• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon Released! Discuss here!

Are you excited?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Well then... Decidueye is focused and amazing looking honestly happy I chose Rowlet usually it's just the final evolutions I like but I liked Rowlet's evolutionary line from the start Rowlet being adorable, Dartrix being snobby, and Decidueye being collected, love Rowlet, Dartrix, and Decidueye the grass/ghost typing is great and yeah it's focused and awesome so yeah I definetly like Decidueye.

Incineroar wow just wow two of the things I enjoy combined Profesional wrestling and Pokemon yup definetly like Incineroar.

Primarina is elegant and great.

I like all these starters and their evolutions content and happy about all of them best starters since Kanto just my option. Also like the new moves.

Tapu Bulu is just great, Tapu Lele is cute, and Tapu Fini is great, Guardian of Alola awesome just awesome. Tapu Bulu is my favourite the lazy but kind and helpful nature is great.

Also Cosmog is adorable and Garfield I mean Alolan Persian is cool.

Battle Tree looks great and glad to see some femilar faces can't wait to see and face it. Blue and Red welcome back cool new looks for all the characters Red me and Decidueye and all my other Pokemon look forward to facing you.

Pokemon League will be lit great news third best news so far.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So it appears that the method for acquiring Alolan Exeggutor is exactly the same as that of acquiring standard Exeggutor. This pretty much means that it's literally impossible to get the standard Exeggutor in Alola without transferring from the 6th generation titles.

D

Deleted member

So it appears that the method for acquiring Alolan Exeggutor is exactly the same as that of acquiring standard Exeggutor. This pretty much means that it's literally impossible to get the standard Exeggutor in Alola without transferring from the 6th generation titles.
Makes sense I guess good to have some confirmation all the same.

D

Deleted member

Remember when we all thought the starter leaks were fake?
I still find it weird that they're real. Not that I'm complaining of course, but still, I find it really weird that we knew about these starter evolutions 5 months prior to their official reveal.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Remember when we all thought the starter leaks were fake?
I still find it weird that they're real. Not that I'm complaining of course, but still, I find it really weird that we knew about these starter evolutions 5 months prior to their official reveal.
I also felt weird about knowing Duck Hunt Dog and Bowser Jr. were in Smash 4. The good thing is that not everything was datamined in Sun/Moon and there is hope that the lack of Pokemon is compensated with more content and justifying the massive size of the game.

D

Deleted member

It did feel a little odd to me at first too I am very content with what the starters fully evolve into their excuse my language legit badasses. But it would have been nice to have a blank slate heading into the games the only news should have been the official news. Now I am happy about the leaks but a little sad some stuff got out. Hopefully one day nothing will.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My main concern now is Diamond Storm. Ever since it was confirmed that Water Shuriken is now a special attack, I kind of with that Diamond Storm became a special attack as well.

Sure, mixed sets can potentially work, but when your mixed sets also focus on the speed stat, you could end up lacking the attack power that could make the guaranteed KO or not. And in the case of Mega Diancie, defense and speed hindering natures aren't exactly good for it. Whereas for Mega Abomasnow, it has no need for speed EVs, so it can invest all of its EVs onto attack and special attack, and use a speed hindering nature.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
If I recall correctly, did the leak that contained the starters all those months back contain any other details that might well be true now? Like, didn't it mention stuff about the Anime too?

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Generally pretty happy with the starter evolutions - certainly my favourite overall haul since Gen IV. If I had to attempt to slot them in lists:

Fire: Charizard > Blaziken > Typhlosion ? Incineroar > Infernape > Emboar > Delphox

Water: Feraligatr > Swampert > Empoleon > Blastoise > Greninja > Primarina > ..... > Samurott

Grass: Sceptile > Serperior > Decidueye > Torterra > Chesnaught > Venusaur > Meganium

I am oddly pleased with Incineroar - it looks kinda stupid but at the same time I dig it, and find the signature move hilarious. Still going for the Grass type though, which has been the case now for 5 generations in a row.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Typhlosion> Blaziken> Charizard> Incineroar> Emboar> Infernape> Delphox

Blastoise> Empoleon= Greninja> Feraligatr= Swampert> Primarina

Decidueye= Torterra= Venusaur> Sceptile= Serperior> Chesnaught> Meganium

Water> Grass> Fire

The lowest water is higher than the lowest Fire

Ranking my favorite starters of each type, as well:

Fire: Charizard > Blaziken > Incineroar > Emboar > Typhlosion > Infernape > Delphox

Grass: Torterra > Decidueye > Chesnaught > Sceptile > Venusaur > Serperior > Meganium

Water: Feraligatr > Greninja > Swampert > Blastoise > Empoleon > Primarina > Samurott

For some reason, I almost always end up choosing the Grass type, even when I'm initially planning to use someone else... only games I didn't were Emerald, HeartGold and White.

D

Deleted member

Bold = My favorite starter of the gen it was interdouced

Venusaur > Decidueye > Sceptile > Torterra > Chesnaught > Meganium >>>>>> LeafyIsHere (AKA Serperior)
Typhlosion = Infernape > Blaziken > Incineroar >> Emboar >>> Delphox >>> "Drugon" (AKA Charizard)
Greninja > Swampert > Samurott > Blastoise > Feraligatr > Primarina > Empoleon

...Yeah, I'm a hipster, I know that.

Last edited by a moderator:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Gen Seven is Amazing: The list

Fire: Delphox > Incineroar > Infernape > Charizard = Blaziken = Emboar >>>> Typhlosion

Grass: Decidueye > Torterra > Serperior > Venusaur > Sceptile > Chestnaught > Meganium

Water: Primarina > Blastoise > Greninja > Empoleon > Feraligatr > Swampert > Samurott

Yes, this means Decidueye, Primarina and Blastoise are my three fav starters.
Everything Fire after Incineroar sux.
Everything Grass after Chestnaught sux.
Everything Water after Empoleon sux.

Gen specific-commentary
Gen I is decent but nothing amazing. Fav is Blastoise
Gen II is carried by Ferry. And even he's not a good starter. Fav is Ferry
Gen III is good. Fav is Sceptile
Gen IV is amazing. Basic, but very good designs. Fav is a toss-up between Empo and Tortilla, but Piplup >>>>> Turdwig
Gen V sux but Serperior doesn't. Fav is Serperior
Gen VI is good. Delphox is actually great. Fav is Delphox, which is an impressive feat for a fire starter.
Gen VII is the best gen yet starter wise. Fav is toss-up between Decidieye and Primarina.

Fourth fav Water > Second fav grass starter
Fourth fav Water > First fire starter

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
It's going to be difficult for me to pick a starter. Rowlet's forms look cool, Popplio's final form has a good typing, and Litten's final form has a neat signature move. I might ultimately end up picking either Popplio or Rowlet.

And also, I guess while the topic's still open;

Grass: Sceptile > Torterra = Decidueye > Venusaur > Chesnaught > Serperior > Meganium

Fire: Typhlosion > Charizard > Blaziken > Infernape > Incineroar = Emboar > Delphox

Water: Empoleon > Greninja > Feraligatr = Swampert > Primarina > Blastoise > Samurott

I generally like the Water-type starters more than the other two types.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
If I recall correctly, did the leak that contained the starters all those months back contain any other details that might well be true now? Like, didn't it mention stuff about the Anime too?
There was just the note about the gyms and the league, certain Pokemon that 3 were correct with, z-stones, Rockuff's evolution, and stating the typing of the third evo is unique. But there was nothing about the anime.
So what Pokemon does everyone think will be the biggest OU threats from this Gen based on what we're given so far (minus the Stats, and HAs since they aren't known currently.)

D

Deleted member

Gen Specific commentary and Ranking (WARNING: CONTAINS OPINIONS):

Gen 1: Venusaur and Blastoise are awesome (Especially the former). Charizard is not. (A)
Gen 2: Typhlosion is the best of the trio. Feraligatr used to be my favorite and I still do like it, even if not as much as before. Meganium is Meh. (B)
Gen 3: Best starter trio so far. Sceptile and Blaziken are awesome, and Swampert is even more awesome. (SSS)
Gen 4: Infernape is great, as is Torterra. I stay neutral to Empoleon until I use it (Which will be before the inevitable Gen 4 remakes come out). (+A)
Gen 5: Worst starter trio so far. Samurott is the only one I like. Bacon is meh and Leafy is my least favorite starter, period. (F)
Gen 6: Greninja is my favorite starter of al time and Chesnaught is pretty cool. Don't like Furry Potter. (-A)
Gen 7: My second favorite starter trio by far. I like all of them, especially Decidueye. (S)

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Favorite starter? I'll give it a try:
Gen 1: Venusaur = Charizard = Blastoise. None are among my favorites.
Gen 2: Typhlosion > Feraligatr > Meganium. Typhlosion is my favorite in Johto. I don't care much about Feraligatr and Meganium is garbage.
Gen 3: Swampert > Sceptile = Blaziken. I love how Swampert trivializes Hoenn. The other 2 are alright.
Gen 4: Infernape > Empoleon > Torterra. Fire/Fighting2win, Empoleon is cool, Torterra is garbage.
Gen 5: Samurott = Serperior > Emboar. I love the first 2. Emboar is garbage.
Gen 6: Greninja > Delphox > Chestnaught: Greninja is awesome. I enjoyed using Delphox in XY. I don't like Grass types.
Gen 7: Primarina > Decidueye > Incineroar. I love Primarina, TeamPopolio2win. Never was a fan of Rowlet but I find him superior to Luchalitten, sorry, Incineroar.

D

Deleted member

For me I guess

Fire: Charizard>Blaziken>Infernape>Typholsion>Emboar>Incineroar
Water: Greninja> Swam pert>Blastoise>Feraligatir>Empoleon>Samurott>Primarina
Grass: Decidueye>Sceptile>Vensaur>Chestnaught>Torterra>Servine

Charizard, Decidueye, and Greninja are my favourite starters so far, the others are cool they just never stood out much to me, the list will probably change one day as I really do like Incineroar and Primarina.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Favorite starters? Favorite starters.

Gen 1: Blastoise > Venusaur > Charizard
Gen 2: Feraligatr > Typhlosion >>> Meganium
Gen 3: Blaziken > Swampert >>>>> Sceptile
Gen 4: Torterra = Infernape = Empoleon
Gen 5: Emboar >> Serperior > Samurott
Gen 6: Greninja > Chesnaught >>>>> Delphox
Gen 7: Primarina > Incineroar >> Decidueye

Overall, 1 and 4 are the only gens where I liked all the starters.

:094:

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Truthfully, I would've preferred it if Incineroar was a quadrupedal Pokemon, since we don't have a fully evolved Fire-type starter that's completely quadrupedal yet.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I love Primarina and Decidueye equally, but I'm going with Primarina for my first playthrough because I want to have a Lurantis on my team, and for the sake of balance, I don't want to two Grass-types on my team.

As for the whole starter discussion, I'll contribute:

Grass: Decidueye --> Torterra --> Serperior --> Sceptile --> Chesnaught --> Venasaur --> Meganium
Fire: Blaziken --> Infernape --> Incineroar --> Typholosion --> Charizard --> Delphox--> Emboar
Water: Greninja --> Swampert --> Primarina --> Empoleon --> Samurott --> Blastoise --> Feraligatr

Greninja and Swampert are both in my top 5 favorite Pokemon respectively. Not counting the generation 7 Pokemon The rest of the other Pokemon are nowhere close. Primarina and Decidueye might come up to my top 10 depending on how my Sun and Moon experience goes. I always go with Water-starters, and most of them have done extremely well for throughout my experience.

I've never been too invested into Fire-starters, though Blaziken, Infernape, and Incineroar are the ones I like out of all 7 of them.

Similarly, I've never cared about the Grass-starters too much, but Decidueye is definitely becoming my favorite Grass-starter and the one I like the most.

D

Deleted member

I suppose I'll contribute to the starter discussion.

Grass: Decidueye > Venusaur > Torterra > Meganium > Sceptile > Serperior > Chesnaught
Fire: Blaziken > Charizard > Typholosion > Delphox > Infernape > Emboar > Incineroar
Water: Greninja > Samurott > Empoleon > Blastoise > Feraligatr > Swampert > Primarina

I used fire types the most, up until Platinum where I started to mix things up. However, I don't prefer using one type over the other.
While Primarina and Chesnaught are the lowest on my lists, I don't hate them; Incineroar and even Emboar are the only ones that I actually dislike.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Grass: Venusaur = Torterra > Serperior = Decidueye > Chesnaught = Sceptile > Meganium
Fire: Charizard > Infernape >Typhlosion = Blaziken = Incineroar > Emboar > Delphox
Water: Swampert > Greninja = Blastoise > Feraligatr = Empoleon >Primarina > Samurott

I like most starters.

Only Starters I don't like are Emboar, Delphox and Samurott.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
There was just the note about the gyms and the league, certain Pokemon that 3 were correct with, z-stones, Rockuff's evolution, and stating the typing of the third evo is unique. But there was nothing about the anime.
So what Pokemon does everyone think will be the biggest OU threats from this Gen based on what we're given so far (minus the Stats, and HAs since they aren't known currently.)
Popplio's final evolution is gonna be fantastic. If it isn't OU it will be UU. No doubt in my mind at this point. (watch gamefreak give it hustle now...)

The tapu's have potential (except the grass one, he's RU at best) especially if an item is introduced that extends the number of turns terrain moves last.

Kommo'o is gonna make Garchomp look bad...I look at this guy and am genuinely scared for the meta.

Mimikyuu is a total wildcard. Could be OU for a short period but Gamefreak probably won't give it the stats it'll need to last long.

Vikavolt maybe...

Everything else is spoilery and I'm tired so maybe I'll post more in spoilers later.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm not exactly convinced that Kommo-o is going to be that fast of a Pokémon. It could pack a big punch, but only be as fast as a Swampert for all we know.

In regards to the Alola Guardian Deity Pokémon, since they're genderless, they could be this generation's standard legendaries (base stat total of 580). It also appears that all of them share the exact same base HP, which seems to be 85.

D

Deleted member

I'm not exactly convinced that Kommo-o is going to be that fast of a Pokémon. It could pack a big punch, but only be as fast as a Swampert for all we know.

In regards to the Alola Guardian Deity Pokémon, since they're genderless, they could be this generation's standard legendaries (base stat total of 580). It also appears that all of them share the exact same base HP, which seems to be 85.
IIRC the Dataminers found out what Hakamo-O's stats are, and it's already faster than Swampert, so I think Kommo-O's base speed will be at least 90.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Popplio's final evolution is gonna be fantastic. If it isn't OU it will be UU. No doubt in my mind at this point. (watch gamefreak give it hustle now...)

The tapu's have potential (except the grass one, he's RU at best) especially if an item is introduced that extends the number of turns terrain moves last.

Kommo'o is gonna make Garchomp look bad...I look at this guy and am genuinely scared for the meta.

Mimikyuu is a total wildcard. Could be OU for a short period but Gamefreak probably won't give it the stats it'll need to last long.

Vikavolt maybe...

Everything else is spoilery and I'm tired so maybe I'll post more in spoilers later.
If Primarina gets that one data mined move move then it'll be at OU or close to it.
I'd have to somewhat agree for the Tapu Pokemon I feel like m-Gardevoir might overshadow Tapu Kele (iirc)

Kommo'o does have an advantage with typing and ability and most likely will give garchomp a run for its money.

Not sure about Mimikyu because we don't know what it's stats are but it does have a decent ability..

Vikavolt still has competition in Galvantula if it has something that makes it unique then it'll see quite a bit of usage.

Alo Persian might actually get to see some usage with Fur coat. If it's defense is the same it'll be at level with Frou except probably not getting cotton guard.

Decidueye will probably see a lot of usage (imo will reach OU) with having the best of the three starter signature moves and being able to set up a possible kill zone.. this will probably get a few Suspect tests
IIRC the Dataminers found out what Hakamo-O's stats are, and it's already faster than Swampert, so I think Kommo-O's base speed will be at least 90.
some of the stats can still fall a bit

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Popping in to say I changed the title, sorry I haven't been here in a bit. Forgot to check here after data mining ended. Glad to see discussions see going on though!

Who's ready for launch in 3 weeks!?

D

Deleted member

Popping in to say I changed the title, sorry I haven't been here in a bit. Forgot to check here after data mining ended. Glad to see discussions see going on though!

I am.

Sucks that my Sun copy probably won't arrive until early December though :(

D

Deleted member

I'm more than ready! I'm pretty excited in fact! :)

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I'll be ready :p I have it pre-ordered and will be getting it on release

Though I wonder how long it'll take for Showdown to be updated with the new gen stuff so we can test the new Pokemon out in the competitive scene

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'll be ready :p I have it pre-ordered and will be getting it on release

Though I wonder how long it'll take for Showdown to be updated with the new gen stuff so we can test the new Pokemon out in the competitive scene
They updated XY pretty quickly so it may be the same here.

And I'm glad to have both fully pre ordered. I hope to be able to get day one. Midnight release would be cool though.

D

Deleted member

Dang after seeing beasts like Rowlet, Dartrix, Decidueye, and Fomantis, and Laurantis, grass is definetly quickly becoming one of my favourite types looking forward to seeing more.

I'm pumped the hype has been great but actually playing the games that's where the real joy is they look to be some of the best Pokemon games to date and probably games of the year. Can't wait! Hopefully getting mine on launch.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Decidueye will probably see a lot of usage (imo will reach OU) with having the best of the three starter signature moves and being able to set up a possible kill zone.. this will probably get a few Suspect tests
The only problem with Spirit Shackle is that it has no effect against Normal-type Pokemon, so you won't be able to trap them.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
The only problem with Spirit Shackle is that it has no effect against Normal-type Pokemon, so you won't be able to trap them.
Yeah and another problem is the opponent can switch in another Pokemon before it's used to get a better match up and possibly force Decidueye out releasing the Pokemon. Or just not effect them if they're normal. But I can still see it possibly getting a few suspect tests all of which will lead to the same result in it not being banned

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The tapu's have potential (except the grass one, he's RU at best)
Grassy Terrain halves the damage of Ground type moves, which I think would be at least fill a niche. With an Assault Vest + self healing moves like Leech Horn (which also gets essentially double STAB) + the passive heal from GT itself, it'll hold its own even in higher tiers.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Grassy Terrain halves the damage of Ground type moves, which I think would be at least fill a niche. With an Assault Vest + self healing moves like Leech Horn (which also gets essentially double STAB) + the passive heal from GT itself, it'll at least hold its own even in the lower tiers.
It only effects 3 of the physical ones though so Earth power will still have full effect. And it's resistant to ground moves already so it'll most likely see more use in doubles so it can have a stronger effect but the HP recovery is going to be annoying to deal with in singles as well lol grassy terrain boosting leech horn, the HP recovery effect, and possibly leech seed or leftovers if it has it..

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm assuming it'll be able to get Bulk Up and potentially get Drain Punch via move tutor (assuming they don't go back to "wait until the 3rd version before we get the cool features").

It already is confirmed to get Wood Hammer via the Japanese trailer, so if it gets Play Rough (or some new physical Fairy move) and Stone Edge to deal with Fire/Flying type switch-ins, then it should be solid against everything except Poison/Steel types offensively (which I doubt you'd want to stay in against anyway). It'll definitely give Swampert, Garchomp and Landorus trouble (and potentially Zygarde if it eventually gets unbanned in future VGC format).

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
You make a good point. Its really hard to tell as of now what will do well in the meta.

I'm conviced that Tapu Bulu could potentially be UU now but OU still seems like a stretch. His 4x weakness to poison, weaknesses common offensive types flying, fire, and steel, his ability often healing his opponent, and grass type's lack of offensive presence all hold him back.

His "double stab" boosted horn leeches and wood hammers are definately a plus though. If he gets the things you said then he'll definately have potential.

Showdown is about to get hectic.:025:

I've also been thinking about Primarina's signature move. What if its similar to smellingsalts? Basically it'll cure the burn but do 2x damage if the target is burned.

I still don't think its good because its gimmicky and forces Primerina to run two water stabs but at least with this theory we can kinda see what gamefreak was thinking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom