• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Researcher Reformation and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
HEY
Im only COMPLETELY unaware of competitive battling.
COMPLETELY!
Fix'd. And for the record, awareness isn't what makes you worthy of the title. Being knowledgeable does. Awareness =/= knowledge. You can be aware of competitive battling all day, but that doesn't mean you know **** about it.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Again, what if you suck at competitive battling. Because I really do have a team on my Platinum on my comp (I don't have a cartridge... sorry), but I really am bad at this whole shmiz... does that mean that your title gets taken away?

A_man13

Smash Master
Proposal:

Wifi battling is not considered competitive.
It's competitive, just not as competitive as Shoddy. I'd agree with the statement, though, especially when you look at the facts:

1) Rotom forms can be used on shoddy, not on wifi
2) Hacking stats so that they are illegitimate is much easier on wifi than shoddy
3) There are other glitches such as acid rain on wifi
4) Every pokemon is on an even playing field IV wise on shoddy. Unless you get lucky in wifi...
5) Freeze clause is un-implementable unless you stop using freeze moves (which is unfair)

While the metagames are similar, it is easier to give one player the advantage over the other on wifi. While there are some features such as a hax decrease on if you get flinched twenty times in a row (well, at least in theory) on wifi, otherwise shoddy is more of a fair meter of skill. I'll always be more of a wifi player, but I admit the skill it takes to win is much lower.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
JUST to fix up all your Errors

1) Rotom forms can be used on shoddy, not on wifi
HGSS fixes this

2) Hacking stats so that they are illegitimate is much easier on wifi than shoddy
Most the time it doesn't even matter seeing as its extremely easy to tell when a normally frail Pokemon barely gets phased by an attack that should normally OHKO it, and then OHKOs you back with a move that normally shouldn't. Or something happening like an Azelf outspeeding an Aero to the Taunt, and THEN SRing. Then they're put on the blacklist of the site and no longer a problem....

3) There are other glitches such as acid rain on wifi
*sigh* I even know why this glitch happens and I still don't understand why it even exists :<

4) Every pokemon is on an even playing field IV wise on shoddy. Unless you get lucky in wifi...
LOL like EVERYONE that tries to be competative on Wifi either PokeSAVs or RNGs. Everyone decent is on the same playing field.

5) Freeze clause is un-implementable unless you stop using freeze moves (which is unfair)
The chances of two Pokemon being frozen at once is so low that its not an issue.

While the metagames are similar, it is easier to give one player the advantage over the other on wifi. While there are some features such as a hax decrease on if you get flinched twenty times in a row (well, at least in theory) on wifi, otherwise shoddy is more of a fair meter of skill. I'll always be more of a wifi player, but I admit the skill it takes to win is much lower.
Wrong. Because of the slow pace of the handheld games, the metagame is much more offensive just to get it over with and to prevent disconnections. Theres also no features anywhere that modify luck. Its luck and luck only.
Fixing up a good chunk of your post applies to this thread actually. If you know what I mean....

A_man13

Smash Master
I've been out of the scene for a while and I wasn't sure if those were true or not. Last time I played was post platinum, so I have no idea the changes that have occurred. Chances are its not a land I'm going back to, either.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
A_Man:
I wasn't aware Wifi has an Anti-Hax Clause

UltiMario:
2. They can give their Roserade one extra Speed point to always win the Speed "tie" against other Roserades.
4. Better safe than sorry.
5. They say that about Effect Spore and Psycho Shift breaking Sleep Clause, but again, what if it happens? Besides, Serene Grace Jirachi.

A_man13

Smash Master
A_Man:
I wasn't aware Wifi has an Anti-Hax Clause

UltiMario:
2. They can give their Roserade one extra Speed point to always win the Speed "tie" against other Roserades.
5. They say that about Effect Spore and Psycho Shift breaking Sleep Clause, but again, what if it happens?
Not even that. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that your luck goes down as you flinch, para, freeze, etc. I doubt it's true, but who knows. May explain why I never saw a togekiss/flinchrachi on wifi (then again, this was Serebii; pretty much if you can hope to win a match more than once when you are not using hacked wondertombs your at smogon).

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
UltiMario:
Roserade leads wouldn't be used on Wifi because TSpikes are pointless seeing as there is no stall.
Yup
5. They say that about Effect Spore and Psycho Shift breaking Sleep Clause, but again, what if it happens? Besides, Serene Grace Jirachi.
Effect Spore like isn't used AT ALL and Psycho Shift has only been used competatively to pass burns, and nobody in their right mind would Psycho Shift sleep onto their own Pokemon.
Annoying has annoying flaws in his responses, except 4.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
2. Very well then. Throw your Aerodactyl one extra Speed point, give your Scarf Latias one extra point, whatever. My point still stands.
5. So? Better safe than sorry. Also, Serene Grace Jirachi.

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
2. Very well then. Throw your Aerodactyl one extra Speed point, give your Scarf Latias one extra point, whatever. My point still stands.
I always (try to) give full speed with aero.
Then split the rest of the evs, mainly in attack though.
And Flincharachi is a son of a B*TCH:mad:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I'm pretty sure Speed ties go first every-other-turn so if you go first twice its obvious you're hacking.

Ice Punch is Jirachi's only move that can break any clause and really you're only using Ice Punch against like 4X Weak Dragons which OHKOs them anways so theres no issues.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure Speed ties go first every-other-turn so if you go first twice its obvious you're hacking.
Where do people hear this? It's obviously not true.
EDIT: Also, your Latias isn't going to be surviving that Draco Meteor, so even if it were true, you'd never know.
Ice Punch is Jirachi's only move that can break any clause and really you're only using Ice Punch against like 4X Weak Dragons which OHKOs them anways so theres no issues.
You're also using Ice Punch to abuse freeze hax.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Where do people hear this? It's obviously not true.
EDIT: Also, your Latias isn't going to be surviving that Draco Meteor, so even if it were true,
you'd never know.
Well... thats what happens every single time I'm in a speed tie, so thats what I've learned from experience.
What about when that Azelf outpaces you to the Taunt and then Outpaces you again to SR, then outpaces you a third time to explode on your Azelf? Obv hack

You're also using Ice Punch to abuse freeze hax.
Yes. Lets spam Ice Punch against Metagross and hope for the best.

OFF TOPICNESS IS OFF TOPIC

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Well... thats what happens every single time I'm in a speed tie, so thats what I've learned from experience.
I've lost speed ties three turns in a row on Shoddy before, and have encountered speed ties numerous amounts of times in-game, in which I rarely ever saw a one-two-one-two type of situation. It's more like one-one-two-one-two-two-two. If you see one-two-one-two every time you run into speed ties, then you either don't pay attention or are quite possibly the only person on earth to not experience any fixation of good or bad luck (AKA lose or win 50/50 odds numerous times in a row).

Speed ties are literally a coin flip every turn they happen.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Well then I must have stupidly weird "luck" seeing as every single speed tie I've been in has been one-two-one-two

A_man13

Smash Master
50/50 means anything can happen.

I cite Zap Cannon.
You said Zap cannon in a competitive pokemon debate! Sign one of the apocalypse! What's next; a debate about how OU unown is?

But speed ties are not fun which is why people may hack on wifi. I played in the battle frontier with someone once and, well, I saw the single most hacked pokemon ever used; wondertomb with 252 EVs across the board and max IVs. Furthermore, shiny. It wasn't a battle so, y'know, I wasn't depressed, but Shoddy has checks for that and not so on wifi. Maybe on the GTS, but not on a wifi battle.

A_man13

Smash Master
WonderTomb is kind of a cliche, it's so overused.
It is. Memory serves there are three ways to beat it: scrappy + fighting move (you hit the dark type SE and negate the ghost type), mold breaker (obvious reason), and either fire punch or fire fang (glitch, but I'll take it).

A_man13

Smash Master
You'd think it would be something powerful like judgement but no, they HAD to make sure that the only move that could get past was a lame bite that just happened to be hot. In other words, Game freak is saying that a being consisting of 108 spirits that is immune to nearly every attack could be beat by a red ant...

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Guys. Guys. This is a discussion of reformation of the Pokémon Researcher group. The past page (if you use 40PPP) has been about the flaws of Wi-Fi.

Technically, if you battle competitively on Wi-Fi the same basic rules apply, it's just more competitive on Shoddy because more is made constant because, let's face it, Nintendo didn't make Pokémon for competitive battling just like Sakurai didn't make Brawl for competitive battling.

Also, wait, you can delete posts in this room? That's weird...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
The Fire Fang glitch wasn't spotted cause it goes through sheddy anyways lol

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Following suit, if awareness =/= knowledge then I don't really deserve the Researcher title, since I only know so much about the UU Metagame and jack nothing about anything else.

But I'd be fine if I were to lose the title.

-Terywj

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
We didn't say that that knowledge had to be OU, did we?

Being a UU wiz and a bigger contributor to the community than Spire warrants a Title IMO.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Jussayin'. Regardless if what we brought up before the WiFi discussions took place then theoretically speaking CeaseTick should lose the title as well, having only become semi-active lately.

-Terywj

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Tery should lose the title cus even with UU knowledge his knowledge is limited, it sounds mean but its true.

Firus should probably lose his to as to my knowledge he's never really been intimate with competitive smash.

Mine should probably be taken away to as no matter what the title gets used for I more than certainly will not use it.

Also, Charmander. I dont need to explain that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom