• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I honestly don't think that Sakurai sees Pokémon in generations, he just looks at what Pokémons are the most popular, and there's no denying that 1st Gen has always been much more popular than the rest. He always leaves one spot open for advertisement though, in Melee it was Pichu, in Brawl it was Lucario, in SSB4 it's pretty much a given that it'll be Mewtwo with his new form.

Also, Pit looked like Cupid who tried to grow up but failed in his Melee trophy, I don't see what relevance it has to the discussion or why you'd prefer that in any way.

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
Didn't Sakuria say that he was having trouble putting in Characters that had multiple people together into the 3ds version? Does that mean PT? Or characters like the Ice Climbers or Olimar

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Didn't Sakuria say that he was having trouble putting in Characters that had multiple people together into the 3ds version? Does that mean PT? Or characters like the Ice Climbers or Olimar
Pokémon Trainer only has one Pokémon out at a time, only during the final smash are they all out, and when they're doing that they don't require any commands or AI like Ice Climbers or the Pikmins. The problem is most likely just for Ice Climbers, given that it's almost definitely an AI problem of some sort.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Charizard isn't even that good of a fighter. He is a flying type who doesn't even go as high as some double jumpers. Even his Up B sucks. His Neutral B is a clone of Bowser's. His Side B is slow and if you are a decent player, you can dodge it easily. His up B isn't that good either, so yeah. Blaziken can jump the height of buildings, so think of his jumping ability. He is a fire type and a fighting type. He even has his own signature move (blaze kick). Obviously I am a fan of him, but that doesn't mean this is based off because of that. Just seems like a fire fighting would fit better than a fire flying move. But I think that PT will be replaced with 6 gen either way and I think that is better than having one pokemon that isn't a mascot or legendary (Charizard and Blaziken, along with all starters). He is old, and the 6th gen game hasn't come t yet. Pikeachu is a perfect symbol for the first gen and PT needs an upgrade. Anyways, PT shouldn't be replaced with just Charizard and should be replaced with 6th gen Pokemon.
Charizard is a better fighter then you give credit for, you just have to know how to use it just like the other 2. Also Charizard is a flying fire breathing salemander (mythical creature, not your every day one) so it breathing fire just makes sense, and why does the fact that it shares a move with Bowser even matter? Pika shares a move with Luigi, Lucario shares a move with Metwo from Melee. It doesn't matter a stinking bit. Side Spec is also faster then you give it credit for, I play against people way above my skill level and whenever I decide to use Charizard I can catch them with Rock Smash, you just have to know how to use it. His Up Spec is better then other characters Up Specs, he migh not have the best recovery but his recovery abilities are by no means bad. Also I am going to call you out and say it is because you are a fan of Blaziken, you say he can jump at the height of building, well like you said Charizard is a part flying and if they didn't give him the jump power he deserved then what makes you think they would do it for Blaziken? Also going by your logic of Charizard sharing a move with Bowser what would make Blaziken's Blae Kick different from Falcon's and Ganondorf's Down Spec? Heck what would make Blaziken's other attacks different from those two characters? Also your legendary statement is BS. Smash has only ever gotten one Legendary Pokemon and that is Metwon, so why should legendaries be so important? I agree PT shouldn't jsut be replaced with just Charizard, key word though shouldn't, but if he does get taken out, which is very unlikely, Charizard is the most logical choice to use if only because Charizard is literally the most popular Pokemon in existence.

Not saying Blaziken should have gotten in instead of Charizard for PT. Saying that if the PT got replaced by a starter Pokemon by itself, Blaziken would've been a better fit. It would be weird to have two 1st gen and a random 3rd gen. Also, I said that it would be better to have a 6th gen Pokemon trainer. In my opinion
Charizard<Blaziken<First gen PT<A legendary Pokemon<6th Gen PT
That is what I think. Charizard would be a horrible replacement for PT, and so would Blaziken. But I think Blaziken would be better than Charizard if one of them replaced PT.
For someone who doesn't like clone moves, by your statement of Charizard and Bowser earlier, you sure do like a character who would probably have several cloned moves from Falcon. Also you do realize first gen is probably the most popular gen out there? Not to mention again that Charizard is the most popular Pokemon in the world. Charizard has more going for him then Blaziken. Also taking into consideration that that PT was on the boxart and a boxart character has yet to be cut.... Proper ordering would be something like this;

Blazekin<different gen PT<Charizard<multi-gn PT<1st gen PT

Different gen PT is behind charizard because if you are going to focus on one gen for a PT 1st gen is the obvious one to go with for oh so many reasons.

Not to mention that the Red design can be compared to the likes of Marth, Olimar, and the like.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i am pretty good with charizard. his rock is slow, but its a good punishing move and can be used off stage for edge guarding.

his down tilt is fast and has good knockback, his recovery has heavy armor, his f tilt has good range and knockback, a little bit of slow startup, but you have to time it right. forward smash is powerful, but shouldnt be used too often because of its start up and ending lag. up tilt is good for just anyone above you, but up smash might be better. his nair has great range, fair, is awesome as a gimping move and spacing. up air is almost useless but can start juggles, his dair is a spike, which is good because charizard flies so its almost a low risk move, bair is good for damage and just getting people out of your way has good range too. dsmash.... easily dodged by jumping. but unless im wrong, it spikes at the ledge and could be used for edge guarding (that might be project m only though)
i am wary of his glide attack as it has no range, and could easily miss and get punished,

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Also you do realize first gen is probably the most popular gen out there?
Orcarina of time has been argued to be better than skyward sword because it is a classic. People say melee is better because you can't beat the classics (64 was the original though). So yeah, of course the first generation is the most popular. My favorite generation is the second gen, because Gold was what brought me into Pokemon. Anyways, sorry for bringing up why Blaziken and the 6th gen PT would be better. I've turned into one of those people who say what they want is best and won't listen to reason. I'll just wait till the game comes out to start arguing again :troll:. I still believe in what I said, but I won't main any Pokemon characters anyways. I'll just figure out ways to crush everyine with Pit.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Though Squirtle is clearly the best, I'm best with Charizard. I know when and where to use the Rock Smash, and it's extremely punishing. It's also like an insane counterattack.

I also like Charizard's Bair a lot. The only moves I'm not comfortable with are Usmash and Dsmash. I swear I never know when to use these... Particularly Dsmash. But the rest is awesome. Wish he had more jumps, though.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Orcarina of time has been argued to be better than skyward sword because it is a classic. People say melee is better because you can't beat the classics (64 was the original though). So yeah, of course the first generation is the most popular. My favorite generation is the second gen, because Gold was what brought me into Pokemon. Anyways, sorry for bringing up why Blaziken and the 6th gen PT would be better. I've turned into one of those people who say what they want is best and won't listen to reason. I'll just wait till the game comes out to start arguing again :troll:. I still believe in what I said, but I won't main any Pokemon characters anyways. I'll just figure out ways to crush everyine with Pit.
Lol if you think OoT is considered to be the best simply be the best jsut because it is a classic you are mistaken. It is definatly the most popular Zelda game in existence and consistently gets in very high when it comes to top 100 Nintendo games and top 100 video games stuff. If you think the sole reason is a classic then you are delusinol, plain and simple. Also people don't say Melee is better because it is a classic, they say it is the best for many other reasons, they might be a contributing factor but never the sole reason. Despite what you may believe, new doesn't always mean better. And all way to go ignoring all my other arguments I had posted. ._.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Lol if you think OoT is considered to be the best simply be the best jsut because it is a classic you are mistaken. It is definatly the most popular Zelda game in existence and consistently gets in very high when it comes to top 100 Nintendo games and top 100 video games stuff. If you think the sole reason is a classic then you are delusinol, plain and simple. Also people don't say Melee is better because it is a classic, they say it is the best for many other reasons, they might be a contributing factor but never the sole reason. Despite what you may believe, new doesn't always mean better. And all way to go ignoring all my other arguments I had posted. ._.
I don't believe that. I am saying other people do. I have heard many people saying that some games are better because they are classics. I should've been more clear about Melee. I meant that it was one of the reasons, but not the whole thing. Basically, I was trying to say that first gen is the most popular, because it is the oldest. To me, second gen is my favorite because it was my first, but I believe that third gen is the best one they made.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
On another subject.

I'm probably one of the few that supported Red for Brawl. I didn't from the start, but someone came up with this crazy idea for a support thread, and I loved it since.

But we all made movesets for him based on viable TRAINER moves. (We were all surprised by the outcome).

So if a Trainer were playable WITHOUT Pokemon... what moveset would you give him/her?

This is close to the idea I had back then.

Attacks: Punching and kicking. Also throws rocks, and uses special items on himself.

Specials:
B: Throw Pokeball. This will trap the opponent inside, and the higher the damage % of the opponent, the harder it will be for him to break free.
Btilt: Super Rod: You grab an opponent from a distance. This also works as tether recovery.
Bup: Escape Rope: Tether recovery. Does not grab opponent.
Bdown: Bycicle. Trainer hops on bycicle and rides across the stage. Similar to Wario's bike, except a bit weaker.

Final Smash: (Pretty much what Brawl did was something I envisioned).

What moves would you give him, if he didn't rely on his pokemon?

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Though Charizard is the strongest, I prefer Ivysaur, I used to just use Charizard, but I was encouraged to try different characters, so I tried Ivysaur and he turned out to be better than Charizard.

However the only problem is if Ivysaur is sent flying, and he can't reach the edge with Vine Whip, he's screwed.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
On another subject.

I'm probably one of the few that supported Red for Brawl. I didn't from the start, but someone came up with this crazy idea for a support thread, and I loved it since.

But we all made movesets for him based on viable TRAINER moves. (We were all surprised by the outcome).

So if a Trainer were playable WITHOUT Pokemon... what moveset would you give him/her?

This is close to the idea I had back then.

Attacks: Punching and kicking. Also throws rocks, and uses special items on himself.

Specials:
B: Throw Pokeball. This will trap the opponent inside, and the higher the damage % of the opponent, the harder it will be for him to break free.
Btilt: Super Rod: You grab an opponent from a distance. This also works as tether recovery.
Bup: Escape Rope: Tether recovery. Does not grab opponent.
Bdown: Bycicle. Trainer hops on bycicle and rides across the stage. Similar to Wario's bike, except a bit weaker.

Final Smash: (Pretty much what Brawl did was something I envisioned).

What moves would you give him, if he didn't rely on his pokemon?
I would want this:
Smashes
SideSmash: whips the blackbelt (hold item) outwards in one direction.
DownSmash: Uses the water sprinkler (the thing to wake up Sudowoodo) and spins around sprinkling it, but it actually damages people.
UpSmash: Summons a Squirtle to use its UpSmash (ran out of ideas)

Tilts/Jab
Jab: obviously some punch punch kick, or punch punch punch combo
DTilt: Summons a pokemon to use tail whip as an actual attack.
L/RTilt: Summons a Hitmonlee that does a Jump kick and disappears.
Utilt: Hitmonchan appears and uppercuts

Specials
NSpecial: Can summon a Meoth that uses PayDay like his Pokeball.
SSpecial: Summons a Drillbur to use Drill attack. When in the air, PT rides on it and gets launched foward while not being able to do anything. The difference between Metaknight's attack is that it keeps attacking untill it is over. PT's drill attack will go for even longer when on ground and won't combo you, it will just hit you once and knock you upwards on the first hit. When in the air, it will only last a second and just throw PT really far.
DSpecial: A mudkip (it is too cute to not include) uses dig and when PT uses down special again, it comes out. When in the air, PT summons a mudkip that attacks downwards as a spike.
USpecial: A Pidgeot uses fly. It is like Megaman's Up Special in smash flash 2. Instead of lemons, PT throws Pokeballs everytime you press B

Areals
Uair: Flips upside down and kicks upwards
Dair: Kicks downwards
Fair: Swings a punch infront of him
Bair: Elbows behind him
Nair: Does a 360 spin with his foot out

Final Smash: Has a Masterball for every enemy he has. He summons 1-3 Master balls and they fall right next to him. What he does is pick one up and throws it at an enemy. If an enemy is caught, they are trapped in there for five attempts to escape (the pokeball shakes five times). They are completely vulnerable and the PT can pick up the PT and throw it off stage before they escape. Only the PT can grab and throw them and they last forever. Other players can push them off stage like other items. Also, if the player escapes, or PT misses, the Masterball gets destroyed and disappears. Now I think about it, it should be an ultra ball since players can escape, and, you can't reflect, shield, or attack them. The only way is to move out of the way, or dodge it.

Well this is my idea (as you can see, it isn't that detailed lol).

PerfectDarkMarc

Smash Cadet
Hello all! Can I get in on this? :p

I would personally like to see the following:

Jiggly cut (the joke has worn thin and she is unnessessary imo) Would also limit Pokemon reps.

The Pokemon characters in the game are as follows:

Lucario cut for Mewtwo (in his newest form) Mewtwo is more
iconic. Unless they allow a swap mid battle similar to Sheik/Zelda. They ARE kind of polar opposites I suppose.
Personally, I would prefer Mewtwo only though.

Pokemon Trainer is kept but heavily modified in one of
two ways.

1. Same as he was in Brawl but "fatigue" system is reworked, and
switching is not nearly as punishable. Also I agree with
what was mentioned earlier where the taunt button is
used for switching on the fly so that each Pokemon can all have
another down move.

OR

2. This option would be interesting but require likely too
much time/resources to balance correctly.
Allow player to choose 3 pokemon from any of the starter evolutions
but player is limited to one of each evolution.
For instance, you cannot use Blastoise, Venusaur(spelling?), Charizard

Blastoise, Ivysaur, Charmander - is acceptable

as is Venusaur, Charmeleon, and Squirtle. You get the point.

I think this would be very interesting but unlikely to happen since
it would take tons of time to design/animate/balance all of them

3. (my fav option) A female PT who has access to all the Evee evolutions
Like male PT/Red she can choose 3 of the following: Vaporeon, Flareon, Jolteon,
Espeon, Umbreon, Glaceon, and Leafeon

I freaking love Espeon, Umbreon, and Glaceon so I would go with those myself ;P

If the Pokemon reps are implemented this way it will technically only take up 4 character slots. Mewtwo/Pikachu/PT(Male)/PT(Female)
This would prevent the Pokemon franchise from being over represented and allow for some crazy combinations! ^_^

If the Evee evos couldn't be done I would still be happy (though not nearly as happy) with the
pic someone posted on page two I think of Gen 2 starters if it was that exact combination. That said, I would vastly prefer the Evee evos since they would offer something we not only haven't seen but allow
for the player to sort of customize their team based on preference. Not to mention, all the evees are BA
;P

Thoughts?

TeamFlareZakk

What does the fatigue thing even do besides make the Pokémon look like they are tired?

I usually ignore it and just force the Pokémon I'm playing as to continue fighting, why should I care if it's tired?

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
Pokémon Trainer's final smash was awful and I could never tell if it actually hit. I think it would be better if he withdraws whatever Pokémon is out and send out a Gyarados, Dagonite or one of the legendary bird Pokémon.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What does the fatigue thing even do besides make the Pokémon look like they are tired?

I usually ignore it and just force the Pokémon I'm playing as to continue fighting, why should I care if it's tired?
It makes them fly farther and makes the pokemon do less damage and knockback.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hmmm new final Smash.

I was thinking yesterday, what if PT reached for a pokeball containing Snorlax. It would be a super heavy character with super heavy damage. You can either have him attack, or use a superior version of rest which actually cures all damage.

But I don't know, Triple Finish is kind of weird for not being a move represented in the games... On the other hand I can't quite think of anything else to give him.

mimgrim

Smash Hero

It makes your Pokemon get knocked back further and they ed up dealing less damage and less knock back, stack this on top of Stale Moves.... And well, you get the point.

TeamFlareZakk

I never really noticed the Pokémon being tired it did that, although in Brawl my favorite Pokémon character actually Lucario, although I also like Jigglypuff too believe it or not, I never knew Jigglypuff was actually so fun to play as.

I'm not a big fan of Pikachu though.

Does anybody here think the trainer could be cut altogether?

I'm not saying I want it to happen, but it seems possible.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
No. I think there's a chance he'll run a muck of time and not be ready for the initial release date (though I believe this is unlikely in itself, I suspect he's fairly high priority), but if he does I'm confident he will be a DLC character.

TeamFlareZakk

We can't say there is DLC though.

I think he might be cut due to Sakurai not being sure what Trainer to use, or what Pokémon to include seeing that this could be a complicated character to work with, plus Sakurai could be all like meh we have enough Pokémon on the roster.

Pikachu already could represent Red because he has his hat and he is Red's main Pokémon, so that could be another reason Trainer could get the axe.

However Red might not be cut completely, he could become a Assist Trophy where Red pops out and throws a Pokeball containing a random Pokemon from the Pokeball roster, which is another idea of how to include Red as character if he were axed, I'd just be happy to see him, and it makes Assist Trophies even more interesting.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
With the recently announced Mega Pokemon. Do you think if Pokemon Trainer is back. He will have Mega versions of the first 3 pokemon?

TeamFlareZakk

Which Pokémon has the Mega Evolution into that chick doing high jump kick?

I want that one.

So this is what Awakened Mewtwo truly is right?

I wonder if this applies to any other Pokémon besides the ones shown, or if they are the only ones?

Now I want Lucario to return and I wish Blaziken was added.

MAGRWolfX

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0130-3100-1586
This is just like the case with Olimar. People thought Olimar was going to be replaced with a Pikmin 3 character, but nope. He's back and even borrowed the whistle design. Red might come back and probably borrow something from a new trainer. Plus, wouldn't it be awesome to see Red, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard in HD?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I just thought of something that would improve PT quite a bit, without being so hard to implement.

Free switching.

See, transforming characters usually transform whenever they are allowed so by the opponent's lack of pressure. However PT should NOT be dependant on this to allow Pokemon switching, as he's outside the battle.. so to name a few examples, PT should be allowed to switch pokemon even when:

-A pokemon is getting grabbed
-A pokemon is in the air
-A pokemon is getting infinite'd
-A pokemon is dizzy, asleep, stunned, frozen (even if when you bring him back he's still in this state)
-A pokemon catches the negative zone effects
-A pokemon is slowed down

PT should be a MUCH more capable transforming character because the trainer himself is not INSIDE the battlefield, thus not affected by moves from the enemy.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Did Blue seriously think it teetering a bike off the edge of that bridge was a good idea?

And why is there a bridge so high up in the air without a guard rail? OHS will have a field day assessing this!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm so pumped for this!

I doubt this means farewell Ivy and Squirtle.

But I can't shake the feeling that MAYBE, Sakurai could implement an evolution gimmick for the trio. Wether it's something as simple as slightly altering each starter's stats upon evolutions (making them heavier, and adding personal properties like the multi jump and glide for Charizard)

But I'll be quite happy if he returns as he is, only slightly buffed.

And I guess this special is what's currently hot in Pokemon. :D So no reason to de-prioritize him.

EDIT: Charizard surviving underwater CONFIRMED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom