• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon Released! Discuss here!

Are you excited?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Smogon gives Guzzlord Sludge bomb

Why use Sludge Bomb over sludge wave?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh, ok. I was just reading the text in game.

That makes sense

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Smogon gives Guzzlord Sludge bomb

Why use Sludge Bomb over sludge wave?
Sludge Wave targets more than one Pokemon in a double battle, which reduces its power to 0.75x its normal level. Sludge Bomb targets only one Pokemon, and isn't blocked by Wide Guard, but Bulletproof does render it useless.

Of course, giving Guzzlord either of those attacks won't exactly save it from the wrath of the Fairy-types, since it's not a Poison-type Pokemon. Also, since most Fairy-types have a weaker physical defense, Guzzlord would probably do more damage if it uses Poison Jab against them, but it would still need a Life Orb if it expects to 1-hit KO a Gardevoir.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Smogon suggests a modest Guzzlord, but because I have 2 games I got a modest one and an adamant one

I'll play with them to test them out, but Xurkitree has been my favorite UB to use so far

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Thanks, I'll have to work on him then and see what I can do.
Alternatively I found out you can focus on defense

But I really don't think that's going to work well when 1 special attack is going to KO him

The pokemon I usually lead with is Choice Scarf Xurkitree, and the only way you're going to beat him with a passimian is outspeeding him. Probably can 1OHKO it. But on the other hand he's also going to OHKO you if he's faster

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Smogon suggests a modest Guzzlord, but because I have 2 games I got a modest one and an adamant one

I'll play with them to test them out, but Xurkitree has been my favorite UB to use so far
I went with sassy Guzzlord and having it focus more on defense with stockpile. Though the only problem is it doesn't get a good recovery move like chansey does so sleep talk is probably going to be it's move set when I get to working on it..
The two Xurkitree I have are modest and timid for scarf and LO sets lol I need to get them to have better ivs though..

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I need to get a Careful Buzzwole.

I got an adamant and a jolly one.

I could just transfer my pokemon to my moon and reset it, but my Sun has the shiny charm, as well as other things I'd rather not lose

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Buzzwole does get Power-Up Punch to boost its attack, so you could give it the Assault Vest to improve its special defense. But since Superpower is pretty much Buzzwole's best Fighting-type attack, the defense reduction penalty could hurt in the long run without Bulk Up.

Then again, Buzzwole could potentially get away with just having Power-Up Punch as its Fighting-type attack, as it can learn attacks like Earthquake, Thunder Punch, and Ice Punch for extra coverage. Combine that with Beast Boost, and it can really become one heck of a powerhouse that not even the Intimidate ability can slow down for long.

Also, since Leech Life is more powerful now than in the previous generations, Buzzwole does have a way to heal itself if the target takes neutral or super effective damage against Bug-type attacks.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Power of Alchemy + Parental Bond is a combo I didn't think of, but seems to work nicely

Also, Tapu Bulu seems like a nice partner to help muk out. Muk recovering with Black Sludge + Grassy Terrain.

I think I have an idea for my doubles team coming along

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Power of Alchemy + Parental Bond is a combo I didn't think of, but seems to work nicely

Also, Tapu Bulu seems like a nice partner to help muk out. Muk recovering with Black Sludge + Grassy Terrain.

I think I have an idea for my doubles team coming along
Poison Fang would probably work better than poison jab. 50% chance to badly poison with 2 hits and grassy terrain to reduce the damage by earthquake it'll be annoying to take down. If you add minimize (outside of Smogon's rules) and either stockpile or acid armor you'll have a truly evil Pokemon on the field

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How annoying would minimize, protect, poison fang, knock off be?

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
It it would depend on who's out. physical attackers will probably have more ease even without earthquake and low accuracy due to its lower defense while special attackers would struggle. But it's still doable with physical attackers if you can setup enough Minimize and the hits miss and Grassy terrain is up to soften those Earthquakes that may randomly hit

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Do note that Poison Fang Muk deals much less damage, so after a knock-off and poison there's not much Muk can do.
Poison Jab deals actual damage, so I'd pick that
Yeah, Poison Jab deals more damage overall than Poison Fang, even when Poison Fang gets the Parental Bond boost; 80 vs. 62.5.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
It's been a while since I haven't done a new gen VII Pokémon review... let's continue!

• Wishiwashi: I first found it while being guided to Lana's trial. I thought, lol, it's just a small fish, nothing too special about it. But anyway, I still caught it, because maybe that's judging a little too fast? And when I get the Pokédex description I can see that there's indeed something special about it, because of the specific "Solo form" mention. It made me wonder what another form of it could look like... to be fair I forgot whether I checked its summary screen before or after Lana's trial, so I'm not sure if I was wondering anything about its Schooling ability before said trial. Well, for sure I first found the pseudo-evolved School form in Lana's trial... and I was rather impressed! It's a giant fish, or rather a school made of small fishes that looks like a giant fish... that sounds so cool as a concept! A fish school actually was a concept I thought would be awesome for a Pokémon, and I'm glad Game Freak delivered. Also may I mention how much of a challenge the totem battle was? I didn't actually lose, but I still had to think and play well to win. The Alomomola ally surprised me, due to being a different species but also because it genuinely seemed like game design specifically made to be challenging at least for those like me who don't overlevel their Pokémon. Being able to change form only at a certain level is also cleverly creative, as it mimmicks an evolution without actually being one; it's kinda a mix between Gyarados and Archeops concept-wise. I just have a question... where do all the fishes come from when forming the school? I guess they're created out from thin air?

• Mareanie: I beliebe a NPC mentioned it before I even had the chance to find it in a trainer battle. It mentioned about it eating Corsola's branches, which I'm pretty sure was the first very specific predator-prey relationship I've heard about in the wild Pokémon ecosystem. I've learned later about it being a representation of real-life predator starfish, and that's a quite clever way to reuse a old Pokémon to create a new one: not an evolutionary relative, not a Mega or a regional form, the way the old Pokémon is reused to give a reason to the new one to exist is purely lore-wise, which asides from Regigigas wasn't really done, and this is something I'd like to see more of in future generations. Too bad I wasn't informed about to get one until I finally stopped to deliberately avoid gen 7 spoilers.
• Toxapex: I thought it was a quite cool-looking Pokémon, at least I liked it more that its pre-evolved form, especially with its leg-hair design which was only seen in Ferrothorn before. I actually considered adding one to my team, so I checked Mareanie's location in the Pokédex. Okay let's backtrack. But it only happened to me to get Magikarp, Wishiwashi and Corsola, so I guess its encounter rate must be stupidly low, and because I'm going blind it's possible I might just try to fish forever without ever finding one, so let's go on... and I was right! Because Mareanie only appears as a SOS summon from wild Corsola, something I would never have gessed. Also I wanted an urchin Pokémon for this generation, but as a spiked echinoderm I guess those two are as close as I got from that.

• Mudbray: yeah let's quit Melemele! And I got to discover that brown donkey. It's not super fancy or anything, but we haven't gotten a donkey Pokémon yet (asides from arguably Keldeo) and for looking like a cute foal it gets its jobe perfectly done.
• Mudsdale: thank you Hapu for spoiling me its evolution through its overworld appearance before I got to evolve my own Mudbray, as indeed I used one in my team. That said, I quite liked it so I kept it in my team anyway, at least for some time, even though I fully expected what it would evolve into. Kinda sad it stops looking like a donkey, but I can't dislike it either for that reason because evolution that make look a Pokémon like a different animal species is pretty standard anyway. I got surprised at how early it evolved, I expected it to be like Ponyta and evolve in the late 30s at earliest, but that wasn't the case. (Then again Blitzle evolves only at level 27... but at the same time Mudsdale has more of a bulky appearance than Zebstrika so I think it was reasonable to expect it to evolve later.) And I got surprised at the weight too, not too far from Groudon!

• Dewspider: this one is special because I actually found its evolution before it, and I got this one by breeding it rather than trying to find it in the wild. So I already knew Araquanid's appearance, and I had to guess what its pre-evolved form would look like, rather than the other way around for once. At first I wasn't a fan of it, I just found its facial expression to feel weird on a bug, especially since its evolution looks more animalistic, but after all I can say it's a creative design in a cute way. It has three legs and arms, all of which are symetrical, and uses its arms to not lose its precious bubble.
• Araquanid: so this is the first one of the two I actually got to discover, in Malie garden. I enter in tall grass and I see WHAT?! It's completely unknown, looks huge, looks weird, and has a weird cry. I think the combination of being particularly big and having a notably detailed appearance in addition to not being ready to expect something new gave me that first impression. So I caught it, and realized it had a pre-evolved form in the Pokédex I missed. Unfortunately the one I caught was male, and I haven't gotten to the point where I could expect to find wild Ditto yet, so I released it and looked for a female... expect it was night in-game and I searched one for hours while being frustrated to not find any, without having any idea that this thing only appeared during day xD Anyway Bug/Water was one of my most wanted type combinations for this generation since it was previously only available to the non-fully evolved Surskit, but I want more in the future so I can have the predaceous diving beetle I was asking for! That said I knew about bugs that use bubbles to breathe underwater and I'm glad the concept was explored by Game Freak, resulting in a pretty interesting Pokémon design.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Does someone has the encounter rate of Snorlax in SOS battles? I feel like I am being RNG screwed. Not a single one has appeared for me and I already drained the PP of my False Swiper 4 times.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Does someone has the encounter rate of Snorlax in SOS battles? I feel like I am being RNG screwed. Not a single one has appeared for me and I already drained the PP of my False Swiper 4 times.
I SOS chained munchlax to get the hidden ability and never found a snorlax. Can't remember how long the chain was though.. I did find a few happinys though don't know the exact number but it must be as low as Salamence

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This has probably already been confirmed LONG AGO by sources with PKHeX

But Regular Marowak, Exeggutor, and Raichu...

