• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think your Overgrow idea is pretty good! It's basically what Lucario is in concept for Brawl, except I don't think that he has such an attribute in the Pokemon games, where instead every Grass/Water/Fire starter DO have it.

It would be the PERFECT way to balance it out. Nice catch!

And yeah, when I first saw Ivysaur, I immediately thought of her inducing several status effects such as:
-Dizzying (Mewtwo already did this with disable)
-Flower (Because... come on? I thought that was a call back to Leech Seed when I first saw the Flower Status in Melee).0
-Poison (because it's really not that hard to program, plus Brawl had several ways of representing poison, such as White Pikmon, or the SSE sections that had poison gases (The caverns I think)
-Stun (Zero Suit Samus' paralyzer effects).

It feels like Ivysaur was incomplete. I don't mind if they don't remove the Stamina effect, but at least make Ivy have things to make her equally feared to Squirtle or Charizard. Most people see her as a free KO. :(

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
And yeah, when I first saw Ivysaur, I immediately thought of her inducing several status effects such as:
-Dizzying (Mewtwo already did this with disable)
-Flower (Because... come on? I thought that was a call back to Leech Seed when I first saw the Flower Status in Melee).0
-Poison (because it's really not that hard to program, plus Brawl had several ways of representing poison, such as White Pikmon, or the SSE sections that had poison gases (The caverns I think)
-Stun (Zero Suit Samus' paralyzer effects).

It feels like Ivysaur was incomplete. I don't mind if they don't remove the Stamina effect, but at least make Ivy have things to make her equally feared to Squirtle or Charizard. Most people see her as a free KO. :(
You mean like Project M Ivy, which did all of those. :)

Gosh I love Project M Ivy. I really hope the dev team knows about Project M and recreates Ivy just like they reworked him. I could even live without Seed Bomb if they still transform. It's helpful and awesome, but not essential.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
shinhed-echi said:
I think your Overgrow idea is pretty good! It's basically what Lucario is in concept for Brawl, except I don't think that he has such an attribute in the Pokemon games, where instead every Grass/Water/Fire starter DO have it.

It would be the PERFECT way to balance it out. Nice catch!
Thankyou, though my idea there has nothing to do with the actual overgrow/torrent/blaze mechanics of pokemon, simply using the names 'cos they're convenient.

I think giving Lucario's brawl ability to the pokemon trainer could be majorly broken. That said my suggestion doesn't help Ivysaur as much as the others, so a project M like status inducing Ivysaur would still be nice to have.

MrBigstuff said:
You mean like Project M Ivy, which did all of those. :)

Gosh I love Project M Ivy. I really hope the dev team knows about Project M and recreates Ivy just like they reworked him. I could even live without Seed Bomb if they still transform. It's helpful and awesome, but not essential.
I sadly think Solar Beam would be the move they'd get rid of, because it's in triple finish, which would kinda neuter Project M Ivy... That said I hope they are aware of Project M and find some way to implement at least some of the really good ideas they had in that game.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Maybe I confused the name, but I'm almost 100% that the starter pokemon had an ability that increased their 1st type's power if they were in a pinch.

I don't recall the name of that ability, though...

@Mr.Bigstuff: Yeah! Exactly like PM Ivy!

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Yeah, you're right Overgrow/Torrent/Blaze are those abilities, but what I suggested was more like Flash Fire, Sap Sipper or Storm Drain (and to an extent Lightning Rod for the purposes of balance). Ie. playing as a squirtle you get hit super effective by Grass and Electric, but resist Water and Fire and if you're hit by a Water or Fire move you get a short term buff to your attacks (called torrent, though not because of in game similarity). Ivysaur resists electric, Charizard weak/neutral (weak would work better for balance I think). The electric thing is necessary so it's useful for Ivysaur.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
Ivysaur is a female?

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Yeah, in japan she was voiced by Tomoko Kawakami.

There is however no confirmation of any of PKMN Trainer's Pokemon' genders in Brawl, but given the character's based on Red and given this was released way before B2/W2 then signs point to all of them being male (as in the Johto games).

XtreamDarkRyu

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1375-8318-2992
I don't know if this has been said before because I don't wanna read 7 pages of posts atm but couldn't Sakurai just add Seal effects to the pokeballs when Red changes pokemon? Like when you switch to Charizard and he is released a large flame eminates from the pokeball burning foes just long enough to keep him safe? As for Squirtle maybe a wave of water goes around the pokeball and enemies get caught up in the wave and for Ivysaur a leaf tornado or something surrounds the ball?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sounds good on one hand, but wouldn't that bring a certain advantage to them? I'm sure people will find a way to exploit this as a counter attack move somehow. But... it could work in the end.

You just reminded me how awesome it was to switch Pokemon when playing with items, because say you grab a Metal Box, and it's really hindering you, you switch Pokes and its gone. :D Same with Curry effect, Flower effect, and pretty much almost any effect.

XtreamDarkRyu

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1375-8318-2992
Sounds good on one hand, but wouldn't that bring a certain advantage to them? I'm sure people will find a way to exploit this as a counter attack move somehow. But... it could work in the end.

You just reminded me how awesome it was to switch Pokemon when playing with items, because say you grab a Metal Box, and it's really hindering you, you switch Pokes and its gone. :D Same with Curry effect, Flower effect, and pretty much almost any effect.

I don't see it as an advantage as much as just making their entry safe. I honestly think the pokemon or zelda/sheik shouldn't suffer from something that is a major part of their uniqueness. Red's pokemon already get tired and do less damage. Why should they also be forced to change and take a direct hit with nothing to protect them? Its like giving your opponent a free shot. As for it being used as a counter move, I don't see anything wrong with that. Fox already has his reflector which has way more uses than just reflecting items lol

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I think it would be better to make them invincible for enough time when they get out, but to ensure no one spams this, you have to wait a while before you can switch again.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i dont want pt to return, but i would like the pokemon he had to remain , but separate. give them new down specials,

i really like charizard best out of those 3

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I don't really care what Pokémon the trainer would have, but I want to play as the female trainer.

I'd like to see the 5th gen trainers added, Nate/Rosa or Hilbert/Hilda, either one would work for me.

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
The Pokemon Reps should be
Pikachu ( Most popular Pokemon )
Jigglpuff ( Very Popular Pokemon & Rep's the New Fairy Type in X & Y )
Charizard ( He'll Rep the starters of Pokemon, he's the most popular one )
Mewtwo ( He'll Rep the Legendary Pokemon, hes still voted as one of the most popular Pokemon in general, and he's staring in the new Pokemon Moive )
And the last Pokemon should just be a random pokemon to represent a type that is not playable in the game yet ( Water, Grass, Rock, etc )

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I take it your favourite pokémon games are red and blue?

I like Red, he's a cool concept that has alot of untapped potential.. but.. brawl is already saturated with Gen 1s and with Mewtwo likely coming back with awakening forme it'll likely only be worse in 4U...

Also, why did you post in the Pokémon Trainer thread when your post has nothing to do with the character?

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I want to see Leaf the female counterpart of Red added as a alternate look for the trainer, after all before starting a battle, the choose your character screen needs to ask are you a boy or are you a girl.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't see why we have to get rid of Pokemon Trainer, he was by far one of the most unique inclusions to Brawl, and one of the most important ones too.

Makes no sense to butcher a character for the sake of the ideal about "representing other gens". That's what Pokeballs are for.
Red, aka Pokemon Trainer is more than fine with his starters.

At this point I'm sure Sakurai won't even touch PT, since he's precisely one of the toughest to work with. He's most likely going to be ported with a few tweaks and buffs, and that's it. No time to look for other pokemon to "rep other gens".

Pikachu may be the face of Pokemon, but Red and his 3 Gen 1 starters are what kicked off the whole series.

EDIT: And I agree we should get Leaf as a costume for Red. Maybe they could pitch up his voice a bit so he sounds like a girl when you choose Leaf.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I want to see Leaf the female counterpart of Red added as a alternate look for the trainer, after all before starting a battle, the choose your character screen needs to ask are you a boy or are you a girl.
Maybe it could be like ZSS where you can hold the shield buttons to change to a girl.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
When I read leaf I think of Leif from Fire Emblem :S, as a Manga reader she will always be Blue in my eyes, but yes, she should be an alt costume.

I don't think representing all the Gens should be a priority but I think it sad when people make a list of only Gen 1 Pokémon. Red is the character to start it all, Pikachu is the mascot, Purin is a smash icon for some reason, and Mewtwo makes sense with his awakened form, but Pokémon's come a long way since gen 1, and in my opinion for the better (I can't find enjoyment out of th games pre-physical special split anymore), so it disappoints me that the later games feel left out in smash predictions. I'm not calling for every gen to have a rep, but something would be nice, ya know.

But yes, Pokémon trainer should stay, with all three Pokémon. There are tweaks I'd like to see, like the type system overhaul I've spoken about, and move changes for Ivysaur so he has a more defensive playstyle (with status moves, and perhaps Petal Dance or something for a proper recovery move), but I don't want him split up, or to loose two of his mons, he's red, and he's worth more than just some fire breathing lizard.

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
Im just saying if TP gets cut, Charizard should stay. He's very popular. As for reping other gens, I don't see why it should matter. Pokemon are Pokemon. The most popular ones should be playable. If the most popular ones are all from gen 1 ( And they arn't ) then I don't care if all the reps are from that gen.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Charizard isn't even that good of a fighter. He is a flying type who doesn't even go as high as some double jumpers. Even his Up B sucks. His Neutral B is a clone of Bowser's. His Side B is slow and if you are a decent player, you can dodge it easily. His up B isn't that good either, so yeah. Blaziken can jump the height of buildings, so think of his jumping ability. He is a fire type and a fighting type. He even has his own signature move (blaze kick). Obviously I am a fan of him, but that doesn't mean this is based off because of that. Just seems like a fire fighting would fit better than a fire flying move. But I think that PT will be replaced with 6 gen either way and I think that is better than having one pokemon that isn't a mascot or legendary (Charizard and Blaziken, along with all starters). He is old, and the 6th gen game hasn't come t yet. Pikeachu is a perfect symbol for the first gen and PT needs an upgrade. Anyways, PT shouldn't be replaced with just Charizard and should be replaced with 6th gen Pokemon.

Reznor

work in progress
Charizard isn't even that good of a fighter. He is a flying type who doesn't even go as high as some double jumpers. Even his Up B sucks. His Neutral B is a clone of Bowser's. His Side B is slow and if you are a decent player, you can dodge it easily. His up B isn't that good either, so yeah. Blaziken can jump the height of buildings, so think of his jumping ability. He is a fire type and a fighting type. He even has his own signature move (blaze kick). Obviously I am a fan of him, but that doesn't mean this is based off because of that. Just seems like a fire fighting would fit better than a fire flying move. But I think that PT will be replaced with 6 gen either way and I think that is better than having one pokemon that isn't a mascot or legendary (Charizard and Blaziken, along with all starters). He is old, and the 6th gen game hasn't come t yet. Pikeachu is a perfect symbol for the first gen and PT needs an upgrade. Anyways, PT shouldn't be replaced with just Charizard and should be replaced with 6th gen Pokemon.
why do people think PT will be replaced by the 6th gen one we didn't get a 4th gen PT when brawl came out we got 1st gen so why would 6th gen be different
sick of this 6th gen PT talk :glare:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
why do people think PT will be replaced by the 6th gen one we didn't get a 4th gen PT when brawl came out we got 1st gen so why would 6th gen be different
sick of this 6th gen PT talk :glare:
Why not? A gen 1 Mewtwo was replaced by a Lucario. What makes PT so different?

Reznor

work in progress
Mewtwo was going to be in brawl but time restraints (or something like that I forget but he does have data in the game)
Lucario did not replace Mewtwo

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Mewtwo wasn't portrayed in Melee's BOXART, he was a hidden character... just like Lucario.
Where as...

And Charizard still got in over Blaziken in Brawl, despite people thinking (s)he was a shoe-in. Why would Blaziken replace Charizard NOW?

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Mewtwo wasn't portrayed in Melee's BOXART, he was a hidden character... just like Lucario.
Where as...

And Charizard still got in over Blaziken in Brawl, despite people thinking (s)he was a shoe-in. Why would Blaziken replace Charizard NOW?
Not saying Blaziken should have gotten in instead of Charizard for PT. Saying that if the PT got replaced by a starter Pokemon by itself, Blaziken would've been a better fit. It would be weird to have two 1st gen and a random 3rd gen. Also, I said that it would be better to have a 6th gen Pokemon trainer. In my opinion
Charizard<Blaziken<First gen PT<A legendary Pokemon<6th Gen PT
That is what I think. Charizard would be a horrible replacement for PT, and so would Blaziken. But I think Blaziken would be better than Charizard if one of them replaced PT.

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
Don't hate because you suck with Chrizard. He was the best out of the Trio IMO. Charizard is way more popular than Blazikan. If PT gets removed, Charizard would defiantly be the one to stay. Popularity wise, i would even put Charizard above Jigglypuff. I don't see Blaziken, or even jigglypuffy getting 3Ds designs based off them
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/10/charizard-3dsxl.jpg
In surprised he wasn't playable in Melee

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Outside of Pikachu PT has the 3 most recognizable Pokémons. Mewtwo's new form would serve as 6th gen representation, PT will be able to stay just the way he is. Remember boys and girls, with characters like Fox, Falco, Wolf, Lucas, Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B and Captain Falcon in the game, it should be obvious that Smash Bros is more than just a cheap commercial for Nintendo games.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Outside of Pikachu PT has the 3 most recognizable Pokémons. Mewtwo's new form would serve as 6th gen representation, PT will be able to stay just the way he is. Remember boys and girls, with characters like Fox, Falco, Wolf, Lucas, Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B and Captain Falcon in the game, it should be obvious that Smash Bros is more than just a cheap commercial for Nintendo games.
I am pretty sure an actual commercial would be cheaper than making two seperate games.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I am pretty sure an actual commercial would be cheaper than making two seperate games.
Point is, Smash Bros isn't being used solely to advertise for the newest Nintendo games, if that was the case then there's tons of characters who wouldn't have been in Brawl. Thus it's perfectly fine for Pokémon Trainer to stay with exactly the Pokémon he has.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Point is, Smash Bros isn't being used solely to advertise for the newest Nintendo games, if that was the case then there's tons of characters who wouldn't have been in Brawl. Thus it's perfectly fine for Pokémon Trainer to stay with exactly the Pokémon he has.
Have you thought he would want to be up to date? There are three 1st gen Pokemon slots in Brawl, so five Pokemon total (not including Pokeballs obviously cause that is a mix of gens). Thinking of it now, yeah, PT is obviously 1st gen cause they are the most popular, but at least replace Jigglypuff with another, or put PT as a mix of gens. Sakurai doesn't have to do it, but he doesn't have to update other people too. Pit could look more like the trophy of him in Melee, or Bowser could have his neutral B fire attack like it is in the old Mario games (that would be pretty good IMO).
Don't hate because you suck with Chrizard.
I don't use him. I played against skilled people with PT and Squirtle was the biggest challenge. Also, they barely put out Charizard to fight online. I only used him in boss battles, cause his Rock Smash was actually worth something in SSE.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sakurai doesn't have to do it, but he doesn't have to update other people too. Pit could look more like the trophy of him in Melee, or Bowser could have his neutral B fire attack like it is in the old Mario games (that would be pretty good IMO).

But they DID go with Pokemon Trainer's latest design.

Unless you are talking about REPLACING him with the newest Trainer, which is not the same.
While we're at it, let's also take out Marth and replace him with Chrom or Lucina.
Or let's remove Olimar and put Alph instead.
Sakurai didn't even "update" Link to Skyward Sword Link, so I'm not sure why he would do this to Pokemon Trainer.

(Image from PT Red in Black/White 2)

Really, if you have a problem with Gen 1 PT, you'll just have to deal with it... He's the character that started the whole videogame franchise. He has earned his rightful place as much as Marth or Olimar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom