• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon Released! Discuss here!

Are you excited?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm confused. Thoughs on Pokemon.

Type: Null looks like a monstruosity from MOTHER 3. Worst name ever.
Jangmo-o: Looks silly.
Alola Raticate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0jOG_fV2Y0 I'm done.
Time gimmick: Doesn't sound good on practice, on theme it is alright.
Am I the only one who thinks Aether foundation are the real bad guys and Team Skull are just some disrespectful dudes that want to have fun? Just look at the leader, she looks sinister and her opening line is suspicious. Faba is so Lex Luthor. Wicke's back must hurt as Hell.
Gladion is so Leo from FE Fates.
Zygarde? Not to my interests.
Photos: Pokemon Snap meets 2016. Decent.
What the devil are Ultra Beasts?
The good thing about the time gimmick

Dusk balls

Dusk balls all day

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
We have Mega Pokemon now.

We have Ultra Pokemon now.

Gen VIII: Mega Ultra Pokemon FireRed 2 Turbo Tourbament Championship Edition with Dante from the Devil May Cry Series & Knuckles!

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Gladion is so Leo from FE Fates.
I think you mean Gladion is Odin/Owain. I mean, they both have the same iconic hand pose.

Though after watching the trailer again, Gladion does have that cold and serious nature that Leo has.

Now we just need Takumi from FE: Fates to appear in Sun and Moon in some form.

I'm also going to copy and paste my thoughts about the recent news from the Nintenzone Social.

When I first saw Type: Null's name, I thought it was referring to a new type while keeping its name a secret. It wasn't until the end of the trailer when I realized that Type: Null was its actual name. It does look pretty unique though, like its a combination of multiple Pokemon. Perhaps it was the ultimate Pokemon fashion of some sort?

Nothing much to say about Jangmo-o and Alola Raticate. I have a feeling its evolution(s) will be Steel/Dragon considering that its scales look pretty metallic, not to mention the website hints that it has some sort of "headstrong" attitude, like its determination is as hard as iron. Alola Raticate's design wasn't what I expected with the emphasis on food.

A 12 hour time difference between the Sun and Moon versions? I think it's a neat concept. It seems like in the Moon version, you could be playing the game during the day, but it will actually be dark in-game. I'm getting Sun though, so that means I'm going to see a more usual time and day feature. The version different Totem Pokemon concept is pretty neat too, especially how Gumshoos and Alola Raticate are used.

Aether Foundation was probably my favorite part of the news. It turns out that artificial island is their base, and it seems they are pretty simple folks at first considering how they are around to oppose Team Skull. When I look back at them though, I can't help but think they have the potential to be the real bad guys. Lusamine looks like a pretty mysterious character, and I wouldn't be surprised she turned out to be the main villain in the story for reasons we don't know yet.

Gladion looks like a cool character. He looks like someone that will have a major impact to the plot, perhaps even more than Guzma and Plumeria. It's interesting to see that he has Type: Null on his team. Makes me wonder what kind of connection he has to it, especially for other information I'll get to later.

Very nice to see Dexio and Sina make a return from X and Y. Makes sense that they are the ones that introduce to you about Zygarde since all three are from Kalos after all. Not surprised that the device will help you find Zygarde Cells and Cores during your adventure considering it's mostly information we already know.

Pokefinder looks like a fun feature. I'm glad they expanded the photo-taking feature from X/Y to the point we have a Pokemon Snap-like system in the main series games.

And UB-01... now this is interesting. It looks similar to Lillie, and its description even states its actions are similar to that of a young girl's. Perhaps Lillie is UB-01 but in human form? I'm really curious to see how these "Ultra Beasts" will impact the story.
There's also a new theory going around that Lusamine, Gladion, and Lillie could all be related. I mean, just look at them.

tumblr_od3d9j46yS1vsz3f3o1_500.jpg

The three look pretty similar. I'm guessing that the three are siblings, but Lillie could be an artificial human being if she really is UB-01.

Gladion siding with Team Skull makes me wonder that he could've once been a member of Aether Foundation but left for some unknown reason; perhaps it's because the AF are secretly evil? There's definitely going to be more to Gladion that meets the eye.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I think you mean Gladion is Odin/Owain. I mean, they both have the same iconic hand pose.

Though after watching the trailer again, Gladion does have that cold and serious nature that Leo has.

Now we just need Takumi from FE: Fates to appear in Sun and Moon in some form.

I'm also going to copy and paste my thoughts about the recent news from the Nintenzone Social.

There's also a new theory going around that Lusamine, Gladion, and Lillie could all be related. I mean, just look at them.

View attachment 117284

The three look pretty similar. I'm guessing that the three are siblings, but Lillie could be an artificial human being if she really is UB-01.

Gladion siding with Team Skull makes me wonder that he could've once been a member of Aether Foundation but left for some unknown reason; perhaps it's because the AF are secretly evil? There's definitely going to be more to Gladion that meets the eye.
Forgot about him, I have been playing a lot is Sacred Stones and Thracia 666 lately. The plot is looking interesting.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

I actually really like their uniforms. They are kind of overdesigned with the pouches, but meh.

I think it's one of my favorite designs of female "grunts"

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I dunno, I think the hero is going to end up teaming with Team Skull by the end of the game

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Agreed, although we will see if that holds up. A true good team could be really nice though.
I guess my biggest concern is seeing a good organization turning out to be evil. As such, I want to avoid calling any of the Aether Foundation members "grunts", as that term sounds more fitting for evil organization members.

In fact, what could be an interesting scenario is finding out that Lusamine is also the champion of the Alola League, and Guzma's older sister. Lusamine and Guzma probably didn't get along very well, especially when Lusamine managed to conquer the Island Challenges, while Guzma could not. As a result, Guzma decided to form Team Skull in hopes of getting revenge on the people who operate the Island Challenges.

Later on, you'd have to help Lusamine stop Guzma before his actions anger the guardian deities, along with Solgaleo/Lunala.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I guess my biggest concern is seeing a good organization turning out to be evil. As such, I want to avoid calling any of the Aether Foundation members "grunts", as that term sounds more fitting for evil organization members.

In fact, what could be an interesting scenario is finding out that Lusamine is also the champion of the Alola League, and Guzma's older sister. Lusamine and Guzma probably didn't get along very well, especially when Lusamine managed to conquer the Island Challenges, while Guzma could not. As a result, Guzma decided to form Team Skull in hopes of getting revenge on the people who operate the Island Challenges.

Later on, you'd have to help Lusamine stop Guzma before his actions anger the guardian deities, along with Solgaleo/Lunala.
True, they even call them members over grunts as well.

Lusamine being champion would be surprising. When I first saw them, I thought Aether would be the Elite 4, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Champion is possible though.

Also if they are related and so is Lilie, then Lilie and Guzma would be siblings. That's one wacky family.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I just want to mention how much I don't want Aether to be evil at the end...perhaps they could have a traitor amoung them or something but don't make them evil in the end...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
True, they even call them members over grunts as well.

Lusamine being champion would be surprising. When I first saw them, I thought Aether would be the Elite 4, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Champion is possible though.

Also if they are related and so is Lilie, then Lilie and Guzma would be siblings. That's one wacky family.
It's always possible that after Lusamine became champion, she decided to switch over to helping the Pokemon who exist around the Alola region. In hopes of doing that, she forms the Aether Foundation, which would be a place for Pokemon to take refuge whenever any disasters take place. Sure, Faba may look a bit suspicious, but it's probably just a facade, and he's really just doing his best to help the Pokemon.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Huh, looks like I'm not actually that crazy for thinking it was possible Lille was not human, I knew her mannerisms seemed off.

Also, didn't see it posted here yet so here's the Japanese trailer:

It has a couple things not in the English one, some of which are kind of interesting. Mainly UB-01 coming out of the portal and some more themes for Aether and Gladion(?).
Also, to add on to the speculating about Aether being good or bad, I'd like to point out that Aether's theme sounds kind of menacing and a little something a redditor noticed, that Lūsus, that Lusamine's is likely derived means this:
lūsus m ‎(feminine lūsa, neuter lūsum); first/second declension

1. played (a game or sport), having been played.
  2. practiced, having been practiced.
  3. mocked, mimicked, having been mocked.
  4. teased, ridiculed, having been teased.
  5. deceived, tricked, having been deceived.
Uh, so yeah, take that however you will. My money's on her being evil, that speech of her's sounded kind of off and even on my first watch it kind of discomforted me, I don't trust her at all lol.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Huh, looks like I'm not actually that crazy for thinking it was possible Lille was not human, I knew her mannerisms seemed off.

Also, didn't see it posted here yet so here's the Japanese trailer:

It has a couple things not in the English one, some of which are kind of interesting. Mainly UB-01 coming out of the portal and some more themes for Aether and Gladion(?).
Also, to add on to the speculating about Aether being good or bad, I'd like to point out that Aether's theme sounds kind of menacing and a little something a redditor noticed, that Lūsus, that Lusamine's is likely derived means this:
lūsus m ‎(feminine lūsa, neuter lūsum); first/second declension

1. played (a game or sport), having been played.
  2. practiced, having been practiced.
  3. mocked, mimicked, having been mocked.
  4. teased, ridiculed, having been teased.
  5. deceived, tricked, having been deceived.
Uh, so yeah, take that however you will. My money's on her being evil, that speech of her's sounded kind of off and even on my first watch it kind of discomforted me, I don't trust her at all lol.
Part of her name also comes from a flower as does Gladieon's. The two flowers combined form a Lilie flower from what I read. Thus it brings together the 3 as well as the flowers are important statement.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
When I saw the Japanese trailer, I noticed that Type: Null attacked "before" Alakazam. Unless its base speed is greater than or equal to 120, it would've had to use an increased priority attack, such as Quick Attack, to get that first strike.

Also, it seems that Palossand's base HP is nowhere near as high as I had predicted. Apparently, its base HP is exactly 93, assuming that it has an HP IV of 0, and has no HP EVs.

Stufful's base HP appears to be either 78, 79, or 80.

Turtonator's base HP could be 70 or 71, and it does move before Granbull. However, it's possible that Turtonator used an increased priority move, and it's actually slower than Granbull.

Popplio's base HP could be 60 through 63.

As for Alolan Raticate, it apparently has more HP than its normal counterpart (86-88 vs. 55), which means that the Alolan form Pokemon can actually have base HP differences.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I don't hate Alolan Raticate. I think I actually like it more than the original. Its typing is god aweful but I dig the new design.

Type: Null...I don't know what to think. My first thought was a man made absol.

The little dragon looks adorable and the evolution will most definately be awesome.

UB-01...what the **** is an ultra beast...I don't know what to feel a about this either. The fact that it resembles Lillie unnerves me. I'm scared they are going Full Metal Alchemist on us and I can't handle that twice. ;-;

The Aether group is definately going to go bad. "All pokemon are worthy of my love." Um, "worthy?" I don't like the way she words things.

The edgy kid may be a rival akin to silver which would be awesome. Not a fan of the happy go lucky kid.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
When I saw the Japanese trailer, I noticed that Type: Null attacked "before" Alakazam. Unless its base speed is greater than or equal to 120, it would've had to use an increased priority attack, such as Quick Attack, to get that first strike.

Also, it seems that Palossand's base HP is nowhere near as high as I had predicted. Apparently, its base HP is exactly 93, assuming that it has an HP IV of 0, and has no HP EVs.

Stufful's base HP appears to be either 78, 79, or 80.

Turtonator's base HP could be 70 or 71, and it does move before Granbull. However, it's possible that Turtonator used an increased priority move, and it's actually slower than Granbull.

Popplio's base HP could be 60 through 63.

As for Alolan Raticate, it apparently has more HP than its normal counterpart (86-88 vs. 55), which means that the Alolan form Pokemon can actually have base HP differences.
Yeah it looks like Turtonator used that trap move that has increased priority so we still won't know who's faster..

Also at 46 seconds of the Japanese trailer at the dock there's a metallic ship on the far right and getting cut off.. could that be a design off of a new water/steel type Pokemon? There are other ships based off of Pokemon in the shot with only one normal looking ship.. also in the same video at 2:01 through 2:10 on the building in the background.. does that look like a picture of a bird or am I seeing something that isn't actually there?.. (it looks like Pikipek but not really..)

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Gonna repost this here

So, someone was mentioning Jangmo-o evolving into a griffin

Well, I don't think so

Mo-o are actually mythological creatures in hawaii

Which apparently takes the forms of a tiny lizard, a "seductive woman" or a dragon

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Gonna repost this here

Well, I don't think so

Which apparently takes the forms of a tiny lizard, a "seductive woman" or a dragon
I think either could happen, both make enough sense. Either well it could working. It's fighting spirit fits with the gfriffon legends though.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Gonna repost this here

Well, I don't think so

Reading about the Mo'o, I didn't really see anything that directly corresponds to what we see in Jangmo-o other than name and that it's a lizard-like dragon...a lot of the legends of the Mo'o are typical of that of most dragon myths...some being malevolent while others can be viewed as divine protectors...one even being three Mo'o kidnapping a maiden and later being slain in order to rescue said maiden...

Jangmo-o's description of it being a valiant warrior fits with that of Griffons being symbols of strength and courage, often times being represented on flags and emblems...not to mention it's design and fighting behaviour are reminiscent of Ceratopsian dinosaurs, in this case a Protoceratops...it is thought that ancient gold-mining uncovered what was thought to be Griffon bones guarding the gold which were actually that of the Protoceratops, who's bird-like head and quadrupedal body could invoke such confusion in people unfamiliar with dinosaurs...this also ties into the Griffon's association with guarding Gold...Jangmo-o does indeed have a yellow/gold colouring on it's scales...

That's just what I think right now...Perhaps it could evolve into something more akin to these Hawaiian legends however...but for the most part a lot of design choices in Pokemon, especially for Sun and Moon are more or less intentional...These are things I noticed that fit within the concept of a Griffon...it would be clever use of the Protoceratops to reference the origins of the legends of Griffons methinks...
As far as name Mo'o was likely used due to it being a dragon in a Hawaiian like environment...

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Something tells me that Jangmo-o could become the Alola region's pseudo-legendary Pokemon, assuming that it can evolve twice.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Gonna repost this here

Well, I don't think so

Thanks for this. The name is a lot less irritating now I know that's behind it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Personally I'd hoping for the "Seductive woman" form it takes

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Wisiwashi is the boss of the Lana's trial, neat.

Also Alolan Oak confirmed!

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
This has to be Oak's cousin or something.

I love the memes this gen though. First long neck exeggutor and now black professor oak. I can't handle anymore. :joyful:

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Famitsu confirmed that the Oak-lookalike is named Nariya Oak, and he is Professor Oak's cousin. He tells you about the Alola forms.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
That will most likely just be the Rockruff info with one or two things thrown in though.
That's what I'm counting on.

Coincidentally, there's a full moon on the 16th. They probably didn't intentionally time the reveal this way since it's been around the middle of the month for several months now, but hey.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I've been hard at work attempting to get one of every Pokemon in preparation for banking them all to the new games (I did have the shiny charm through lots of trading). Hatched a shiny Buneary completely by accident along the way!

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
That reminds me, I wonder what new shiny methods will be introduced. I can see dexnav being gone, but like XY the pokeradar or something similar could appear.

I also wonder what could join the current methods.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
That reminds me, I wonder what new shiny methods will be introduced. I can see dexnav being gone, but like XY the pokeradar or something similar could appear.

I also wonder what could join the current methods.
I honestly hope they keep the DexNav tbh.. It's very useful for getting Pokemon with their egg moves.. though I do have a feeling they hinted at Horde battles returning with the part of the Alolan Vulpix entry (they mentioned that Alolan Vulpix are usually found in groups of 2 to 5..)

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I honestly hope they keep the DexNav tbh.. It's very useful for getting Pokemon with their egg moves.. though I do have a feeling they hinted at Horde battles returning with the part of the Alolan Vulpix entry (they mentioned that Alolan Vulpix are usually found in groups of 2 to 5..)
It was really useful, although it probably won't stay. I 'm positive hordes are back. Perhaps there could even be doubles grass again, although that's unlikely.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I can pretty much say that if horde battles don't come back, you may have to switch over to more complex EV training options.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I can pretty much say that if horde battles don't come back, you may have to switch over to more complex EV training options.
Or just ones that just take too long.. although seeing as how they made it as a feature involving Sweet Scent and Honey I think it will be one of the retained features from XY

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Super Training is fine for EV training. A little slower perhaps but I can do a Pokemon fully in an hour and a half as a leftie so the rest of you have no excuse...

Top Bottom