Their children can ONLY become Alolan Marowak, Alolan Exeggutor, and Alolan Raichu in Alola

Breeding them will not produce Cubone, Exeggcute, and Pikachu/Pichu that are capable of becoming their regular forms

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
This has probably already been confirmed LONG AGO by sources with PKHeX

But Regular Marowak, Exeggutor, and Raichu...

Their children can ONLY become Alolan Marowak, Alolan Exeggutor, and Alolan Raichu in Alola

Breeding them will not produce Cubone, Exeggcute, and Pikachu/Pichu that are capable of becoming their regular forms
Do we know if they evolve into the Alolan variants if they were transferred in their base form then evolved in alola? If they are then it would be better to hatch them in G6 get tutor moves on them if you want them then transfer them to G7 and evolve them. At least until we get tutor moves in G7 which will probably come in stars. The other Pokemon that have Alolan forms can retain their original form through Everstone iirc.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Do we know if they evolve into the Alolan variants if they were transferred in their base form then evolved in alola? If they are then it would be better to hatch them in G6 get tutor moves on them if you want them then transfer them to G7 and evolve them. At least until we get tutor moves in G7 which will probably come in stars. The other Pokemon that have Alolan forms can retain their original form through Everstone iirc.
The game doesn't code cubones differently regardless of source and ALL of them can only transform into Alolan Marowak. I assume it's the same for Exeggutor and Raichu, but I haven't tested it

Edit: Regular Sandshrew, Grimer, etc. Can breed without a problem and retain their original forms. They, of course, cannot become Alolan forms

Edit: I do wonder what happens when you breed an alolan sandshrew with a regular sandshrew though

Can it transfer the ball on? Hidden ability? etc,

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just saw the animation for Pikachu's 10.000.000 Volt Thunderbolt...

All I gotta say is, whoa.

D

Deleted member

My Pokedex at only 23% is horrible if I get it to 40 or even 50% it'll be good enough differently going to try to fill it up a bit more though.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Pokémon Bank has been updated, and sadly, you may find that transferring from the 1st generation games might not work in your favor.

For starters, if the Pokémon has an extra ability in Sun & Moon, the transferred Pokémon will always have it. Want a Machamp with No Guard and Fissure? Forget about it, as it will always get the Steadfast ability.

You have no control over the nature and gender of the transferred Pokémon. Well technically, the nature is somewhat determined by the Pokémon's experience, but you can't really make it have a specific nature; for an example, you may end up getting Hasty instead of Jolly.

At least 3 IVs are guaranteed to be perfect, while the rest are random. This is pretty much redundant with Hyper Training being around, but still worth noting anyway. The Pokémon's IVs in the 1st generation can also affect if it will appear as a shiny or not.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
LOL, I wonder if the hidden abilities was JUST to go against a Fissure No Guard Machamp

If I really want one, I'll just hack a machamp

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I dunno if it's just my version, but in Sun and Moon I get a glimpse of the pokemon one is going to evolve into before it evolves.

I was just evolving tyrogue, and even though I cancelled the evolution, I saw Hitmonlee on the screen for a moment before I cancelled it

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
No guard fissure machamp ain't event that hard to cover. Anything the flies or has levitate will decimate it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
For some reason my regi's have the move "---" which has 999 power and 999 accuracy, but 0 PP

I don't know why they are glitched out upon transferring

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Something has been bugging me lately. I know that the Beast Ball only really works on Ultra Beasts, but it seems kind of weird how Cosmog is thought to be an Ultra Beast, and yet the Beast Ball has almost no chance of catching Solgaleo and Lunala.

Also, the bans at the battle facilities can still be very ridiculous. Cosmog is practically useless to use in battles, and yet the battle facilities ban it anyway? What kind of logic is that?!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My guess is because you aren't supposed to have beast balls by that point in the game anyway

Pixlemaster

Smash Rookie
There is this interesting theory that Type: Null is in reality Marshadow, created to absorbs the power of Solgaleo and Lunala (like an eclipse or shadow). That thing around is neck is what contains his real power like the red chain. The theory is more detailed than this and I don't have much time to explain it now.
Another interesting thing that quite sold me on this theory is that the italian name for Type: Null name is "Tipo Zero" (literally Type Zero). This is the only name in the history of the franchise we translate and don't adopt from english, so it makes me think it is not his real name.
But hey, that just a theory!
A GAME THEORY!

Top Bottom