• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer: an In-Depth Analysis & Guide

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
hmmm...

i'm sorry zard92, i didn't mean to be a douchebag and kind of put you down. :(

well, we already have the blueprint here with card's op, it can't be too hard...

i have an idea. i'll take all of the op and copy into a word document and add my own personal changes. and i'll post it as a new thread so you guys can take it apart, correct me, and add your own commentary to it. in addition, you guys can go ahead right now and, say, make your own analysis of a particular move. let's make this a community project. :)

anything we should change about the op? is the general format fine? any sections we should take out? anything we should put in? i think a section on hydroplaning is well-deserved...perhaps something on spacing with ivysaur and zard. pictures depicting how far away you can be to land a particular hit would be nice. anyone got the equipment to take pics and upload them? this isn't a huge priority, but it'd be a nice addition imo. if no one has the equipment i'll try and find my sd card or just buy a new one.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Yeah, we should put in some stuff that we know now then when the guide was written (Charizard's grab game, Ivysaur's camp game, for example). There has been a great shift since this guide was written (or last edited, for that matter), so while it can help newcomers now, an updated guide can help even more.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I have something to note.

Squirtle's Water Gun IS NOT completely useless:

It's good for...

...ANNOYING people.

Yes.

That's right.

Please note that a fully charged Water Gun makes smashers slide away quite a bit. It may be good for pushing away approaching opponents.

Also, I find that Withdraw has decent priority...good for use in crowds...

Onxy

Smash Lord
Here's a use for watergun. If someone is expecting your Squirtle to approach with an aerial. Stop, Watergun, push them off stage. They have to get back on, Squirtle has the advantage until the opponent fully recovers. Yay watergun!

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Here's a use for watergun. If someone is expecting your Squirtle to approach with an aerial. Stop, Watergun, push them off stage. They have to get back on, Squirtle has the advantage until the opponent fully recovers. Yay watergun!
That might work...

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Don't know if this is already known (Can't find anything on it)
But if you do the controls for a pivot walk (hold A and cstick in diagnol motion upwards and away from the direction your facing) and you do a dash you'll stay in your shell for a while. If you shield out of it you'll get a slide.

zeta

Smash Journeyman
Don't know if this is already known (Can't find anything on it)
But if you do the controls for a pivot walk (hold A and cstick in diagnol motion upwards and away from the direction your facing) and you do a dash you'll stay in your shell for a while. If you shield out of it you'll get a slide.
whaaaaaaaaaaaa?

can you be a lttle clearer on the inputs and effects

Barge

All I want is a custom title
whaaaaaaaaaaaa?

can you be a lttle clearer on the inputs and effects
You've been to the pivot walking thread, right?
You hold A and Walk and move the cstick in an upwards diagnol direction opposite of the way your walking?
Well if you do it with squirtle and you do a shell turn, you'll stay in your shell for like 1-2 seconds.

zeta

Smash Journeyman
so i visited the pivot waliking thread today and wondered should we be doing this if it cuts our grab lag down? or increases or grab length? i looked up the throwing info and saw ivys grab lag is less on pivot grabs and squirtles range is bigger. THoughts?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
This isn't anything productive, but I felt I must comment on how amazing this guide is. Everything is so well structured, and it looks great. I enjoyed all the nice little images and all da colors. I just recently gained interest in PT for his adverse playstyle so I came here. Very informational. Extremely long and complex, but awesome. I'll have to take a day to just read the whole thing :laugh:

:093:

CRSN

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the guide. I tried the Razor Leaf into Up+B against the CPU and it worked, I'm gonna test it out against my friends to see their reaction.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I think that tether hogging the ledge is equally as effective as TL's chinig the ledge. It's a little more button pushing to do than TL, tilt-Z chain re-recovery. All it is is just recover, down up B then B again for the instant tether and regain your invincibility frames. Idk if this has ever been brought up but i though it would be nice to share it incase it hasnt.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Yeah all tethering characters can instaly go back to tether after dropping down, the 1 advantage of tethering. But don't use it out of practical use because second your off the stage and they are hogging you.. you are **** outta luck.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
If you're holding the edge with the wine, can other characters grab it? Will you freefall if they do?

This guide is awesome, I'm going for my first tournament this weekend (for possible sweden readers, see you at upcon!! ÒoÓ ) and I'm gonna play as PT. I was going to go MK, but when playing against a friend I realized I did much better with PT, which is great ^_^

Did we tell everyone the squirtle's side-b owns too? You're not just superarmor, you're invincible and can't be grabbed o.O! You keep doing it for quite long if you hold the a-stick forward, and you can end it by holding the a-stick back. I always, if I get knocked away and high, dubblejump and side-b. It works, haven't been gimped while doing it... yet.

Edit: I re-read and reached enlightment.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
No; if you're holding the ledge no other characters can grab it. You don't have any ledge invincibility frames until you're on the actual ledge, though.

You can be grabbed out of Withdraw. Ice Blocks go through it. If you get foot stooled in Withdraw I do not believe you can get out of the "I've fallen and I can't get up animation" until Squirtle falls on the ground. Therefore, it results in instant-death off-stage. I've never really tested it though. Also, if you get hit you get sent away in the other direction, or off-stage.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Thank you retro! Glad I heard that before the tournament, learning that the hard way would have been annoying >.<

Well, that vine-thing might prove useful then, just grab the edge whenever they might hit you, wine it again when they can't ^_^

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Holy ****!

You guys, discovery!

If you, when you leave your "shellshift", keep holding right but tap left just before tapping left will make you run left, you can slide very far. If you do this, you can slide half of FD AND TAUNT AT THE SAME TIME!!

A-W-E-S-O-M-E!

You can probably do other things to, but this looked flashy as hell, especially the sidetaunt. He slides on his tail and spins, it's just so uncomparably sexy :pimp:

Edit: I just slided and taunted 2/3 of BF o.O (The turnaround was just on the edge, from there 2/3) Retry: I slided 3/4!! :D

edit x2: I just realized you don't tap left, you just make sure squirtle turns around just when he leaves the shell. The longer you hold right before that, the longer and faster he will slide

Caasi11

Smash Cadet
Wait a second, can you clear up some things about this? First, give us a starting position (facing left/right). Then, can you give us STEP BY STEP instructions on what you're doing?

However, this sounds A LOT to me like regular Shellshifting but I have never seen somebody taunt on one, so I can't be sure. Anyone else find Rkey's "find" odd? O_o

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Ok, sorry. Here we go:

(directions can be inverted)

- Run right
- Hit the a-stick left (turnaround animation)
- Keep holding left
- Just before squirtle leaves his shell and starts running left, tap right enough to make him turn around but not too much too make him dash.

Result: Squirtle will slide (slide, from the position he leaves his shell) a distance equal to half och FD, but he won't have to do anything, he'll just slide. Therefore, we can taunt:

- When you have pressed right with a short tap, imiiedeatly press any taunt. Squirtle will get sexy.

This guy does it with d-smash and such, but taunting is cooler ^_^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVACbTqdmbY

Caasi11

Smash Cadet
This has been known for QUITE the while, its nothing new. Next time you discover something, check the topics around here before you announce something like this here, OK? :D

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
This has been known for QUITE the while, its nothing new. Next time you discover something, check the topics around here before you announce something like this here, OK? :D
But, you guys never taunted... Or I'm just an idiot, sorry.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Hey, it's ok. New to the PT boards? Welcome aboard. most of us are pretty harsh if something's been discovered already, but, hey, you didn't know. I don't think we ever mentioned taunting either, but I mean, that's probably because taunting has no real battle application. Sexy, though.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Hey, it's ok. New to the PT boards? Welcome aboard. most of us are pretty harsh if something's been discovered already, but, hey, you didn't know. I don't think we ever mentioned taunting either, but I mean, that's probably because taunting has no real battle application. Sexy, though.
Thanks ^_^

I came back to make sure you added that the d-tilt has a sweetspot, which does the 12% damage and the knockback. Otherwise I think it's 8%. Sweetspot is at the edge of the attack.

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
I've been playing the game for a while now, main the PT and this guide helped when i read it awhile ago. i'm actually well rounded with every pokemon probably squirts is my best followed by charizard and ivy. Well actually guess who I'm playing but I'm very well rounded. I'm going to try to get some vids up soon. I've watched a bunch and learned but there are somethings even with Zeta when i watch him but not criticizing anything. Not really sure who else is "top PT" but i'll gladly give anyone a run for their money. Guess thats all i have to say for now...

13th Nightmare

Smash Cadet
I did play as the Pokemon Trainer when I first got the game. But after I started unlocking other characters, he got left behind. But after reading this guide, this has made me want to play as the Pokemon Trainer once again, and get better with him. So many thanks for making this guide

NJel

Smash Rookie
Thanks!

Newbie here to Pokemon Trainer!

Thanks for the guide, I think it's given me enough fundamentals to at least grasp the character concept. I use all three, but, sorry Charizard's my favorite. ^_^

Hopefully I can get way better with P. Trainer. My brother keeps beating me with Link (Regular not Toon).

Dr.Faust

Smash Cadet
Hay I have a question. Is it just me or is grabbing with R+A harder in SSBB then In SSBM, I know this is not a PT question but Im trying to do it with PT's pokemon and its much harder then when I did it in SSBM with Roy and M2

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Welll, a bit of a bump.

Brawl doesn't have light shielding. Any amount of pressing the shield button + A would result in a grab in Melee, however you won't shield in Brawl until it's all the way pressed in, thus hitting A will attack instead of grab. That's probably the issue here. Best solution imo to not screw with you in Melee is get a second Brawl controller with the shoulder button springs removed.

Dr.Faust

Smash Cadet
Welll, a bit of a bump.

Brawl doesn't have light shielding. Any amount of pressing the shield button + A would result in a grab in Melee, however you won't shield in Brawl until it's all the way pressed in, thus hitting A will attack instead of grab. That's probably the issue here. Best solution imo to not screw with you in Melee is get a second Brawl controller with the shoulder button springs removed.
Aren't modded controllers banned.

T-block

B2B TST
Newbie here to Pokemon Trainer!

Thanks for the guide, I think it's given me enough fundamentals to at least grasp the character concept. I use all three, but, sorry Charizard's my favorite. ^_^

Hopefully I can get way better with P. Trainer. My brother keeps beating me with Link (Regular not Toon).
Hey there - you should know that this guide was actually written before the game even came out in North America, so it's definitely a little outdated. I suggest you read this thread (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=247362) now, to get a more current view of how to play Pokemon Trainer.

Hay I have a question. Is it just me or is grabbing with R+A harder in SSBB then In SSBM, I know this is not a PT question but Im trying to do it with PT's pokemon and its much harder then when I did it in SSBM with Roy and M2
Shouldn't be any harder. As Supreme Dirt said, make sure you are pressing the shoulder buttons all the way in.

Aren't modded controllers banned.
Yes, but removal of the shoulder button springs is typically allowed, as it's a minor mod that doesn't actually change the player's ability to do anything.

Top Bottom