• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He does really look like Red eh..?

****, I may never get to see Charizard vs Blastoise now... :c

:phone:

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
its OK Diddy mah boi, Blastoise will never be gone! always beleive in you love of the true water type starter!!!!!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In Gen 1, all starters where so damn awesome. Even Venusaur was awesome with his Razor Leaf that always crits.

Blastoise would just have an awesome playstyle. I'll post my ideas for PT here later. Been spreading my idea of having Pokemon evolve in Smash, some people liked my idea of Pichu / Pikachu / Raichu, but haven't heard much feedback on my ideas pf,Fire, Water and Grass type Pokemon Trainer.

Coming soon into this thread though. :cool:

:phone:

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
So long as Red returns i dont care what pokemon he has lol. (he is with out a doubt my favorite character in all of the series, with Silver and N behind him) also on your idea with pokemon evolving, once they are fully evolved would they stay that way the rest of the match?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, here's the whole post:

Gen 1 is still the best imo. There's still raw potential in some of the oldest biggest names.

For example:

Raichu :026: - (coupled with Pichu or not) having a moveset extremely similar to N64's Pikachu. If we have moveset alternatives, I want him to happen.

Snorlax :143: - 'Luigified' Jigglypuff clone. Taking the extremes between Falcon and Ganondorf even farther, Snorlax would be the COMPLETE opposite of Jigglypuff. Bad jumps, but strong ground game, extremely slow attacks, and extremely heavy. Rest would actually heal, Pound = Mega Punch and is much slower, yet stronger and works much the same as Pound. B = Roll Out, and Up B = Snore instead of Sing (an attack Snorlax can use while sleeping).

Bulbasaur :001: & Venusaur :003: - Both a faster and a lighter version of :ivysaurbrawl: :002: (Bulbasaur) and a heavier and stronger version (Venusaur). Wouldn't need much moveset tweaking for Bulbasaur at all, and only a few 'atletic' looking aerials would need changing for Venusaur. Make them optional as a 'Grass Type Pokemon Trainer'.

Charmander :004: & Charmeleon :005: - Versions of :charizardbrawl: :006: who cannot fly, and are a little weaker, but also slightly faster. Selectable by choosing 'Fire Type Pokemon Trainer'

Wartortle :008: & Blastoise :009: - Stronger, heavier and slower versions of :squirtlebrawl: :007: . Wartortle could use basically all of Squirtle's moves, but for Blastoise it's a bit harder. But Blastoise would in general be an awesome addition anyway. :009: Replace the Water Gun for Hyrdo Pump and make it work much like the PokeBall attacks for starts, and then move up to make an awesome Blastoise moveset (playstyle could be inspired by Bowser's). Only playable when picking 'Water Type Pokemon Trainer'

Mewtwo :150: :mewtwo: - No contest. Still am convinced he's the best.

Am not a Generation 1-warrior kinda guy, but still having the best memories about Pokemon from the first gen. Not so much the games, but the Pokemon in general.

Also, I think Pokemon evolution would make nice gimmicks. Especially for Pichu / Pikachu / Raichu and the various starters of the Pokemon Trainer.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thanks. The basic idea is that you start with either Charmander, Squirtle or Bulbasaur on the select screen, and after taking 1 stock of an enemy character, you'd evolve into the next stage Pokemon permanently. And if you play with more stocks, make it so that you evolve after taking 1/3rd of the enemy's total stocks first, then 2/3rd for the next. 2 stock matches make you start with the second stage Pokemon, and 1 stock matches automatically make your Pokemon fight in the final stage.

MarioNPinkie

Smash Apprentice
Thanks. The basic idea is that you start with either Charmander, Squirtle or Bulbasaur on the select screen, and after taking 1 stock of an enemy character, you'd evolve into the next stage Pokemon permanently. And if you play with more stocks, make it so that you evolve after taking 1/3rd of the enemy's total stocks first, then 2/3rd for the next. 2 stock matches make you start with the second stage Pokemon, and 1 stock matches automatically make your Pokemon fight in the final stage.
thats not a bad idea but shouldnt there be a way if the player chooses to not let them evolve either past the 1st or 2nd form or no?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dunno..? Maybe hold a taunt button or something? You'd generally WANT your character to evolve though, but if you say, couldn't really take the speed loss of going Venusaur and wanna play Ivysaur instead, they could have that option. There are people weird like that. :p

MarioNPinkie

Smash Apprentice
Dunno..? Maybe hold a taunt button or something? You'd generally WANT your character to evolve though, but if you say, couldn't really take the speed loss of going Venusaur and wanna play Ivysaur instead, they could have that option. There are people weird like that. :p
yea i see what you mean some people would tend to have a preference on not evolving at all because of reasons x,y and z because they are like that

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Generally speaking though, each evolution is meant to be obviously better than the next. But there can be pretty big differences, like Charmander > Charizard for example. Charmander could probably attack a little faster, but Charizard has the advantage of weight, recovery and a better Flamethrower for example. Squirtle is rather quick, and somewhat light, but Blastoise would be very heavy, and have Hyrdo Pump instead of Water Gun. Blastoise wouldn't be as effective in the air as Squirtle, but deals far more damage.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
But in the case of Charizard all his stats are superior to his previous evolutions. Most of the time stats won't lower from evolving although it does happen sometimes. One of the other main reasons for not evolving Pokemon are because base Pokemon learn moves much quicker and some can even learn different moves than their evolution can. Of course there is also personal preference like how Ash prefers to keep his Pikachu as is.

In other news, who else has seen http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=FxusPsr30N0&feature=endscreen

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, they can make Charizard much more weak for combos than Charmander and Charmeleon for example. And it's of coarse a given that each evolution would be stronger than the previous one. And yes, evolution canceling would also be possible! Just hold B when you see the character flashing with white light to stay in current shape. Could be done if you prefer Squirtle's faster movement, are combo'ing the heck out of your enemy with Charmeleon, or prefer the better jumping abilities of Ivysaur over Venusaur.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
What if there is no Down B or stamina. The pokemon automatically tags out at a percentage.

Squirtle tags out at 35 percentage. Ivysaur tags out at 80 percent. Charizard is used until the KO. This way Squirtle can be made more offensive, Ivysaur more defensive, and Charizard can have more tactics to stay on the stage (better jumps, weight, ect).

Maybe Ivysaur can have a move that drains health, repairing its percentage and allowing it to switch automatically back to Squirtle at under 35 percent.

This would force all the pokemon to be used without stamina issues.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'd rather there be an incentive to switch out as oppossed to being forced to switch. I still think a team size option and tagging out with certain moves on hit is the way to go.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Apparently Charizard will be making another appearance in the next Japanese episode to air. He's so far from forgotten it's not even funny!

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'd rather there be an incentive to switch out as oppossed to being forced to switch. I still think a team size option and tagging out with certain moves on hit is the way to go.
Not really a need for that. The suggestion you gave doesn't work very well.

The solution is just switch when you have the opportunity. Knock them off and go for it.

However, I do think that the switch times should be shortened. Though, this may be an issue with Brawl loading the data then the design of the move itself.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Personally I think they should have a way that you can either choose to play as the individual Pokemon without Red or play as all 3 with him by pressing something on the character menu.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Personally I think they should have a way that you can either choose to play as the individual Pokemon without Red or play as all 3 with him by pressing something on the character menu.
The problem is you can't remove something that is integral to the characters design.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
The problem is you can't remove something that is integral to the characters design.
Sakurai can do whatever he wants to with it being his gamee. He added ZSS to Samus's design. And plus, I'd be a good solution to the whole, "I don't want to play as Poke Trainer because then I'd be forced to play as such and such" or "As soon as it turns to 1 character I'm gonna switch because I hate playing as that one" things while still having the concept inside the game.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai can do whatever he wants to with it being his gamee. He added ZSS to Samus's design. And plus, I'd be a good solution to the whole, "I don't want to play as Poke Trainer because then I'd be forced to play as such and such" or "As soon as it turns to 1 character I'm gonna switch because I hate playing as that one" things while still having the concept inside the game.
ZSS doesn't affect Samus's character because it was added along with the new feature. The concept of Pokemon Trainer is that he has three different character. Removing this removes the point on the character.

Besides. Just man up and learn all three.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
ZSS doesn't affect Samus's character because it was added along with the new feature. The concept of Pokemon Trainer is that he has three different character. Removing this removes the point on the character.

Besides. Just man up and learn all three.
Technically a Pokemon Trainer can have 1-6 pokemon :p

And I have learned all 3. I just enjoy Squirtle much more than playing the other two.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Bump.

Why does everyone think PT is Red? He doesn't have Red's model, he has the RSE model. I always thought he was just meant to be a generic trainer rather than a specific trainer, hence the name 'Pokemon Trainer'.

As for people suggesting all fully-evolved pokemon, the problem with having three heavyweights is that one is going to end up being superior to the others, and considering that they're all heavyweights, it'll be superior in almost all siluations. I get that Squirtle is superior in almost all situations now because they didn't balance the pokemon very well, but at least you've got the lightweight middleweight heavyweight thing to make them different, and in a casual setting different weight classes may be better for different scenarios.

People complain about how punishable switching is, but it's true to pokemon mechanics. Switching currently has fast start up and massive cooldown. which represents the games well because in the games it's the pokemon who is switched in who takes the free hit, not the original pokemon.

They could however, give it start up lag and make the switched in pokemon unpunishable. It'd be less true to the games, but the idea would be that if you can set up some space or predict a defensive move on the opponent's behalf like an airdodge, you'd be able to get in the next pokemon safely.

Or, they could make switching unpunishable and lagless, but give a certain time period in which you can't switch again to prevent stalling.

The current switch mechanics are annoying competitively, but they're the truest to the games so I can't complain. I'm just worried they'll scrap PT, or give him modern pokemon.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Bump.

Why does everyone think PT is Red? He doesn't have Red's model, he has the RSE model. I always thought he was just meant to be a generic trainer rather than a specific trainer, hence the name 'Pokemon Trainer'.
This is Red's artwork for FireRed and LeafGreen.

Here is Pokemon Trainer in brawl.

See the resemblance? He even has the Vs seeker on his chest. This is why we think Pokemon Trainer is Red. Because he is.

Here is the character art for the trainers for Ruby and Sapphire.

There is little resemblance. I have no idea how you mixed that up.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
My mistake. I thought I read somewhere it was the RSE protagonist. I probably just read '3rd gen' and assumed RSE.

Still, I always just though he was a generic trainer. That's probably why they didn't call him Red. Red's RBY appearance would make for a nice palette swap though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If they would be fully playable like in P:M that'd be awesome. But I just don't expect it. And I don't want the Pokémon gone either so I hope they keep Red.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Make Down B quicker with pushback. Take away stamina. Play up their strengths and weaknesses so you will simply be forced to switch yourself.

OR: Down B can be attack.

When Squirtle switches in, a spray of water pushes back the opponent.

When Ivysaur switches in, a burst of pollen comes from the pokeball that could make an opponent fall asleep or (if in air) air dodge.

When Charizard switches in, an onslaught of flame does multi-hit damage.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
At the moment he's a brilliant amazing incredibly fun and interesting character for casual play. But just broken, useless and frustrating for competitive play.

They need to somehow make PKMN trainer actually a competitively viable fighter in a way that makes switching Pokemon in mid game an advantage.

Make Down B quicker with pushback. Take away stamina. Play up their strengths and weaknesses so you will simply be forced to switch yourself.

OR: Down B can be attack.

When Squirtle switches in, a spray of water pushes back the opponent.

When Ivysaur switches in, a burst of pollen comes from the pokeball that could make an opponent fall asleep or (if in air) air dodge.

When Charizard switches in, an onslaught of flame does multi-hit damage.
Nice idea.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
All I want is for Charizards Fair to be a little bit more disjointed and for Ivy to get a recovery buff.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Actually, Ivysaur's recovery is pretty good when used correctly, though I would like a bit of upward momentum with Vine Whip, kind of like Ice Climber's Belay.

Another buff I would give Ivysaur is to make his meteor smash easier to hit. It's nearly impossible to hit. Bullet seed should also suck in the people around your bulb, not just your feet.

Charizard's fine from what I see. Maybe some super armor on Rock Smash and his forward smash.

Squirtle could use just a tad more weight as could Ivysaur.

You know, I've never talked about how I would change my main....

It's kinda fun...

I gotta go do this for my secondaries!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom