• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon Released! Discuss here!

Are you excited?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Since I just beat Moon and the after-game quests, let's talk about...
The odds we would see a sequel to these games to happen like with Black and White.

I mean, there's a fair amount of clues we'll likely get one:
- Lilie would coming back from Kanto and became a well trained Trainer.
- Lusamine's current state is still in limbo.
- Several places throughout the game are under construction, which would suggests the towns will have new buildings.
- And of course the thing surrounding the 3rd member of this generation's legendary trio.
- EDIT: And let's not forget how Mina doesn't have her own trial either.

However, since Kalos hasn't got its own sequel, the chances cannot be called as guaranteed, but the points I quoted seem to indicate Alola has a better chance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Since I just beat Moon and the after-game quests, let's talk about...
The odds we would see a sequel to these games to happen like with Black and White.

I mean, there's a fair amount of clues we'll likely get one:
- Lilie would coming back from Kanto and became a well trained Trainer.
- Lusamine's current state is still in limbo.
- Several places throughout the game are under construction, which would suggests the towns will have new buildings.
- And of course the thing surrounding the 3rd member of this generation's legendary trio.
- EDIT: And let's not forget how Mina doesn't have her own trial either.

However, since Kalos hasn't got its own sequel, the chances cannot be called as guaranteed, but the points I quoted seem to indicate Alola has a better chance.
I think so too.

I can't see them adding in Necrozma and his backstory without them having a timeskip. It would also be way more cool to see adult Hau, Gladion, and Lillie.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Palossand seems to me like a ground type specifically meant to deal with Araquanid. I'm not sure if it actually can...

Defense based and an ability that ups defense when hit by water attacks.

Araquanid hits with Liquidation, if Palossand survives he gets upped defense and can heal up

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What I find to be strange is how people may treat Araquanid as being too powerful. I get that Water Bubble doubles the base power of Water-type attacks, but anything with the ability Water Absorb, Storm Drain, or Dry Skin pretty much renders Water-type attacks useless. And a base 70 attack is rather subpar, so it's not going to pack much power with the other attack types.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What I find to be strange is how people may treat Araquanid as being too powerful. I get that Water Bubble doubles the base power of Water-type attacks, but anything with the ability Water Absorb, Storm Drain, or Dry Skin pretty much renders Water-type attacks useless. And a base 70 attack is rather subpar, so it's not going to pack much power with the other attack types.
That depends, is he powerful enough that it forces people to have one of those on their team just to counter araquanid?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That depends, is he powerful enough that it forces people to have one of those on their team just to counter araquanid?
That I don't really know. Also, some people think that Zygarde's Complete Forme is highly uber, but it doesn't hit any harder than a Sandslash without any Coil or Dragon Dance boosts.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Anyone looking to do some wifi battling? Singles with just three Pokemon is so unsatisfying.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Palossand has been one of my useful Pokemon for Showdown being able to take Toxapex out with 2 hits (no Sp attack investment and neutral nature) with Earth power. But it'll probably be badly poisoned by toxic before it kills it.. can't wait for Bank to be updated so I can give it Ancient power :lol:

D

Deleted member

Playing through the game third and last time ironically still haven't finished the story but this time I intend to. Chose Rowlet of course I'll say this much I love Rowlet, Dartrix, and Decidueye. And Decidueye is probably going to become my new favourite Pokemon. It's stats are decent and the evolutionary line is great. No better Pokemon for me then it. And all three are amazing Pokemon. That out of the way Yeah Palossand does seem like a good Pokemon.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I come back from a several month old Smashboards coma I deliberately chose to have because I wanted to play Pokémon Sun without spoilers before, and it really was worth it. The Z-moves and trials with totem boss battles were awesome surprises and I'm glad I had no clue about these. But of course the most important thing to discover are the Pokémon themselves. It feels so much more great to find a new Pokémon for the first time walking in tall grass or from an in-game trainer rather than some online leak or official announcement, and it's an experience I'd recommend to anyone who can imagine themselves having the patience to deliberately avoid pre-release spoilers.

So here the Pokémon and what I thought about them: bold are my favorites

Rowlet: it's the starter family I picked at the start of my journey. I was spoiled that the Grass starter line was going to be a bird so not hugely surprising. I initiall found Rowlet to look pretty average, especially alongside the meh-looking Litten and Popplio, but I chose it because I found it to be the most okay of the bunch. Then it started growing on me almost immediately after I've done my choice for good. First I loved the fact we finally a first-stage dual-typed starter other than Bulbasaur, and started to really appreciate his appearance and cry. I really didn't regret my choice at all.
Dartrix: I was so excited to evolve my starter! I didn't know what to expect, so I wasn't disappointed with the result, with an appealing color scheme and an awesome new cry. Its animations really show a lot of personality too.
Decidueye: when I got its exclusive Z-crystal I hasn't evolved my Dartrix yet, which means I knew its French name "Archéduc" (I play in French my native language) before having the opportunity to see its design. And I was really surprised by the final evolution, first with the design but mostly after when seeing its typing in the Pokédex entry, trades Flying for Ghost what?! That's so awesome! The secondary typing makes sense for a sinister owl that looks like Skull Kid, after all. Anyway I found this Pokémon to look awesome and it made me even more satisfied with my starter choice. My favorite starter line of this generation without a doubt, with every evolutionary stage having its own kind of unique appeal yet never disappoint.

• Litten: I got that name spoiled soon after the first batch of Sun and Moon infos besides Magearna so I assumed it was a cat and the Fire starter, so when I got the Fire-type "Flamiaou" I wasn't surprised by the concept. I wasn't very impressed by the design, a stoic cat with huge whiskers that looks like it was painted rather than having a natural color coat... didn't really catch my interest.
• Torracat: so during my adventure I got a Litten from the GTS with the sole intention to see its evolutions after I evolved my Dartrix, without planning to use it in my in-game team. I liked it much more than Litten, with a more appealing face, body shape and coloration - I liked how it's now mostly red than black. The fire bell was a pretty neat detail too. I found it to be a huge improvement over Litten.
• Incineroar: so I was in the process of leveling up my Torracat in order to see what its final evolution would look like; Torracat was such an improvement in my eyes it made me regret my first impression on Litten, so the final evolution is going to look awesome, right? Well, I was kinda disappointed. The appealing proportions of Torracat's design blended with just the right amount of cartoonism, gone. Instead I got an angry bipedal tiger that looks like a Kung Fu Panda villain and with a weird idle animation. Although it since grew on me and I now appreciate it for what it is, especially after seeing its official art and its exclusive Z-move which gives it so much personality.

• Popplio: I got that thing's design spoiled early before I had the idea to force my browser to not display images from Smashboards, so thank you to whoever put it at their profile pic May 10. I tried to forget it but I still had a loose image of what looked like a fusion between Snivy and Oshawott in my mind. For my first impression I wasn't really impressed, I didn't reall like its so clownish appearance, and I honestly can't say I'm surprised when I later figured out that it was the starter that got the most flak by the fanbase in the pre-release era, although its clownish appearance has grown on me and doesn't really bother me anymore.
• Brionne: I saw that thing before I had the time to evolve my Rowlet, I was like what? It's the same kind of clownish thing as before but now it's effeminated, which surprised me since Popplio looked fairly gender neutral.
• Primarina: I doesn't look as clownish as its preevolved forms, although I found it at first to look kinda messy, I wasn't sure what I thought about it. I liked the fact it's the first Fairy-type starter, which is funny because when I saw Popplio using Disarming Voice I joked about it but it ended up being true. The feminine appearance doesn't bother me, overall it's a pretty fine Pokémon.

Reviewing the seventh generation of Pokémon will take a little while, so I'll do it in multiple parts. The starters have been done, so I'll try at least to review the early-route Normal types of this generation in my next post.

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Sorry for double posting, but it's been a little while since I have posted my review of this gen's starters, so here are the early route Normal-types:

• Pikipek: so this is the bird we saw during the first video that announced Pokémon Sun and Moon back in Febuary, now with its final colors. There's not much I have to say about it, it's a okay woodpeeker that does its job at being the first route bird fine. I like the fact it got Skill Link as its ability, flavor-wise it's pretty fitting for a woodpeeker who repeatedly pecks trees.
• Trumbeak: nothing too shocking from evolving it from Pikipek, it just looks less juveline. I just don't like how it animates it beak in some attack animations with its "duckface" beak.
• Toucannon: I already knew there was a toucan Pokémon because of in-game overworld elements, but what I didn't expect was for it to be this line's final evolution. Imagine my surprise when I evolved my Trumbeak expecting a design I've never seen before and instead it evolves into something I already knew but thought was from an unrelated evolutionary family! That said this is an idea I found to be clever, because it makes me want to imagine the bird with the biggest beak with the pecking habit of another bird... this sounds like a dangerous combination to anyone who would be attacked by it! Besides it looks pretty awesome, although maybe a little too close to a real-world toucan.

• Yungoos: this gen's typical early Normal-type. To be fair it actually made me want to actually use it for some time, because I liked how it looked cute yet consistantly angry at the same time. Because of its French name "Manglouton" I thought it was based at least on a wolverine ("glouton" in French) which particularly made me want to use it, although it doesn't seem like it's actually the case as the "glouton" part of its French name seems to likely just mean "glutton".
• Gumshoos: as I have Sun this is what I had to fight in the Verdant Cavern thus giving me the opportunity to discover Yungoos' evolution. Nothing too shocking, it's bigger and has a similar design, although I wasn't fond of its grin. Yungoos kinda made me want to use it because it looks tough, while Gumshoos just looks... mean. Although for sure its cry is memorable and super hilarious.

Rattata: to be fair regional forms are something I anticipated prior to the game's release. The reason for this is because I saw mentioned "Alola Exeggutor" with little context, and I didn't know what it was supposed to mean, nor did I want to look at it myself of course. But what if it was a sort of special Pokémon variant that isn't just an isolated case for Exeggutor? So yeah, I didn't get regional forms outright spoiled, but I still got a strong hint at them. It doesn't change the fact I was shocked when the first route's first trainer sent this: "Oh I'm discovering a new generation and what the first trainer sends me is a freaking Rattata? How bori- OH WAIT WHAT THE HECK" So after the shock of discovering a redesigned old gen mon I was wondering what it could mean for Rattata specifically. The black coloration and the bipedal pose kinda made me think it adopted some sort of tribal bellicose portrayal. I was also surprised by its in-game strength, wondering what kind of stats or ability it could have, which indeed was Hustle, coincidentally regular Rattata's hidden ability.
Raticate: Rattata having a new regional form made me want to see its evolution, which I had the opportunity to discover against a Team Skull grunt. The black coloration was expected, but I was surprised by its big, kinda off-putting cheeks. It looked like some sort of unhealthy rat. Later I learned about the origin of Yungoos and Alolan Rattata lines, which is a quite well-done reinterpretation of real-life events (there were too many rats in Hawaii, so humans imported mongooses to regulate them, but the later are diurnal and with rats being nocturnal the species never interacted much).

Gonna review at least the Electric-types Raichu and Grubbin's line in the next post.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That I don't really know. Also, some people think that Zygarde's Complete Forme is highly uber, but it doesn't hit any harder than a Sandslash without any Coil or Dragon Dance boosts.
Zygarde-Complete isn't uber because of solely its attack power...it's its insane bulkiness that lets it then set up Coil to sweep. The thing lives forever, basically. That's why it's uber.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Speaking of Ubers..
which of the UBS are most likely going to be banned from OU?
My guesses are going to be Pheromosa, xurkitree, kartana, and possibly Celesteela. I'm unsure about Guzzlord, and Buzzwole but Nihilego is probably going to stay OU since Chomp, Excadrill and Lando are going to be hard countering it..

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Zygarde-Complete isn't uber because of solely its attack power...it's its insane bulkiness that lets it then set up Coil to sweep. The thing lives forever, basically. That's why it's uber.
Zygarde can tank physical hits, but special attacks are a different story. Zygarde has no way to boost its special defense, and even its physical defense isn't enough to keep something like a Mega Mawile from Play Roughing it to death.

Also, unlike Blissey, Zygarde lacks a good HP healing move, so it often depends on another Pokemon to keep its HP healthy.

Basically, Zygarde needs to get those Coil boosts in while the match-up is in its favor, but any bad match-ups could see Zygarde getting crushed before it's all ready to sweep. And of course, critical hits do ignore all defense boosts, while some Pokemon can make Zygarde's stat boosts go to waste by using Haze or by having a move or item that forces Zygarde to switch out.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Zygarde can tank physical hits, but special attacks are a different story. Zygarde has no way to boost its special defense, and even its physical defense isn't enough to keep something like a Mega Mawile from Play Roughing it to death.

Also, unlike Blissey, Zygarde lacks a good HP healing move, so it often depends on another Pokemon to keep its HP healthy.

Basically, Zygarde needs to get those Coil boosts in while the match-up is in its favor, but any bad match-ups could see Zygarde getting crushed before it's all ready to sweep. And of course, critical hits do ignore all defense boosts, while some Pokemon can make Zygarde's stat boosts go to waste by using Haze or by having a move or item that forces Zygarde to switch out.
If you think its defenses aren't good, you're playing Zygarde wrong.

Rest, Sleep Talk, Coil, Thousand Arrows. Full HP and SpDef investment. Black Kyurem with Max Special Attack using Ice Beam (the most damaging 4x super effective move in Ubers) isn't enough to guarantee a OHKO (it comes close, but not a guarantee).

THAT makes it Uber.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Speaking of Ubers..
which of the UBS are most likely going to be banned from OU?
My guesses are going to be Pheromosa, xurkitree, kartana, and possibly Celesteela. I'm unsure about Guzzlord, and Buzzwole but Nihilego is probably going to stay OU since Chomp, Excadrill and Lando are going to be hard countering it..
Pheremosa is definitely likely. It both has the speed to outrun many Pokémon, even base 150s like Mega Aerodactyl, and the power to be able to hit hard. Perhaps the one weakness it has is that it is suspectable to being revenge killed, but other than that, I could see in being banned.

Xurkitree is just... Why? Sure, it has that nuclear Special Attack, but it's pretty mediocre everywhere else... I can at least see it having a set for Ubers, like Choice Scarf, or something, but as far as it being banned to the tier? I dunno if I'll see that happening...

Kartana makes sense, as well, with that massive Attack and good Speed tier. It's just mainly gotta watch out for special attacks.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Pheremosa is definitely likely. It both has the speed to outrun many Pokémon, even base 150s like Mega Aerodactyl, and the power to be able to hit hard. Perhaps the one weakness it has is that it is suspectable to being revenge killed, but other than that, I could see in being banned.

Xurkitree is just... Why? Sure, it has that nuclear Special Attack, but it's pretty mediocre everywhere else... I can at least see it having a set for Ubers, like Choice Scarf, or something, but as far as it being banned to the tier? I dunno if I'll see that happening...

Kartana makes sense, as well, with that massive Attack and good Speed tier. It's just mainly gotta watch out for special attacks.
It's because of the beast boost boosting its already high Sp attack higher and I have a feeling people are going to complain about it lol. Especially with Sticky web out.. its going to go nuclear in that situation

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If you think its defenses aren't good, you're playing Zygarde wrong.

Rest, Sleep Talk, Coil, Thousand Arrows. Full HP and SpDef investment. Black Kyurem with Max Special Attack using Ice Beam (the most damaging 4x super effective move in Ubers) isn't enough to guarantee a OHKO (it comes close, but not a guarantee).

THAT makes it Uber.
Rest + Sleep Talk combos don't always work as planned, since you may end up using Rest or Coil instead of Thousand Arrows.

Also, don't you mean White Kyurem? Black Kyurem's special attack is weaker than that of the standard Kyurem.

And based on the damage calculations, when using Ice Beam, White Kyurem 1-hit KOs Careful 50% Forme Zygarde, and has a 56.3% chance to 1-hit KO Careful Complete Forme Zygarde. As for Zygarde, it needs to have +3 attack to 1-hit KO White Kyurem with Stone Edge, while Thousand Arrows can't 1-hit KO White Kyurem at all until Zygarde has +6 attack, or gets lucky with a +3 attack critical hit.

Basically, having Thousand Arrows be your only attacking move probably isn't the best move if there are match-ups where Stone Edge is the better attack. And of course, Extreme Speed finishes off weakened opponents as well.

Of course, I don't keep full tabs on competitive movesets, but I just know that you're playing a game of chance with Rest + Sleep Talk, and it's not always a favorable outcome. As such, having a Chesto Berry would pretty much help Zygarde avoid such a dilemma.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Rest + Sleep Talk combos don't always work as planned, since you may end up using Rest or Coil instead of Thousand Arrows.

Also, don't you mean White Kyurem? Black Kyurem's special attack is weaker than that of the standard Kyurem.

And based on the damage calculations, when using Ice Beam, White Kyurem 1-hit KOs Careful 50% Forme Zygarde, and has a 56.3% chance to 1-hit KO Careful Complete Forme Zygarde. As for Zygarde, it needs to have +3 attack to 1-hit KO White Kyurem with Stone Edge, while Thousand Arrows can't 1-hit KO White Kyurem at all until Zygarde has +6 attack, or gets lucky with a +3 attack critical hit.

Basically, having Thousand Arrows be your only attacking move probably isn't the best move if there are match-ups where Stone Edge is the better attack. And of course, Extreme Speed finishes off weakened opponents as well.

Of course, I don't keep full tabs on competitive movesets, but I just know that you're playing a game of chance with Rest + Sleep Talk, and it's not always a favorable outcome. As such, having a Chesto Berry would pretty much help Zygarde avoid such a dilemma.
RestTalk works just fine; it lasts long enough to waste a turn or two if it does something bad while asleep.

Yeah, I meant White. Slip of the...finger, I guess. Of course it OHKOs 50%. I was talking specifically about Complete, which isn't a guaranteed OHKO.

Why would it matter if TA is your only offensive move when Zygarde-C is bulky enough to tank virtually anything? Everything still goes down in enough hits.

But yeah, Chesto's needed. Left that out of my first post.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
RestTalk works just fine; it lasts long enough to waste a turn or two if it does something bad while asleep.

Yeah, I meant White. Slip of the...finger, I guess. Of course it OHKOs 50%. I was talking specifically about Complete, which isn't a guaranteed OHKO.

Why would it matter if TA is your only offensive move when Zygarde-C is bulky enough to tank virtually anything? Everything still goes down in enough hits.

But yeah, Chesto's needed. Left that out of my first post.
The one thing that always needs to be kept in mind, however, is which items your opponent is holding. White Kyurem gets the guaranteed 1-hit KO with Ice Beam if it's holding a Life Orb, even if it goes Timid instead of Modest.

You can't exactly prepare for everything, and if you don't get those Coil boosts in before the bad match-ups pop up, Zygarde could get taken down before it has the power to get a guaranteed 2-hit KO with Thousand Arrows; Mega Gardevoir, Cloyster, Mega Slowbro, and Hydreigon are a few notable examples. And if Zygarde falls asleep with Rest, its opponents can potentially take it out before it wakes up if their attacks are guaranteed 3-hit KOs, and Zygarde is having rotten luck with Sleep Talk.

At the end of the story though, it all comes down to what moveset you're focusing on for Zygarde, whether it's a Rest + Sleep Talk set, or a set that includes Stone Edge and Extreme Speed for additional coverage and an increased priority finisher. Thousand Arrows and Coil are pretty much sticking around, no matter which road you're taking.

At least in a double battle, Comfey can always restore Zygarde's HP at any time. Of course, unlike Rest, Floral Healing doesn't heal burns, which really hurts Zygarde's physical offense.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Does the female pass both the pokeball AND hidden ability? I have a male with a heavy ball but my female has the HA

When I do it that way, the HA is passed but not the heavy ball. When I do it the reverse way, the heavy ball is passed but not the HA

I guess I have to try and find ANOTHER with the hidden ability and catch it with a heavy ball...

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Does the female pass both the pokeball AND hidden ability? I have a male with a heavy ball but my female has the HA

When I do it that way, the HA is passed but not the heavy ball. When I do it the reverse way, the heavy ball is passed but not the HA

I guess I have to try and find ANOTHER with the hidden ability and catch it with a heavy ball...
The female is the only one that can pass down pokeballs and HAs if a male of the same egg group is present but the males and genderless Pokemon can pass down their pokeball (finally) and HA with ditto. You would still need to find a female with the HA and catch it with a heavy ball though (or a HA male and breed it with ditto to get a HA female in a heavy ball).. they should add a chance of the male passing down its ball imo.. it would make things easier

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
The female is the only one that can pass down pokeballs and HAs if a male of the same egg group is present but the males and genderless Pokemon can pass down their pokeball (finally) and HA with ditto. You would still need to find a female with the HA and catch it with a heavy ball though (or a HA male and breed it with ditto to get a HA female in a heavy ball).. they should add a chance of the male passing down its ball imo.. it would make things easier
But that's the case, now males can pass down their ball if bred with a female Pokémon of the same species (and thus same Pokédex number). For example I bred female HA Level Ball Pangoro with male Ultra Ball Pangoro and one of the child Pancham was in an Ultra Ball with HA.

D

Deleted member

Good in depth-post Regice nice to hear your thoughts on the game there in depth and a nice thing to listen to. I look forward to hearing more. Zygarde I guess falls into the category of uber. But even they aren't onveryses at least.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
But that's the case, now males can pass down their ball if bred with a female Pokémon of the same species (and thus same Pokédex number). For example I bred female HA Level Ball Pangoro with male Ultra Ball Pangoro and one of the child Pancham was in an Ultra Ball with HA.
*Checks by putting a female Rockruff in a timer ball with a male Rockruff in a beast ball* and I got a beast ball rockruff in about 13 eggs.. it must be a small percentage chance then since it took a little while for me to find one.. But at least they did implement it lol.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I can continue my gen 7 Pokémon reviews, this time without having to apology for double posting :p

Raichu: just gonna talk a little about Marowak for the sake of context (though a complete Alola Marowak review is obviously gonna happen later), I discovered Alola Marowak in the Fire trial, which confused me because Cubone didn't have an Alolan form. It still confused me after the trial because I didn't calculate that it meant Alola Marowak evolves from regular Cubone. So I got to the Ula-Ula island, meaning I had to fight Hau, I assumed he had a Pichu since his first battle just because Pikachu being the series mascot made it a no-brainer evolutionary line to give to the (friendly) rival, and I expected him to have old classic Raichu by this point. Imagine my surprise when I saw that dark-colored Raichu who uses its tail as a surfboard! I literally was like "WHAT THE HECK?!" Now at least I know that evolved Pokémon can have an Alolan form while their pre-evolutions don't have and thus evolve from the later in original form, giving me a definite answer to the Marowak mystery. Shock discovering aside, in a region set in Hawaii I fully expected a surf-based new Pokémon and I guess this new Raichu form fulfills that niche. I can also notice that its design now puts a more important emphasis on cuteness rather than looking "cool" like regular Raichu does. I also like its unique dual typing, although it wasn't executed in the way I imagined it at all (a neuron that evolves into a bipedal nervous system).

• Grubbin: this is a bug, but I had no idea what it was meant to represent or what it evolutions could look like, so I don't have much to say about it.
• Charjabug: so this is the evolution of the bug I discovered earlier? I found that thing super wierd, but between its rectangular appearance, its simple mandibles and especially its French name "Chrysapile" ("pile" is French for battery) it was super obvious that it was a battery bug thing... oh wait another Bug/Electric type? Out of all the unique type combinations out there this one in particular was among the last ones I expected to ever be used again lol. Anyway, it caught me off-guard since even though Grubbin didn't look very inspiring to me I would never have gessed that its line would be battery-themed (I only discovered later that Grubbin learns Sparks too), although I suppose in hindsight it now makes sense given that its mandibles are supposed to make it look like a plug.
• Vikavolt: so I found Charjabug to look weird and not super appealing, but I got to discover its evolution entering the fifth trial. Since it started with Grubbin and Charjabug it told me to expect the final stage to show up as the Totem Pokémon, so I was excited to discover a brand new face, and it really didn't disappoint. My reaction was "Woah, it looks awesome!" thanks to its great color scheme and huge mandibles that made it look like a gun. After beating the trial I strongly considered adding one to my team, so I later leveled up my Grubbin and evolved it into Charjabug, then leveled it up and... nothing. I assumed it was because of a special evolution method, so I tried to evolve it by getting one from the GTS but it wasn't by trade, neither with a Thunder Stone. My third theory was that it used the same way to evolve as Magneton and Nosepass, because wouldn't it be cool if an evolution method that was first introduced to handwave cross-generational evolutions was used for a brand new evolutionary family from the same generation? Coincidentally my theory happened to be right, but I only found that later by checking on the internet because I tried to search the special magnetic field location and failed to find it (it actually was Grand Poni Canyon, which I honestly wouldn't have guessed - I first tried to evolve a Nosepass before checking if my Charjabug magnetic field evolution theory was right). When checking its stats I also was super disappointed, that thing looked like a fast physical counterpart to Ganvantula especially since it used only physical moves in the Totem fight yet I instead got a slow-as-heck thing with average-at-best stats overall except for a Chandelure level of special attack.

Meowth: my second Alola form discovery, which I found to be similar in a way with Rattata, because of it being a darker-colored Dark-type again. It just looked like an uninspiring recolor to me, asides from trading the "cool" factor for being more "elegant" I guess.
Persian: after beating the Electric trial I was warned that I was going to go to a Ghost-themed one, so I needed Dark-types in my team. Thus I started training my Meowth I caught early in the game, and was curious to see its evolution. I found it to take quite a lot of time to evolve, at which level did Meowth evolve into Persian originally? I was kinda tempted to check online but I knew doing so I would put myself at the risk of spoilers, so I resisted the temptation. It finally evolved at level 34 (I later learned that it was a friendship-based evolution for this form) so I was happy to finally see it evolve, and... wait what's this huge head? They've completely thrown original Persian's coolness out the window, by replacing it with... funny cartoonism I guess? What I don't like about this form's design is that they took a Pokémon with quite realistic proportions overall and with just the small right amount of cartoonism to it, and replaced its head with a super cartoony and oversized one that doesn't fit its body very well. I don't like the fact the vibe it gives really doesn't remind me of original Persian either. At least I can appreciate the reference to the chartreux cat, but I wish the execution was done better.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I actually got it to work, the male with the ball

I was just unlucky

It's a % chance. This is different than X and Y

I wanted a Galvanize Geodude with a heavy Ball, but I didn't want to use my heavy ball because I had only one, so I traded on the GTS.

It worked though, I now have a 5 IV (LOL special attack useless) Geodude with Galvinize in a heavy ball

This was also the problem

I tried to breed a female Golem with a male geodude.

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Another post, another gen 7 Pokémon review!

Grimer: I run into tall grass and I see... how, a recolored Grimer, a new Alola form! Doesn't change too much from original Grimer, asides from the fact it now has fangs, which I see give it access to biting moves. Now it really looks like a dangerous zombie that really wants to eat your brain rather than just a pile of toxic goo, but it's still for the third time in a row a new regional form for an old Pokémon is a Dark-type recolor... I want more diversity please!
Muk: I discovered it in a trainer battle close to the recycling plant, and given the theme of the trainer and location I expected Alola Grimer's evolution to show up. I just expected this Muk variant to follow the same pattern as its pre-evolved form, just green with a yellow mark bellow its mouth... and how surprised I was, they didn't just make it look pretictable, they really went nuts with the coloration, it looks like a typical representation of the mind of a person on drugs ahah. Wait, no, they just didn't give it a mess of colors, they animated it so thet visibly move on its body, which combined with the fact it drops the rather oblivious appearance of original Muk now makes it look like a fearsome monster that just wants to spread terror!

• Crabrawler: I first saw it during mu first Hakuna fight, after Mankey and Makuhita I expected a brand new Pokémon to show up and I was right. Why a crab with boxing gloves, what is that supposed to represent? Asides from that I first found its color scheme to be weird and I wasn't fond of its appearance, an impression that lasted for quite some time so I left it in my PC after I got to encounter a wild one and caught it afterwards. Then I considered giving it a shot especially since I wanted a Fighting-type so I put it on my team and its design actually grown on me. Yeah it looks weird, but I found it later to be an appealing kind of weird, it shows plenty of combative personality from its appearence alone, and its unusual color scheme is actually well done. Its French name "Crabagarre" also helped, it isn't a super clever pun or anything, but for some reason it just sounds so fun and satisfying to pronounce. Thus I enjoyed using it, that is, until it reached level 40 which frustrated me because I didn't know how I could expect to see its evolution, and at least I had Eviolite to use on it. So I was disappointed and decided to put it on my PC again, assuming it was once of these guide-dang-it evolution methods like Inkay or Sliggoo and I didn't want to lose my time leveling it up without having an idea of how it evolves.
• Crabominable: first discovered it in the Fighting-type Elite 4 battle, and I have mixed opinions about this Pokémon. For the positives it has a super awesome typing which I didn't expect to actually be done anythime soon, and I'm a fan of the fact it is inspired from a real-life species discovered in 2005 almost ten years after the creation of the Pokémon series, which means this Pokémon could never have existed prior to generation 5 (asides maybe as a very late addition to the gen 4 roster). A Pokémon based on something created or discovered years after the creation of the franchise was a fantasy of mine and for some reason I didn't expect such a thing to ever be turned into a Pokémon, but they actually did it! And based on the same species I imagined too! The concept was also well implemented, a coconut crab (I learned later the exact species Crabrawler was based on) that wants to climb to prove its strength, then has to evolve into a yeti crab so it can adapt to the cold mountains where it evolves, it was unexpected yet cleverly done. However, despite the pretty awesome creativity there are a few things about it that bother me. From a pure gameplay standpoint, the implementation of the evolution method was not really well done, as I'm pretty sure there's no clue given about it and it can only be done super late on a Pokémon you can find fairly early in the game. From a design standpoint, I don't really like how Crabominable's appearance doesn't remind me of the personality Crabrawler looked like it had. The later looks combative, like it's not going to abandon no matter what, it really wants to be the champion, and now that it reached the peak of a mountain to prove its determination... it turned into a jerk who feels a little too comfortable in its new title and now sees its opponents as nothing more than laughing stock that deserve to be crushed and eliminated as soon as possible without any form of dignity, having completely forgotten about the efforts he had to do as a Crabrawler. It just feels like a sudden personality change rather than well-executed character development.

Diglett: I just beaten totem Gumshoos, so I can leave Verdant Cavern, and... well, wild Pokémon are everywhere. How, a Dig- WHAT?! It now has hair! And the extracted soil looks more solid now. After three Alola forms that were mostly recolors seeing something else felt like a breath of fresh air. It happened to resist Normal-type moves, so I assumed it was a Rock-type and that this Diglett variant somehow adapted to dig on harder material or something hence it had to become harder itself. But when I realized it actually was Steel-type and I was really surprised. I guess the hair can be made of metal, and the soil it shows is actually metal too, but is the brown body so inorganic to the point it is also made of metal?
Dugtrio: Diglett was my first Alolan form evolution, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the evolution theme for these was different. Obviously I expected Dugtrio with each head having three small hairs each just like Diglett, and instead I got... an unexpected and hilarious thing for which each head has faboulus hair, and with three different hairstyles too! It reminded me of that Simpsons episode where Homer (temporarily) gets his hair back. Justified as it's inspired from Pele's hair, a volcanic fiber commonly found in Hawaii, especially since Diglett and Dugtrio supposedly adopted this form so they could be more adapted to detection of volcanic activity.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My favorite of the Alolan forms are Muk, Sandslash, and Golem

Specifically in that order

I haven't used an Alolan Diglett, although I tried to. Just never found one with a good nature.

I also might like Alolan Ninetales, but I like Sandslash a lot more so I haven't tried using it

D

Deleted member

Mine are Raticate, Persian, and Ninetails. Okay yes I know the first two are horrible to some. But honestly the first time I played the game Raticate came through for me when I needed it most plus I find the stuffed face look to be fun but also cool. As for Persian it's gotten me through as well and old watermelon head's look has grown on me. As for Ninetails it looks as majestic and cool as ever plus It being ice type brilliant.

D

Deleted member

My favorite Alolan form is Raichu.
I don't really care for the rest tbh.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I finally got to play Moon. I sold my 3DS a while back for some extra cash and also because I don't play games that much anymore. I have already sold my Wii U and keep the PS3 solely for Netflix. But one of my friends had an extra 3DS and already played through the game so he let me borrow it for a while to check it out. I kept track of all the news and rumors just for something to do in my downtime. But man oh man is the game beautiful. This is the type of Pokemon game i wanted when I playing Blue and Red on my old Gameboy Color.

I love the new Pokemon but X/Y Pokemon still remain my favorite anything after Ruby and Sapphire (which is my all time favorite). Currently running with Decidueye, Lyanroc (spelling?), Golisopod (spelling?), Crabrawler, Skarmony, and Zygarde. Though I plan on picking up Drampa at some point. I wish we had more Aloan forms though. I am fine I guess with it only being Gen 1 but...so many missed opportunities.

Coconut bra Psychic/Grass Jynx.
Poison/Steel Koffing - Wheezing.
Bug/Fire Venonat and Venomoth.

Just to name a feel. Also, while I love the trainer animations, I felt that they were a big sloppy. Sure, they throw out their Pokemon, stand behind them, and even show issuing commands but I thought it would of been ever cooler if they reacted to super effective attacks dealt to both the players or their own Pokemon. Or the fact they are pretty expressionless when their own Pokemon faints.

Other than that, the story is fairly enjoyable thus far and the characters are pretty interesting. I am liking Team Skull as a whole and love watching them pose and act tough. They are actually the most enjoyable characters to fight against. Especially their defeat portraits haha.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I've never been a fan of Alolan forms. They seem like a lazy way to add more 'new' Pokemon, and not all of them make sense to me from a 'lore' standpoint. That said, a few of them look pretty cool. Sandslash and Ninetales both look very cool. Golem and Marowak also look alright.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Favorite Alola Forms?

Mine would have to be Alola Raichu, Alola Ninetales, and Alola Marowak. I love the designs on all of them (though I'm also happy Raichu finally got some recognition from Game Freak).

Other than that, I don't care that much for the other Alola forms.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'll never get why it's impossible to acquire a standard Marowak at the Alola region. If it's daytime, Cubone could simply evolve into standard Marowak, while the Alolan variant can only be acquired during the night.

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah I dig Alolan Raichu too pretty cool overall. The others are great but these four are just the ones that stood out most to me.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Aloan forms, to me, was a new way to breathe life into older Pokémon who missed their boat in agents 6 and Mega Evo forms. I liked the idea but I felt it wasn't really executed well. Where Mega Evo was one of the main aspects of Gen 6, Aloan forms seems like an afterthought. One thing I do like about this game is the bunch of new abilities and moves.

Oh and one beef I have is the lack of any sort of evolutions for the sea cucumber, Komala, Drampa, the fire makalakaturtle, and the Simian Bros. I get it but kind of disappointed. Especially with Komala. I was kind of hoping for a doped up and drunk bongo playing koala.

Top Bottom