• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon Released! Discuss here!

Are you excited?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
A new Pokémon was shown off, it's a Fire/Dragon tortoise. It seems to have a new move or ability (couldn't tell which due to my stream) that allows it to retaliate automatically to attacking moves (likely contact ones only).

Edit:

It's a new move called Shell Trap.

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
So it's most likely going to be a defensive Pokemon judging by the looks of it.. the only question is what about HP, and sp defense since its probably going to be well below average speed it looks like its going to be getting Spiky Shield.. if it doesn't I would be surprised lol

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Pretty cool pokemon. The new move sounds nice and the typing and design is pretty good.

I'd also say this confirms another pokemon, as I find it unlikely this is a basic stage pokemon. Probably a 1 stage mon.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Arnie jokes aside, Turtonator is pretty disappointing. How do we get 7 generations in and not have a non-mega, non-legendary Fire/Dragon type modelled after your standard European dragon? It effectively writes itself and yet we end up with this awful looking mess. It looks like Bowser and Birdo got freaky and this is their lovechild.

Last edited:
Arnie jokes aside, Turtonator is pretty disappointing. How do we get 7 generations in and not have a non-mega, non-legendary Fire/Dragon type modelled after your standard European dragon? It effectively writes itself and yet we end up with this awful looking mess. It looks like Bowser and Birdo got freaky and this is their lovechild.
Well, at least it somewhat looks like a dragon. Unlike Alolan Exeggutor.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Well, at least it somewhat looks like a dragon. Unlike Alolan Exeggutor.
Alolan Exeggutor has the advantage of being ridiculous to the point of being funny. Turtonator doesn't look ridiculous, just bad.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So it's most likely going to be a defensive Pokemon judging by the looks of it.. the only question is what about HP, and sp defense since its probably going to be well below average speed it looks like its going to be getting Spiky Shield.. if it doesn't I would be surprised lol
It'll be odd to see Spiky Shield on a Pokemon who is not part Grass-type. Of course, most Pokemon who learn Cotton Guard are not part Grass-type.

D

Deleted member

I really love the design of this Pokemon! It seems this Pokemon is meant to be a wall. It's pretty slow, but can tank hits easily.

If it's not a Legendary Pokemon, I'll use it on my team. (I don't like using Legendaries, regardless of how good or bad they are)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I really love the design of this Pokemon! It seems this Pokemon is meant to be a wall. It's pretty slow, but can tank hits easily.

If it's not a Legendary Pokemon, I'll use it on my team. (I don't like using Legendaries, regardless of how good or bad they are)
I can pretty much say that Turtonator is NOT a legendary Pokemon.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Arnold's not a legendary.

Those don't get revealed before release minus the mascots and now story based legends. (The guardians who are a story exception. same as zygarde. They want to advertise that the game has an actual plot it seems)

It got it's own trailer for 2 reasons:

1)It's a smaller video game event. These are nice times to showcase a small tease of what to expect for the games without going all out. Fans don't need it at those events because there's monthly news, but they are nice bonuses.

2) It's unique. Like salandit it has a special trait, being his counter esque move. The trailer shows players a new way to play, which gets excitement. It might also be a developer liked design or thought to be a line that fans will love.

Anyway, worlds is going on in the next few days and Masuda attends each year. I suspect he will bring another trailer that focuses on one big thing. Like the Zygarde trailer at the other tournament a few months back. If I had to guess, we will probably see the breeding cat like the Chinese leaks discuss. That's trailer worthy for an event like this imo.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Someone on Serebii mentioned that Turtonator is reminiscent of something in one of the rumors

"Turtonator certainly is an interesting specimen; however, upon observing it's unique stance (shielding it's vulnerability by turning to expose it's dangerous carapace, maintaining a watchful eye all the while), it seems to be reminiscent of a rumored evolution earlier attributed to Salandit. If I remember correctly, it was described as "a velociraptor who has it's back turned to it's opponent, while looking over it's shoulder"; how very ironic that this fiery turtle actually incorporated this coincidental detail from said rumor."

Can anyone verify if that's true? I do vaguely remember this "Velociraptor" being mentioned

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Someone on Serebii mentioned that Turtonator is reminiscent of something in one of the rumors

"Turtonator certainly is an interesting specimen; however, upon observing it's unique stance (shielding it's vulnerability by turning to expose it's dangerous carapace, maintaining a watchful eye all the while), it seems to be reminiscent of a rumored evolution earlier attributed to Salandit. If I remember correctly, it was described as "a velociraptor who has it's back turned to it's opponent, while looking over it's shoulder"; how very ironic that this fiery turtle actually incorporated this coincidental detail from said rumor."

Can anyone verify if that's true? I do vaguely remember this "Velociraptor" being mentioned
I don't have any screenshots of this on my computer, so I might have missed this thread or it didn't exist. Closest I have is a "leak" with a terraspin pokemon and other inspirations for new pokemon. It lists the line as Dragon only though.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I'm happy they added a potentially usable defensive fire type.

Torkoal did well for my fire mono team but he just wasn't cutting it himself. Give the ugly spiked magmar rapid spin and I'll use him.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I'm happy they added a potentially usable defensive fire type.

Torkoal did well for my fire mono team but he just wasn't cutting it himself. Give the ugly spiked magmar rapid spin and I'll use him.
I'd say you've got a pretty good chance of that happening.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
There has been a few turtle Pokemon that haven't gotten Rapid spin namely Carracosta and it's Pre evolution (why don't they get this move they're turtles?) so it's not 100% guaranteed for it to get it.. but the other turtle/tortoise Pokemon get it so there's still a good chance..

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I think rapid spin is likely but you never know. It's weird that they never gave it to Tirtouga's line though.

It be good to have adjustment movepools in Sun and Moon. They have slowly done this with breeding in gen 6, so maybe they'll continue the trend.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I know that Rapid Spin is designed to remove entry hazards, but sometimes you have to wonder if it's even worth wasting a move slot on. It's too weak to use offensively, and you can't always be concerned about entry hazards, especially if they're the least of your troubles during a match.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Carracosta was seen in the trailer

I wonder if the supposed extinct pokemon is native to Alola to represent Leatherbacks

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Carracosta was seen in the trailer

I wonder if the supposed extinct pokemon is native to Alola to represent Leatherbacks
That be pretty cool, we haven't had any fossils in the wild, even though it makes sense.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Just a reminder to those who say Tirtouga's line is the only turtle line without Rapid Spin: Turtwig's line exists.
Rapid Spin really needs a buff though. I think bare minimum it's Base Power should at least be 50 or something. 20's too weak, even for a utility move.

:094:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Just a reminder to those who say Tirtouga's line is the only turtle line without Rapid Spin: Turtwig's line exists.
Rapid Spin really needs a buff though. I think bare minimum it's Base Power should at least be 50 or something. 20's too weak, even for a utility move.

Rapid Spin was probably made as weak as it is to avoid Technician abuse. Of course, even if Rapid Spin's base power was set to 60, it would still deal less damage than Return, even with the Technician boost.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Do you think this guy's going to get Shell Smash?

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Rapid Spin was probably made as weak as it is to avoid Technician abuse. Of course, even if Rapid Spin's base power was set to 60, it would still deal less damage than Return, even with the Technician boost.
There are no Technician Pokemon with Rapid spin not counting Smeargle. Rapid Spin was also introduced Gen 2 and never received a base power upgrade or downgrade when Technician was released in Gen 4 so that is probably unlikely..
Oh wait forgot top but still has no stab and 95 base attack

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Just want to remind everyone here that tomorrow is the start of the Pokemon World Championships, and the opening ceremony will be streamed at 9:00 A.M. California Time. The opening ceremony is usually where newest information about upcoming games are announced, and we could be in for even more Sun and Moon information tomorrow.

D

Deleted member

Turtonator huh? Defensive special defensive tank seems to be it's specialty. Cool Pokemon all the same.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I know that Rapid Spin is designed to remove entry hazards, but sometimes you have to wonder if it's even worth wasting a move slot on. It's too weak to use offensively, and you can't always be concerned about entry hazards, especially if they're the least of your troubles during a match.
It depends on the format. VGC format? Im inclined to agree that entry hazard control (and entry hazards themselves) are a waste of time. Singles battles however I strongly disagree. If Stealth Rock did not exist I might agree with you but when any Pokemon weak to Rock loses 1/4 of their HP (1/2 if doubly weak!) then Rapid Spin is always worth considering, and any competitive team worth its salt that's not Hyper offensive will have some form of hazard removal or mitigation.

Defog gives it a lot of competition now with arguably better distribution but I'm still a big fan of Rapid Spin for not removing your own entry hazards in the process.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
The live stream for the Pokemon World Championships has just started. The opening ceremony starts in 3 minutes, and I'm going to be watching it live. For those that want to see it for potential new information regarding Sun and Moon, here's the link:

http://www.pokemonchampionships.com

UPDATE: The opening ceremony has just started!

UPDATE #2: Junichi Masuda has appeared during the event and revealed a new Sun and Moon Pokemon. Say hello to Crabrawler!

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
we have Crabrawler a fighting type Crab with Hyper cutter and i forgot the other ability It has access to Close combat, Crab Hammer, Stone Edge, and something else i didn't recognize..
edit Iron Fist is the ability
Sandyghost and it's evolved form Polosand with Water compaction ability increases Defense when hit by a water type
and Stufful the Pre-evolution of Bewear

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Crabs that aren't water type smh.. oh well lol I'm expecting it to be slow and rather frail.. kinda like Rampardos is :lol: hopefully it won't though but it's probably going to push Rampardos down because of the low accuracy moves it has compared to Crabrawler

Water compression though.. I'm a bit sceptical if this is actually going to hold up against a water type attack in the Competitive scene with it's ground typing.. most likely going to get Storm Drain or Water absorb with it's hidden ability

the thumbnail in that video looks like Stufful can fit that "Does this look like the face of Mercy" Meme lol

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I would've preferred if Crabrawler was a Water/ Fighting type, but I guess pure Fighting's fine too. I might use it on my team, but I doubt I will for very long.
Sandygast(ly) and Palossand never had had my intrerest before, but lately they've been growing on me, but that ability brought my interest up greatly. I still have no plans on using it though. I have another Ghost type in mind.
Stufful... Meh. Just meh. Looks better than its evolution but that's not saying much.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Do you think this guy's going to get Shell Smash?
I'd say that's likely
The live stream for the Pokemon World Championships has just started. The opening ceremony starts in 3 minutes, and I'm going to be watching it live. For those that want to see it for potential new information regarding Sun and Moon, here's the link:

http://www.pokemonchampionships.com

UPDATE: The opening ceremony has just started!

UPDATE #2: Junichi Masuda has appeared during the event and revealed a new Sun and Moon Pokemon. Say hello to Crabrawler!

Nice, looks like a pretty cool pokemon Has a strong arsenal of moves. Iron fist will be great. Good to see the other coro coro mons in action as well. Water compression good be good if you have your sandcastle trained in defense and special defense. We'll see how effective that is though.

Crabs that aren't water type smh.. oh well lol I'm expecting it to be slow and rather frail.. kinda like Rampardos is :lol: hopefully it won't though but it's probably going to push Rampardos down because of the low accuracy moves it has compared to Crabrawler

Water compression though.. I'm a bit sceptical if this is actually going to hold up against a water type attack in the Competitive scene with it's ground typing.. most likely going to get Storm Drain or Water absorb with it's hidden ability

the thumbnail in that video looks like Stufful can fit that "Does this look like the face of Mercy" Meme lol
Slow and frail? I believe it will be fast and frail like some fighting types. Can't take a super effective hit like lucario, but can deal them pretty powerfully.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I kinda like Crabrawler. Hopefully it has an evo that gives it a secondary typing, and it would be nice to see Crabhammer added to the list of moves affected by Iron Fist.

The Water Compaction ability had massive potential as a variant of Storm Drain that increased defense instead of Special Attack. However the fact that you still take damage from the (mostly special anyway) Water type moves makes this useless in practice.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
we have Crabrawler a fighting type Crab with Hyper cutter and i forgot the other ability It has access to Close combat, Crab Hammer, Stone Edge, and something else i didn't recognize..
edit Iron Fist is the ability
Sandyghost and it's evolved form Polosand with Water compaction ability increases Defense when hit by a water type
and Stufful the Pre-evolution of Bewear
I was re-watching the worlds footage, and Crabrawler used a total of six moves. The first move it used definitely looked like Dynamic Punch. The fourth move shown was either Focus Punch or Mach Punch. I don't know what the fifth move was (the one that Cresselia was hit by).

Junichi Masuda also provided some added information about Crabrawler during the event:
  • He chose to reveal the Pokemon for the World Championships because San Francisco is known for its crabs, and he even took a picture with the famous crab statue at Fisherman's Worth before the event
  • Crawbrawler is described to be "a very competitive Pokemon that just hates to lose... It uses it's tough claws to battle, and it's said that its mighty punches are powerful enough to split apart trees."
  • Junichi Masuda called the Pokemon "very strong."
Here's the picture of Masuda with the crab statue:

Now for something very interesting:

When Junichi Masuda revealed Mega Kangaskhan in Worlds 2013 for X/Y and then Mega Slowbro in Worlds 2014 for OR/AS, he mentioned that both Pokemon very strong; he also thought both Pokemon would be heavily used by many VG Pokemon players. Look at what eventually happened when those games were released. Mega Kangaskhan became a force to be reckoned in both the Smogon and VGC metagames, while Mega Slowbro became a defining part of the OU metagame.

Considering that Masuda revealed Crabrawler to be "very strong" and promised that VG players would use it, I have a feeling this could hint that Crabrawler will actually be a great Pokemon for competitive play.

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I kinda like Crabrawler. Hopefully it has an evo that gives it a secondary typing, and it would be nice to see Crabhammer added to the list of moves affected by Iron Fist.

The Water Compaction ability had massive potential as a variant of Storm Drain that increased defense instead of Special Attack. However the fact that you still take damage from the (mostly special anyway) Water type moves makes this useless in practice.
The only way Water compaction seems to be useful is in doubles and triples with water Shuriken on Accelgor since there is no stab and Accelgor has bad attack..you're guaranteed to get a +4 Def on the first turn since it raises Def by 2. that's if it's like Justified and activates with each hit..

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
The only way Water compaction seems to be useful is in doubles and triples with water Shuriken on Accelgor since there is no stab and Accelgor has bad attack..you're guaranteed to get a +4 Def on the first turn since it raises Def by 2. that's if it's like Justified and activates with each hit..
It's a shame really, because had it provided the water immunity it wouldve been incredibly useful.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
To balance water compression, do this:

give sandcastle leftovers and protect. Use it in doubles with a pokemon with any water move. Hit it the first turn with a water move, and have it focus on one of the opposing mons. I'd be willing to bet it gets will o wisp. This way he will shut out physical attackers. More then likely only one of the two opposing mons will focus on him. The other on your water move user.

Next turn use protect and have the other mon take out one of the opposing pokemon or try. Next turn, if your 2nd pokemon is alive, go for earthquake. You can take out at least 1 opposing pokemon and get hp back from leftovers. Then protect next turn, have your next mon stall.

What I'm going to do is use it with dragonite as the second pokemon. This way you can alternate earthquakes and have two pokemon with diverse movesets out.

Of course I'm just making something up off the top of my head, but I could see this work 50/50. We'll need to know stats and see what it gains, but it could probably work like the based god pachirusu did back a world's last year.

Top Bottom