• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PokeCenter Tournament Discussions - NOT A ****ING QUEUE

ss118

Smash Master
I don't give a **** about 3rd gen. ._.'

if you are talking about the 248 HP, 56 EVs in all stats hardy nature thing I suggested from waaaaaaaaay back, I figured how flawed it was when Tyranitar barely OHKOed Blissey with SE when he didn't even have a boosting item... 70 defense would do that.

Much better than that.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Looks like we finally have mods backing this thread.

Good ****.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Because of the situation, ChiboSempai's Tournament will take precedence on the queue over Articanus' because technically, ChiboSempai "requested" first.

M.K

Level 55
Hey guys.

Like I've stated in the Snorlax Room and to some members, the stuff that you guys are disagreeing about doesn't necessarily have a "Right/Wrong' in terms of what mods can do for you guys. It's really up to the community to come to terms in a mature decision in the most polite way possible.

Let's also think about it like this: this argument is simply a trivial matter. Imagine how much better everything can be if we just move forward from this trifling matter and continue to host tournaments on a queue. Gates, would you at all be willing to decrease the blacklist "time", or consider an alternative? (a.k.a, sitting out for 2 tournaments on the queue, etc.). To those opposing, it can be understood Gates' motives when many tournaments fail due to lack of participation.

All it takes is a consensus, something that both can be happy with. Please try and work this out, because it's just further holding us back from progressing in the community. I know you guys can do it in a mature way, I hope you can work something out, but let's try and work through this. :)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't give a **** about 3rd gen. ._.'

if you are talking about the 248 HP, 56 EVs in all stats hardy nature thing I suggested from waaaaaaaaay back, I figured how flawed it was when Tyranitar barely OHKOed Blissey with SE when he didn't even have a boosting item... 70 defense would do that.

Much better than that.
Nah, I just remember one of those odd Poke Center tournaments being the only one I participated in involving using only 2nd Gen Pokémon, OU + one Uber, running on modern 4th Gen mechanics. I eventually won by concession because we both knew that the only possibility for either player winning was an eventual PP stall, and I still had my Rest Suicune to Pressure with.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Gates, would you at all be willing to decrease the blacklist "time", or consider an alternative? (a.k.a, sitting out for 2 tournaments on the queue, etc.). To those opposing, it can be understood Gates' motives when many tournaments fail due to lack of participation.
Blacklist doesn't need to be changed. Blacklists are just recommendations, just lists of people that have messed up in the past and you want to be cautious about in the future. No need to change it considering people will ignore what parts of it they feel like anywhoo.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I think it should be up to the TO to decide who is on their blacklist as long as they have good reasoning. Say Terry get's his tourney up and running now that Spire is shutting down Chibio's, it should be up to Terry if he want's to let some of Gates blacklisted people in or not.

As for general blacklisting, I think it should just be you can not enter the next tournament after the one you just missed without good reasoning.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Gates, would you at all be willing to decrease the blacklist "time", or consider an alternative? (a.k.a, sitting out for 2 tournaments on the queue, etc.).
Not really. I think the way it is right now is fine. 3 months is basically sitting out 2 tournaments anyway, and we need a way to punish repeat offenders.

Blacklist doesn't need to be changed. Blacklists are just recommendations, just lists of people that have messed up in the past and you want to be cautious about in the future. No need to change it considering people will ignore what parts of it they feel like anywhoo.
Ulti, I would love to see you drive.

"Stop signs are recommendations, just places where people may meet in their cars and you want to be cautious there. No need to stop there considering people will go whenever they feel like anywhooo."

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I think it should be up to the TO to decide who is on their blacklist as long as they have good reasoning. Say Terry get's his tourney up and running now that Spire is shutting down Chibio's, it should be up to Terry if he want's to let some of Gates blacklisted people in or not.

As for general blacklisting, I think it should just be you can not enter the next tournament after the one you just missed without good reasoning.
These. As far as the community is concerned, there will never be an official blacklist for tournaments. Blacklists are warnings of previous participants who had failed to uphold their activity and did not complete their match.

And my tournament will run as Ubers Cup II approaches semifinals.

M.K

Level 55
Okay, so we've kept a list of players who have, in some way or another, contributed to the inefficiency of a tournament.
Is everyone willing to take the blacklist as a GUIDELINE rather than a RULE?

In Decisive Games, we have the exact same kind of thing going on. People can say "You are blacklisted from MY Mafia Games", but they can join the next ones (or another person's) if they somehow prove themselves to be capable of completing something through.

So, it's a guideline rather than a rule. Kind of like a "watch out for these people", but not that harsh. Can everyone agree with this?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Okay, so we've kept a list of players who have, in some way or another, contributed to the inefficiency of a tournament.
Is everyone willing to take the blacklist as a GUIDELINE rather than a RULE?

In Decisive Games, we have the exact same kind of thing going on. People can say "You are blacklisted from MY Mafia Games", but they can join the next ones (or another person's) if they somehow prove themselves to be capable of completing something through.

So, it's a guideline rather than a rule. Kind of like a "watch out for these people", but not that harsh. Can everyone agree with this?
97% of the community already has, haha. So I think we're all set.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I like how Gates counts for 3% of this community.

It should be less.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
The main issue today wasn't blacklists. You can tell. It was Chibo abruptly hosting a tournament.
It was a big issue this past week or so.

Also, the rule that I'm allowed to abruptly host tournaments should be in the first post, so everyone knows

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
It was a big issue this past week or so.

Also, the rule that I'm allowed to abruptly host tournaments should be in the first post, so everyone knows
An "issue" which was resolved without the needs of a Moderator isn't really that serious.

Okay, I'll go edit that in.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I like how Gates counts for 3% of this community.

It should be less.
OH GO **** YOURSELF YOU *******.

Ulti, all you ever do is ***** and ***** and ***** and you've never contributed anything of your own. Why don't YOU try running a tournament or doing something constructive for the PC for once and then see how hard it is when people second guess you at every turn. It's been hard on Wave, it's been hard on Tery, and it's been hard on me.

So you made the DW analysis. So what? Any moron with half a brain can tell you what the most common sets are and the PO server keeps track of their statistics anyway. That whole process would take about an hour, and most of that would just be the time it takes to type it all out since it would take maybe 5 seconds to think of each set. You also have absolutely no commentary on any of the sets whatsoever, which leaves people wondering why they should go with BulkyTar instead of ScarfTar or how much of a threat Doryuzuu really is. Some sets are even completely missing - Where is SubCMShandera? Is its ability to take out 3 or more pokemon on a team just because an opponent used a choice fighting move not relevant anymore? You only did this because "Smogon was taking too long", but really it's only been within the past month or two that the metagame has stabilized anyway.

Why don't you try and do something important with your life.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Lol @ Gates freaking out about my post.

Also BTW SubCM Shandera sucks and never actually works against a good team. Just sayin. I was also going to add descriptions at some point, just not on release. I wanted to get the list out there period.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
We DO have simultaneous tournies. We're just only going as far as to run two at a time, we're also being smart and not starting them at the same time; and keeping them paced out.

We're handling it as well as we can.
Time I spent as Mafia game host every day:
4-5 hours
Time I spend as a Pokemon tournament host every day:
5 minutes

Time I spent on Pokemon tournaments each week:
1 hour
Time I spend on Mafia games each week:
20-30 hours

Number of posts in NROAOF:
Number of posts in the last Mafia game I played:

Number of days NROAOF has been active:
Number of (real life) days the last Mafia game I played was active:

Posts per day in NROAOF:
Posts per (real life) day in my last Mafia game:

Mafia is not even close to a good comparison to our tournaments. We don't need a queue. We aren't five-year olds.

M.K

Level 55
A queue is a good organizational tool. It prevents any sort of overflow of tournaments.

However, I'm still open to the idea that multiple (up to 2 or 3) tournaments can run at a single time, just like Mafia games. With Wave's analysis, it should be easier than doing simultaneous mafia games. As he said, it takes a lot more time/effort in a mafia game than a battle in a Pokemon tournament.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
The UU tournament did not get past the second page. And the other...I don't even remember, if that serves as proof of what happened to it. We've done it before that, too IIRC. Again, if people are fine, then it's fine.
It's a ****ing UU tournament, we have three, maybe four UU players in the PC. Lack of activity is expected.

A queue is a good organizational tool. It prevents any sort of overflow of tournaments.
Personally, I don't think an overflow of tournaments is really an issue.

M.K

Level 55
LOL I was considering editing in that....but then I was like "someone's gonna say it anyways".

Yeah, there isn't exactly an overflow right now, but if we were able to get some type of nice system going, there might be in the future. It's good to plan for stuff like that, methinks.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I don't mind if Chibo wants to run his tourney.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I said that already.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
The queue is community agreed to begin with, that's sort of how it got started. Speeding it up is mod power time.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
The queue is community agreed to begin with, that's sort of how it got started. Speeding it up is mod power time.
I never agreed with it. Also, it wasn't official until Spire said so today.

We're probably at the balance as is.

Two tournies can be hosted at once, as long as at least one of them is half over before the other begins.
No one is forcing you to participate in two tournaments simultaneously.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
We don't have enough people to host two tournies without simultaneous participation.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
We don't have enough people to host two tournies without simultaneous participation.
Which obviously brings us back to the fact that we don't have enough prospective tournament to make a queue necessary.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "prospective tournament"

M.K

Level 55
He means that not alot of people are trying to host tournaments, so the idea of a queue is moot if there's nobody in it.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
That's an excellent point.

I know I'm never going to host a tournament here again.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
We had like 8 people left in the queue before we ran out of time last Gen and dumped the whole thing for Gen V. That's absolute BS. It might take a bit but it'll build up.

Just sayin, I'm planning to host a tourney here, but that'll be in the FAR future. Maybe April or something, possibly even later. Maybe even in the summer if it takes that long.

Top Bottom