• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon Released! Discuss here!

Are you excited?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Nah, they reveal both at the same time... and both are Fire/Fighting types.

Looks like the "Rockruff and starters share a secret" thing was a misunderstanding.
Well that's something good to have cleared up.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Looks like the "Rockruff and starters share a secret" thing was a misunderstanding.
Looking at that quote again, I'm curious where he's getting the 'it asked about the final evolutions' bit as the translations I've seen doesn't mention evolutions in the quote. The one most refer to and has been commonly accepted has it say "there's a secret in its (Rockruff's) little body, in fact, the starters also hide a secret", which doesn't mention evolution at all. I'm guessing it's a different quote? I'll have to ask someone with the magazine later.

Either way, as I said in the other thread, it doesn't really change much about the situation as we knew it wasn't that they shared a secret, it was that both had secrets. So the possibility of them having similar secrets is still there, we just don't know what and can't assume it's exactly the same.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So Lycanroc Midday and Midnight formes, And Passimian exclusive to Pokemon Sun, and Oranguru exclusive to Pokemon Moon. I like them Lycanrocs Midday forme stands out more it's just so majestic and elegant looking, the midnight forme is beastly and savage looking though cool. Passimian and Oranguru are great, Pokon Refresh will come in handy and be fun, the fashon choices look good and Pikachu and Eevee stand out Witt their Z-moves fun stuff onward to October 4th.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Everything about moon so far is drawing me in
Bat, night, werewolf

Although Absorb> Beauty

But who cares if you can't catch them

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I'm probably going to evolve my rockruff at night so I can get the midday form because I don't really like the midnight form all that much (I'm getting moon lol) I mean they give the midday form a rock priority move and the midnight form counter.. I'm just curious as to why counter instead of something more useful and/or new..

Anyone think that Smogon is going to end up banning Instruct in doubles and triples format?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Anyone think that Smogon is going to end up banning Instruct in doubles and triples format?
It will depend on how fast Oranguru is, along with what Instruct's priority level is going to be. If Oranguru is a slow Pokemon, it'll be quite hard to utilize Instruct if the opposing Pokemon gang up on it.

For all we know though, Instruct could be a decreased priority move that goes after Counter, and goes before Roar. Then again, that would seem rather doubtful.

Anyway, based on the latest trailer, Oranguru's base HP seems to be 105, assuming it has 0 HP EVs and a 0 HP IV.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
It will depend on how fast Oranguru is, along with what Instruct's priority level is going to be. If Oranguru is a slow Pokemon, it'll be quite hard to utilize Instruct if the opposing Pokemon gang up on it.

For all we know though, Instruct could be a decreased priority move that goes after Counter, and goes before Roar. Then again, that would seem rather doubtful.

Anyway, based on the latest trailer, Oranguru's base HP seems to be 105, assuming it has 0 HP EVs and a 0 HP IV.
My understanding is the specific mechanics of the move make the instructed Pokemon use the move it used last, which to me suggests a low speed - which is probably good balancing when all is said and done. I think a stat spread similar to Reuniclus is quite likely, and the HP you've just posted (aside from being great) is a step in the right direction.

I'll personally be surprised if it's banned.

As an aside someone earlier mentioned knowing this would always have Telepathy but Inner Focus is another doubles focused ability that also partners well with a presumably low speed in singles.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
As an aside someone earlier mentioned knowing this would always have Telepathy but Inner Focus is another doubles focused ability that also partners well with a presumably low speed in singles.
Inner focus isn't really a doubles focused ability though.. it can be used to counter fake out users in every format and Serene grace Jirachi and only gagging to worry about paralysis. Though depending on what it's HA will be it'll probably see more use with Inner focus in singles because Telepathy is useless in this format

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Inner focus isn't really a doubles focused ability though.. it can be used to counter fake out users in every format and Serene grace Jirachi and only gagging to worry about paralysis. Though depending on what it's HA will be it'll probably see more use with Inner focus in singles because Telepathy is useless in this format
I thought Fake Out was more common in doubles, but fair enough. Either way it's there for a reason.

Though I'll hold out unhealthy amounts of hope for Magic Guard, I wouldn't be surprised if the HA is something like Friend Guard that's still useless in singles.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Inner Focus may seem like a pointless ability to have, but it's actually rather handy against Fake Out users, since even if you get hit by Fake Out, Inner Focus protects your Pokemon from flinching, and it can still initiate its move. And of course, there's also the moves that have a chance to cause flinching.

My understanding is the specific mechanics of the move make the instructed Pokemon use the move it used last, which to me suggests a low speed - which is probably good balancing when all is said and done. I think a stat spread similar to Reuniclus is quite likely, and the HP you've just posted (aside from being great) is a step in the right direction.
It may also depend on how fast the opponents are. It seems that Oranguru moved before Alolan Marowak and Mudsdale, so it probably isn't anywhere near as slow as Reuniclus. I would predict somewhere around a base 55 speed for Oranguru, but I also speculated that Alolan Marowak's base speed would be 65, but that probably seems doubtful now.

Also, Alolan Marowak did survive Surf during a double battle, so its special defense would have to be better than 50, assuming that Wishiwashi's School Form has roughly the same base special attack as Mega Slowbro.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Inner Focus is actually a great abillity
I don't know how good it is competitively, but it's definetly useful in a playthrough
My Lucario in Platinum and my Mienshao in Black both had this abillity, and with how common Fake out is in both of these games, it was incredibly useful

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Inner Focus is actually a great abillity
I don't know how good it is competitively, but it's definetly useful in a playthrough
My Lucario in Platinum and my Mienshao in Black both had this abillity, and with how common Fake out is in both of these games, it was incredibly useful
It is a good ability but it's still a bit situational and not as practical as some of the other abilities like reckless and regenerator both of which mienshao has.. it's usually a last resort ability if it doesn't have a better one.. kind of like Lucario.. so if it didn't get anything as good for a ha it'll be considered restricted because of not as useful abilities and a good move that's only for doubles or triples..

Also I just bought of something for triples.. helping hand, (insert multi hit move), then instruct..

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Inner Focus may seem like a pointless ability to have, but it's actually rather handy against Fake Out users, since even if you get hit by Fake Out, Inner Focus protects your Pokemon from flinching, and it can still initiate its move. And of course, there's also the moves that have a chance to cause flinching.

It may also depend on how fast the opponents are. It seems that Oranguru moved before Alolan Marowak and Mudsdale, so it probably isn't anywhere near as slow as Reuniclus. I would predict somewhere around a base 55 speed for Oranguru, but I also speculated that Alolan Marowak's base speed would be 65, but that probably seems doubtful now.

Also, Alolan Marowak did survive Surf during a double battle, so its special defense would have to be better than 50, assuming that Wishiwashi's School Form has roughly the same base special attack as Mega Slowbro.
That's fair, but I still think the broad distribution could be similar. Reuniclus has:

110/065/075/125/085/030/490

So Oranguru could have something like this:

110/060/090/100/090/060/510

That's what I am hoping for. This sort of thing seems well suited to its doubles role as well as looking pretty decent for singles.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Midnight Lycanroc does seem like it's getting the short end of the stick, though. Hopefully it has something to make up for it, like better coverage moves?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That's fair, but I still think the broad distribution could be similar. Reuniclus has:

110/065/075/125/085/030/490

So Oranguru could have something like this:

110/060/090/100/090/060/510

That's what I am hoping for. This sort of thing seems well suited to its doubles role as well as looking pretty decent for singles.
Personally, I was more thinking that Oranguru's best stat would be its special defense, and since its max HP is set at 165 while at level 50 in the trailer, its base HP can't be higher than 105. I guess on my end, I'm more thinking the following for Oranguru's base stat spread...

Oranguru
HP: 105
Attack: 40
Defense: 70
SP ATK: 100
SP DEF: 120
Speed: 55
Total: 490

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Personally, I was more thinking that Oranguru's best stat would be its special defense, and since its max HP is set at 165 while at level 50 in the trailer, its base HP can't be higher than 105. I guess on my end, I'm more thinking the following for Oranguru's base stat spread...

Oranguru
Apologies, I mistakenly took the 105 as s minimum rather than a maximum.

Your spread seems pretty reasonable too.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433

Oranguru
This is probably really accurate, although I can see its SP A being 80 as it's being shown to be more of a support 'mon.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This is probably really accurate, although I can see its SP A being 80 as it's being shown to be more of a support 'mon.
Even support Pokemon can potentially have a strong offensive stat though. Porygon2 is one notable example, where it can set up Trick Room and Gravity, while also having a base 105 special attack to use for its offensive options (such as Ice Beam).

Basically, while Oranguru may be seen as a support Pokemon, it could also be used as a sweeper if it gains access to moves like Calm Mind, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, and Dazzling Gleam; even Nasty Plot would be good to have. As such, a base 100 special attack would at least show that Oranguru could also be used offensively.

On a side note, Instruct's usage is very impractical in a single battle or rotation battle, so Oranguru would have to change its strategy in such battle formats.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Even support Pokemon can potentially have a strong offensive stat though. Porygon2 is one notable example, where it can set up Trick Room and Gravity, while also having a base 105 special attack to use for its offensive options (such as Ice Beam).

Basically, while Oranguru may be seen as a support Pokemon, it could also be used as a sweeper if it gains access to moves like Calm Mind, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, and Dazzling Gleam; even Nasty Plot would be good to have. As such, a base 100 special attack would at least show that Oranguru could also be used offensively.

On a side note, Instruct's usage is very impractical in a single battle or rotation battle, so Oranguru would have to change its strategy in such battle formats.
Oh yeah that's true. Nasty Plot would work well on it with the above spread. Hopefully it gets decent recovery options too. Wouldn't be surprised if it has Slack Off.

Nasty Plot, Slack Off + 2 attacks in singles.

Also, I wonder if it'll get a decent STAB Normal Sp. A.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Oh yeah that's true. Nasty Plot would work well on it with the above spread. Hopefully it gets decent recovery options too. Wouldn't be surprised if it has Slack Off.

Nasty Plot, Slack Off + 2 attacks in singles.

Also, I wonder if it'll get a decent STAB Normal Sp. A.
There's always Tri Attack, though it's less powerful than Return and Frustration. I'm actually surprised that we have yet to receive a special attack variant of Return and Frustration.

D

Deleted member

Everything about moon so far is drawing me in
Bat, night, werewolf

Although Absorb> Beauty

But who cares if you can't catch them
I feel the same way about Pokemon Sun, with Solgaleo, Lycanroc midday forme and the day time. These games have everything we love about Pokemon but they have things that set them apart Sun is looking to be my favourite Pokemon game and I'm super excited. November 18th can't come soon enough.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So far when it comes to the different versions...Moon wins but only by a slim margin...
I like both forms of Lycanroc, both Passimian and Oranguru, as well as both Solgaleo and Lunala...
I was actually planning on getting both versions regardless but it'll be hard to determine which of the two I like better...

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I'm team Sun all the way. The Lion looks much cooler than the bat. I don't care about either monkey. The midnight form of Lycanroc makes me think of Verlisify who I hate. If I'm playing during the day I want it to be day time. UB-02 is actually hilarious. The other is a glowing cockroach.

Just my thoughts. Unless Mimikyu is exclusive to moon (probably won't be) I'm getting sun.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
There's one thing I'm curious about instruct in triple battles.. if you use it on a Pokemon who used Quiver dance and have a Pokemon with the ability dancer will it also use Quiver dance a second time.. you could possibly have 2 Pokemon with +2 Sp Atk, Sp Def, and speed (+2 Atk, and +2 speed with DD, or +4 attack with swords dance) in one turn.. with the Dancer Pokemon having used protect or another move to damage a Pokemon or multiple Pokemon..

SM Sola

Smash Cadet
I'm really on the fence about getting this. I was initially set on not buying it - I'd had my fill of Pokemon from X/Y. But there are so many new features from the last gen that have been added, I'm really considering caving in and getting it :o

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'm really on the fence about getting this. I was initially set on not buying it - I'd had my fill of Pokemon from X/Y. But there are so many new features from the last gen that have been added, I'm really considering caving in and getting it :o
I'd say go for it. The game is looking really polished and filled with content, and could quite possibly be the best in the series to fans if done right.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This is probably doubtful by now, but I've still been thinking about some more possible mega evolutions...

Mega Golduck
Type: Water/Psychic
Ability: Swift Swim
HP: 80
Attack: 82
Defense: 88 (+10)
SP ATK: 125 (+30)
SP DEF: 110 (+30)
Speed: 115 (+30)
Total: 600 (+100)

If Golduck is supposed to have psychic powers, then its mega evolution should probably be part Psychic-type. Also, the combination of Swift Swim and a base 115 speed could further strengthen AlphaSapphire's Pokedex entry for Golduck.

Mega Farfetch'd
Type: Normal/Flying
Ability: Huge Power
HP: 52
Attack: 95 (+30)
Defense: 75 (+20)
SP ATK: 58
SP DEF: 72 (+10)
Speed: 100 (+40)
Total: 452 (+100)

If Farfetch'd could mega evolve and gain access to Huge Power, that would surely make it more usable than ever before; it could also give Staraptor a run for its money.

Mega Bellossom
Type: Grass/Fairy
Ability: Chlorophyll
HP: 75
Attack: 40 (-40)
Defense: 105 (+10)
SP ATK: 130 (+40)
SP DEF: 140 (+40)
Speed: 100 (+50)
Total: 590 (+100)

To go with the mega evolution, it would also be nice if Bellossom gained access to Weather Ball, so that way, it has a Fire-type attack to use during intense sunlight. That would also scare off Steel-types if they don't change the weather conditions. Oddish can learn Moonblast, so that would at least make it reasonable for Bellossom's mega evolution to be part Fairy-type, but it will feel ironic for Mega Bellossom to have a 4x weakness against Poison-type attacks when its pre-evolutions are part Poison-type.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
This is probably doubtful by now, but I've still been thinking about some more possible mega evolutions...

Mega Golduck
Type: Water/Psychic
Ability: Swift Swim
HP: 80
Attack: 82
Defense: 88 (+10)
SP ATK: 125 (+30)
SP DEF: 110 (+30)
Speed: 115 (+30)
Total: 600 (+100)

If Golduck is supposed to have psychic powers, then its mega evolution should probably be part Psychic-type. Also, the combination of Swift Swim and a base 115 speed could further strengthen AlphaSapphire's Pokedex entry for Golduck.

Mega Farfetch'd
Type: Normal/Flying
Ability: Huge Power
HP: 52
Attack: 95 (+30)
Defense: 75 (+20)
SP ATK: 58
SP DEF: 72 (+10)
Speed: 100 (+40)
Total: 452 (+100)

If Farfetch'd could mega evolve and gain access to Huge Power, that would surely make it more usable than ever before; it could also give Staraptor a run for its money.

Mega Bellossom
Type: Grass/Fairy
Ability: Chlorophyll
Attack: 40 (-40)
Defense: 105 (+10)
SP ATK: 130 (+40)
SP DEF: 140 (+40)
Speed: 100 (+50)

To go with the mega evolution, it would also be nice if Bellossom gained access to Weather Ball, so that way, it has a Fire-type attack to use during intense sunlight. That would also scare off Steel-types if they don't change the weather conditions. Oddish can learn Moonblast, so that would at least make it reasonable for Bellossom's mega evolution to be part Fairy-type, but it will feel ironic for Mega Bellossom to have a 4x weakness against Poison-type attacks when its pre-evolutions are part Poison-type.

Those would all be solid choices. Each could use the gain in stat boosts. I'd love to see them. And perhaps Fighting Flying for Farfetch'd? It's stick would be more like a staff and could take a monk like look.

Huge power is a good ability for it though.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
If we're talking Megas I still want my Dragon/Steel Mega Haxorus....

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Those would all be solid choices. Each could use the gain in stat boosts. I'd love to see them. And perhaps Fighting Flying for Farfetch'd? It's stick would be more like a staff and could take a monk like look.

Huge power is a good ability for it though.
Some point after I made my previous post, I was also thinking about a Mega Vileplume, but unlike Mega Bellossom, it would actually suffer from a speed decrease, but its special attack would become much stronger, and it would also be more bulky with the defense stat.

Mega Vileplume
Type: Grass/Poison
Ability: Effect Spore
Attack: 80
Defense: 145 (+60)
SP ATK: 160 (+50)
SP DEF: 110 (+20)
Speed: 20 (-30)

Basically, when Vileplume mega evolves, the flower on its head would grow so huge that it heavily struggles to move, which is further proven by the 30 point speed decrease; it would be 10 points slower than Oddish. However, the flower's increased size can serve as an improved defensive shield, enabling Mega Vileplume to withstand physical attacks better, but its special defense is less powerful than its physical defense, making it the polar opposite of Mega Bellossom, in terms of defense.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I've always wanted a Mega Sunflora.

Grass/Fire.

Head turns into pretty much a mini sun.

Ability: Drought

Attack: 75
Defence: 85 (+30)
Special Attack: 145 (+40)
Special Defense: 115 (+30)
Speed: 30

With Solar Beam, Light Screen, Morning Sun, Leech Seed and Giga Drain it could be good.

But it'd be better if it got a Fire-type move. Wouldn't be too odd as it's a SUN flower. Heat Wave seems suitable.

With a Fire and Grass move it'd hit 7 types with STAB. Wouldn't be weak to Water. Would be weak to Poison, Flying and Rock... but Rock Pokemon would be scared of a 145 STAB Solar Beam.

What do I know though.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Here's a question for everyone:

How would you react if Sun and Moon had a postgame similar to XY, or Sun and Moon didn't feel complete to the point you want a third version/sequel to happen, but then we don't get a third version/sequel for SM?

Though Sun and Moon has been giving us a lot of promising information thus far, I'm honestly ready for the worst-case scenario where Sun and Moon will leave us wishing more from Alola after what happened in XY and how we didn't get Z to make up for it.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

How would you react if Sun and Moon had a postgame similar to XY, or Sun and Moon didn't feel complete to the point you want a third version/sequel to happen, but then we don't get a third version/sequel for SM?

Though Sun and Moon has been giving us a lot of promising information thus far, I'm honestly ready for the worst-case scenario where Sun and Moon will leave us wishing more from Alola after what happened in XY and how we didn't get Z to make up for it.
I'd be pretty disappointed actually. With all the effort going into this, it be hard to see no postgame.

I'd be quite disappointed. Especially as postgame was one of the biggest complaints of fanbase in Gen 6, so they really should fix it.

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209

I'd be pretty disappointed actually. With all the effort going into this, it be hard to see no postgame.
I'd be quite disappointed. Especially as postgame was one of the biggest complaints of fanbase in Gen 6, so they really should fix it.
But look at the ORAS post game, theres still hope

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I'm going for Pokémon Sun. I really like the exclusives on there more then what's on Pokémon Moon. Especially Lycanroc Midday, I'm all over that.
The only thing I really like exclusive-wise in Moon is Oranguru, because Orangutans.

And Instruct x Mega Kangaskhan. :4villager:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
And Instruct x Mega Kangaskhan. :4villager:
You do have to wonder if the targeted Pokemon will attack a random opponent though. This may mean that using Instruct on a Pokemon who recently used a single target attack may not exactly work out the way you want it to.

Also, with Wide Guard being able to work all the time now, that's another problem that Instruct will have to deal with, as Wide Guard protects Pokemon from multi-target attacks. With Instruct being around, you'll have to keep your eyes open for any opposing Pokemon who has Wide Guard, as that could end up containing Instruct if you're not ready for it.

Top Bottom