• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelia

Smash Champion
So the Pokemon: Origins special just finished. And -

IT'S A FIRE/DRAGON

NINTENDO 64

Medaka444

Smash Apprentice
If there was no stamina or elemental weakness mechanic, I wonder what tier rank PT would be at. Actually, in that case, we'd be talking about the tier rankings of Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard.

I still expect Trainer to get in. It's too great a character concept to pass up.

MasteRMerF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasteRMerF
3DS FC
5000-2607-1297
So with Charizard getting two Mega Evolutions, I've been seeing people saying he should be his own character. What do you Smashboards folks think about that? I'd be alright with it, but I feel like he'd just return with Squirtle and Ivysaur.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Just to give all of you a heads-up, Pokemon Trainer as we know him may be cut in favor of Charizard returning as an independent fighter.

It was within the realm of possibility before the Mega Evolution reveals, and it is even more so now.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
3 Charizards instead of the classic trio? Nah, I don't like that. Not to mention I don't find it AS likely either.

Will they be clones of Charizard? Will they be Final Smash transforms? Will there be TWO Final Smashes per character, or will it be Charizard exclusive?

I think it's more likely that Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard get their own Final Smashes instead of sharing the same one. (Unless the Final Smash is a new stronger Pokemon that can only be used then, similar to Warioman or Gigabowser)

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I was in no way talking about a composite character that consisted of three Charizards! That would just be silly.

Morbi

Scavenger
Just to give all of you a heads-up, Pokemon Trainer as we know him may be cut in favor of Charizard returning as an independent fighter.

It was within the realm of possibility before the Mega Evolution reveals, and it is even more so now.
That is what I am hoping. Although, I also want him to receive some necessary buffs. I played him yesterday and encountered 2 hit box issues right off the bat. Maybe if he spends more time on Charizard I wouldn't hate playing as him so much.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
After the mega-evo's, I think the classic trio is shoo-in.

I think that each pokémon will get its own Final Smash now.

Or Sakurai could be lazy and we get Brawl PT again, with necessary balance buffs of course.

Morbi

Scavenger
After the mega-evo's, I think the classic trio is shoo-in.

I think that each pokémon will get its own Final Smash now.

Or Sakurai could be lazy and we get Brawl PT again, with necessary balance buffs of course.
I think they will still have Triple Finish (so wrong) just like Zelda/Sheik might still have the light arrow. I don't think Sora Ltd. is too interested in giving them new Final Smashes because you can switch them at will. I am mostly hoping that he gives Falco/Wolf or Lucas/Ness a new Final Smash before he gives each Kanto starter a Final Smash.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think they will still have Triple Finish (so wrong) just like Zelda/Sheik might still have the light arrow. I don't think Sora Ltd. is too interested in giving them new Final Smashes because you can switch them at will. I am mostly hoping that he gives Falco/Wolf or Lucas/Ness a new Final Smash before he gives each Kanto starter a Final Smash.
I can agree with this. Though of course, my most wanted FS for PT is for him to switch into a stronger Pokemon to use as FS. I can settle if said FS works like the Pokeball item, except with Legendaries only.

But yeah, the semi clones need their own FS first, definitely.

--

I was in no way talking about a composite character that consisted of three Charizards! That would just be silly.
Ah ok sorry about that. XD

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sorry for the double post.
Just felt like bumping some discussion.

So far, as far as veteran characters go we got:
Mario
Link
Donkey Kong
Samus
Kirby
Pikachu
Pit
Fox
Bowser
+
Luigi
Peach
Toon Link
Sonic

13 confirmed, from which only BOWSER, and Pit to some extent, have received alterations in movesets.

I think it's almost safe to say that Pokemon Trainer won't change except a few moves for his Pokemon.
2-3 days... the wait is getting me impatient.

The only thing that worries me that RED might get changed for a new trainer is that advertising line at the end of "ad-characters"

-Want to know more about Luigi? Go to (Mario and Luigi Dream Team site link here)
-Want to know more about Olimar and Pikmin? Go to (Pikmin 3 site link here)
-Want to know more about Toon Link? Go to (WW HD site link here)
-Want to know about Sonic?......
ETC

Unless they say something like: "Want to know more about being a Pokemon Trainer?"

D

Deleted member

Red wasn't the latest Trainer during Brawl's development, yet he was the Trainer used, not Brendan/May (due to Emerald) or Lucas/Dawn (Diamond and Pearl coming up).

Don't think it matters he's not the latest Trainer used this time either.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Sorry for the double post.
Just felt like bumping some discussion.

So far, as far as veteran characters go we got:
Mario
Link
Donkey Kong
Samus
Kirby
Pikachu
Pit
Fox
Bowser
+
Luigi
Peach
Toon Link
Sonic

13 confirmed, from which only BOWSER, and Pit to some extent, have received alterations in movesets.

I think it's almost safe to say that Pokemon Trainer won't change except a few moves for his Pokemon.
2-3 days... the wait is getting me impatient.

The only thing that worries me that RED might get changed for a new trainer is that advertising line at the end of "ad-characters"

-Want to know more about Luigi? Go to (Mario and Luigi Dream Team site link here)
-Want to know more about Olimar and Pikmin? Go to (Pikmin 3 site link here)
-Want to know more about Toon Link? Go to (WW HD site link here)
-Want to know about Sonic?......
ETC

Unless they say something like: "Want to know more about being a Pokemon Trainer?"

You forgot Olimar.

NitrusVirus

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-6571-8413
Heres what Id like but will never happen: the starters to all be their own characters, in their final evolutions. So Blastoise, Venusaur, and Charizard all as their own characters. On top of this, give them all an FS powerup form where they are their Mega iterations for a limited time.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Heres what Id like but will never happen: the starters to all be their own characters, in their final evolutions. So Blastoise, Venusaur, and Charizard all as their own characters. On top of this, give them all an FS powerup form where they are their Mega iterations for a limited time.
has anyone thought of red being an independent character? it's an interesting concept, but we probably won't see it in smash outside maybe Project Melee.

grizby2

Smash Lord
don't the starter pokemon get the "pledge" moves?
since those are meant to be used in double/triple battles. maybe we can see those?

So with Charizard getting two Mega Evolutions, I've been seeing people saying he should be his own character. What do you Smashboards folks think about that? I'd be alright with it, but I feel like he'd just return with Squirtle and Ivysaur.
that would be so cool, just cuz I like charizard~
but I think the trio would stay. hard to think of a final smash for charizard ever since they revealed his x and y forms.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Now since Mega Charizard X is black, there's no reason why not to include Charizard's black color, I always wanted Shiny Charizard in Super Smash Bros.

Another thing I'd rather the trainer not change his color scheme, I like Red to stay his default color.

TeamFlareZakk

Charizard is so ****ing awesome man.
Especially Mega Charizard X, I love how you can have a black Charizard and it doesn't even have to be shiny.

I wonder if shiny Mega Charizard X would change color?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think I'll get the Y version, I think I prefer the stats of Mewtwo and Charizard in their Y versions. Though, I do like how X Mewtwo is a dual Fighting type, and the design of X Charizard and it being a Dragon type to... Hard choices, but I think I'll go for Y anyway. I always choose the Red version anyway ^^ (except with Diamond / Pearl, I ain't choosing gay pink Palkia).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So...

How about a female Pokemon Trainer costume?

Fortanono

Smash Ace
I think I'll get the Y version, I think I prefer the stats of Mewtwo and Charizard in their Y versions. Though, I do like how X Mewtwo is a dual Fighting type, and the design of X Charizard and it being a Dragon type to... Hard choices, but I think I'll go for Y anyway. I always choose the Red version anyway ^^ (except with Diamond / Pearl, I ain't choosing gay pink Palkia).
Why did you have to say this? There's nothing wrong with being gay, it isn't an insult, and there is nothing wrong with liking pink.

Anyway, Ivysaur is my main in Brawl, so I hope he returns, but I wouldn't care if he gets replaced with May or Dawn.

TeamFlareZakk

I wouldn't mind seeing Leaf a costume, although I like Yvonne/Serena, but then again, Leaf is rather similar so I don't see why not perhaps one of Leafs color schemes wouldn't be Yvonne/Serena.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731

I don't think The Mega evolutions should tie in with PT. He's already got enough gimmick to go off of before shoving a mega evolution or two in there. It would be much better be suited for Mewtwo / Lucario assuming one or both gets in. I think once he's been revealed I'll probably take a break from the smash site. I just want to make sure he's there.

MAGRWolfX

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0130-3100-1586
Well since the Male Wii Fit Trainer is here, most likely an alternate costume, Leaf would make a great alt. costume. She's almost as iconic as Red (behind Blue's popularity) and she needs some more time in the spotlight. Plus, with two genders of the Wii Fit Trainer, there will be different voice clips for different costumes, so there's no problem.

riku2bendy

Smash Rookie
NNID
riku2bendy
3DS FC
4253-4680-8187
I think that they should push the new games by adding the final forms of the X and Y starters. Each of them are different in both speed and weight. Would like to see pokemon change moved to the taunts so I'll include both sets.

Down-B: Pokemon Change

Froakie- Fast and relatively light, just like Squirtle but he will be pretty tall.
Neutral-B: Dark Pulse or Bubblebeam. Dark Pulse could be a slow projectile like Wolf's blaster in Project M. Bubblebeam could be either slow or fast.
Side-B: Water Shuriken (signature) rapid fire for like 2-3% per shuriken
Up-B: Bounce -- like D3's but maybe a little more control

Delphox- Kind of like Zelda but uses her stick/staff for attacks.
Neutral-B: Psychic -- like Mewtwo's but better range or knockback instead of stun
Side-B: Mystical Fire (signature) works kinda like Din's fire
Up-B: Fire Pledge or Flame Charge. Fire Pledge could create a pillar that boosts it upwards. Flame Charge could be like Fire Fox, but no charge up time.

Chesnaught- Big Slow and Heavy
Neutral-B: Spiky Shield (signature) Like a Shine or Kirby's stone. When in the shield it acts somewhat like the Unira item from Brawl but can be grabbed out of it.
Side-B: Needle arm -- like Ike's side-B
Up-B: Sadly it kind of has to be Vine Whip, but they could make it more like melee.

Taunt Change

Froakie
Neutral-B: BubbleBeam
Side-B: Water Shuriken
Up-B: Bounce
Down-B: Dark Pulse -- Short range projectile that goes out on both sides, or has a push effect like Ness's PSI Magnet.

Delphox
Neutral-B: Light Screen -- reflector
Side-B: Mystical Fire
Up-B: Fire Pledge or Flame Charge
Down-B: Psychic

Chesnaught
Neutral-B: Bullet Seed -- like Ivysaur, but goes in an arch and can change the angle
Side-B: Needle Arm
Up-B: Vine Whip :(
Down-B: Brick Break -- Grounded - fast chop that can be charged and does good shield damage. Aerial -- downward dive chop kind of like Bowser's or Yoshi's down-Bs. Looks a little like Dante's Helm Breaker from MvC3.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
has anyone thought of red being an independent character? it's an interesting concept, but we probably won't see it in smash outside maybe Project Melee.

No, I think it's a terrible idea. Red never fights his enemies himself in the Pokémon games. And sure, Smash isn't canon but seeing Red KOing say, Ganondorf or Mewtwo by throwing a rock at them or attack them with a fishing rod is FAR MORE weird than anything that happens in Smash. Cause even Pichu is believably more dangerous than Red himself.

Yes, I did think of this before. And even had Charizard, Blastoise and Venusaur as seperate characters on my own 'ideal' prediction roster! I'd absolutely LOVE IT if they would actually separate all the Trainer's Pokémon. Even with an evolution mechanic perhaps? Like, building up from Charmander, Squirtle and Bulbasaur, and evolve by getting KO's, aka 'experience'. Will never happen, but THAT would be the best way to represent Pokémon as a whole.

Oh, and type advantages of course. :p

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
What about this change to Pokemon Trainer?

No stamina. Axe down B; now each of the three get their own down B.

Squirtle changes to Ivysaur at 35 percent, Ivysaur turns to Charizard at 70 percent. And Ivysaur has both a move to reduce damage and a move that has a side-effect of increasing its damage.

theTRUEchamp

Smash Apprentice
I think that they should remove the Pokémon Trainer altogether and have each of the three Pokémon be separate, like with Project M. As far as the Pokémon themselves go, I'd like to them updated to X and Y, maybe Chespin, Braixen, and Greninja.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What about this change to Pokemon Trainer?

No stamina. Axe down B; now each of the three get their own down B.

Squirtle changes to Ivysaur at 35 percent, Ivysaur turns to Charizard at 70 percent. And Ivysaur has both a move to reduce damage and a move that has a side-effect of increasing its damage.
Sounds way too complicated and makes switching the Pokemon seem like a REAL hassle.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
How about this?

Perhaps after selecting Pokeon Trainer, you could click on the Pokemon you want to play as, and by doing that, you'll respawn as the Pokemon you selected if it is KO'd. If you just select PT himself, the Pokemon you start as willl be random, though maybe holding down certain buttons could allow you to start as a specific Pokemon.

The only issue is PT's down-special, I'm not entirely sure what would be the best option to do with it in combination with the above idea.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think that they should remove the Pokémon Trainer altogether and have each of the three Pokémon be separate, like with Project M. As far as the Pokémon themselves go, I'd like to them updated to X and Y, maybe Chespin, Braixen, and Greninja.
The non striked part I agree with.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The non striked part I agree with.
Well I disagree. It's fine in Project M, considering it's a mod. But in a true Smash game, I don't want them wasting character slots.
Pokemon Trainer represents the series really well. Cutting him in favor of his own Pokemon is pushing it a little.
And not to mention it may get in the way of Lucario, Jigglypuff, or even Mewtwo!
So tell me again, do you want 3 separate slots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom