• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Researcher Reformation and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
As all of you have noticed, the "Pokemon Researcher" Title is having problems. There are people that have it that have never Posted or really even contributed to the Pokemon Center. There is also the trouble that, due to Smogon, the title means nothing in terms of set researching. The result? Pokemon Researcher means absolutely nothing. It is not a title of any sort. It is just a brown coloring to your name, regardless of what you have done.

Blank Researchers
KageMurhpy
BEHR
outofdashdwz
TheReflexWonder
YagamiLight
Zrky
NJzFinest

Now, I prepose a reform, along the lines of this:

THE IDEA

Now, first of all, we would need to get rid of any researcher than does not go to the forums, or does not contribute to the community in way to demonstrate extensive Pokemon knowledge. Next, we modify the Pokemon Research Sub-Forum for the time being be modified to serve two roles:
A. SmashCAP discussions/polls/etc stored there.
B. Serious Pokemon Discussions (for example, a very current topic on Smogon is that Deo-D might get tested, and be brought down to OU. Pokemon researchers could discuss this topic in there). These serious discussions can also be expanded upon when the 5th Gen rolls around to its old "Work on movesets" until the metagame stablizes.

It would allow Researchers to bring up topics that require only serious discussion, etc.
I also would like to bring up some old topics as well that need to be finished up through this, like SmashCAP1's sprite and movesets.
Feel free to share ideas you have about this topic in the thread.

There one, and only one rule for posting, though:
No making stupid or joking remarks. This is..... *sigh*.... serious business.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I concur.

Since this reform is gonna probably happen, I'll finally get to start posting seriously now :D

I think we should start by taking away the title from people who have never been to the PC before

SilentVerse

Smash Journeyman
I also agree with this. One thing that bugs me though is the combination of the Smash CAP threads and the serious discussions. I personally feel that the Smash CAP should have a seperate sub-forum (if possible) as it just seems like the Smash CAPs would sort of clutter up the reformed Pokemon Research sub-forum. Other than that, I like the idea.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
As I've stated before, I wonderfully thought up idea.

One thing I wanted to emphasize on was that these "Blank Researchers" need to be removed without warning, and they can re-attain their title when they meet the requirements. I've seen some Researchers suddenly make a post in the PokeCenter just recently, but then they don't post anything else afterwards.

Also, we could be renamed "Pokemon Elites," or "Pokemon League," or "Elite Four." Just starter suggestions.

-Terywj

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
As I've stated before, a wonderfully thought up idea.
Fix'd

One thing I wanted to emphasize on was that these "Blank Researchers" need to be removed without warning, and they can re-attain their title when they meet the requirements. I've seen some Researchers suddenly make a post in the PokeCenter just recently, but then they don't post anything else afterwards.
Whilst Spire may not be up for it, we really need to push this along. These Blank Researchers are probably the biggest reason why our name means next-to-nothing as of now.

Also, we could be renamed "Pokemon Elites," or "Pokemon League," or "Elite Four." Just starter suggestions.

Oooh, I actually really like "Pokemon League"

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
We were talking about the user group name as a whole, I guess.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I also agree with this. One thing that bugs me though is the combination of the Smash CAP threads and the serious discussions. I personally feel that the Smash CAP should have a seperate sub-forum (if possible) as it just seems like the Smash CAPs would sort of clutter up the reformed Pokemon Research sub-forum. Other than that, I like the idea.
I agree with all of this. I myself just earned the title but I will actually contribute, plus I have a good amount of knowledge in Pokemon. I even posted a new Metagross lead suggestion if anyone cares. :lick:

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Well as a whole we basically would be a Pokemon League. Pokemon League Member just seems like too long of a title anyway. Elite Four is bad because it implies that there are only four of us. I do approve of Pokemon League though.

Ooo...PBR. Pokemon Back Room. ;) That's what this room could be renamed even though others can view it. It will still have a sense of exclusivity, so I think the name is fitting.

Stickying non-CAP topics that are in current discussion will help flesh out the clutter that will inevitably be caused by the mixture of CAP and serious discussion. And when a topic is basically done with, just unsticky it and let it fall to the back with the past SmashCAP topics. I think that's the best we can do with what we currently have, so that is my suggestion.

Past that, all I can say is don't listen to me when it comes to choosing who should keep the title. I'd likely be the most cutthroat and nazi-like on the subject, and I'm assuming that's not what you want.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I say that we would just make a "SmashCAP Database thread" that has links to all threads and polls for SmashCAP.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
****, that beats my idea. Let's do what you said. It makes a whole lot more sense anyway.

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
I like "Pokemon League" as a new name.

making a thread that links to all the SmashCAP threads still doesn't deal with the burying of the pokemon specific threads already in here. A new subforum for SmashCAP would keep all the threads together while keeping this room somewhat neat.

/2¢

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
We were talking about the user group name as a whole, I guess.
Oh, then I like pokemon league.
Just make sure it says Leaugue member or something under your name instead of pokemon league XD
I am gonna learn a bit more on serious discussion, I am waaaay better at aesthetic things like spriting, smashCAP, etc.
I think I deserve the title right? I post often here.

Mewter

Smash Master
Ultimario, Terywj, your ideas rock. ;)
I like the separate Smashcap subforum idea (Silent Verses' version), "Pokemon League" title, and crack-down on the Pseudo Researchers.

Maybe the Researcher list should just be cleared so that the group can start with a blank slate. Anyone who even cares about joining will rejoin anyway, and knowing whether or not they are frequent posters in the Pokemon Center should be easy enough.

What should the qualifications be in order to join the group?

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Why is everyone going on about changing our title so much? :ohwell:

I think we should focus on cleaning up the board/threads and the members. The whole title changing isn't even important.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Heres my golden standard for requirements:

"The user shows that he or she has in-depth knowledge in Pokemon as demonstrated in discussions in regular Pokemon Center threads, the RMT Forum, and SmashCAP threads"

Anyone that disagrees, please say so.

Mewter

Smash Master
That sounds good to me. Sounds strict enough to work, but it's not that difficult to achieve.

I guess that means I lose my Researcher title though, since I (almost) never post in the RMT threads.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I'd assume strong regulars would keep the titles as well. I would consider that an alternative method of achieving the role, considering that a regular would at least know the goings-on of the Poke Center rather well, and I'd personally consider that good enough.

But maybe that's just me. I agree with UltiMario's criteria though.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I agree with Writer.

That would be a good alternative. Got a question though. Lets say you know competitive battling, but suck at it, like I do, would that constitute a taking away of your title?

supermarth64

Smash Ace
I wouldn't necessarily say and because I don't participate in CAP discussions.

Maybe 2/3 or just "or"?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I say that we would just make a "SmashCAP Database thread" that has links to all threads and polls for SmashCAP.
Agreed. At the completion of SmashCAP 2 I will be making a SmashCAP Archive Thread, which will house the "final product" posts in one single thread. I'll have to reserve a good amount of posts, however. I'll talk to Spire about that when time comes.

Why is everyone going on about changing our title so much? :ohwell:

I think we should focus on cleaning up the board/threads and the members. The whole title changing isn't even important.
As UltiMario has stated before, we aren't really "Researcherss" since Smogon exists. I'd go more in-depth on this but I don't want to.

I'd assume strong regulars would keep the titles as well. I would consider that an alternative method of achieving the role, considering that a regular would at least know the goings-on of the Poke Center rather well, and I'd personally consider that good enough.

But maybe that's just me. I agree with UltiMario's criteria though.
Also agreed. People like IC3R (although he's been away lately) should still be able to maintain the title, etc.

-Terywj

SilentVerse

Smash Journeyman

"The user shows that he or she has in-depth knowledge in Pokemon as demonstrated in discussions in regular Pokemon Center threads, the RMT Forum, and SmashCAP threads"

I agree with this, but where do we draw the line for in-depth knowledge? Do you mean like actually doing something that would require such knowledge, or just simply showing that you know what IV's, EV's, and such are? In-depth knowledge isn't exactly specific, so we'd have to figure out what the requirements of in-depth knowledge is.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
In all honesty, if they were able to keep up (not literally) with everything that goes on in the PokeCenter with contributing posts, I'd assume that they know what they're doing.

Also, we have an AIM chatroom on this right now, although Chibo just went away, and Writer is playing Halo. Lol.

-Terywj

SilentVerse

Smash Journeyman
That sounds fair, it seems like something that wouldn't be hard to do, but would require at least some knowledge.

And sadly, I don't have AIM.

Player-4

See you in 25 years

AND SmashCAP? I don't know **** about SmashCAP, but I know a butt load about Standard play.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
SmashCAP. We create new Pokemon just like how Smogon does. Only we're cooler.

Join in on the discussions! I'll be posting up the next segments soon, actually.

-Terywj

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Lol I still don't know anything about it even if Smogon does it. I mean I'll help out with move pools ideas, stats, types, and so on if that's what you guys mostly do.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Basically we're creating unique Pokemon which a unique niche to fit into the OU Metagame.

Right now we're working on spriting, but movepool threads will be up very soon.

-Terywj

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Mkay. Post so this thread doesn't die off into oblivion.

Now, Spire, whats your stance on this thus far? Have you been talking in your little back room or whatever and getting a reform like this going?

Mewter

Smash Master
Maybe the list can be posted here so that we can all see it.
Or we could just go around and manually pick people out that have been parading brown names but haven't really done anything.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I think only Spire and Umbreon can see a full list of Pokémon Researchers.
Yeah I was thinking that. I'll talk to Spire about it.

Maybe the list can be posted here so that we can all see it.
Or we could just go around and manually pick people out that have been parading brown names but haven't really done anything.
That is the alternative option.

-Terywj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom