• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon Released! Discuss here!

Are you excited?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Team Rocket does come back though, most likely continuing their goal of stealing Ash's Pikachu, along with some other rare Pokemon.
I can't believe I was even doubting they would be axed, but I'm so relieved to see Team Rocket are back, and from the image, it looks like they will still be their lovable old goofy self, with Wobbuffet in tow (thank god). These three still produce some of the most memorable moments in the Anime, and are probably the main reason I still watch the Anime regularly (and probably why I generally disliked the Unova arc until the "Adventures in Unova" part, aside from a few parts, such as Cynthia and Dawn's returning episodes).

I'll admit, if she doesn't end up returning with Ash in the next season, I'll be actually quite sad to see Serena go. While Misty and Dawn will still be my favourite two, the chemistry between Serena and Ash is admirable, and the development of her as a character was also by far the most interesting, and it will make me sad to see her go, especially when you consider how far they could have played with the whole "Amourshipping" thing, with it being canon.

Another thing that interests me about the anime image, is Charizard in the top left corner. I can see it looks like there is somebody riding it, but I wonder if we will see more of Ash's Charizard in this arc, even as mainly a transport Pokémon. It would certainly be a good way to earn brownie points with the long time fans to just bring Charizard back into relevancy for a while. Maybe then we could have an excuse further down the line for Ash to finally get a real Mega Evolution (though that last bit I feel very unlikely).

What's more, if you think about it, Ash actually has owned or owns 3 of the 4 riding Pokémon in that image, being Charizard, Tauros and Lapras. While I think it's extremely unlikely Lapras would return, it's certainly not out of the question for him to call upon Charizard and Tauros for some transportation help.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm kind of wondering about how Lugarugan's typing will be affected. Rockruff is a Rock-type, so I'm probably guessing that Lugarugan's Midday Form will be a pure Rock-type, while the Night Form will be a Rock/Dark-type.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm kind of wondering about how Lugarugan's typing will be affected. Rockruff is a Rock-type, so I'm probably guessing that Lugarugan's Midday Form will be a pure Rock-type, while the Night Form will be a Rock/Dark-type.
I'm leaning towards Rock/Ghost for midnight form because of the Kaupe from Hawaiian folklore...

Said to be a spirit that roams the island of Oahu and is referred to as the 'calling ghost'...much like the siren myth it calls to its victims to lure them...its appearance is said to be a humanoid wolf, basically a hawaiian werewolf...

Although as it is a malevolent spirit Dark type can still make sense...

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I am expecting the Midday form to be either Pure rock, or Rock/Fairy (hopefully not because of that Steel Weakness), but Rock/Dark is very likely to happen fopr night form.. I just hope that the Lack of Rock type 100% accuracy doesn't become a problem also I'm expecting the Night form to be more Physical based than Special with the Midday form being able to go either way. I'm hoping the speed will be faster than 102 base so it can go faster than most pokemon but more importantly Garchomp..

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Something interesting when researching Lugarugan's etymology...

Lu
Likely from Lupis which latin for Wolf

Garu
Likely from Garuru which is japanese for Growl

Gan
Was a bit harder to pin down exactly where this might have come from, however I found that the compound Gallium Nitrate (GaN) is used in light emitting diodes in Blu-Rays...but is also used in Solar Cells in Satellites....Lugarugan's day form evolves from Rockruff after taking in the sun's rays...as if it became solar power from the Sun's energy...night form evolve's from the night's power which possibly comes from moonlight...

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I'm leaning towards Rock/Ghost for midnight form because of the Kaupe from Hawaiian folklore...

Said to be a spirit that roams the island of Oahu and is referred to as the 'calling ghost'...much like the siren myth it calls to its victims to lure them...its appearance is said to be a humanoid wolf, basically a hawaiian werewolf...

Plus Rock/Ghost would be much more interesting - we don't have one of those yet, do we?

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Plus Rock/Ghost would be much more interesting - we don't have one of those yet, do we?
Nope...it would be a better combination as well...though only just as both have 6 weaknesses...but Rock/Ghost has no 4x weakness and not 1 but 2 immunities...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There is also the fact that images from some manga show Rockruff with a ghost Z stone

So, Rock/ Ghost

He's going to be on my team though I like him

Argos

Smash Apprentice
Something interesting when researching Lugarugan's etymology...

Lu
Likely from Lupis which latin for Wolf

Garu
Likely from Garuru which is japanese for Growl

Gan
Was a bit harder to pin down exactly where this might have come from, however I found that the compound Gallium Nitrate (GaN) is used in light emitting diodes in Blu-Rays...but is also used in Solar Cells in Satellites....Lugarugan's day form evolves from Rockruff after taking in the sun's rays...as if it became solar power from the Sun's energy...night form evolve's from the night's power which possibly comes from moonlight...
There's also "loup-garou," a French variation on the werewolf.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

I know that Rock/Dark is already covered by Tyranitar, but it would at least make sense for Lugarugan's Night Form to be Rock/Dark too. Of course, Rock/Dark is among the worst type combinations defensively, but it would at least give Lugarugan's Night Form a STABbed Crunch or Sucker Punch if it gets either of those attacks. However, the Rock-type is still lacking a 100% accurate physical attack, and Power Gem (along with Dark Pulse) won't be of much use if Lugarugan's special attack stat isn't very good for either of its forms.

I am expecting the Midday form to be either Pure rock, or Rock/Fairy (hopefully not because of that Steel Weakness), but Rock/Dark is very likely to happen fopr night form.. I just hope that the Lack of Rock type 100% accuracy doesn't become a problem also I'm expecting the Night form to be more Physical based than Special with the Midday form being able to go either way. I'm hoping the speed will be faster than 102 base so it can go faster than most pokemon but more importantly Garchomp..
I'm not too sure about Lugarugan's Midday Form being a Rock/Fairy-type. While this would lead to a Dragon-type immunity, at the same time, the 4x weakness to Steel-type attacks means that you'll have to watch out for Bullet Punch. I know that Carbink can potentially survive a Bullet Punch, but I don't expect Lugarugan to be "that" sturdy with its defenses, so you'd have to switch out if Metagross, Scizor, or Mega Lucario show up.

On a side note, it would be very ironic for Lugarugan's Midday Form to have access to Moonblast if it is part Fairy-type, since the Midday Form is a daytime evolution.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Kind of weird that they didn't show the typings, to be honest. What's going on? Some of us want to be able to plan out our teams!

Though I have no idea what could even work for the day form. Rock/Normal? Pure Rock? It looks more like something that'd become a Light type if they were to ever implement such a thing in Gen 8 or whenever...

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Kind of weird that they didn't show the typings, to be honest. What's going on? Some of us want to be able to plan out our teams!

Though I have no idea what could even work for the day form. Rock/Normal? Pure Rock? It looks more like something that'd become a Light type if they were to ever implement such a thing in Gen 8 or whenever...
That's actually where I thought about Rock/fairy typing because of the light element is missing and fairy is probably the closest to it.. :lol:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
That's actually where I thought about Rock/fairy typing because of the light element is missing and fairy is probably the closest to it.. :lol:
Yet it's not Light, and I doubt they'd make such a reach when they haven't before. If anything, they'd leave it pure Rock or have it be Rock/Normal (since one thing they use Normal for is as a placeholder for stuff that doesn't fit into currently existing types like pure light or sound) and leave the option open for if or when they decided to make Light a thing. Sort of like the Helioptile line.

Either way, we'll probably get more info in the trailer on Wednesday, and whenever the official reveal is, we'll be able to read the lore on the website to figure this out.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I really doubt Lugarugan will be Normal type...

What Pokemon evolves into a Normal type that wasn't already a Normal type? None that I can think of...if Rockruff was already a Normal type then it would make more sense but instead its pure Rock...

Also what would be the application to adding a Normal type? I don't really see it and since Night is an alternate form its pretty much its own Pokemon...so there really isn't a point in just slapping Normal type on their...

But then again stranger things have happened...and they could still do it and give an explanation why its the case...

It just seems a but strange to me...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Lately I've been kind of wondering how Highhorse Power would work. It's a Ground-type attack, but part of me feels like it shouldn't be an inferior Earthquake. Maybe it could operate like Gyro Ball?

Highhorse Power
Type: Ground
Category: Physical
Power: ---
Accuracy: 100%
PP: 5
Effect: The user stomps the target hard with its hooves. The slower the user, the greater the power (25 * (Target's speed / User's speed)). Maximum base power is 150.

Basically, the idea would be that Highhorse Power would pack more power against faster Pokemon, while the slower Pokemon wouldn't be damaged as much. This would give Mudsdale a good reason to be very slow.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'm thinking Rock/Normal, Rock/Dark.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Serebii just updated and said that Midday form has a Priority rock move called accelrock. :b: RiP Charizard lol

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I hope that move isn't a signature one, it sounds awesome.
At the same time, that would make anything with a 4x weakness to Rock-type attacks practically useless; Stealth Rock + AccelRock = Fast KO.

Of course, AccelRock could just be a status move. We need more information about the move anyway.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
What we don't know is how powerful the attack will be. It may just be a Rock-type Quick Attack.
That's all it really needs tbh.. assuming we also get a reliable Rock move that isn't Stone edge, or rock slide then we have a very good chance to see our first fast rock type Pokemon in ou assuming the stats and movepool are good..
I hope that move isn't a signature one, it sounds awesome.
Hopefully not but if it is then hopefully it won't get the Night Daze treatment and be restricted to just the midday form with no egg moves..
At the same time, that would make anything with a 4x weakness to Rock-type attacks practically useless; Stealth Rock + AccelRock = Fast KO.

Of course, AccelRock could just be a status move. We need more information about the move anyway.
Hopefully not. I'm hoping it'll be the Rock variation of quick attack..

One quick set that will probably be standard if it doesn't get as good of a movepool is
252 Atk / 252 speed
AccelRock
Uturn
Stealth rock
(Insert Rock move for better damage)

This is pretty much a set similar to Infernape. I feel safe with giving it u-turn and Stealth rock lol

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

Not really. You just limit the distribution to rock types, which could use the buff anyway.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Of course, AccelRock could just be a status move.
nope one of my friends looked over the Japanese text and the translation said "Pre-emptive attack" and "this one was excellent" when Vikavolt was attacked by the move.. which means it's either Physical/Special but most likely Physical because the majority of priority moves is Physical with the exception of Vacuum Wave..

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
nope one of my friends looked over the Japanese text and the translation said "Pre-emptive attack" and "this one was excellent" when Vikavolt was attacked by the move.. which means it's either Physical/Special but most likely Physical because the majority of priority moves is Physical with the exception of Vacuum Wave..
Most physical attacks involve making physical contact though, but there can be exceptions to that rule, such as with Earthquake, Smack Down, and Egg Bomb. And so far, the only Rock-type attacks that do make physical contact are Head Smash and Rollout.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Most physical attacks involve making physical contact though, but there can be exceptions to that rule, such as with Earthquake, Smack Down, and Egg Bomb. And so far, the only Rock-type attacks that do make physical contact are Head Smash and Rollout.
Rock is seriously lacking in special attacks anyway...Ancient Power and Power Gem are the only two off the top of my head I can think of...I feel like AccelRock will be physical as it sounds like its pretty much a Rock type Ice Shard...

Most Rock type attacks involve chucking rocks at your opponent in some way so it does make sense...

One idea I had for a special Rock type attack is 'Salt Spray' which is essentially a special Rock type Brick Break...

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
What we don't know is how powerful the attack will be. It may just be a Rock-type Quick Attack.
That can still be enough to kill charziard's, talonflames, and anything else X4 weak to fire in one hit though. Train in attack enough, and that priority move will hurt.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That can still be enough to kill charziard's, talonflames, and anything else X4 weak to fire in one hit though. Train in attack enough, and that priority move will hurt.
That's pretty much it. AccelRock can mean instant defeat for anything with a 4x weakness against Rock-type attacks, especially when you take into account Stealth Rock damage, so it needs to be limited to just a few Pokemon so that Charizard, Talonflame, and Volcarona don't end up becoming completely worthless in competitive play.

Ice Shard got off easy, since there are no Ice-type variants of Stealth Rock giving Garchomp, Salamence, and Rayquaza a hard time.

Anyway, I do expect Talonflame to outspeed Lugarugan, but frankly, it's a rather foolish move to use Talonflame against a Rock-type during a single battle, even if Gale Wings enables its Brave Bird to strike before AccelRock.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
That's pretty much it. AccelRock can mean instant defeat for anything with a 4x weakness against Rock-type attacks, especially when you take into account Stealth Rock damage, so it needs to be limited to just a few Pokemon so that Charizard, Talonflame, and Volcarona don't end up becoming completely worthless in competitive play.

Ice Shard got off easy, since there are no Ice-type variants of Stealth Rock giving Garchomp, Salamence, and Rayquaza a hard time.

Anyway, I do expect Talonflame to outspeed Lugarugan, but frankly, it's a rather foolish move to use Talonflame against a Rock-type during a single battle, even if Gale Wings enables its Brave Bird to strike before AccelRock.
Stealth Rock will also be pretty useful. Hope Lugarugan can learn it, as well as ancient power. It could certainly become a useful rock type pokemon.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569

considering how they have been throwing things like Dazzling I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't limit AccelRock to just Lugarugan.. but if it's a move that is as limited as Water shuriken then We'll probably see Lugarugan in OU to counter those with a 4X weak to rock..

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Stealth Rock will also be pretty useful. Hope Lugarugan can learn it, as well as ancient power. It could certainly become a useful rock type pokemon.
I'd more prefer it if Lugarugan gained access to Power Gem, along with a good special attack stat. Power Gem is a viable attack, but the problem is that the Rock-type Pokemon who can learn that attack don't excel very well in the special attack department.

Speaking of Rockruff and Lugarugan, I did kind of speculate on a possible base stat spread for them.

Rockruff
HP: 50
Attack: 60
Defense: 40
SP ATK: 60
SP DEF: 40
Speed: 55
Total: 305

Lugarugan
HP: 80
Attack: 110
Defense: 60
SP ATK: 110
SP DEF: 60
Speed: 105
Total: 525

Not all Rock-type Pokemon have good defenses, as Aerodactyl, Cranidos, and Rampardos have shown us.

Now, if Lugarugan's Midday Form is part Fairy-type, having a base 105 speed would enable it to outspeed Garchomp and potentially take it down with either Play Rough, or in a sense of irony, Moonblast; it will have to watch out for Earthquake though.

In regards to the Night Form, it would have the exact same base stat spread as the Midday Form, and if it's part Dark-type, it could take advantage of a STABbed Crunch, Sucker Punch, or Dark Pulse.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Y'know, I'm not with the camp that believes the starters have multiple evos

TBH, I much more believe that there is some kind of Z-form

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I probably should've mentioned this earlier, but yesterday's information in regards to Lugarugan also revealed Vikavolt's HP at level 50. With its max HP set at 137 on the image, it appears that Vikavolt's base HP is exactly 77 (assuming 0 EVs and a 0 HP IV), which is higher than I had speculated.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
They seem like aliens, but they don't seem to be catchable. Although a recent "leak" put out an interesting idea regardless if real or fake.

It stated that the ultra beasts are aliens that come another world. They don't have types so everything is neutral on them. They get stronger as the game goes on with the final one reaching base 720 stats. So equal to Mega Rayquazza.

The reason they resemble humans is because they take the form of the first human they see and try to take over them. Your goal is to defeat them before it's impossible to spot what's real or fake.

Later in the game you find out Type Null has a unchanged Form in which it gets protean. Gladion gives you it to stop the ultra beasts and it's the only one in the game, with psudeo legend stats.

Probably fake, but that could actually work really well as a plot. I'd like to see where it goes.

Top Bottom