• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I love how all the Pokemon reps are getting new things in their favor considering they're the ones people tend to be uncertain about a lot.

Jiggs gets fleshed out for the new fairy type.
Lucario reappears in the anime(beats Pikachu) and has a Mega Evolution
Mewtwo gets a new movie and a Mega Evolution
Pikachu...no comment needed
Pokemon Trainer gets his own show, Charizard also reappears in the current anime and confirmed to reappear in the new one.

It's looking good for the Poke crew.:cool:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I love how all the Pokemon reps are getting new things in their favor considering they're the ones people tend to be uncertain about a lot.

Pokemon Trainer gets his own show, Charizard also reappears in the current anime and confirmed to reappear in the new one.

Yeah, I'm really expecting all of them to make it now. The Pokémon Company loves utilizing their Smash Bros mascots it seems, which is a rather smart move by them.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord

Its also good to note Pokemon has been one of the most repped series even from the beginning (Mewtwo was planned for smash 64 and Pokemon and Mario were the only series to get 2 fighters) so either sakurai likes them or he understands how popular the franchise is. Remember Game freak/pokemon company has a lot of day on who gets added.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
so this special is to be shown at the same time as pokemon x and Y's release. Considering the char reveals up to this point, I wonder if this means anything for a poss PT reveal come october.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
so this special is to be shown at the same time as pokemon x and Y's release. Considering the char reveals up to this point, I wonder if this means anything for a poss PT reveal come october.
Or sooner since I heard Sakurai is attending the Pokemon Game show right now.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Or sooner since I heard Sakurai is attending the Pokemon Game show right now.

Right NOW?

*goosebumps*

Hype is attacking. A winner is hype.

QUESTION TIME:

If the next NEWCOMER is Pokemon related, does that put that leaker's word back on the table? Or is it still ruined by Luigi's reveal?

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Right NOW?

*goosebumps*

Hype is attacking. A winner is hype.

QUESTION TIME:

If the next NEWCOMER is Pokemon related, does that put that leaker's word back on the table? Or is it still ruined by Luigi's reveal?
Not sure. It depends on if luigi was planned all along or they did that short notice (Luigi looks a bit rough around the edges still.) But to be honest I doubt leakers at this point and time know anything at all.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
but in a 3 life stock match they have an advantage on you.
True....oh well. Guess it wouldn't work.
I know how every one wants a new Pokemon Trainer, but I want the old one, with costume changes for all the starters, except not quite cosmetic. For example, you could have Squirtle, Totodile, Mudkip, Piplup, Oshawott, or that Frog. They have the same moves, but one's faster, one's stronger, etc. etc. etc. Then you could mix and match.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
True....oh well. Guess it wouldn't work.
I know how every one wants a new Pokemon Trainer, but I want the old one, with costume changes for all the starters, except not quite cosmetic. For example, you could have Squirtle, Totodile, Mudkip, Piplup, Oshawott, or that Frog. They have the same moves, but one's faster, one's stronger, etc. etc. etc. Then you could mix and match.
Sakurai has stated he doesn't like making alternates for costumes because it takes away from what makes each character special. I hope the old Pokemon trainer is still in. I mean he gives us 3 pokemon spots of 3 loved characters.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Hearing Sakurai was attending the Pokemon Game Show was exciting to hear. Is it too late in the day now for him to announce something?

Sakurai has stated he doesn't like making alternates for costumes because it takes away from what makes each character special. I hope the old Pokemon trainer is still in. I mean he gives us 3 pokemon spots of 3 loved characters.
It's either Red or bust for me. No other player character holds a candle to him in terms of importance to the series -

1. He's the series original protagonist
2. He's the final boss of the Johto games.
3. He appears in three different generations, five if you count the remakes. He's the only player character to appear in multiple generations not counting remakes.
4. Ash is based on him
5. A new Pokemon anime based around him has just been announced
6. He was in Brawl (albeit without his actual name).

