• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Researcher Reformation and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Are you sure?
Well the only bit of UU that most of us have probably seen from him was in the BotW match. And I'm thinking that PR is probably questioning his knowledge of UU based on the fact that he started the match with Zook by using Pursuit against an Armaldo, when his Ambipom knew both Fake Out AND Taunt; both of which were much more optimal choices when considering how little the damage was that Pursuit would have done to Armaldo even if he had switched out. Thus, you have to question someone's knowledge of UU when they don't even make optimal lead choices with a lead that they've probably used numerous times before.

But that's just my assumption.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Yes, but Armaldo is NU, and I highly doubt Tey has fought any
on the ladder

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Real good spoiler tags...
lol, that was the first time I tried posting from my phone.
Uhhhh...Armaldo's a physical tank? You can look at him and figure that out.

Thus, the point would still stand.
Tery probably wouldn't know anything about Armaldo without looking it up on Smogon.

And I'm guessing the majority of other people are the same.

A_man13

Smash Master
I know enough about Armaldo to get me by. Bug/rock, ofensive oriented, expect X-scissor, taunt, knock-off.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Armaldo:

75HP
125Atk
100Def
45Spe

Type: Rock/Bug

Common Movesets:

Rock Polish
Swords Dance
Choice Band
SR Support

Hey look, I did that without even looking >_>

It's not difficult to know what most pokemon will do.

Edit: What I said has nothing to do with Tery's lead btw.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Im not ripping on tery for one battle.

In fact, to be fair, I dont believe the Pokemon Researcher user group should even exist. Out of everyone in the PC there are only an extreme few who could rightfully earn it(and most of them dont even post regularly anyways)

Mow gave it to everyone cus he liked to abuse his power and do whatever the **** he wants. No one here actually deserves it.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
So I figure that since a lot of people will be losing the title, I'll probably end up losing mine as well?

Just wondering as someone could say that I haven't contributed much to competitive battling.

Just so you know, I would start contributing more if the place gets more active...

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I didn't say I wanted him to lose it. I just took a guess as to why PR said he should lose it, by giving the best example I could think of as to why.

And considering how long he had to choose his first move, something makes me doubt a misclick scenario. Just sayin'. It COULD have happened, but I doubt it.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Im not ripping on tery for one battle.

In fact, to be fair, I dont believe the Pokemon Researcher user group should even exist. Out of everyone in the PC there are only an extreme few who could rightfully earn it(and most of them dont even post regularly anyways)

Mow gave it to everyone cus he liked to abuse his power and do whatever the **** he wants. No one here actually deserves it.
It's pretty obvious that we should then loosen the requirements for Researcherness.

A_man13

Smash Master
I dunno. I'll stand by my "I don't deserve this." All I ever did was create creative ways of loosing. Creative, sure, but more the second part. I know I was invited to be part of the group, but I never was the best battler nor am I knowledgeable about the game. Only time I have ever thought that that was when I was Wifi-ing with serebii people who though that Sky attack fearow is worthy of a competitive team and that IV and hidden power breeding were crazy things to do.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Guys, relax. If I should lose the title, so be it. No complaining from you guys. As I've said before although I play exclusively UU I can't battle to save a Pidgey and my prediction is worth Muk. I may know decent portions of the metagame but that doesn't mean I should become a Researcher. Honestly I only did so because Umbreon asked me to, so at the time I felt as it was the right thing to do, which looking know was something I should've avoided.

On a less serious note I seriously still don't know what Armaldo does though.

-Terywj

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I think PR is mixing up "Pokemon Researcher" with "Person that commonly gets to #10 or higher on Shoddy Battle Ladders"

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
His point was not that "Tery sucks at battling" (which I do) but that I do not possess enough thorough knowledge of the UU Metagame to qualify as a Researcher. And since I had no idea what Armaldo does, he has a legitimate point.

-Terywj

Mewter

Smash Master
Originally posted by OP

Now, first of all, we would need to get rid of any researcher that does not go to the forums, or does not contribute to the community in way to demonstrate extensive Pokemon knowledge. Next, we modify the Pokemon Research Sub-Forum for the time being be modified to serve two roles:
That sounds like a good idea, eliminating everyone who doesn't know the game inside out. ;)
SARCASM IF YOU COULDN'T TELL.

I think at least knowing the game's basic mechanics (IV's, EV's), knowing how to build a team, and keeping up to date with the Pokemon games is enough. That should probably be the basis of the qualifications.

Here's a graph of what I think the expectations should be if the group stays around. I thought it would be better to put it in a visual form:

You can use the same graph and edit it to your liking, since that will probably make it easier.

Edit:pink Reaper has a point there.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
There's no need for a secondary group for that kind of thing though. The PC isnt a large enough group that it needs an extra room to discuss competitive play.
You only miss something when its not there.

Its something we all learn the hard way.

Also, Mewter, this is competative Pokemon we're talking about here. I'm seeing that the In-game bar has no reason to be higer than Battling/Metagame bar. :3

I'm also thinking that my definition of what "extensive knowledge" would be is looser than everyone elses by a fairly large margin.

Someone give me a good word that "tighter" than average but "looser" than extensive so I can accurately portray my feelings.

Mewter

Smash Master
Adequate?

Anyone who meets the first Battling bar should be able to easily pick up the meta-game anyways, so the second Battling bar doesn't need to be too high.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
You theorymon like a boss, and as far as I know you battle like a boss, so I think you have the qualified knowledge for being a Researcher.

-Terywj

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Firus should probably lose his to as to my knowledge he's never really been intimate with competitive smash.
Wait, what does competitive Smash have to do with anything...?

If you meant to say Pokémon, I'm quite well-versed in the aspects of competitive Pokémon and I've dabbled in it a few times, including that mono-type tourney of yours in which I placed fourth.

I'd also like to point out again that the owner of the researcher group, Spire, doesn't even know all that much about competitive Pokémon, so holding everyone to a strict standard requiring them to be essentially the Pokémon equivalent of a Smash BRoomer doesn't make much sense.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Well if you must bring Spire into this he only obtained leadership over the Researchers through Umbreon's leave, so he was given the head as he is the SMod of the PokeCenter.

Besides who else should've gotten it?

-Terywj

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Nah man, you dont know anything about smash, you dont belong back here.

I've dabbled in competitive Halo but I doubt that makes me qualified to talk about the competitive metagame for it.

And if you're not going to hold what would essentially be the Pokemon Backroom to high/strict standards then there's no point in doing it at all(Side Note: I feel there is no point in having the pokemon researcher position at all)

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Well if you must bring Spire into this he only obtained leadership over the Researchers through Umbreon's leave, so he was given the head as he is the SMod of the PokeCenter.

Besides who else should've gotten it?

-Terywj
My argument is that the Researcher guidelines shouldn't be so strict, not that Spire should lose leadership of it. I am 100% supportive of Spire's leadership of the group.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
As am I, but I was just mentioning that since it was mentioned how Spire doesn't know much about competitive Pokemon but is the leader of the PokeCenter / Researchers.

I believe contribution to the PokeCenter+knowledge should play an effect in "admissions."

-Terywj

Mewter

Smash Master
You know what? I agree with Pink Reaper.

Let's forget about the Pokemon Researcher group.
There's no point in it.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I'll be quite honest, I just want the color. Because I <3 this color brown for some reason. I say **** it to all the rest though I guess.

Although if it's getting shut down then I at least hope to see some competitive discussion threads posted in the main forum so we can talk about new things that are appearing or whatever. That's basically the only other reason why I'd want this group to stay open.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
How did all this Researcher business start anyway? I'm assuming it must've been somewhere from mid-2008 when the RTP Threads were getting popular?

-Terywj

Mewter

Smash Master
inb4itshouldn'tgoaway

Here's the reasoning behind closing the group:
1) It turns into the Pokemon Backroom if it stays open (oh boy) and we already have Smogon for that. Check Pokemon Backroom off the list.
2) It turns into a lite version of the above, and we already have Smogon for that.
3) It stays how it already is, with everyone and their mother having the researcher title, which is useless.

Members can just talk about this stuff in the main room. Free trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom