• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer: an In-Depth Analysis & Guide

ethadream

Smash Rookie
Great job!

I just want to note that Ivysaur can angle her Razor Leaf by momentum. Meaning, if she is traveling upwards, firing a Razor Leaf will result in it traveling upwards also. Sort of like Luigi's Tornado.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
OK I come baring news I hope is still unknown!! To start squirtles super wavedash can be triggered without use of an up smash and can be used in conjunction with any other attack that works out of regular shelling as I call it or dash dancing in other terms. By simply starting the dash dance then mid shelling push the control stick in the opposite direction but only enough so that the stick slightly taps the outskirts with the control stick's base. If done correctly you will be able to super wave dash everywhere. I have been looking into this and the more I tried the lighter(as in not cranking the control stick in the reverse direction) and faster I managed to imput the combo the further I would get squirtle to slide.

If this has been found out then i apologize, but i have found this out up to a month ago at the games release and havent been able to get onto smash boards.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
OK I come baring news I hope is still unknown!! To start squirtles super wavedash can be triggered without use of an up smash and can be used in conjunction with any other attack that works out of regular shelling as I call it or dash dancing in other terms. By simply starting the dash dance then mid shelling push the control stick in the opposite direction but only enough so that the stick slightly taps the outskirts with the control stick's base. If done correctly you will be able to super wave dash everywhere. I have been looking into this and the more I tried the lighter(as in not cranking the control stick in the reverse direction) and faster I managed to imput the combo the further I would get squirtle to slide.

If this has been found out then i apologize, but i have found this out up to a month ago at the games release and havent been able to get onto smash boards.
yeah it has been found out.

Like more than a month ago :embarrass

M.K

Level 55
I have to disagree about Charizard's Neutral Air. There is a particular situation in which it is useful, and that is when an opponent is approaching from the top left/right and you feel pressured. A short hop NAir sort of "protects" Charizard.

Tenki

Smash Hero
D;

i've only read a few pages, but since it's not updated in the main post, i'll point it out again:
Charizard F-smash is a 2 hit combo. First hit does 5% and 2nd hit does 17%. I think you noticed it when you mentioned it reminding you of Bowser's attack, but didn't write it in.

and an interesting thing to note about Charizard's F-air, it has the most knockback if the first hit of the F-air hits the person.

mathos

Smash Champion
Checked the last three pages before this one and didn't see the topic covered. Pokemon ARE affected by types, to a limited extenct.
Yea I just noticed this the other day while testing vertical and horizontal resistances/weights. My tests were all thrown off because I was using Luigi's upB. But this data should definitely be in the guide.

I'm going to continue working on a complete elemental weakness and resistance test, that way we can tell if its 1.25 multiplier and resist or whatever.

Mezna

Smash Cadet
Oiy! Water gun is awesome man! It's just a situational thing. just charge it up whenever you have time and let it rip when you need it. It reallys helps out against people with slow attacks. For instance, let's say some ario tries to Dsmash you near the edge, you avoid it. Normally you could go punish him with a smash of your own, but if you use water gun you could just push him off the edge WHILE he is still doing his smash. That's just an example scenario though. I mostly find it useful against Links using boomerangs and Lucas' that like PK thunder. That TOTALLY screws them up.

haitianzero

Smash Rookie
I noticed I like keeping WG charged, and then use it to finish an AAA combo. It's actually useful when you jab them near the edge and then use WG; it creates a more of a hassle to them and Squirtle's AAA combo is really fast with an okay knocback at the end, and it also has decent priority over others' AAA combo..

EVE

Smash Rookie
If you have "Tap Jump" turned off on your controller scheme, Hydroplaning doesn't work. Just throwing this out there. I posted this before but I think it was overlooked. I had it turned off and for the longest time, it wouldn't work until I turned Tap Jump back on. I don't know why this is the variable on whether or not hydroplaning works, but it is.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
Squirtles super armor on Fsmash is awesome, it accually starts right after he's fully in the shell and is usefull for beating out high priority moves like pikachu fsmash ect.
If you have "Tap Jump" turned off on your controller scheme, Hydroplaning doesn't work. Just throwing this out there. I posted this before but I think it was overlooked. I had it turned off and for the longest time, it wouldn't work until I turned Tap Jump back on. I don't know why this is the variable on whether or not hydroplaning works, but it is.
Dang I love my nontap jump but i guess this explains why i could never do it.

Death-by-Ownage

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm not a noob at smash bros, but I don't know much about advanced techniques except for wave dashing and some other things, but I don't know anything about Pokemon Trainer and I'm trying to get good with him. I already know about the shellslide thing for squirtle but what else is there?

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace

this is simply because the usmash must be jump-cancelled. If you have tap jump off you can still easily do this by pressing the jump button as/before you usmash.

T-Link

Smash Apprentice
Amazing guide. I main Pokemon Trainer and this is going to help out a lot. Pokemon Trainer is going to take a while to master, but with this guide it shoudn't take that long.

Shamcas

Smash Rookie
Oh!
I do love Pokémon Trainer! Hi's my main with Toon Link!
But I think I prefer PT coz that's a ver good character!
It'd be great if you watch some of my vids in YouTube and comment! ^_^

http://es.youtube.com/user/Shamcas89

Some of the best are:
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=G33qvAChVG8
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=yAezNtJ1Gag

I think I'm quite good with PT, but I'd like to read some comments to improve my game!!
In my opinion, that was a great guide!!
I read all the guide and now I know more things about this incredible character!
Thanks of all!!!

slave1

Smash Lord
Tips for every one. start your games as random once you have become familiar with the charecters. it will give you practice as every one and you wont have a week third leg like i had with ivy.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Starting with Charizard is so awkward, though. I'm not saying Charizard is my worst, but I see the point of Charizard as being what I fall back on. If Ivysaur (My leader) takes a lot of damage after the initial kill or is actually killed, I can usually count on Charizard to be more comfortable with the increased percents or to tie the game back up, with whatever damage Ivysaur managed to do. Then, once Charizard dies, Squirtle gets to come in on a fresh stock. Since he's so light, I like to give him that oppurtunity.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
I agree. Charizard is the only Pokemon I cannot switch out, no matter how tired he gets. You're just begging for Squirtle to be wasted, and seeing as how he's the best of the three (in my opinion), it's a horrible idea unless you're extremely good at not getting hit. Poor Charizard. =(

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Plus, Charizard does the best of the three in fatigued status, which I usually drive him too. I can still manage kills in fatigue, unlike Squirtle which needs to get people into 150% for his throw to kill. Charizard has Flamethrower and his Utilt and Dtilt, which is how I play when I'm using him to survive as long as possible. I let people aproach me. Of course, that doesn't work too well on Falco or Fox, but I play differently versus them, anyway.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Tips for every one. start your games as random once you have become familiar with the charecters. it will give you practice as every one and you wont have a week third leg like i had with ivy.
Yeah that happened with me, so I started starting with ivy then my squirtle started to suck.:urg:

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
about charizards f-smash...

it should be noted that charizards f-smash can hit twice, although the opponent needs to be real close in, and does 22% damage if you get the first hit in
and his up-B move... wow i have KOed ike from 70% damage on FD with that move! what a beast if it hits!

ShadowDigo

Smash Cadet
Oh man, what an AMAZING job you did here.
I've read many, many guides for different characters, but this is by far the best one!
Congratulation on your great job!

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Amazing work on this guide, one of the best one's i've ever seen.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I like your guide, but Charizard in my eyes is more than just backup for Ivysaur. Which is why my first thread was based on improving people's view on Charizard (I'd give yow a link, but I'm new and I am not sure how [once again, I'm new])

XienZo

Smash Lord
About the notes, there actually ARE super effective moves, but only apply to fire/water/grass trio, so electricity (or aura) doesn't effect any, and ONLY affects the PT's pokemon. It also only affects knockback, not damage. There's a thread on it somewhere.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
fire affects ivysaur, and there's a lot of fire attacks in the game, so ivysaur is the only one that has to worry about it outside pt dittos

Alfonzo

Smash Rookie
I love this guide. Made me think of trying out PT the other day and now I'm starting to main the fearsome threesome. :D

Charizard92

Smash Champion
You know, after practically all these days it's been a very long while since someone posted here, wounder if I'd be heard? Anyway, Charizard seems to be a versatile Tank (or powerhouse character [eg. Bowser, Ike, Snake, etc.]) which means he can do practically anything he wants to KO someone, whether it is a blow from a smash attack or a hit from a powerful aerial. This is possibly why he is more useful.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Can I make a suggestion in that you emphasize a little more the decreased knockback of moves when a pokemon is fatigued? I didn't really get that when reading through it the other day.

A simple and impressive example:
The percent needed to kill DDD off the top of FD with Ivysaur's upsmash
77% before the upsmash when Ivysaur was not fatigued
114% before the upsmash when Ivysaur was fatigued

Also, Squirtle has a 1st Jab and 1st and 2nd Jab and Ftilt lock. I couldn't find any with the other two.

Raiderwarlord99

Smash Cadet
I just wanted to say thanks for the awesome guide! It's helped me out alot. But I just have a question regarding squirtle's shell shifting into up smash. Is it possible to do it with the the tap jump off?

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
If you hit the jump button and immedietly input Upsmash it will work, as I do that. C-stick DOES work, its how I do it. Just hit jump first.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
That is what I keep on saying! But, if it was female, Ivysaur would be a hit to the face to those with a low expectation for females (because Ivysaur can be included in that group);)

P.S. I am a guy, but I do also believe in equality (and know of a reason why we haven't reached it yet [Human nature ******])

Card

Smash Lord
omg at so many people who care about what Gender I labeled Ivysaur.

Here's my response

There is no hard proof stating that Ivysaur is either male or female in Smash Brawl. It is merely an interpretation of what gender I felt Ivysaur was based off of the Voice Acting and Body Movements of the character. At the time of when I wrote the guide, I was playing the Japanese version of the game, which does NOT feature the same voice actor for Ivysaur as it does in the American version. The voice was very feminine sounding, as such I dubbed Ivysaur to be the Female Ivysaur. This does not mean that I feel the same way about the American Ivysaur, which sounds very masculine. But, like I said, there is no hard evidence stating that Ivysaur is male or female in Smash Brawl, and it is merely my OPINION that Ivysaur is a Female (I have never claimed Ivysaur to be 100% female, but for the simplicity of pronouns I referred to it as she/her). Either way the gender of Ivysaur bears absolutely no impact on gameplay, and shouldn't even be an issue.

Do I need to update that in the guide as a disclaimer or are you all good with that -_-

Top Bottom