Bring back Red and this time call him by his actual name, Sakurai. The Pokemon Trainer's official name is 'Red' everywhere other than Brawl, it makes no sense that Brawl doesn't use it.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Hearing Sakurai was attending the Pokemon Game Show was exciting to hear. Is it too late in the day now for him to announce something?

It's either Red or bust for me. No other player character holds a candle to him in terms of importance to the series -

3. He appears in three different generations, five if you count the remakes. He's the only player character to appear in multiple generations not counting remakes.
4. Ash is based on him

Bring back Red and this time call him by his actual name, Sakurai. The Pokemon Trainer's official name is 'Red' everywhere other than Brawl, it makes no sense that Brawl doesn't use it.
It's not that it's too late in the day, but it's only Mondays-Fridays when they update the dojo.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044

4. Ash is based on him

OMG ive finally found someone who feels the exact same way!!!! god bless you sir!
but yes Red has to stay this time around, he was, hands down, my favorite newcomer in brawl! I also wouldn't mind if all 3 of his starters were fully evolved this time around. (I believe Sakurai said that he was initially thinking of having him that way at some point)

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
OMG ive finally found someone who feels the exact same way!!!! god bless you sir!
but yes Red has to stay this time around, he was, hands down, my favorite newcomer in brawl! I also wouldn't mind if all 3 of his starters were fully evolved this time around. (I believe Sakurai said that he was initially thinking of having him that way at some point)
Venesaur would be Zeta-awkward to play as. So big and clunky and it'd move weird and....

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
It's not that it's too late in the day, but it's only Mondays-Fridays when they update the dojo.
I interpreted Sakurai being at the show as him making an announcement in person there, I'm just wondering if it's too late for that now and the show's finished. I'm guessing since the show apparently was for the 17th and 18th of August and now it's the 19th in Japan, it is. However, if it means we're getting a Dojo announcement tomorrow (or today if you're in Japan) in recognition of the recent event, then great!

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
I interpreted Sakurai being at the show as him making an announcement in person there, I'm just wondering if it's too late for that now and the show's finished. I'm guessing since the show apparently was for the 17th and 18th of August and now it's the 19th in Japan, it is. However, if it means we're getting a Dojo announcement tomorrow (or today if you're in Japan) in recognition of the recent event, then great!
I doubt we're getting one. We just got Luigi. And besides, they're probably waiting for October.

peeup

Smash Lord
New Pokemon movie made me think Mewtwo is likely to return. This got me pumped.

New Pokemon anime made me think Pokemon Trainer is likely to return. This got me pumped.

Both Mewtwo and Pokemon Trainer being likely to return makes me think that 2 retro Pokemon characters to rep a series that has more recent potential reps with X and Y is a little bit much. This makes me not as pumped. It seems as though Pokemon Trainer and Mewtwo are probably fighting for the same roster slot.

But then again, seeing as the roster was decided ages ago, I'd say Mewtwo has a bigger chance because his announcement of returning coincided a little better with the roster selection.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Venesaur would be Zeta-awkward to play as. So big and clunky and it'd move weird and....
yeah that could be why he decided to not go with it. I think think Sakurai could find a way to make it work. Or maybe I just feel like Red deserves to have all 3 fully evolved starters =/

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
He was probably my favourite newcomer in Brawl too actually now I think about it, to play as at least. I had the idea of having Red being playable back when we were speculating for Brawl (although the picture of how he'd play in the game was much different to what we got), although nobody thought it'd happen.

Having all three starters fully evolved would suit the Pokemon canon better since he has them in the gen II games, their remakes and Black/White 2, but it's hard to imagine how it'd work (can you really imagine yourself controlling Venusaur?). Plus it's possible Red would become a 'heavy' character instead of mix of light, medium and heavy. It's probably best if he keeps the same Pokemon (that being said I often toy with the idea of Espeon becoming part of his moveset...).

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Would it be way too much to start out with Charmander, Bulbasaur and Squirtle, and as you fight, you get to evolve them, turning them into a heavier/stronger version of themselves with added abilities?

1KO = 1 Evolution.

So basically, in a 3 stock match, you'd only be able to evolve 1 Pokemon to its final form.
Or you can evolve two pokemon to their 2nd forms.... etc.
(And this is optional, naturally, so You'd evolve by mashint Up+Down+Up+Down at any point once said Pokemon KOs another character)

BULBASAUR:
+Lighter and faster than Ivysaur,
+Razor leaf is faster,
-Razor Leaf doesn't stun too much,
-Razor Leaf doesn't cut through things.

IVYSAUR = Same

VENUSAUR =
+Spore attacks have different status effects, such as Stun (ZSS like), Poison (White Pikmin like), Sleep (Jiggs like)
+Razor Leaf is huge and cuts through almost anything.
-Super Heavy
-Worst recovery

SQUIRTLE = Same

WARTORTLE = Same as Squirtle, only heavier/stronger, and water causes damage.

BLASTOISE = A super heavy/slower version of Squirtle, but water deals damage, and has greater aim mobility of the Water Guns. (Lasts twice as long too)

CHARMANDER: Lighter/faster, does not multi jump/glide. Has headbutt instead of Rock Smash (no stone projectiles). Mario's Fire Ball instead of Flamethrower

CHARMELEON: A shorter version of Charizard's flame thrower. Still no multi-jump.

CHARIZARD: Same

It doesn't hurt to dream. :D I just love these starters way too much!

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Would it be way too much to start out with Charmander, Bulbasaur and Squirtle, and as you fight, you get to evolve them, turning them into a heavier/stronger version of themselves with added abilities?

1KO = 1 Evolution.

So basically, in a 3 stock match, you'd only be able to evolve 1 Pokemon to its final form.
(And this is optional, naturally, so You'd evolve by mashint Up+Down+Up+Down at any point once said Pokemon KOs another character)

BULBASAUR:
+Razor leaf is faster,

IVYSAUR = Same

VENUSAUR =
+Spore attacks have different status effects, such as Stun (ZSS like), Poison (White Pikmin like), Sleep (Jiggs like)
-Super Heavy
-Worst recovery

SQUIRTLE = Same

BLASTOISE = A super heavy/slower version of Squirtle, but water deals damage, and has greater aim mobility of the Water Guns. (Lasts twice as long too)

CHARMANDER: Lighter/faster, does not multi jump/glide. Has headbutt instead of Rock Smash (no stone projectiles). Mario's Fire Ball instead of Flamethrower

CHARMELEON: A shorter version of Charizard's flame thrower. Still no multi-jump.

Not a bad idea. But I think you should be able to evolve them all.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord

1KO = 1 Evolution.

BULBASAUR:
+Razor leaf is faster,

IVYSAUR = Same

VENUSAUR =
-Super Heavy
-Worst recovery

SQUIRTLE = Same

A lot of work just for one character.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
He was probably my favourite newcomer in Brawl too actually now I think about it, to play as at least. I had the idea of having Red being playable back when we were speculating for Brawl (although the picture of how he'd play in the game was much different to what we got), although nobody thought it'd happen.

Having all three starters fully evolved would suit the Pokemon canon better since he has them in the gen II games, their remakes and Black/White 2, but it's hard to imagine how it'd work (can you really imagine yourself controlling Venusaur?). Plus it's possible Red would become a 'heavy' character instead of mix of light, medium and heavy. It's probably best if he keeps the same Pokemon (that being said I often toy with the idea of Espeon becoming part of his moveset...).
Yeah trying to imagine playing as Venusaur is really hard to do lol. still I think it could be done. I also remember the pre brawl day of Red support. the day he was confirmed is a day i'll never forget.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yeah trying to imagine playing as Venusaur is really hard to do lol. still I think it could be done. I also remember the pre brawl day of Red support. the day he was confirmed is a day i'll never forget.

Same here. I was late for the party, but right on time just before the awesome reveal. :D

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So hey, you can get all Kanto starters in X & Y, and they're even being used for promotion. I think it's safe to say Pokémon Trainer will come back with the same Pokémons on hand. I'm guessing we'll see him in October if Jigglypuff or Sonic doesn't steal his thunder.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
So hey, you can get all Kanto starters in X & Y, and they're even being used for promotion. I think it's safe to say Pokémon Trainer will come back with the same Pokémons on hand. I'm guessing we'll see him in October if Jigglypuff or Sonic doesn't steal his thunder.
Or a pokemon newcomer. I feel like we are definitely getting a pokemon this october, but I've been wrong before.

MrGamer419

Smash Cadet

Or mewtwo

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Or mewtwo
I can't see it being Mewtwo. I know Mewtwo is a veteran, but not been in Brawl he's virtually a newcomer, and it seems at this early stage in SSB4's build up they don't want to show any newcomers.

I hope Pokemon Trainer (I hate calling him that) is actually acknowledged as being the guy you play as throughout Red/Green/Blue/Yellow/Leaf Green/Fire Red and the guy you fight at the end of the Johto games, even if he isn't called 'Red'. I had a look at his trophy the other day whilst playing Brawl and it annoyed me that the description was just that of what a Pokemon Trainer is rather than some information about the character himself. Hopefully him having an anime based on his adventure will give Sakurai a reason to acknowledge him more as the character Red. On the other hand however I am somewhat worried about him coming back, suggested 3DS limitations and all, I'm concerned at he'll be one of the characters cut because of it - at the moment I'm not too fussy about what he's called or what his trophy says as long as he comes back.

In my opinion him and Pikachu are the two Pokemon characters that must always be in Smash. I see them as joint mascots of the series - Red because he's the original protagonist and Pikachu because of the anime.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm expecting a late Mewtwo reveal to honestly.

Pokémon Trainer might have some tweaks, and with the trouble Sakurai was already facing with Ice Climbers, I doubt he'd have Pokémon Trainer finished yet. So I'm curious what first Pokémon character reveal we'll get. Perhaps we get all the Pokémon at different updates? Squirtle first, Ivysaur second, Charizard last.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hmm.. I don't quite get the Ice Climbers comparison, to be frank.

Working on Ice Climbers is working on ONE character while managing an exact clone of it to mimic the playable one, and get an A.I. of its own. Both must be on screen at once.
Working on Pokemon Trainer is working on three completely different characters, and have an NPC character running in the background in the direction the playable character is at. Only ONE character is out at the time (and an NPC that barely even tries). Not as demanding as tryig to mimic 100% of the moves.

They're completely different things... So I'm not sure why everyone keeps bringing them up as if both pose the exact same problems. I can believe the Ice Climbers issue is why Olimar got reduced to a max of 3 Pikmin on the screen at once... but not PT.
My 2 cents. :p

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Hmm.. I don't quite get the Ice Climbers comparison, to be frank.

Working on Ice Climbers is working on ONE character while managing an exact clone of it to mimic the playable one, and get an A.I. of its own. Both must be on screen at once.
Working on Pokemon Trainer is working on three completely different characters, and have an NPC character running in the background in the direction the playable character is at. Only ONE character is out at the time (and an NPC that barely even tries). Not as demanding as tryig to mimic 100% of the moves.

They're completely different things... So I'm not sure why everyone keeps bringing them up as if both pose the exact same problems. I can believe the Ice Climbers issue is why Olimar got reduced to a max of 3 Pikmin on the screen at once... but not PT.
My 2 cents. :p
Some think that it has to do with several characters on screen at once as well as characters who 'transform' since the model data has to be loaded as they are being played. The Pokemon trainer has both. But we do not know the actual issues they have with characters like the ice climbers so we will have to wait and see.

ShichibukaiJimbe

Smash Apprentice
I think Red will make it and will still have his original roster, the most they can do is to add a second trainer featuring a different generation of starters, but Red will definetly be in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom