• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon characters for SSB4

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

@Super Smash Bros. Fan

I still count that as 4. Pkmn trainer shouldn't count as 6. If you want Ivysaur, you are stuck with the others. And with Mario being THE most popular series ever pretty much, why would they have 4 but a slightly lesser series has TWO more?

It is still one character box for Pkmn trainer, and you çan't solo anyone without getting the others. This strikes me as One character, not Three. Regardless, this is an area of common disagreement and contraversy. I was just saying, Mario is now at 5 reps again. They could get more, but this would require even more roster space than it is likely to be had.
Sakurai himself counts it as six characters for Pokémon in Brawl. While Pokémon Trainer is one character box; the fact is that Pokémon Trainer takes the work of three characters just like Zelda/Sheik took the work of two characters in Melee/Brawl and were counted as two individual characters. Again, Sakurai doesn't count slots, he counts individuals characters.

And Smash is not Congress. This post should help you out here as to why sales do not matter.
But all of them tie in number os SLOTS. Also, in case of the Pkmn trainer, you were forced to change among the three pokemons during the fight because the stamina stuff, they all act like an only character.
And in this new Smash, Slots = Characters, probably.

So about the bet, what do you think about the slot stuff?
Slots are a **** argument that misinform people into thinking Brawl had less characters than it really did.

Morbi

Scavenger
Mewtwo Chances to get in are related to Mega Evolutions and everybody knows that. Now, we have already four pokemons, two of them with mega evlutions. They probablly have Jiggly to add yet. Regardless of the slot stuff, thinking mewtwo get in with so many characters of so many different franchises to put in... What you think? A diverse roster or one stuffed with pokemon, and half ot them carryng the same final smash mechanic?

We took almost a Whole Year to have 6 newcomers revealed. Is obvious that this game will not have a lot of newcomers. Is very unlikely the lef bowser jr to the end (I WANT Bowser Jr. I like it, but again, REALISM). Whatever, read my awser to the other dude in this same post.

Mewtwo biggest skyrocket to relevance is mega evolution, they are already using this in two pokemon, one of them probabbly more famous than mewtwo for non pokemon fãs, and the other arguably equaly famous to pokemon fans.

And if you didn't get it, if mewtwo was cut off due to Time restrictions, he was let to be programmed in the end anyways, that is argument enough to proof his irrelevance compared to the other smashers.

And dude, mewtow is WAAAAY less relevant to Brw than R.O.B. Rob is a historical important to Nintendo, and played a important Role in Subspace emissary. Mewtwo is a pokemon. he is an awesome pokemon, but he is still a pokemon. I'm a huge pokemon fan, and a Believe you are one Too, so I know that is hard, but try to see mewtwo impact for non pokemon fans.
That isn't evidence; that is your opinion. We have objective precedent that dictates that copy and paste Final Smashes are applicable. Remember the Landmaster? Every single Star Fox character had a Landmaster, that is three characters. The proposed amount for Pokemon. Secondly, we do not objectively know if Mewtwo's Final Smash will be a Mega Evolution, we are not absolutely certain that Lucario's is either (unless I am mistaken and Sakurai made assertions pertinent to this notion). Thirdly, a Final Smash has nothing to do with a characters chances for inclusion. Lastly, the roster is just as diverse as Brawls. We already (by a preponderance of the evidence) received 2 cuts to clean up the roster. If Mewtwo and Jigglypuff are the only remaining Pokemon; the roster is much more diverse than before. So that isn't a relevant argument either.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
But all of them tie in number os SLOTS. Also, in case of the Pkmn trainer, you were forced to change among the three pokemons during the fight because the stamina stuff, they all act like an only character.
And in this new Smash, Slots = Characters, probably.

So about the bet, what do you think about the slot stuff?
I generally don't think using the "slots" logic is the best way to determine character representation.

Morbi

Scavenger
I generally don't think using the "slots" logic is the best way to determine character representation.
Precisely; utilizing the "slots" argument is much more valuable in a FRANCHISE representation argument. Not a CHARACTER representation argument. Even then; it isn't a very compelling argument as characters represent that franchise. I just felt like pointing out the very overt difference.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
2 Kanto region representative we have charizard though.

I was thinking maybe a grass pokemon being in the game like how project m separated the starters from the trainer.

Morbi

Scavenger

I was thinking maybe a grass pokemon being in the game like how project m separated the starters from the trainer.
I honestly wouldn't mind a grass-type Pokemon. It would just bother me if we got a grass-type Pokemon only to satisfy an arbitrary pattern.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Can any one give me a reason as to why nintendo 2nd biggest franchise would have more reps than its biggest?

And can any one prove that sakurai counts PT as one character (or 3)

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Sakurai himself counts it as six characters for Pokémon in Brawl. While Pokémon Trainer is one character box; the fact is that Pokémon Trainer takes the work of three characters just like Zelda/Sheik took the work of two characters in Melee/Brawl and were counted as two individual characters. Again, Sakurai doesn't count slots, he counts individuals characters.

And Smash is not Congress. This post should help you out here as to why sales do not matter.
Slots are a **** argument that misinform people into thinking Brawl had less characters than it really did.
Sales matter to SSB. Its the reason why Sakurai makes the games. I never said the amount of reps had to do with popularity. It's mainly promotion.

i disagree with the slots. Slots should be an accurate depiction of roster size. Lets say you pick Zelda and like her, but your friend uses Sheik. Let's say you both wantt to pick a blue form. Can you both be blue without having to be diffrent shades? No, one will be darker or lighter. It's one character with my logic. I don't care what Sakurai says about what makes a character. Point is You get one with the other.(got rather. It's changed now).

@Ryuuma
Fine, Guys, just wait for mewtwo.
looks like we'll be waiting a while.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

We had five Kanto representatives in Brawl.

And I agree with Morbid about the grass starter idea. There really isn't a truly stand out grass starter that would be an obvious choice for Smash. The closest thing we have to that would probably be Sceptile, but even he isn't that notable in the grand scheme of things and is pretty overshadowed by Blaziken as far as 3rd gen starters go. I'd rather get a character that has significance on its own, rather than getting a character just to keep OCD people from going nuts complete a basic pattern that may or may not mean anything in Smash.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
No we'll have until summer for 3ds. At this rate, they'd have to cram in another Mario rep by summer. Unlikely, if you ask me.
Right right the 3DS is a system. Sometimes I forget that one. Still I think there could be DLC.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
We had five Kanto representatives in Brawl.

And I agree with Morbid about the grass starter idea. There really isn't a truly stand out grass starter that would be an obvious choice for Smash. The closest thing we have to that would probably be Sceptile, but even he isn't that notable in the grand scheme of things and is pretty overshadowed by Blaziken as far as 3rd gen starters go. I'd rather get a character that has significance on its own, rather than getting a character just to keep OCD people from going nuts complete a basic pattern that may or may not mean anything in Smash.
I totally agree with you man.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Right right the 3DS is a system. Sometimes I forget that one. Still I think there could be DLC.
I hop there isn't but with my luck there probaly will be. I just hate how, with DLC, a game can cost over $100. And let's face it, if you want whole experience, you need to get the DLC.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I hop there isn't but with my luck there probaly will be. I just hate how, with DLC, a game can cost over $100. And let's face it, if you want whole experience, you need to get the DLC.
Yeah I feel like the only thing DLC for smash should be costumes. Idk there could be characters though.

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
@Ryuuma

looks like we'll be waiting a while.
Yeah, after the game cames out and mewtwo not appears, they will just say that he was cut off due time problems because a stupid conference a year ago with the nintendo guys laughing about a question is something.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Yeah, after the game cames out and mewtwo not appears, they will just say that he was cut off due time problems because a stupid conference a year ago with the nintendo guys laughing about a question is something.
No I think its fair to say that if Mewtwo doesn't return it wouldn't be to time restrictions. He has a lot of reason to come back so I think he will. If he doesn't, then Sakurai clearly doesn't see him as a worth while character.

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
No I think its fair to say that if Mewtwo doesn't return it wouldn't be to time restrictions. He has a lot of reason to come back so I think he will. If he doesn't, then Sakurai clearly doesn't see him as a worth while character.
So, if Mewtwo won't return now, you will admit that he is irrelevant to Sakurai?

Last edited:

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
So, if Mewtwo won't return now, you will admit that he is irrelevant to Sakurai?
not really irrelevant to sakurai, just a char that he sees that cannot be in the next ssb roster. To my understanding of his quote. or I may have said something stupid.

Last edited:

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
not really irrelevant to sakurai, just a char that he sees that cannot be in the next ssb roster. To my understanding of his quote.
DUde is tha same **** with different Words lol.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I kinda want to see Serperior as the grass starter newcomer... sure, it lacks limbs necessary for Smash... but it can substitute limbs with vines... just like Ivysaur did in Brawl... and it could be pretty unique with its snake-like body... its gameplay would involve lots of wrapping and binding enemies with its own body... and maybe incorporate the Snake Kung Fu fighting style. Aesthetically, it would be a lot different from Lucario, Charizard, and Greninja since they are all bipedal Pokemon and Serperior is not.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I kinda want to see Serperior as the grass starter newcomer... sure, it lacks limbs necessary for Smash... but it can substitute limbs with vines... just like Ivysaur did in Brawl... and it could be pretty unique with its snake-like body... its gameplay would involve lots of wrapping and binding enemies with its own body... and maybe incorporate the Snake Kung Fu fighting style. Aesthetically, it would be a lot different from Lucario, Charizard, and Greninja since they are all bipedal Pokemon and Serperior is not.

Serperior would be the first char to not have legs or arms , I can see Sakurai having such a hard time creating a char like this because what would be Serperior "A" moves be like? lol it will look so weird in my opinion. I can see his "B" moves though.

Last edited:

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
I never expected a gen 5 pokemon, they are all boring and without impact. Even Zoroark, he never was nice enough to took Lucario's place or something.

D

Deleted member

Fine, Guys, just wait for mewtwo.
*six months later, is kicking ass with Mewtwo in SSB 3DS*
Can any one give me a reason as to why nintendo 2nd biggest franchise would have more reps than its biggest?

And can any one prove that sakurai counts PT as one character (or 3)
Aside from the fact that Sakurai has already said that there were thirty-nine characters in Brawl instead of thirty-five (showing he doesn't count slots), Pokémon is a franchise with a plethora of fighters. The concept of franchise representation is also silly. Compare character representation in Brawl with sales of said franchise and you'll see my point (and by that I mean include transformation).
Sales matter to SSB. Its the reason why Sakurai makes the games. I never said the amount of reps had to do with popularity. It's mainly promotion.

i disagree with the slots. Slots should be an accurate depiction of roster size. Lets say you pick Zelda and like her, but your friend uses Sheik. Let's say you both wantt to pick a blue form. Can you both be blue without having to be diffrent shades? No, one will be darker or lighter. It's one character with my logic. I don't care what Sakurai says about what makes a character. Point is You get one with the other.(got rather. It's changed now).
Of course sales matter in order to make the game, but that not at all what I said. I said that sales of a franchise does not matter when it comes to adding a character. It means that a character doesn't have to be from a franchise with a ton of sales in order to be added. Xenoblade wasn't exactly the best selling game on the market, yet Shulk has been leaked for this game (if we go by the Gematsu leak).

I also doubt characters are mainly added to promote a new game. Even Roy, who was added as a last-minute character in Melee, was added not just to promote a new game, but the series as a whole.

Slots should not be the accurate description of the roster size. It certainly wasn't in Melee and Brawl. Both games had twenty-five and thirty-five slots yet had twenty-six and thirty-nine characters respectively. This was because of transformation that required the work of more than one characters on the slots Sheik/Zelda, Pokémon Trainer and Samus (in Brawl). Transformations may be gone, but it doesn't mean that slots should indicate how many characters are in the game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I never expected a gen 5 pokemon, they are all boring and without impact. Even Zoroark, he never was nice enough to took Lucario's place or something.
That's just your own opinion which would not effect the roster in anyway

*six months later, is kicking *** with Mewtwo in SSB 3DS*
Aside from the fact that Sakurai has already said that there were thirty-nine characters in Brawl instead of thirty-five (showing he doesn't count slots), Pokémon is a franchise with a plethora of fighters. The concept of franchise representation is also silly. Compare character representation in Brawl with sales of said franchise and you'll see my point (and by that I mean include transformation).
And where exactly did he say this? I don't recall seeing it any where

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
Transformations may be gone, but it doesn't mean that slots should indicate how many characters are in the game.
But they Will, maybenot for Zelda/Sheik and Samus/0SSamus, but for pokemon characters, They Will, just Wait.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And where exactly did he say this? I don't recall seeing it any where
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/4964/sakurai-cut-characters-from-smash-bros/
There are 39 characters in the game this time around and just adding a few more wouldn't be enough to justify a new game in my opinion; I'd have to draw a line in the sand and have a new approach to make it worthwhile. As long as the fans enjoy it, though, that's what matters and in the distant future, I guess that might be something I have to consider.

Last edited by a moderator:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Found this interesting:

http://www.nintendo-insider.com/201...-how-pokemon-are-chosen-for-super-smash-bros/

“Well first of all, we talk with The Pokémon Company,” Sakurai began explaining to NowGamer. “What’s the hot Pokémon? What Pokémon are in the movies right now? And really do a lot of research on that front."

“But it’s not just that – going back to just what we talked about, what’s unique about them? Where do they fit in with the rest of everything else? What do they have? It’s a combination of those things.”

Another thing to add is that Greninja will be in the latest Pokemon movie.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

“For example, X and Y are coming out – of course, we haven’t done any market research because they’re not out yet
http://www.nintendo-insider.com/201...-how-pokemon-are-chosen-for-super-smash-bros/

For You, about greninja in the Roster before X Y launch.
You're forgetting about what else Sakurai said later down on the interview:
But it’s not just that – going back to just what we talked about, what’s unique about them? Where do they fit in with the rest of everything else? What do they have? It’s a combination of those things.
Just because Gekkouga wasn't included for marketing purposes (if we go by that) doesn't mean he was a late addition. If anything, this reveals that Gekkouga got in for an entirely different reason; he was unique and stood out from other X & Y choices. You don't have to do market research in order to find out what a character is capable of in regards to uniqueness.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
You're forgetting about what else Sakurai said later down on the interview:Just because Gekkouga wasn't included for marketing purposes (if we go by that) doesn't mean he was a late addition. If anything, this reveals that Gekkouga got in for an entirely different reason; he was unique and stood out from other X & Y choices. You don't have to do market research in order to find out what a character is capable of in regards to uniqueness.
He said
“What’s the hot Pokémon?"
That would most definitely be greninja

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't exactly jump to conclusions just yet if I were you.
Dude, Stop Thinking as a Mewtwo fan that Wants him in Smash Bros. And Think that Right Now, Mewtwo is competing with an Original and Staple Character and some Pokemon that fit the Role to represent the New Pokemon Game, that probably will be lunched soon after or before the Wii U version of Smash. While Mewtwo Role right Now is to represent Mewgaevolutions or the New Generation, both thinks already have representatives in the game.

Among Mewtwo, Jigglypuff and a 3rd gen pokemon. Who you think have less chances?

Mewtwo Have less chances than Jiglypuff (as he always had), and Right Now, Less chances than Sceptile, Blaziken or something like that. PERIOD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom