• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon Released! Discuss here!

Are you excited?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
So the above "leak" does mention Alolan Kangaskahn.. what type would it be given if it wasn't normal? The only thing coming to mind is fighting.. maybe ground will fit as well
Your base stat spreads you randomly made up have nothing to do with anything.

This is a very simple argument. Alolan Marowak would be able to set itself apart from Chandalure better if they keep Marowak as a physical attacker.

A special attack that deals physical damage is not the same thing. Its one move, two if he gets psyshock, which greatly limits versatility. Even if it does happen why wouldn't Chandalure get the move as well.

I don't get why you are adamantly arguing against having a physical Ghost/Fire in favor of having two special ones.
I know it's not directed at me but it is only speculation lol we might not have the same perspective but debating the competitive potential of pokemon has become something i like doing :lol:. with the given 30% boost the special attack would be higher but only by 141 points to Chandelure (providing that there's a special attack bone) It would still work with a special Marowak but seeing as we already have Chandelure who has better defenses, speed, and higher unboosted sp attack it would be the deciding factor on who's better since chandelure still has the potential to hold an item like a scarf or a life orb..

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
My bad. I didn't realize it was a mutual debate....I'll shut up now. :urg:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If it helps, Pidgeot is not a special attacker, and yet its mega evolution is. Similarly, Deino and Zweilous excel better with physical attacks than with special attacks (and that excludes the Hustle ability's attack stat boost), and yet Hydreigon has a stronger special attack than attack.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I would comment on the leak, but if it's fake, I'll withhold. Some neat ideas there though.

Also our next news news should be in 5 days at world's/gamescom.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
My bad. I didn't realize it was a mutual debate....I'll shut up now. :urg:
I am wanting Alolan Marowak to be physical though since we have chandelure and Marowak would provide more to the meta if it was physical. But the stat distribution for Alolan Marowak that M&SG provided can technically go either way with physical or special despite the 10 base attack decrease which wouldn't matter as much with a thick club. Assuming of course GF provides a sp attack boosting bone and a boost to its 50 base sp attack it could get some usage out for special attacks but it's not specifically a sp attack spread the move however would be but if it doesn't get a good physical ghost move then it's going to be more limited by movepool..

I technically missed getting into the competitive speculation discussion for G6 so I'm going to fix that by thinking about the potential of G7 Pokemon :lol: the only things I accurately (and the only things I did predict) predicted was the rise of Talonflame when the HA was revealed and Contrary Serperior when it was revealed to be releasing soon..
If it helps, Pidgeot is not a special attacker, and yet its mega evolution is. Similarly, Deino and Zweilous excel better with physical attacks than with special attacks (and that excludes the Hustle ability's attack stat boost), and yet Hydreigon has a stronger special attack than attack.
But we don't know how different Alolan forms come into play with stat distribution which makes them fun to speculate with along with the new Pokemon :lol: the questions being will their new forms Translate into different stat distribution or not with some Pokemon leaning towards a few changes like Alo-Exeggutor, while others looking like they'll receive no change at all like Ninetales..

There's one thing that does come to mind about potential for the Alolan forms.. would the two forms be able to give each other "unique" egg moves that they can only give that the other can't normally get? Like Grass/psychic Exeggutor being able to get a dragon move from the alternate form..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well that settles that the rumour is dead. I look forward to finding out what Rockruff's secret evolution is and hopefully some news at Gamescon.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
New information about the hyper training was shown
Serebii said:
Earlier this week, the Youtube Channel for the Japanese magazine, V-Jump, put up a video detailing IVs in Pokémon. In this video it gave a bit of clarification into the process. In the video, it showed three different Garchomp with different IV spreads and each of them used a Silver Bottle Cap at Hyper Training. This allowed for one stat to be increased, in this case the Attack was increased on all three Garchomp. This means that you'll be able to use the Silver Bottle Cap in exchange to increase one stat only. It was also mentioned that there may be a Gold Bottle Cap, and questioned if it will be used to increase multiple stats to their maximum. It is still not known how the Bottle Caps can be obtained and if there's a limit to the amount you can find. We'll bring more on Hyper Training and Sun & Moon as it comes
I'm hoping there isn't a limit to how many caps you can find because it would be very inconvenient if it was set to a limit..

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
New information about the hyper training was shown

I'm hoping there isn't a limit to how many caps you can find because it would be very inconvenient if it was set to a limit..
I can't see them limiting it, but who knows. What pokemon are they using? Is that ghost and electric or dragon and electric? If dragon then that's a new pokemon we don't know about.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I can't see them limiting it, but who knows. What pokemon are they using? Is that ghost and electric or dragon and electric? If dragon then that's a new pokemon we don't know about.
Serebii said that it was three different Garchomp in the description they gave so there isn't anything new we can learn from that lol

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Serebii said that it was three different Garchomp in the description they gave so there isn't anything new we can learn from that lol
Ah I see lol.

And 4 days till the gamescom announcement. I'm banking on it being the cat with different types through breeding.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Ah I see lol.

And 4 days till the gamescom announcement. I'm banking on it being the cat with different types through breeding.
If it is then hopefully it will have a unique move that changes type depending on its secondary type. If it doesn't then there will be quite a lot of restriction on the type it will have competitively if it doesn't have a diverse movepool or one based on its second typing movepool if it has one for each type.. also we should hope it isn't in one egg group only (namely field which is what all the cat Pokemon are in and they don't have another egg group) since it wouldn't get ghost if Mimikyu isn't apart of the field group as well..

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
If it is then hopefully it will have a unique move that changes type depending on its secondary type. If it doesn't then there will be quite a lot of restriction on the type it will have competitively if it doesn't have a diverse movepool or one based on its second typing movepool if it has one for each type.. also we should hope it isn't in one egg group only (namely field which is what all the cat Pokemon are in and they don't have another egg group) since it wouldn't get ghost if Mimikyu isn't apart of the field group as well..
A unique move in the vein of wheater ball could be likely. it be a good way of doing the multiple type idea. I also think it's movepool will probably change or at the very least, since it's normal, you'd be able to change your type to get a better advantage, and then have a huge movepool to cover your weaknesses.

I hope we see it soon to get a grasp on how it actually works better.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Who else thinks Bounsweet and Fomantis will be version exclusives? And Bounsweet will get an evo to counter Lurantis.
I could see it. It's weird we don't have any known exclusives though. I wonder if they will only be limited to legends this time?

And if they are exclusives, would bounsweet's evo be the second totem in one version?

Version exclusive fights would be a surprising addition.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I could see it. It's weird we don't have any known exclusives though. I wonder if they will only be limited to legends this time?

And if they are exclusives, would bounsweet's evo be the second totem in one version?

Version exclusive fights would be a surprising addition.
Odds are, you can't catch the Totem Pokemon at all.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dang it, if Lurantis is exclusive i'm going to be forced into a version

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
New information about the upcoming Gamescon announcement has been revealed.

Serebii said:
It has been confirmed that Shigeki Morimoto is going to show some live Pokémon Sun & Moon gameplay footage at Gamescom in Cologne on Thursday. This footage will be streamed through Nintendo Germany's Twitch channel from 17:00 CEST, which is 16:00 BST, 11:00 EDT and 08:00 PDT. It's not currently known what will be shown in this but we'll report on any new information as it comes
Seems like we could potentially get a little more than just a single announcement. I wonder what could be revealed.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
If Nintendo themselves are streaming it, it might be an important amount of news that they want fans and potential buyers to know.

I wonder what it could be. at the very least I think we'll get at least 1 Alola form and new pokemon. As for potential news:

1) Find out the status of Ash greninja and find out if this form change can occur in game.
2) Starter evolutions? Don't know if likely, but they could show up now. Though I think we shall see them next month.
3) Something that impacts the story. Don't know if this will happen, but I'm talking about things like the trials or evil team, perhaps there's another addition they have to show off.

It won't be long till we see what it is!

And is that 11am or 11pm EDT?

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Looking at the past Gamescom events:
-XY: A Demo, it didn't reveal anything new, but it expanded on the mechanics of the new features like Megas and the movesets of certain Pokémon like Fennekin (who learned Psybeam, which hinted at it being Fire/Psychic).
-ORAS: Gave us Mega Audino.

This time, we aren't getting a demo, but rather a live stream of gameplay, so I think it'll be a mixture of both in that we'll get expanded information on certain features and Pokémon (hopefully those that can either support or refute the rumors going around) along with something new. My best bet would be another Alola form since that's the new feature they're pushing at the moment like how Megas were the big feature during ORAS, but it could be something else to catch interest.

And is that 11am or 11pm EDT?
11 am.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I might just be crazy if I said this, but part of me still thinks that Litten will evolve into a Fire/Dark-type, while Popplio will evolve into a Water/Psychic-type.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
On one hand, I'm enjoying the relatively high number of electric types revealed so far.

On the other, I'm really wishing they'd go for some of Electric's unused type combinations. Electric/Fighting is long overdue (RIP Electivire) and you could do absolutely wonderful things with a well designed Electric/Poison type.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
On one hand, I'm enjoying the relatively high number of electric types revealed so far.

On the other, I'm really wishing they'd go for some of Electric's unused type combinations. Electric/Fighting is long overdue (RIP Electivire) and you could do absolutely wonderful things with a well designed Electric/Poison type.
Or electric/grass, fire, ice would be nice since we only have Rotom for those types
I wouldn't mind an Electric/dark type as well since we still don't have one
I'm hoping we get more information on the starter Pokemon and some underused G1 Pokemon getting new forms like Fearow and Dodrio that can make them more usable..

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Or electric/grass, fire, ice would be nice since we only have Rotom for those types
I wouldn't mind an Electric/dark type as well since we still don't have one
I'm hoping we get more information on the starter Pokemon and some underused G1 Pokemon getting new forms like Fearow and Dodrio that can make them more usable..
All of the Electric! Such a good type, easily my favourite.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I kind of wish that Luxray received a mega evolution. It would've been a good opportunity to utilize the Electric/Dark-type combination, but the only problem is that it can't learn Taunt, Torment, Payback, or Dark Pulse. Oddly, it can learn Snarl, while Night Slash is one of its egg moves.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I kind of wish that Luxray received a mega evolution. It would've been a good opportunity to utilize the Electric/Dark-type combination, but the only problem is that it can't learn Taunt, Torment, Payback, or Dark Pulse. Oddly, it can learn Snarl, while Night Slash is one of its egg moves.
It could have gained them like how some of the other mega Pokemon gained certain moves that help them better with their mega forms..

D

Deleted member

Most of the moves you mentioned aren't that good anyway
I think Crunch is good enough for Luxray, especially if it gets strong jaw as its ability

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
It isn't a guarantee that Pokémon that gain typing upon Mega Evolutions will have their movepools adequately expanded for it. Along with the aforementioned Gyarados, Audino only got Disarming Voice out of the deal when it gained Fairy typing from its Mega Evolution in ORAS, which doesn't help it at all. Even its Egg Movepool was barren as it only got Draining Kiss as an attacking move, and good luck running that off of a base 60 Atk stat.

For Luxray, to play Devil's Advocate, it'll want things like Pursuit and Sucker Punch as those STAB moves are very useful to have in your repertoire and give you something to stand out more from those in weaker tiers. It's especially the case if they don't fix Luxray's middling speed as it'll want something to bypass that drawback, and having something to mitigate that issue is always a plus to have. Dark Pulse and Taunt are also decent options to gain as the former can be nice to have for mixed coverage (especially if its physical movepool remains crappy) and the latter can be useful for utility depending on its stats.

Other then that, regardless of typing, giving it other strong physical options would always be nice for coverage. If it's going to have a nice Atk stat, at the very least give it more to play around with.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Most of the moves you mentioned aren't that good anyway
I think Crunch is good enough for Luxray, especially if it gets strong jaw as its ability
I would prefer Mold Breaker for Mega Luxray.

As for your statement about most of the Dark-type moves being bad, Payback is actually a good attack if you're attacking after your target, while Snarl can mess up the special sweepers with the added special attack drop secondary effect. Torment is a situational move though, but it could help stop an opponent from using certain moves consecutively. Taunt prevents status move usage, so it's far from useless.

Anyway, a good amount of Dark-type Pokemon can get Taunt, Torment, Payback, and Dark Pulse, including the ones who mega evolve into part Dark-type Pokemon. As such, it would be odd for Luxray to not have access to either of those moves, and yet its mega evolution is part Dark-type.

To finish up, I kind of see Mega Luxray having the following...

Mega Luxray
Type: Electric/Dark
Ability: Mold Breaker
HP: 80
Attack: 150 (+30)
Defense: 89 (+10)
SP ATK: 105 (+10)
SP DEF: 89 (+10)
Speed: 110 (+40)
Total: 623 (+100)

D

Deleted member

I would prefer Mold Breaker for Mega Luxray.

As for your statement about most of the Dark-type moves being bad, Payback is actually a good attack if you're attacking after your target, while Snarl can mess up the special sweepers with the added special attack drop secondary effect. Torment is a situational move though, but it could help stop an opponent from using certain moves consecutively. Taunt prevents status move usage, so it's far from useless.

I never said they were bad, I just said Crunch was better.
Also, if Luxray gets a boost to its speed stat, there is absolutely no point to give it Payback, considering it can outspeed alot of other Pokemon.

Anyway, a good amount of Dark-type Pokemon can get Taunt, Torment, Payback, and Dark Pulse, including the ones who mega evolve into part Dark-type Pokemon. As such, it would be odd for Luxray to not have access to either of those moves, and yet its mega evolution is part Dark-type.
You're saying this as if this Mega is already a thing lol.

To finish up, I kind of see Mega Luxray having the following...

Mega Luxray
Ability: Mold Breaker
Attack: 150 (+30)
SP ATK: 105 (+10)
SP DEF: 89 (+10)
Total: 623 (+100)
I prefer this...

Mega Luxray
Abillity: Strong Jaw
Attack: 160 (+40)
Special Attack: 95
Special Defense: 89 (+10)
There's absolutely no point to make it a mixed attacker imo. It's good enough as a physical attacker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
It isn't a guarantee that Pokémon that gain typing upon Mega Evolutions will have their movepools adequately expanded for it. Along with the aforementioned Gyarados, Audino only got Disarming Voice out of the deal when it gained Fairy typing from its Mega Evolution in ORAS, which doesn't help it at all. Even its Egg Movepool was barren as it only got Draining Kiss as an attacking move, and good luck running that off of a base 60 Atk stat.

For Luxray, to play Devil's Advocate, it'll want things like Pursuit and Sucker Punch as those STAB moves are very useful to have in your repertoire and give you something to stand out more from those in weaker tiers. It's especially the case if they don't fix Luxray's middling speed as it'll want something to bypass that drawback, and having something to mitigate that issue is always a plus to have. Dark Pulse and Taunt are also decent options to gain as the former can be nice to have for mixed coverage (especially if its physical movepool remains crappy) and the latter can be useful for utility depending on its stats.

Other then that, regardless of typing, giving it other strong physical options would always be nice for coverage. If it's going to have a nice Atk stat, at the very least give it more to play around with.
Draining kiss is special and M-audino has 80 base power for special attack and I have a mega a mega audino functioning off of it with Calm mind boosts and baby-doll eyes lol
Audino @ audinite
Ability Healer
Evs 252 HP / 128 Def / 130 sp Def
Bold nature
- Draining Kiss
- Baby-doll eyes
- Calm mind
- Heal bell
M-luxray could have gained more defense (if it had gotten a mega) since the normal forms have intimidate

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I never said they were bad, I just said Crunch was better.
Also, if Luxray gets a boost to its speed stat, there is absolutely no point to give it Payback, considering it can outspeed alot of other Pokemon.
Even with 110 speed though, you could still get outsped by faster threats. And if Trick Room is active, faster Pokemon can take advantage of Payback.

On one final note, if your opponent uses any increased priority moves, then Payback's power will be doubled, since it's striking after the target made its move.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Snarl is actually one of my favorite moves, it's quite useful.

I run it on my Mega Manectric along with several electric moves. Although I might give it overheat.

And I would love a dark electric mega luxray. I think we'll learn the status of megas soon. I'm not to positive that we will be getting new ones though.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Even if no new mega evolutions are made, it will still be very criminal to not bring back the mechanic. It'll just be awkward if the 6th generation's mega evolution mechanic ends up getting the boot, all because the 7th generation is focusing on making Alola region variants of the 1st generation Pokemon. After all, Rayquaza can mega evolve if it knows Dragon Ascent.

Last edited:
Even if no new mega evolutions are made, it will still be very criminal to not bring back the mechanic. It'll just be awkward if the 6th generation's mega evolution mechanic ends up getting the boot, all because the 7th generation is focusing on making Alola region variants of the 1st generation Pokemon. After all, Rayquaza can mega evolve if it knows Dragon Ascent.
Yeah, it would be a stupid decision to leave them out. They must've put a lot of work on them, it wouldn't make any sense to throw all that work away after couple of games.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I still think they will be in the game, just without new ones most likely. Or if there are, then it's very little.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah, it would be a stupid decision to leave them out. They must've put a lot of work on them, it wouldn't make any sense to throw all that work away after couple of games.
Yeah it would make Dragon Ascent's purpose feel wasted. Sure, Rayquaza can use that attack without mega evolving, but I really doubt that anyone who teaches Rayquaza Dragon Ascent will NOT mega evolve it.

On a different subject, Hyperspace Fury should probably be fixed up so that it CAN'T be Sketched; Smeargle can't use that attack at all. If only Hoopa Unbound can use that attack, then why make it Sketchable? At least Chatter is set up so that only Chatot can learn and use it; it can't be Sketched.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Waiting for Serebii or something to give the supposed reveals like
And still waiting..
I stopped watching Twitch because of Data usage.. has anything new be revealed yet?

Last edited:
Top Bottom