• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon Released! Discuss here!

Are you excited?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Pokemon Sun and has been officially announced! Discuss your thoughts on news and more!

More news on October 4th! Recent news:

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The real question that needs to be asked, however, is if there's ever going to be a Pokemon Z version, as it would be very awkward if Zygarde's forms are anime-exclusive only.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
The real question that needs to be asked, however, is if there's ever going to be a Pokemon Z version, as it would be very awkward if Zygarde's forms are anime-exclusive only.
They could still write in zyggarde to this, it just might not be a big thing.

Maybe Episode Z?

In it Zygarde is awakened, and then you need to stop it by going back to the nearby Kalos. Take on the leaders and make your way around the region, before mass destruction is caused.

A new Trademark for Pokemon sun and pokemon Moon has been found!

What are your thoughts on this? Are you excited? What do you expect?

IS this Gen 7, or Gen 6.5?

Which would you choose?

I'm excited, would choose moon, and am banking on it be gen 6.5
I'm very excited. I think it's Gen 7. I have to know the version exclusives before I can choose.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'll probably make final decision on the version based on exclusives, but I'll see.

I really can't wait to see what it shows. I think we could get a pretty detailed trailer tomorrow.

Also domains for both games as websites have been filed. Unlike past ones( for games that don't come to fruition), they link back to pokemon.com!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Well, if this is gen 7 than, boy, the 6th gen went by quickly.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Very true, but perhaps the story could still go back to XY and ORAS?

That be unique.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
You could say the same thing for the 5th generation as well.
I thought the same thing back then. Strange than since moving to Japan 6 years ago, I have seen two (and maybe soon to be 3) new versions of Pokemon...

Anyways, I like the titles but it has a "fan-game vibe". I am sure multiple fan-game wikis has a "Pokemon Sun & Moon". Also, while I am not sure if this will be the case though but maybe a Cosmic type will be introduced?

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Not sure what to think about this if it is indeed a 7th-gen announcement. The Kalos games are among my favorites, and with all the Zygarde teases it'd be a shame to have it be the first generation (since the 1st, if you don't count Blue or Yellow) to not get a third version / sequel.

If it is a new generation, the one thing I'm hoping for is that they not do a total reset like they've done for every new generation since RSE, and instead have some sort of meaningful link to an existing game, à la Gold / Silver (or even FireRed / LeafGreen if the Sevii Islands count). That's the main reason the Johto games are my favorites. That being said, a step away from the washed-out colors and outlined art style, and toward more of a Super Mystery Dungeon look wouldn't be remiss, in my opinion.

EDIT: Also, gen-VI Megas.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I think that it will still involve zygarde just not the way people expect. An Episode Z is totally possible with that being about Zygarde.

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
Pokémon Sun & Moon are most likely going to be the new titles for Gen 7 eh? This is getting me really excited since that would mean this generation in some way is more related to outer space. I wonder if the Space Center in Mossdeep City is relevant too, that would be cool.
Anyways, I like the titles but it has a "fan-game vibe". I am sure multiple fan-game wikis has a "Pokemon Sun & Moon". Also, while I am not sure if this will be the case though but maybe a Cosmic type will be introduced?
A cosmic type would really fit the whole 'space' theme so I wouldn't be surprised to see that introduced in this Gen. Would that mean Deoxys would be Psychic and Cosmic. Oh boy, crazy alien designs could be a thing too if cosmic type is a thing.
I think that it will still involve zygarde just not the way people expect. An Episode Z is totally possible with that being about Zygarde.
Yeah, I can see Game Freak doing an Episode Z and that would be quite fitting. Either way, I do hope Zygarde is related in Sun/Moon somehow. It'll really odd if it wasn't at all.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I just don't understand the anime then. It just changed to Pokemon XY & Z....so are the games gonna be ahead for once?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Probably, it was a theory that the name Z would be anime exclusive, but it's new features such as Ash greninja and Zygarde Complete and forms, would carry over into a game with a different title.

Pokemon Sun and Moon could fit this game, and offer two fully unique stories( one in a new region, the other in a new Kalos Story).

The anime could have it's own thing and still advertise, but the games would offer a completely new and never before seen experience for players.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
I'm super hyped.
Anyone else hope that we don't get another fire/fighting evolution, if it is gen 7? lol

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
If the starters are new, I'd prefer that they give us a different type.

The Fire types are based on the Chinese Zodiac.

Which this year is a bunny.

So maybe fire and ground?

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I would love to see a Fire/Electric rabbit type though that wouldn't mesh well with the circular secondary typing that X/Y had...if this is continued. A Fire/Fairy would be interesting.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Fire and Fairy...

That be pretty nice actually, make a mystical looking rabbit that shoots fire.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Do you know what I'd like to see? A Water Horse starter...

Could be loosely based on the Kelpies of Celtic myth...though it doesn't need to be quite as scary, but it could turn into this majestic looking stallion with like a wavy watery mane flowing...basic form could be based on those miniature horses from the Cenozoic era, or perhaps even a Mouse deer or something...

I think it'd be cool....

I'd also like to see a Woodpecker become the regional bird...it's pretty much one of the bird archetypes we don't have yet in any of the Pokemon games...Final form could be based off of the Ivory billed Woodpecker and it could have a pretty neat looking design with a Black, White and Red colour scheme...

Also for the regional rodent a shrew, that evolves into a Normal/Poison type...I'd actually like to see one that isn't quite as cutesy and be a bit more menacing like raticate was...a nasty little shrew could do that...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The Pokemon Direct will be starting soon, but it's not going to be a long one; approx. 6 minutes in length. As such, don't expect too much to be revealed today.

Update

Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon are the official names of the next Pokemon titles, which are expected to be out in Holiday 2016.

Also, the virtual console versions of Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow are apparently going to have Pokemon Bank support. How that's going to work is unclear though, since natures never existed until the 3rd generation.

Last edited:

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman

Maybe a new bird pokemon/the fire starter?
Whatever it is, I'm super hyped.

EDIT: I'm sure this confirms Gen 7, as I can't find any other Pokemon that seems to resemble this one.

EDIT EDIT:
Maybe there was a new little rascal ontop of this man's computer?
I kind of see a squid, when you look at the lower half of it. There's two closed eyes, some tentacles, then a head.

My friend also brought up that it could be a Croagunk statue, similar to the one in Pastoria City from Sinnoh.
But why then, why include so much of Sinnoh in single shot? I can't find another shot where it's literally just Johto or Hoenn, or etc. region. So, maybe this pre-(word; confirmed?) Gen 4 remakes in a couple years down the road? I guess I could just be overthinking everything too, and it's all just one coincidence.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Maybe a new bird pokemon/the fire starter?
Whatever it is, I'm super hyped.

EDIT: I'm sure this confirms Gen 7, as I can't find any other Pokemon that seems to resemble this one.

EDIT EDIT:
Maybe there was a new little rascal ontop of this man's computer?
I kind of see a squid, when you look at the lower half of it. There's two closed eyes, some tentacles, then a head.

My friend also brought up that it could be a Croagunk statue, similar to the one in Pastoria City from Sinnoh.
But why then, why include so much of Sinnoh in single shot? I can't find another shot where it's literally just Johto or Hoenn, or etc. region. So, maybe this pre-(word; confirmed?) Gen 4 remakes in a couple years down the road? I guess I could just be overthinking everything too, and it's all just one coincidence.
The red crest and the pointed bill definitely suggest a Woodpecker...also if you look at its feet it has two front toes and two back toes just like Woodpeckers which allow them to climb trees rather easily...this is most likely our new regional bird which I'm pretty excited for...

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
It does seem to be a woodpecker.

And I changed thread title and added a poll!

EDIT: Here's My analysis:
Ok here are my thoughts on Sun and Moon:

To start, I was slightly disappointed but I feel like we could see one tomorrow or at least learn a little more. Anyway it was still really nice, and the concept art showcased a lot of stuff I'd like to address:

So let's begin!

The pokemon centers have a pretty different design this time around! It seems like there is only 1 floor based on the inside pic, that is next to this. The design reminds me of the Contest Domes from emerald. Pokemarts are also back in them.

One thing I want to point out is the window and real world picture. These seem to provide evidence for inspiration, but the Japanese may need to be translated. Also the one thing not colored in, is that a pc? I was thinking pokedex originally but, I don't know... Could be either.

Next we have:

This image really interests me! There are some tings worth noting here. First is this man with what I presume is his daughter, their wobbbuffet, machamp, and furfrou. The images showcase that there seems to be a lot more depth going into this. The car is some jeep esque vehicle, and could maybe be related to your main character. Perhaps they work as a transport system?

This game gives us actual vehicles! X and Y's were nothing. Just generic cars that were only in Luminous. My thoughts are that this will be the biggest region yet. Due to it's size, people use cars to get around much faster. That's why they all have depth to them.

It's also worth noting that there are fire trucks and ambulances now. Could we see these in action? What if there is a real time environment. The cars could move along on the streets and rush to emergencies. Maybe fires will actually break out and we see the Fire Department head out to stop it? Or maybe wild pokemon will injury people and the ambulance rushes to save them? One idea I saw, is that maybe it's a mobile pokemon center for trainers?

What if as a side quest we could team up with the fire Department, or Ambulance corps, or police force? Using pokemon you'd expect them to use, there could be a mini game involving you saving the day with them? That be pretty awesome imo.

And lastly, next to the Ambulance, is a building( maybe rocks) our on the ocean with a wingull flying by.

Now this could be completely wrong, but what if that's the:

Probably not, but the color scheme reminds me of it, and the region seems to be tropical.

Crazy speculation out of the way, and onto:

Woody Wood Pecker! Really not much to say here. The design looks interesting and resemblance of fletching. This does kill the gen 6.5 list of pokemon though. ( R.I.P. the dream) due to the fact that he is not on it. I expect this to be like hoot hoot and evolve once. Which will be a nice change of pace. But that would mean it's probably not competitively viable, but oh well, he still looks nice. I wonder if any of the text gives away info on it?

Now I'm almost done here( if your even reading...) Next Pic:

Alright now this has some good things in it. Let's start with the big picture. This is without a doubt, a hotel.
In fact calling it now:

It's Hotel Horsea. I'm also calling that's its the first gym as well, and that the game will go back to black and white's style of making leaders have other jobs. As further evidence that this is a hotel( besides the obvious design) is that the furiside npc has a suitcase. Also above the protagonist in red( no way this isn't the male one), are 3 silhouettes. To the left of the horse are two water types that I can't make out. I think they are both new. Perhaps one is the starter.

Let's focus on the protagonist. He looks very similar to Red. I think this is a callback and that we will see a lot more like these.

Now let's move one to the other shots here.

Let's look at the one with the yellow car. I believe this is an inn, and owned by the guy with Machamp, as that looks like his car, and it appears he is to the right of it. Could be wrong though. But this is definitely a small inn. Perhaps like Kalos, towns will have small inns, and then they could have the first city have the World Famous Hotel Horsea. Maybe that's where the backwards waterfall is?

Also the inn pictures suggests that the routes and towns are massive, so I'm getting excited for this! Now the picture next to this is very interesting....

the main character is in a room that looks like a hotel room. It could be a house but who knows. There are two intriguing things here:

1) This is a different trainer then the guy in Red, but they appear to be male. Does this confirm customization is back and much more expansive?

2) They are bent down in front of what looks like a Pokemon. It's read and could be a beaver or bear it seems. Thoughts?

Now the last two pictures depict a house( maybe your starting one?) and several different rooms. Don't know what to make of those rooms though....

Whew! That was quite alot, but I think it give Gamexplain a run for their money
:p

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

This is the flag of Ming China, known as the Sun and Moon flag. The characters together read "Tomorrow"(明), but separated they mean the Sun (日) and the Moon (月). Connection there should be fairly obvious. We also need to tie Zygarde in somehow right? He appears when the environment's messed with correct? China's very polluted, surely Zygarde would pop up in a place based on it. And guess what else? The Pokemon company made it a big point of the direct to mention they are adding both Chinese languages to the game, maybe I'm grasping for straws, but maybe the reason they stressed it is potentially because their trying to hint the next region is going to be based off of China? Eh, you know what? It probably isn't that, this theory's about as well founded as something MatPat made up, it doesn't have any foundation at all. :p
Still though, I hope it's based off of China, that'd be cool. Or Morocco, or Turkey, or Mali, or Italy, or Poland, or the U.K., or Canada, or, uh, really anywhere actually, anywhere that they haven't done yet'd be cool in my opinion.

Where do you guys hope the next region will be based off of?

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
And off we go yet again! Another game to dedicate my dwindling free time by religiously following.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Welp, here we go again. Time for another round of speculation and wondering what new mons we're going to see.

And this might just have implications to those rumors of a Smash 4 port for the NX...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Has anyone else had the impression that the symbol for Pokemon Moon looks almost like the emblem for the Bayonetta series?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Has anyone else had the impression that the symbol for Pokemon Moon looks almost like the emblem for the Bayonetta series?
It kind of does, now that I think of it!

And People pointed out how they look liked the conquest and birthright symbols to lol.
Welp, here we go again. Time for another round of speculation and wondering what new mons we're going to see.

And this might just have implications to those rumors of a Smash 4 port for the NX...
But speculation is the fun part!

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
If the starters are new, I'd prefer that they give us a different type.

The Fire types are based on the Chinese Zodiac.

Which this year is a bunny.

So maybe fire and ground?
Pretty sure the Chinese Zodiac this year is the Red Monkey but we've already got Infernape. :p

We were given only a few glimpses of concept art and wireframe designs but really loving the speculation. Other people have compared this particular building to the Raffles Hotel in Singapore and the similarities are quite apparent.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Zygarde and Volcanion should be linked to Sun/Moon in some way though. I wonder if the XY&Z anime will drop hints/teasers for Sun/Moon too, especially with Zygarde's new forms and all that. That must play a part in Sun/Moon in some way.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Pretty sure the Chinese Zodiac this year is the Red Monkey but we've already got Infernape. :p

We were given only a few glimpses of concept art and wireframe designs but really loving the speculation. Other people have compared this particular building to the Raffles Hotel in Singapore and the similarities are quite apparent.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Zygarde and Volcanion should be linked to Sun/Moon in some way though. I wonder if the XY&Z anime will drop hints/teasers for Sun/Moon too, especially with Zygarde's new forms and all that. That must play a part in Sun/Moon in some way.
Oh I thought it was the rabbit. Anyway here is my thoughts on the setting:
Ok, so I'm convinced the region is Hawaii:
and the hotel:

this is one in Hawaii,looks more like that one to me, but it's a comm style in tropical places as well..

And supposedly, Zuygarde's forms are powered by the sun.

And flowers were our key to 2016, something we see in Hawaii as a main theme.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
It will be released Holiday 2016? So....basically in 10 month or so. I wonder when they will start officially release Pokemon.

Professor Lexicovermis

Smash Journeyman
I'm very hyped for Sun and Moon, hopefully they'll bring in a new gen of Pokemon. It's always fun to speculate on new additions. I'm very curious about the cover legendaries. Hopefully they'll be interesting!

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Patterns be damned but I was thinking about this:

Gen I introduced 150 Pokemon. Gen II introduced 100 new Pokemon with a heavy focus on pre-evolutions and evolutions of previous Pokes. Gen III introduced 135 new Pokemon with only two, Azurill and Wyanut being related to previous Pokemon. The focus was introducing entirely new Pokes. Gen IV focused less on introducing new Pokemon like Gen II and, instead, focused on providing pre-evo/evolutions for previous Pokemon. Gen V took the Gen 1 and III approach introducing ****-ton of Pokes while ignoring previous evolutions. And VI focused less on introducing more Pokemon and focused more on previous Pokemon from previous generations. However, Gen VI did focus on Mega Evolutions with it being a huge impact in the game play so, in that way, it kind of resembled Gen II and Gen IV. Going by the pattern (and if patterns are to be believed), we may see an large number of Pokes for this potential Gen VII installment.

Hopefully they make the fully-evolved "route 1 bird" of this generation some other type than Normal/Flying, like they did with Talonflame.

I also wish they'd either give an evolution to the "Pikachu-clone" of this gen or don't make a Clonechu at all.

I wonder how many HMs are going to be in these games. I'm hoping that only a few (same amount or less than in X and Y).

Also, since one of the HMs has always been Cut, I wish they'd make it better in battles (I mean, the other three HMs that are in every game are not even nearly as terrible). Type change to Grass and increased attack power would make it much better.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
How about a Pikachu clone that isn't an electric type for once...:183: is the only one so far every other one was electric...Dedenne was a bit of a cop-out especially since it was literally a miniature Raichu with fairy typing...

I'd actually be content with the fully evolved Woodpecker being Normal/Flying, adding on any sort of additonal typing would just feel somewhat gimmicky for me, especially when looking at the basic form which is literally just a normal woodpecker...I heard some speculate Dark type...even though Dark typing makes no sense for a Woodpecker, there's nothing particularly 'dark', or 'evil' about them other than their black colouration...unlike :198:...

Fire typing made sense for Talonflame because Fire Falcons:4falcon:...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I do kind of wonder what the legendaries for the next games could be based on. I know that the sun is blistering hot, while the moon is bitterly frigid, so you'd think that their mascots would reference those temperature differences.

Fire/Dragon and Ice/Dragon would seem like the proper duo, since they'd only take super effective damage from Dragon-type attacks. The problem is, Reshiram and Kyurem already cover those type combinations.

Top Bottom