• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon characters for SSB4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Dude, Sthap....

Why they Should hide Mewtwo? Is E3! They Revealed the best things they could.

They Revealed Pac-man and Megaman at E3.
And, Palutena is a Righ requestd Character too and you Know it.
Also, in Brawl time, they Revealed Wario, Meta-Knight and Pit at E3 trailer, 3 righly request guys in that time.

They Use E3 to make noise and hype. mewtwo is a great way to do this.

Keep hiding Mewtwo? Its Senseless!
Same reason why they hide other big names, to raise up hype later when Smash is about to come out and/or hype when you finally unlock the character and find them in the game.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
"Mewtwo is the Most Requested character." You say.

"So Why Nintendo didn't revealed it on E3"? I Ask.

BECAUSE MEWTWO NOT GONNA HAPPEN.
let it go Guys, no point to hide such a Awesome and Requested Character. nintendo needs Hype to launch Wii U sales. Pac-Man, Palutena and ****ing Miis Were probabbly the best Newcomers they had to Show.

let it go guys D:
Are you saying that K. Rool, Ganondorf, Wario, Shulk, Ridley and Chrom are also out of question just because they didn't get a reveal in E3 being a popular character choice?

Maedhros

Smash Rookie
I understand that a lot of people want Mewtwo back, but I'd honestly rather have Gardevoir be playable than him. I feel like a lot of Mewtwo's support is mostly garnered by nostalgia and his cut inclusion in Brawl which made people want Mewtwo more because they didn't realize how uniquely fun he was to play as until he was cut (in other words, Mewtwo was taken for granted in Melee), and as nice as it would be to bring Mewtwo back for the fans, I'd make Gardevoir a playable character instead to bring some more fresh life into the roster. When you think about it, Gardevoir's got a lot going for her: Lots of popularity, a good choice for the Gen III rep, a new Mega-Evolution, a good representative of the new Fairy type, lots of moveset potential, and she's also the signature Pokemon of XY's champion. I think she's still got a pretty good chance of making it in as a playable character, especially after Sakurai's ambiguous "Remember the video that introduced Greninja joining the battle? Every Pokémon that appeared in that video will make some kind of appearance in Super Smash Bros!" remark which hints that some of the Pokemon in that trailer will be more than just Pokeballs (otherwise he would have just blatantly said that each of those Pokemon in the trailer would be Pokeballs). All in all, although the best outcome would be for both Mewtwo and Gardevoir to be revealed (perhaps their trailer would show them fighting in some sort of Psychic duel), I'd go with Gardevoir if I had to choose.

That's just my two cents on the situation though, I don't mean to discredit or put down anyone else's thoughts. This is nothing more than my personal opinion.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Smash 64 consisted of two Pokemon characters: Pikachu and Jigglypuff

Smash Melee consisted of three Pokemon characters: Pikachu, Jigglypuff,Mewtwo, and Pichu,

Smash Brawl consisted of four Pokemon characters: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, and Pokemon Trainer.

Let's suppose that Smash 4 will consist of five Pokemon characters. What five Pokemons do you think will make it as Smash4 characters?
WHAT?
Melee had four characters, you list them, and Brawl had six characters.
By that standard, we have: 2, 4, 6,
and this game should have 8.

I see this game having six.
Pikachu, Lucario, Mewtwo, Charizard, Sceptile,Greninja

If given a seventh, I'd want a trainer who fights with Pokeballs, a Ranger Stylus, and Photography. This can be next smash.

Last edited:

Makaronileo

Smash Journeyman
WHAT?
Melee had four characters, you list them, and Brawl had six characters.
By that standard, we have: 2, 4, 6,
and this game should have 8.

I see this game having six.
Pikachu, Lucario, Mewtwo, Charizard, Sceptile,Greninja

If given a seventh, I'd want a trainer who fights with Pokeballs, a Ranger Stylus, and Photography. This can be next smash.
U hate the puffs?

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
Stop thinking tha smash bros in centred in pokemon,You are paranoid poketards! Nintendo have plenty of characters to include, more than 5 slots for pokemon is Too Much.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
U hate the puffs?
No, I think it's time we hang up her jersey, in honor.
Her moveset is great, but it is unfitting to her character, and she doesn't mean anything to Pokemon. For a series which has so many options available to it, a spot should not be given to a character with no pertinence to it.
Give her moveset to another character.
Stop thinking tha smash bros in centred in pokemon,You are paranoid poketards! Nintendo have plenty of characters to include, more than 5 slots for pokemon is Too Much.
Nintendo's second biggest franchise, by the way, and with a ton of spinoffs and too many characters to name.
You are very rude when you speak to people.

Makaronileo

Smash Journeyman
If i had to priotize the pokes i would have,

Sceptile>Mewtwo>Puffs with a tweeked Moveset.

I'd love for puffs to return, but i would rather have sceptile or meweto.

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo's second biggest franchise, by the way, and with a ton of spinoffs and too many characters to name.
You are very rude when you speak to people.
Nintendo Biggest franchise (that actually, Sold almost as Twice as Pokemon) have five slots. And you talk about Pokemon having six ou eight.

And it is not just about pokemon, is about every nintendo franchise.
DK deserves a third Rep, Metroid too. Franachises like Xenoblade and Golden Sun dont have any rep, but deserves one.
And you guys wishing 6~8 pokemon reps. Stahp, just stahp.

And you guys overate pokemon. Every Single new generation sells less than the older one (but R/S to D/P transition), Showing a clear drop in the games popularity due the lack of New stuff (every game is the same thing, just with new pokemon, with a good portion of the pokedex being predictable too). While Mario Keep always good Sales.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
^^ Mario consists of a few more genres, and has fifteen years on Pokemon. In terms of total sales that is quite something.
You cannot discuss pokemon without discussing the importance of the anime. In fact, all of Pokemon is considered a phenomena in terms of economic wow factor, which is what makes it so different from all the other franchises. It is much more than just a video game.

Mario, too, is different. While all his characters are technically of different franchises, the fact that a huge part of us knows Yoshi, Wario, and all DK characters belong in tandem with Mario make them somewhat honorary Mario reps. Not technical reps, but honarary, and this too makes Mario different.

PF9

Smash Lord
As for Pokemon reps, I've wanted to see Machamp in a Smash game for some time. Machamp is one of the more popular G1 Fighting-types.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Nintendo Biggest franchise (that actually, Sold almost as Twice as Pokemon) have five slots. And you talk about Pokemon having six ou eight.

And it is not just about pokemon, is about every nintendo franchise.
DK deserves a third Rep, Metroid too. Franachises like Xenoblade and Golden Sun dont have any rep, but deserves one.
And you guys wishing 6~8 pokemon reps. Stahp, just stahp.

And you guys overate pokemon. Every Single new generation sells less than the older one (but R/S to D/P transition), Showing a clear drop in the games popularity due the lack of New stuff (every game is the same thing, just with new pokemon, with a good portion of the pokedex being predictable too). While Mario Keep always good Sales.
Why not have 6 Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. And then on top of that have a 3rd DK and Metroid, and then have Shulk. That's how my roster is, plus a few more characters.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
5 reps for one of the most popular franchises of all time is too much? That's not remotely true.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
As for Pokemon reps, I've wanted to see Machamp in a Smash game for some time. Machamp is one of the more popular G1 Fighting-types.

Which doesn't give it any chance, still.
He is one of the more popular, then, of what-- 8 fully evolved of that gen? (Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Primeape, Poliwrath, ... I actuallly think I'm only missing one)

Four arms? Cool.
But gen one? fighting type? We have enough candidates.

Rayopuff

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai already said in the Q&A that there won't be any new Pokemon characters in the game other than Greninja so I'd keep my expectations for Sceptile way down

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sakurai already said in the Q&A that there won't be any new Pokemon characters in the game other than Greninja so I'd keep my expectations for Sceptile way down
False. He said they reserved a space for one new x/y character.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I honestlydont think jigglypuff will be the only remaining Pokemon. Somehow having no truly unknown characters for the three big Nintendo franchises seems all wrong to me. At least one has to have a not obvious one (toad, vaati, sceptile, mewtwo, somebody)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well... Greninja sounds a lot like a surprise Pokemon character that nobody saw coming. With him out of the way, I can only see veterans taking their rightful spots. At least... some of them. :(

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
Why not have 6 Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. And then on top of that have a 3rd DK and Metroid, and then have Shulk. That's how my roster is, plus a few more characters.
That would be awesome, but we need to be realistc. A roster with 6 big three would be huge!
At this point, only 9 newcomers were revealed, that indicates the game have a small number of newcomers, which indicates a roster with something near 45 characters.

You Guys, don't get me Wrong. I want mewtwo in the game, but i'm realistc enough to let it go, right now. Start hoping for mewtwo as a DLC, because as a Regular character is not gonna happen.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I understand that a lot of people want Mewtwo back, but I'd honestly rather have Gardevoir be playable than him. I feel like a lot of Mewtwo's support is mostly garnered by nostalgia and his cut inclusion in Brawl which made people want Mewtwo more because they didn't realize how uniquely fun he was to play as until he was cut (in other words, Mewtwo was taken for granted in Melee), and as nice as it would be to bring Mewtwo back for the fans, I'd make Gardevoir a playable character instead to bring some more fresh life into the roster. When you think about it, Gardevoir's got a lot going for her: Lots of popularity, a good choice for the Gen III rep, a new Mega-Evolution, a good representative of the new Fairy type, lots of moveset potential, and she's also the signature Pokemon of XY's champion. I think she's still got a pretty good chance of making it in as a playable character, especially after Sakurai's ambiguous "Remember the video that introduced Greninja joining the battle? Every Pokémon that appeared in that video will make some kind of appearance in Super Smash Bros!" remark which hints that some of the Pokemon in that trailer will be more than just Pokeballs (otherwise he would have just blatantly said that each of those Pokemon in the trailer would be Pokeballs). All in all, although the best outcome would be for both Mewtwo and Gardevoir to be revealed (perhaps their trailer would show them fighting in some sort of Psychic duel), I'd go with Gardevoir if I had to choose.

That's just my two cents on the situation though, I don't mean to discredit or put down anyone else's thoughts. This is nothing more than my personal opinion.
In response to "got a pretty good chance of making it in as a playable character," Gardevoir actually has no chance due to being confirmed as a Poké Ball assist. Here is one match where Gardevoir appears.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Dude, Sthap....

Why they Should hide Mewtwo? Is E3! They Revealed the best things they could.

They Revealed Pac-man and Megaman at E3.
And, Palutena is a Righ requestd Character too and you Know it.
Also, in Brawl time, they Revealed Wario, Meta-Knight and Pit at E3 trailer, 3 righly request guys in that time.

They Use E3 to make noise and hype. mewtwo is a great way to do this.

Keep hiding Mewtwo? Its Senseless!
Maybe because he could be an unlockable character and that Nintendo are keeping probably Mewtwo and the other hidden unlocakables a secret?

Even if he is not unveiled at E3, there is still a chance he could either show up within upcoming events such as Nintendo Directs (within July and August) or by the time the 3DS Japanese version comes out.

Last edited:

Boofer

Smash Ace
At this point, I'm very happy with the Pokémon selection, and I'd only be at all disappointed if we don't get Mewtwo. I think we have a pretty strong chance of getting Mewtwo as DLC if the rumors are true, so I suppose I shouldn't be pessimistic. I couldn't care less if Jiggs left, to be honest.

Back when Melee had just come out, my friends and I would always imagine an all Pokémon Smash game, which, to me, would be glorious. I know it likely won't happen, and if it did, there'd be a LOT of competition for limited spots, but how cool would this concept be?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is gonna sound dumb, but while the Pokemon themselves get talked about a lot, I actually am hoping a human character appears in the 3DS version, at the very least. Even though Pokemon Trainer has been dropped out in favor of just Charizard, I am hoping that humans appear as trophies in the game.

Plus, Pokemon does have an adequate replacement for Gray Fox.

:laugh:

I'd think it'd be awesome to feature Essentia/Emma as a Prism Tower hazard, TBH.

Last edited by a moderator:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
This is gonna sound dumb, but while the Pokemon themselves get talked about a lot, I actually am hoping a human character appears in the 3DS version, at the very least. Even though Pokemon Trainer has been dropped out in favor of just Charizard, I am hoping that humans appear as trophies in the game.

Plus, Pokemon does have an adequate replacement for Gray Fox.

:laugh:

I'd think it'd be awesome to feature Essentia/Emma as a Prism Tower hazard, TBH.
The suit only controls her and supposedly makes Pokemon stronger along with makes disguises, so how would the suit function?
But yeah, I agree that human characters from Pokemon could make some sort of appearance...at least trophies.

D

Deleted member

The suit only controls her and supposedly makes Pokemon stronger along with makes disguises, so how would the suit function?
But yeah, I agree that human characters from Pokemon could make some sort of appearance...at least trophies.
Well, it's an astute comment I made with regards to "replacing" Gray Fox. Besides, after the Looker storyline ends, she's free to do what she wants with the suit, and lives up to that since she comments how it made transporation so much easier for her. And, I'm sure she would have some problems with people potentially causing problems in her city.

I was thinking that she could make an appearance and possibly leave behind a Poke Ball or two.

I do hope for some trophies at least.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I've always wanted Pokemon to have more representation than just as Pokemon.
I thought PT was an amazing idea, you play as him! There are so many items that can be drawn on, and many which are essential to pokemon. I honestly feel Sakurai has no idea what Pokemon is, and just gets his information third hand, which all of his included bit seem to indicate, constantly, right down to how the Pokemon fight.
I'd love a Pokemon assist trophy. Master Ball is not a new item to me.

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
This could probably be a fun discussion! Please note this IS NOT a hate thread against Greninja; I love his inclusion and do not want this to turn into "Well, THIS Pokemon DESERVES to get in over Greninja." Mostly just post what Pokemon from the newest generation you think could make good fighters in Smash!

Chesnaught and Delphox are kind of obvious.. both being humanoid and bases of of RPG stereotypes. So I'll mention two moreso "out there." choices:

Aeigislash - One of the most popular 6th gen Pokes, both competitively and casually. It'd be really interesting to see a character that essentially IS a weapon. Plus, switching in between his Blade and Shield formes would be really interesting. Blade Forme obviously have a faster, glass cannon playstyle while Shield Forme could possibly be used to reduce damage and knockback.

Sylveon - Picked because it's another highly popular 6th gen Pokemon, plus it would add a quadruped back into the fray! Her feelers could also be used for things like jabs and grabs to make her a little more believable fighter. I think it would interesting to see Sylveon as a ranged, cleric-like fighter who's damage output is okay (bad in actual physical fighting) who can heal itself to prolong its stock.

That's just a couple ideas! What do you guys think?

D

Deleted member

I've always wanted Pokemon to have more representation than just as Pokemon.
I thought PT was an amazing idea, you play as him! There are so many items that can be drawn on, and many which are essential to pokemon. I honestly feel Sakurai has no idea what Pokemon is, and just gets his information third hand, which all of his included bit seem to indicate, constantly, right down to how the Pokemon fight.
I'd love a Pokemon assist trophy. Master Ball is not a new item to me.
I, too, would like humans to get their day in the limelight.

The reason for that is that Sakurai tends to take more inspiration from the anime than the games. For example, let's look at the oft-cited "Goldeen using Splash" complaint. Casual fans would suggest Magikarp to be the Splasher, while experienced fans would cite that there are several non-Water Pokemon like Wynaut, Spoink, and Buneary that use it, while Goldeen cannot. Of course, in the anime, Goldeen has been depicted as useless outside of a body of water, so there ya go. :p Another problem was Rayquaza, who was pretty violent in Brawl, but according to its Pokedex entries, it's the ultimate peace-maker considering how it always manages to shut Kyogre and Groudon up.

Also, in the decision making for the Pokemon, I'm sure that they chose Greninja because they wanted a ninja fighter and, having access to the roster prior to X & Y's release, saw Greninja and chose it. If you did a poll about most popular Gen VI Pokemon, something like Hawlucha would rank higher than Greninja (excluding legendaries, of course).

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Well here's my thoughts on the "open slot" situation.

Sakurai said that every character was planned before work was started on the game, except for Greninja who was down as an X/Y Pokemon to fill an extra slot.

I have a hard time believing that Jigglypuff and Mewtwo weren't planned in the beginning (given Jiggs' O12 status and Mewtwo's "consideration"), so maybe the open slot was for a sixth Pokemon, since Sakurai may not have wanted to go down in representation.

Just a theory.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Tyrunt could be interesting, would completely eliminate punching as far as fighting goes to completely come up with a character. He would instead bite, lunge, kick or use his tail as main attacks while his main specialties are indeed biting (Strong Jaw) and head butting (Rock head*.)

B: Elemental Fangs
Rotates between Fire, Ice, Poison and Thunder. No elemental weaknesses from them since only other Pokemon would essentially be hurt but each could factor when they connect.
  • Fire burns your opponent outright, taking X damage
  • Ice freezes the opponent for 3-5 seconds, they can't move until the break free in that span
  • Poison will hurt the opponent slowly for 3-5 continuous seconds, much like lips stick.
  • Thunder Fang will paralyze them and they can't shield for 3-5 seconds
Side B: Head Smash
User dives at the opponent to cause huge damage but also receives massive recoil to half dealt. Can be used to recover as well as fight your way back on the stage.

Up B: Ancient Power
Uses its prehistoric power to create a barrier of floating rocks and launches himself in which ever direction you push the controller. This one is a stretch, but since it is a special based attack he does indeed have the move to do it.

Down B: Dragon Tail
A move that's supposed to rotate pokemon, this move instead turns them around 180 while inflicting damage. It also pushes them back so you can continue forward with a combo.

Cheap and fun but I think he has potential to join but will never see it. I don't think its being too cocky to say he was easily the more liked Fossil pokemon of the two.

* Game Freak knows how to crap on a Pokemon, this guy should have gotten RH as his hidden ability. Then again, others have been given the shaft in worse ways than imaginable.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
@ MachoCheeze MachoCheeze , @ Kind Dedede Kind Dedede
Hey there! Since this thread covers the spectrum of all Pokemon character ideas and speculation, gen 6 included, I moved your posts here and merged the topic. Make sure you check out everyone else's awesome ideas!

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
@ MachoCheeze MachoCheeze , @ Kind Dedede Kind Dedede
Hey there! Since this thread covers the spectrum of all Pokemon character ideas and speculation, gen 6 included, I moved your posts here and merged the topic. Make sure you check out everyone else's awesome ideas!
Whatcha sayin man, whatcha say? I can't hear what you're sayin, won't somebody please tell me what you sayin!

(; graci

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
This could probably be a fun discussion! Please note this IS NOT a hate thread against Greninja; I love his inclusion and do not want this to turn into "Well, THIS Pokemon DESERVES to get in over Greninja." Mostly just post what Pokemon from the newest generation you think could make good fighters in Smash!

Chesnaught and Delphox are kind of obvious.. both being humanoid and bases of of RPG stereotypes. So I'll mention two moreso "out there." choices:

Aeigislash - One of the most popular 6th gen Pokes, both competitively and casually. It'd be really interesting to see a character that essentially IS a weapon. Plus, switching in between his Blade and Shield formes would be really interesting. Blade Forme obviously have a faster, glass cannon playstyle while Shield Forme could possibly be used to reduce damage and knockback.

Sylveon - Picked because it's another highly popular 6th gen Pokemon, plus it would add a quadruped back into the fray! Her feelers could also be used for things like jabs and grabs to make her a little more believable fighter. I think it would interesting to see Sylveon as a ranged, cleric-like fighter who's damage output is okay (bad in actual physical fighting) who can heal itself to prolong its stock.

That's just a couple ideas! What do you guys think?
Going off of what Sakurai kinda went off of with Greninja being a ninja themed Pokemon, I can think the next best candidate would be Hawlucha being shaped after a Luchador which is another style of fighter, and since Smash bros doesn't have any wrestling characters, he would fit 100%, not to mention Hawlucha like Greninja was very popular early on and still kinda (not competitively tho), and Ash will be owning a Hawlucha in the next few episodes in Japan, so there's that...But yeah Hawlucha, it's also Flying/Fighting, which is a new unique dual typing never done in Pokemon before and is the only at the moment.

His signature move is "Flying Press" (actual Pokemon move unlike Aura Storm), so that could be his Final Smash, and it's special in that like Hawlucha it is a Flying/Fighting move, the only dual type Pokemon move to exist.

D

Deleted member

I should also point out that I wasn't dissing Greninja, but merely pointing out where I thought its inspiration came from to being part of the game. However, I'd also approve of Hawlucha in the game.

I also hope Misdreavus is added to Smash Run. That's my favorite Pokemon of all-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom