• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Black and White (Spoiler Warning)

PowerBomb

Smash Master
SO I JUST NOTICED FERALIGATR WITH ENCOURAGE

**** yeah, Gators gonna ****.

Roach, go on 4chan and then /tr/. ROM links and cheats and random stuff everywhere.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
There is anti-piracy on the roms if you to try to run it on a cart or emu which makes it so you dont go get exp from any of the battles.

also fuebi get on aim
WHY WOULD YOU GIVE THEM RARE CANDlES

UberMario

Smash Master
I just heard the "In Peril" theme, it's pretty tense and includes the 8-bit "low HP" sample from R/B/Y played like a mixer. (it actually makes it a little less annoying, though the theme itself is a bit repetitive)

EDIT: N has a night battle theme aswell, and it actually sounds more trippy than the day one, like I'd put it up with Earthbound's "Unsettling Opponent" theme in terms of wackiness at some points, it's also less "repetitive".

EDITEDIT: Oh snap they use an instrument that sounds a lot like a HQ version of one of the "ufo instruments" from Earthbound.

Spire

III
BRoomer
The worst designs

By final evolutions, in terms of what LOOK like Pokémon, and by originality:

The first stages of the three monkeys look fine, but only the grass one managed to hold up after evolving.
Just way too generic of a bird, and with its actual somewhat realistic patterns, it doesn't feel stylized like past bird Pokémon.
I was really hoping this guy would turn out great, but it feels uninspired.
Possibly my least favorite this entire generation. I hate this thing.
Some cousin to Slaking? Meh..
Cool, another toad. Except this one sucks and its prevolutions are even weaker in terms of design.
Remember how awesome Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan were? They were fighting counterpart Pokémon based on two martial arts legends and yet managed to look totally unique, unto themselves, and to eachother. These are literally almost pallet swaps of one another.
This isn't terrible, but it just doesn't feel like a Pokémon. It feels like that 'darker' stigma that 4th Gen introduced with Croagunk, Skorupi, and the like, but taken to the next level.
I'll just say I lolfacepalmed when I saw this.
So... trying to erase Blastoise with a Digimon are we?
*barf* how is this an evolution? Note to GameFreak: when evolving a Pokémon, don't just add **** onto it, actually make it look like it evolves. Now it looks even less like a chinchilla, despite Chillarmy hardly resembling one in the first place. Nevermind Tabuune, this could be the worst.
I pretty much hated this when it was announced, but my hopes that a million other awesome Pokémon being released would make this look better. Nope. Now it's just another chunk of coal in the mix. Where's our diamond in the rough?
Okay, I honestly don't dislike this one that much because of how silly it is, but in terms of Pokémon, this sucks.
Another Digimon.
Something out of Mario.
This one is truly just bizarre. It feels imbalanced, entirely unoriginal, and to represent steel and grass, they just had to go the typical "steel is grey spikes, grass is green vines" route. Meh, meh, and more meh.
Similar to Chillarmy's line, the sprites literally only added **** on rather than changing. Even Magneton's sprite isn't a copypasta of Magnemite, they were redrawn.
This thing's basic form is balls to the wall terrible. It's second stage is pretty cool, but then the final form just feels like a slap in the face for the Pokémon-feel that the second bears. Disappointing in that regard.
...okay?
I'll admit, this one is pretty cool, but because it's a frakking chandelier, it falls in the "why is this a Pokémon" category.
Honestly this is too ****** for Pokémon, similar to Reshiram and Zekrom. Dragonite, Tyranitar, and Salamence had fairly basic designs. Garchomp began to get a little complex, but now this guy just takes it to a whole new level with his multiple plates. If they weren't separated and the yellow parts conjoined, it would work.
Some kind of shabby bear with Reshiram's genital tuft of hair. "Oh hey we gave the fire starter a fire beard, let's give this guy an ice beard!"
A SNOWFLAKE. Perhaps the most generic Pokémon ever created. More generic than Rattata.
I still haven't figured this guy out, but as of right now, it's junk. Plus, it's prevolution looks like it should evolve into the bug-knight digimon seen above, not this thing.
I love that GameFreak is trolling us with another dunsparce, but that won't stop me from putting it in the obvious worst design league.
Blegh, where were you in Gen 4? Kind of like a fighting Mewtwo thing but no where near as cool.
Some 10 year old's typical dragon drawing.
Digiyugiohmon.
Viewtifuljoemon.
Alright, a vulture idea is awesome, but when you make it look like every other typical vulture ever, it's not awesome. Remember how Psyduck was a duck, but also a weird little cartoon character? And remember how Golduck was also a duck, but less of a duck while still retaining the basic concept of a duck? They pulled that off awesomely well.
Fanboyism x10000.
This thing looks like some cool Final Fantasy enemy.
First one: WHY? Second one: should have been a Granbull evolution. Third one: should have been another Shaymin form.
Near-pallet swap genies. This generation has now seen three nigh-identical monkeys as separate families and three even more identical legendaries. Last time I saw these guys, I was rolling them up in my Katamari.
Reshiram and Zekrom were pretty cool, but this just feels like the rejected stepbrother.
First: some kind of Spyro character. Second: emo Betty Spaghetti? Third: I can barely even explain why this shouldn't be in Pokémon. There just seem to be too many reasons. Also, should have been a Sableye evolution.

So... weakest legendaries to date? Yep. Weakest overall design of Pokémon to date? Yep.

UberMario

Smash Master
It's supposed to be a Bug/Steel alien robot. (and I thought the Vulture looked pretty good, though it does seem very Digimon-y)

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
So Spire...
Are you saying you don't like them, that they don't "look like Pokémon", or what?

I can't tell. :confused:

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I can totally understand finding Gear's evos to be uninspired but given the concept of the pokemon it really does sort of make sense to make them Gear with more stuff added on.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I seriously think my favorite (in looks) is Zuruzukin.

I swear, I legitimatly like him.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Oh hell yes I do :mad:

You guys study statistics, I study design. Over the past four generations, specific design elements reverberated through many Pokémon, but now that all seems to have been thrown out in favor of: well whatever we have now. It's not the same and GameFreak warned us about that. I'm still excited for gameplay and the new battle system, but the Pokémon designs have really put a dent in Gen 5 for me. If come Gen 6 they alienate the past generations even more, I may see myself finally hanging up the mantle and calling it quits with the series.

For instance: remember the original Yu-gi-oh and Digimon designs? They all felt very original and uniform. Have you guys seen what they've become with time? They transform into these darker, more realistic designs. That's what's happening with Pokémon right now. Zelda went through the same thing with Twilight Princess, but now it's returning to its roots with Skyward Sword. I hope Pokémon will do the same with Gen 6.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
So I totally stopped reading the thread when people started talking about designs being bad. Which is subjective in basically every way possible.

Ninetales @ Life Orb
Drought / Timid
252 SpAtk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Nasty Plot
Fire Blast
Solarbeam
HP Ice / HP Electric

STOP ARGUING AND BOW DOWN TO NINETALES

LASHING_LEAF

Smash Journeyman
lol i think gen 1 designs were a great start gen 2 was average gen 3 average gen 4 bad everythings to kiddie and cute :/ but gen 5 looks pretty hardcore compared to the others XD

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Lightningrod makes you immune to Electric-type attacks and raises your SpAtk when hit by one.

**** YEAH, LIGHTNINGROD SEAKING

Spire

III
BRoomer
No you don't. You only delude yourself into thinking you do.

You're like the guy who sees a musican change styles and say they aren't "insert name here" anymore.
Alright CRASHiC.

You're like the guy who criticizes the critics because you believe they have no credible background.

UberMario

Smash Master
[collapse=Long Post](actual typing in red, the typing they should have been and my opinion in white)

Fire/Fighting
Should have been Fire/Dark, they totally ruined that "I'll be a Sinister Piggy when I grow up!" appearance of the first one.

Water
Water/Fighting
Oh look! I can fight with shell blades! Those clearly have no relevance to being a fighting type, nope. none.

Water
Water/Fighting or Water/Rock
There was absolutely no excuse for this thing to evolve from Epic Ninja Otter be pure Water, and sadly this isn't even the one with the most logicless typing . . . . .

Electric
This so screams Electric/Dark, and yes I know that "Dark" is "Evil"-type in Japan.

Ground/Steel
Ground/Dark or Dark/Steel
How can it have those sinister markings and false eye and NOT be Dark?

Fighting
Fighting/Dark
They look so freakin' evil . . . did I mention that the first stage has enlarged blood vessels on it's kneecaps and forehead? That must be painful.

Grass
Grass/Flying
OH LOOK! I can FLY! Nah, I shouldn't be a flying type.

Dark/Fighting
Electric, Fire, Electric/Fire, Fire/Fighting
Talk about EPIC FAIL TYPING here. What about this looks like it deserves fighting type when Wotter 2 "didn't"? Heck, it looks like a firey rooster.

Ghost
Why PURE Ghost? It's solid, it should be either Ghost/Steel or Ghost/Rock.

Psychic
Psychic/Dark or Dark
Goth? Not part Dark? Dohohohoho

Electric
Electric/Dark (for both) or Electric/Fighting (for the final)
How is a parasite not Dark? And the last one looks like a fighter imo.

Dragon
Dragon/Steel
It has metal protruding from it's mouth, why the **** isn't it part Steel?

Bug
This is not Bug/Steel . . . . why?

Bug
Ugh, why pure bug? This could have easily been Bug/Fighting, Bug/Dark, Dark/Fighting, anything but pure Bug.

Ground/Electric
Water/Electric or Water/Ground
Not much to say . . . .

Fighting
Psychic
I fail to see how it can fight with those flabby arms.

Ground/Ghost
Steel or Steel/Ghost
I don't understand this typing at all.

Steel/Fighting
Water/Fighting, Water, Water/Electric
It has fins, is blue, and has lightning bolts for eyebrows, why is this Steel/Fighting? Really?

Rock/Fighting
Steel/Fighting, Steel, Steel/Ground
This screams steel so bad it isn't funny.

Flying
Poison or Poison/Flying
This is the one of the last things that comes to mind for a pure Flying-type . . . .

Electric/Flying
Water/Flying
Not much to say about this one . . . .

Ground/Flying
Rock/Flying or Fire/Flying
This is the closest of the genies to actually looking like it's typing.
[/collapse]

Spire

III
BRoomer
Yeah, the typing this generation is just ridiculous. This is what happens when Ken Sugimori pretty much stops designing Pokémon.

Tomo Takino

Smash Ace
Hi I'm UberMario, and the thing that defines a pokemon's typing is the colour of its skin.

You're like the guy who criticizes the critics because you believe they have no credible background.
If a critic complains that an artist doesn't sound like themselves, then they have no claim to be made. Critics like this work for Pitchfork.

UberMario

Smash Master
Yeah, the typing this generation is just ridiculous. This is what happens when Ken Sugimori pretty much stops designing Pokémon.
Well, if Ken stops, I want the girl [according to Pia, right?] that made the Yorkie to take full control, because IMO the others don't know what goes into a Pokemon, and these pokemon are the best example of why you only choose one person at a time to make monster designs in a game [not 17 DIFFERENT people like they did for this gen], there was virtually no continuity. (The sad thing is that IIRC Ken was the one that designed Wotter3 ._. )

Hi I'm UberMario, and the thing that defines a pokemon's typing is the colour of its skin.
*looks back at Gen I-IV*

Yep, that pretty much sums up what Ken did for most of them, and that was actually a GOOD idea, and you obviously didn't read all of my post, since most of my reasoning didn't have to do with coloration except on a select few.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Even though basing typing solely off color is pretty lame, you have to admit some of his gripes are legitimate.

It's simply unfathomable that this isn't Bug/Steel.

Tomo Takino

Smash Ace
Yes, some of the typings are legit, but a lot of them make me headdesk.

UberMario, your typings literally make no sense and are only based on the colour of their skin. I doubt you've ever played a Pokemon game in your life.

First off, there is nothing evil about him.
Second off, Dark type in Japan is actually fighting dirty, which is why they have moves like "Surprise Attack" (sucker punch). Simply because a pokemon is of dark skin does not make it dark type. The fighting pokemon with cynder blocks could be dark type on the other hand.

This pokemon has large parts of its body made of steel, and you want it to be made something based on the colour of its skin.

This is a sheep. Sheep can not fly, and we have no evidence that this pokemon can fly other than your baseless assumptions that it can.

Again, you are a poke-racist. This pokemon is based on hooldums, the first being a baggy pants guy, the 2nd having a mohawk and being Punk. The types you access for it are completely idiotic and are based SOLELY on its colouring, which is not how pokemon are classified.

Lolita =/= goth, and humonoid pokemon who are not martial artist are given the psychic type.

There is no reason to call this a figthing pokemon whatsoever. None, notta. You are just pulling up fantasy typings now.

This is based on old golems which are made of the earth, not of steel.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
arg so many freezes gotta save constantly
at least im playing it on my ds

im really dissapointed in terms of features. the game feels like such a step down from HGSS. There is like nothing ever on the touchscreen outside of battles, theres no auto run option, etc

edit: wtf when do i start gaining experience. my smugleaf isnt getting exp from wild battles and im in the forest

UberMario

Smash Master
Yes, some of the typings are legit, but a lot of them make me headdesk.

UberMario, your typings literally make no sense and are only based on the colour of their skin. I doubt you've ever played a Pokemon game in your life.

First off, there is nothing evil about him.
Second off, Dark type in Japan is actually fighting dirty, which is why they have moves like "Surprise Attack" (sucker punch). Simply because a pokemon is of dark skin does not make it dark type. The fighting pokemon with cynder blocks could be dark type on the other hand.

Like I said, I know that it doesn't literally mean dark-skinned, but it also doesn't look like a pokemon I'd want to meet one-on-one

This pokemon has large parts of its body made of steel, and you want it to be made something based on the colour of its skin.

http://pokejungle.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/vlippan145343.jpg

The body marks look like scars, and it has a false eye behind it's horn.

This is a sheep. Sheep can not fly, and we have no evidence that this pokemon can fly other than your baseless assumptions that it can.
This typing idea was based mostly off the "winged" pre-evo, and the cottony look to it. BTW, Saying "Sheep can't fly" when it has a cloud [or cotton] on it's back is the equivalent of disproving Gyarados since Eels/Serpents/Whatever can't fly even if it's part Windkite/Windsock

Again, you are a poke-racist. This pokemon is based on hooldums, the first being a baggy pants guy, the 2nd having a mohawk and being Punk. The types you access for it are completely idiotic and are based SOLELY on its colouring, which is not how pokemon are classified.

I'll give you most of that, but it looks more like a stupid chicken with floppy skin than a hoodlum.

Lolita =/= goth, and humonoid pokemon who are not martial artist are given the psychic type.
Not true. A type o Lolita is called "Gothic Lolita". Look it up.

There is no reason to call this a figthing pokemon whatsoever. None, notta. You are just pulling up fantasy typings now.
Those arms look like they can pack a wallop

This is based on old golems which are made of the earth, not of steel.
That doesn't disprove the fact it has gold braces and a metallic plate on it's chest. It also looks highly robotic.
My comments are in yellow.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Wasnt Spire the one who RAGED over people over reacting and hating the next "gen" in games?

Hipocracy is fun :bee:

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'm not mentioning anything, but I will say that I didn't import it :p

I'll mention any cool things I find out in this thread.

Serebii says your stuck at lv5 until the "tutorial section" is done, which is the first couple towns.

I picked a Smugleaf for this playthrough and am playing Black version. Reason being because I ultimately want to do White version with a Pignition but I'll wait for the legit Eng release to do that.

edit: Serebii says they should have a full 'dex up by this weekend. That's insane... go them!

UberMario

Smash Master
edit: wtf when do i start gaining experience. my smugleaf isnt getting exp from wild battles and im in the forest
You don't. That's the anti-piracy Game Freak put in. They hate pirates more than virtually any game company out there (and rightfully so, since their games are the most pirated of all-time). They even purposely coded this into Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen for those emulating:

That's how bad they hate emulation.

Top Bottom