• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Just to give all of you a heads-up, Pokemon Trainer as we know him may be cut in favor of Charizard returning as an independent fighter.

It was within the realm of possibility before the Mega Evolution reveals, and it is even more so now.
IT HAPPENED.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
Here's hoping for Squirtle and Ivysaur's inclusion as well.

Squirtle was my favorite. At least charizard make it back, instead of the whole set of Trainer's being removed.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Squirtle was the only G among PT's arsenal. I mean how could you not LOVE SQUIRTLE?

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I wanted to see the trainer make an appearance at least...only way I can see the trainer himself being in the game is as a trophy now. :/

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I have to say Squirtle and Ivysaurs inclusion seems very doubtful now......especially Ivysaur. The only thing Ivysaur had going for him really was being a part of Pokemon Trainer and being the middle evos to Squirtles starter and Charizards final.

Without that Ivysaur is up the creek without a paddle. Squirtle might not fare much better now that Greninja is on the scene.

and that's even before considering Jigglypuff and Mewtwo.

It does make me sad, Squirtle was my favourite of the three.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Sorry Squirtle/Ivy fans. Gotta be realistic here Zard is what made PT so popular, and even though those 2 aren't deconfirmed yet there's no way they will get in over Jiggs/Mewtwo.

I loved maining PT in Brawl but the more I played soloZard in PM the more I wanted Zard as his own character for Smash 4, and lone behold it actually happened.

Regardless I'm gonna miss Red/Squirtle/Ivy. They will remain with Zard in spirit.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
. . . They cut the main character from Pokémon. . .
*sigh*
My main from Melee was cut, and now my Brawl main is cut. This is indeed terrible news for me. . .
However, I'm glad to see Charizard back.

R.I.P Pokémon Trainer

schavira

Smash Journeyman
Squirtle/Ivysaur are over, sadly. Sorry. Squirtle was my favorite Brawl newcomer. : /

Last edited:

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Red could be a fighter and have assistance from squirtle and ivysaur in one moveset sorta like Rosalina and Luma. Or they could be separate characters.
Only thing pretty much ruled out is the switching out mechanic.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Goodbye old friends...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Holy Universe I feel like I am about to Implode

I was psyched this whole direct, everything was coming true.
Nintendo competitive gaming means
Upped Online Battles
Masterballs
Improved Yoshi
Adventurous modes to play and fight in
Personalized Characters

And.... then...the worst thing in the world of smash happened
They showed no more pokemon trainer, my favorite character, the one that was the true shock character of the entire smash series, the one who made full sense to be in, changing the entire dynamic of what a character is, the 'oh duh, the character you play as the entire series, starter pokemons.

And above all, my favorite pokemon playable. Something I never imagined in my wildest dreams. The game with brilliant music ads in 99 which I wrote short stories about, the game that grew my love for Nintendo and turned me into a fanboy, the game that gave me another universe to escape into with daily updates and hope as I watched my fathers health decay...

Removed my love
My soul mate
My truth

My Squirtle.

Rest In Peace buddy. I won't ever stop crying.

Cheesedork

Smash Apprentice
On the bright side, if they ever have DLC characters, Squirtle and Ivysaur would be shoo ins.
Along with Roy, Mewtwo/Jigglypuff, Ike, Lucas, whoever happens to get cut.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
On the bright side, if they ever have DLC characters, Squirtle and Ivysaur would be shoo ins.
Along with Roy, Mewtwo/Jigglypuff, Ike, Lucas, whoever happens to get cut.
I guess I just dont agree. Sakurai wants a complete game at launch. If he cuts someone, I just dont see them being available without a huge uproar.
I mean, until an hour ago, I'd have scoffed at Roy being downloadable, and found it unnecessary. If they are cut, they are for a reason.
Do I understand it... yes. They cannot have a ton of Pokemon, need to pick an eclectic collection, cannot have Pokemon Trainer for the good of the game (need individual characters, its going to be a competition geared game, and that is overall amazing for the series, and for Nintendo especially. This game will be taken seriously). But... I feel like my pet died. Squirtle, even Ivysaur, had such personality, were so cute, had so much potential.

And I already hated f^*%!#& Charizard. This doesn't help.
And now... they're just all Pokemon for Pokemon.
Ranger is out of the question I'm sure.
Any other creative rep
Just, Pokemon.... it just doesnt seem to balance it out.

On the plus side, if popularity IS apparently so important,
and two character slots were cut....

But agh, I do hope they will be Downloadable. I mean, ... I mean... I truly loved them. I've never experienced the death of a beloved character. Is this how others I laughed at felt about Dumbledore?

He murdered them. And I never thought I'd be the victim of the loss. I didn't care who was cut for others' sakes.

I just want a ton of cuts now. Screw Falco, Jigglypuff, so many others.
I hope Greninja and Lucario are cut next game. Let's just add a ton of blue digitigrade Ninja pokemon. That's all that matters. I am truly annoyed with Game Freak, for screwing blastoise (though finally its not the fire starter they show all the love with competitively), and for the fans for having terrible taste.

Okay, I do like Greninja. And even Lucario. They do feel like people.

Uugh. I'm so, so, so torn.

Seriously, TOON LINK is more important? What the hell?

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
It would be awesome if the final roster contained Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, Greninja, Jigglypuff, Squirtle and Mewtwo. 7 reps.. overkill? Who knows...

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
It would be awesome if the final roster contained Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, Greninja, Jigglypuff, Squirtle and Mewtwo. 7 reps.. overkill? Who knows...
2 water type starts... Not gonna happen.

I think it's best if the Squirtile/Ivy crowd simply moved on. This game will feature TONS of characters. You guys will inevitably find another to main to enjoy.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9

I think it's best if the Squirtile/Ivy crowd simply moved on. This game will feature TONS of characters. You guys will inevitably find another to main to enjoy.
Haha, I just mean, everything from this game so far has been super unexpected, so you never know what to expect. I do like Squirtle's moveset, but I will probably still main Zamus.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sakurai is truly a master of surprises... for the better or for the worse.

I'm not going to pretend like this doesn't slice PT's chances to almost nothing... but he did introduce Charizard as a character of his own... who's to say Sakurai won't re-introduce Pokemon Trainer as a character of his own as well?

Just imagine if his way of using pokemon is no longer limited to switching between 3, but summoning up to 6, similar to how Zelda summons the Phantom Knight.
I could definitely settle for that.

Seeing Charizard on his own is extremely underwhelming. Will I get over it? Well, I have plenty other characters to go to. But it's just sad, to think that the ONLY Nintendo character that made me happy in Brawl is cut.

PT is far too important to the series to simply toss away. I KNOW there must be another way of making him a playable fighter.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

One day, I swear, I will devour your first born.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think you might need to go outside and blow off some steam or something... You're taking this a bit too seriously.
I iz not over reaktinggggg@@2234roqihrgjha;dfh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!11!!1!!112

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
As much as I loved Pokémon Trainer idea back in Brawl (especially because of Squirtle and Ivysaur - I never was found with Charizard really) I have to admit that their posibilities to return are next to nothing. There's a fact that pretty much kills any chance (for Ivysaur, at least): thether recoverys are gone. 2/3 of Brawl's characters that used to recover via this method got a completely different Special Move. This and the fact that there will be no more changable characters suggests that there's no way for Pokémon Trainer and his Pokémon to adapt this new reality in the Smash Bros. series.

R.I.P. Red, Squirtle and Ivysaur.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
I think you might need to go outside and blow off some steam or something... You're taking this a bit too seriously.
You wouldn't be saying this if your precious Charizard was cut now would you? So many people would be peeved because they're taking it "too seriously".

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
You wouldn't be saying this if your precious Charizard was cut now would you? So many people would be peeved because they're taking it "too seriously".
If Zard was cut I was more than willing to main Wii Fit Trainer (and still am).

Regardless I never play characters based on my affinity for them (LoZ is one of my favorite series and I loathe using Link/Zelda). I just play who I enjoy using the most from a gameplay perspective, and that just happened to be a character I have a strong affinity for in Brawl/Project M. Even if Zard was cut I know I wouldn't have an issue finding another main I could enjoy.

Just gotta focus on what we have instead of what we don't, ya know?

But I will miss Squirtle and Ivy I enjoyed using them in Brawl.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Without PT, I'm pretty much done with anything Pokemon related. :p
Not going to hold on to hope, but at least we got Pokemon Origins as a sorta farewell gift.

Just for fun, if PT did have Pokemon summons, here's what I'd love for him to have:
Squirtle, Charmander, Bulbasaur, Scyther, Gengar, Dodrio.

And of course, the mandatory Final Smash where he plays the Poke Flute, and an angry Snorlax rampages in. :p

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Without PT, I'm pretty much done with anything Pokemon related. :p
Not going to hold on to hope, but at least we got Pokemon Origins as a sorta farewell gift.
I must agree. It seems hope of an original pokemon type of character is lost, too.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I must agree. It seems hope of an original pokemon type of character is lost, too.
Not to be grasping at straws or anything, but a lot of pokemon were shown in Greninja's trailer, and Squirtle/Ivysaur (or any other pokemon from their lineage) were not shown there. Which means there IS still hope for them to appear reworked somehow.

Again, not crossing my fingers, but still slighty optimistic. :)

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
I really like the new Pokemon, but cutting Squirtle for the sake of adding Greninja was not the way to go.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
I still think Pokemon Trainer could happen. Its just not going to be the same. I said it above that he could be on the battlefield and have both pokemon out. Typical matches he'd be facing up to three opponents, and double battles and triple battles are a thing in pokemon games. I'll still hold out hope...even if it doesn't seem too likely.

I would also just accepts Red + a ditto who transforms into squirtle and ivysaur for a few attacks.

schavira

Smash Journeyman
Pokémon Trainer is gone. There is no way it is getting back in, and there is no way it is taking the place of Jigglypuff. Move on. Pokémon Trainer was the most fun Brawl newcomer but this is a new game.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
For all you people complaining about Squirtle and Ivysaur, and trying to retain some hope for the return of Pokémon Trainer, did you even watch the Direct? Sakurai said IN THE DIRECT that he wants each character to stick to 1 play style. It's the same reason Samus/Zamus and Zelda/Sheik were split up, so no, Pokémon Trainer is not coming back.

As for the numbers, who knows, maybe Squirtle and Ivysaur will return in place of Jigglypuff. But as she's been in the game since the beginning, and they only showed up as part of a team in the most recent one.....

Well, what do you think the odds are? On the bright side, Puff is a Kirby semi-clone. Perhaps not all is lost.

schavira

Smash Journeyman
Squirtle or Ivysaur is not replacing Jigglypuff. And they definitely do not have priority over Mewtwo. Squirtle would be more likely than Ivysaur, but neither is happening. Give up, I am sorry. I really wanted Squirtle in but it is just not happening.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
well that's pretty much a nail in the coffin. I suppose I could support Squirtle as a singular character now but with 4 poke reps and 2 much stronger contenders, I don't see it happening. Either way I got my answer so I'm taking a break from these boards for the next few months. Have fun speculating folks.

Edit: Oh what am I kidding, I can't fool myself. I may be frustrated but I'm still looking forward to this game. I'm not leaving just yet. Lets just hope, Squirtle and Ivy somehow make it in, even if it's through DLC.

Last edited:

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
thether recoverys are gone.
What? I don't remember this being confirmed anywhere. They'd have to be crazy to remove that.

Squirtle would be more likely than Ivysaur, but neither is happening.
Why is Squirtle more likely than Ivysaur? We just got a fast water type, why would they choose Squirtle over a midweight grass type which would bring more variety to the Pokemon reps?

Last edited:

schavira

Smash Journeyman
What? I don't remember this being confirmed anywhere. They'd have to be crazy to remove that.

Why is Squirtle more likely than Ivysaur? We just got a fast water type, why would they choose Squirtle over a midweight grass type which would bring more variety to the Pokemon reps?
Because Squirtle is infinitely more popular and stands on two legs, and they are more likely to include a basic Pokémon than a mid-evolution.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
The reason why in game transformation was taken out was because the transformations were read from the disk's info hence why it takes like 4 seconds. Sakurai, claiming to want to balance the game, finally took it out. Now, as long as Squirtle comes back....

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Hmm... we are all so sure Jigglypuff is in the game, eh? I don't think being in the original 12 mean sh*t if you are irrelevant now.
I'm still hoping... Greninja really just made it seem impossible. I'm not optimistic about this, but at least I will know by summer.
Which I DO hope means June 17.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
No I'm sorry I think greninja is replacing squirtle and ivysaur is getting replaced by mewtwo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom