• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Points of clarification about Casual Vs. Competitive that everyone needs to read(WOP)

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I'm not entirely sure where you got that, but I personally don't mind squashing noobs online. Crushing a computer is worthless. Crushing a human player is all too satisfying because I know there is someone out there controlling my opponent. As previously mentioned, truly good players will simply travel and compete with the best as they always have. Wi-Fi will only have limited ramifications.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I still find the viewpoint on a casual player a little odd compared to most games. Most real casuals wouldn't even bother aruging a point like this never the less joining a forum on a particular game.

Honsety I wouldn't set the Competitive Basher in the same league with Casual players, since the flamers seem to be in a group relvently on their own.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I have to pick on this. A lot of 'competitive' players whine that they have to share Wi-fi with a bunch of 'n00bs'.
I've seen this happen. As for Alpha Zealot's analogy of Nascar, I have the following to say.

Girls actually talk about Nascar?

But seriously though I took your entire post to mean something like you were partly defending the tournament elitists just because that is the scene you are from, you can never defend them no matter what even if it's making some numbers up to end up making it so as that there are more casual elitists than competitive ones. And that is not so, the casual elitists you speak so much about can hardly be such a large number, they are as well as competitive elitists confined to the Smash Boards and tournament scene and as such there can hardly be a humongous large number far far higher than that of the competitive elitists. Because easily those not in the Smash Boards or competitive scene, are extremely unlikely to even know what wave dashing is, it is because of that that casual players far outnumber us. So, that only leaves the casuals who know about the existence of the scene, a number far, far less than your casual oblivious player, this is why I find fault in your numbering of casual elitists and competitive ones, all the while you defending competitive elitists. No matter how you look at it, you really are trying to make one scene seem worse by counting their numbers up far outnumber your scene's worst, elitist people; thus defending them unacceptably.

"To which I replied "You're completely correct, but the problem is many of these normal drivers believe they can compete with the NASCAR drivers. "" if the casual elitists is who you are singling out in this post, then there is no need to make it; but I do see the point in it however. There ARE casual elitists who think simply turning items and unbanning stages will help them win over someone like me or you or Ken, but that number should be few as well; casual elitists probably still know deep down inside they cannot win unless they advanced themselves some. Simply put, do not defend competitive elitists in any way whatsoever, including bringing up numbers right out of the sky which is something I did not exactly do to the extent you did. They are just as horrible as any casual elitist that exists, Dylan is proof of that.

In closing, I'd like to add one more thing. If these top 20 players, top 50 don't even bother to post here, that somehow makes me feel kind of lonely and lowly, somehow. Also, you talk to your girlfriend about Smash...do girls like that even exist...? @_@

M.K

Level 55
Tourny Players > Casuals WRONG
Casuals < Tourny Players WRONG
Casuals = Tourny Players WRONG
Casualistic Ideas and Ethics =/= Tourny..a...listic (????) Ideas and Ethics

^ I think the last one is the biggest problem here!

EDIT: The post below is completely true. You aren't the best just because you go all over God's creations to Tournaments. You are the best, for having the best skill...
Traveling for Smash =/= Skill of Player

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
I'm not entirely sure where you got that, but I personally don't mind squashing noobs online. Crushing a computer is worthless. Crushing a human player is all too satisfying because I know there is someone out there controlling my opponent. As previously mentioned, truly good players will simply travel and compete with the best as they always have. Wi-Fi will only have limited ramifications.
Do not draw distinction of a good player or a worse player by how far they are willing to travel to fight someone. It simply cannot translate into skill or just how much of it can be gathered. This is the kind of behavior that irks me, skill and power tends to inflate the ego to the point one makes such statements.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
Define "A lot"

Almost all Competitive players realize "With Anyone" is a waste of time, and will just use FC's with people they know are good.
If by earning more skill by fighting someone on equal skill level, you are correct, it would be a waste for them to do "With Anyone", as they would be less likely to end up fighting with someone on an equal skill level than they would be with a Friend Code.

Takalth

Smash Ace
Tourny Players > Casuals WRONG
Casuals < Tourny Players WRONG
Casuals = Tourny Players WRONG
Casualistic Ideas and Ethics =/= Tourny..a...listic (????) Ideas and Ethics

^ I think the last one is the biggest problem here!

EDIT: The post below is completely true. You aren't the best just because you go all over God's creations to Tournaments. You are the best, for having the best skill...
Traveling for Smash =/= Skill of Player
What characteristic are you comparing in your mathematical statements.

If you're comparing skill, you're dead wrong on the first one. Bring your casual friends to a tournament if you don't believe me. Or for that matter, ask any competitive player about his first tournament (or first match against a regular tournament-goer).

Yes, here and there you will find an example of a casual who can beat a tournament goer, but it's a rather minuscule percent.

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Well when it comes to Wi-Fi I really and absolutely don't care who I play against.
I probably "will" use "with anyone."
Why?
Because then after few weeks/months of playing matches I can actually see how good I am compared to the "average" person.

I am gonna try to get at least one pro's friend code though :p I mean, come on, I live in Belgium! Lol, there is no smash scene here!

M.K

Level 55

If you're comparing skill, you're dead wrong on the first one. Bring your casual friends to a tournament if you don't believe me. Or for that matter, ask any competitive player about his first tournament (or first match against a regular tournament-goer).

Yes, here and there you will find an example of a casual who can beat a tournament goer, but it's a rather minuscule percent.
Oh no, I shoud have clarified a bit more, I meant...it's hard to explain.

I MEANT the way people think of themselves, Tournament Players shouldn't THINK of themselves as a BETTER PERSON than a Casual Player, and vice versa. Nor should they think they are equal! They should think of NOT EVEN BEING ON THE SAME TRAIN!

It isn't comparing an apple to an apple.
It isn't comparing an apple to a pear.
It's comparing an apple to a highly intoxicated mongoose on Guatamala's pro hockey team.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman

Since you missed it, I'll tell you. He's saying no one side is better, as skill doesn't matter in the end so long as one is having fun or doing what they want. I'll break it down.

Casual<Tournament= Wrong because being better than someone at a game doesn't matter so long as both parties are having fun on their own respective fields. I.e., a tournament player may be superior in skill to a casual player but that does not make the casual player any less than what a tournament player is. Think of it like money, just because someone has more money than another, it doesn't mean that that person is a better person than the one without money.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342

I think it's more of a comparison of supriority then skill, the idea that one type of method of play is suprior then another...

Basically referring to those that state that competitve or Casual is the 'right' way to play Smash.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
Well when it comes to Wi-Fi I really and absolutely don't care who I play against.
I probably "will" use "with anyone."
Why?
Because then after few weeks/months of playing matches I can actually see how good I am compared to the "average" person.

I am gonna try to get at least one pro's friend code though :p I mean, come on, I live in Belgium! Lol, there is no smash scene here!
I'm doing both dude, nothing better than getting on Smashboards and calling someone out from across the States...and ACTUALLY fighting them a minute later, greatness indeed.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
My only complaint about tourney rules and competitive players is that sometimes they act as though your an idiot if you use items or have all stages on, even when your just playing for fun.

user_name

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: The post below is completely true. You aren't the best just because you go all over God's creations to Tournaments. You are the best, for having the best skill...Traveling for Smash =/= Skill of Player
That seems like complete bull****. You can't get good at something unless you're exposed to a wide verity of strategy and skill. (like you would if you traveled for tournies all the time) You cant POSSIBLY have an even CLOSE experience just playing a few of your local friends. Not because you don't have the ability to be as good as someone else, but because you're not exposed to the same palette of skill/strategy which a tourny goer would be exposed to.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Do not draw distinction of a good player or a worse player by how far they are willing to travel to fight someone. It simply cannot translate into skill or just how much of it can be gathered. This is the kind of behavior that irks me, skill and power tends to inflate the ego to the point one makes such statements.
This post right here demonstrates your complete ignorance on the situation. Traveling smashers defeat non-traveling smashers 99.99% of the time. I travel. I know. Non-travelers don't travel, so how are they in any position to say otherwise? Traveling smashers play a wider variety of opponents and know more tricks than smashers who never travel. This is an indisputable fact. What you are basically stating is that you are offended that we dare suggest that there are people out there who are far better than you who actually do what it takes to get better as opposed to sitting at home and smashing with friends.

So, before you retort with "how big my ego is", care to offer proof that traveling does NOT make someone better? I DEFY YOU to find any such proof.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
My only complaint about tourney rules and competitive players is that sometimes they act as though your an idiot if you use items or have all stages on, even when your just playing for fun.
Idiot is kind of strong; ignorant is a better word here.

It is a fact that casual players are ignorant about high level Smash. Maybe they know about the techniques and how they are performed but that's only the tip of the iceberg. The only exception would be if the player watched and analyzed a ton of tournament videos but then that person is hardly a casual player.

Also, I think I should add that a traveling smasher isn't necessarily traveling great distances. It could mean traveling 30 minutes to get to a tournament that's being hosted nearby, in the case of many players in the NYC vicinity.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
Now now not all tournament players say that, it's a very small amount that does, this is what this thread is here for, to tell you that. Casual players too act as if tournament goes are idiots themselves as well.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'm a bit iffy at your point on traveling Buzz simply because not all places (Like where I am) have tournment within reasonable distances.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Yes, but I just wanted to make a point that there's a different between not going to tournments and Not being able to go. ;)

Sliq

Smash Master
I don't think I am a better person OVERALL because I can beat someone at Smash Bros.

I do KNOW I am better then people who do not use advanced techniques AT Smash Bros.

Seasoned competitive players will almost ALWAYS beat casual players. This is an observation based off of my past experience of being a casual player and getting my *** handed to me by competitive people (Jiano 4 stocked me twice my very first tournament (Oct 2005)). I have since played many casuals at tournaments (GameJunkie in Cincinnati attracts a lot of casuals because they advertise their tournament to all of their customers), and I have wrecked them all.

My favorite part is their response to doing crazy things like up throw rest (some guy was flipping out about this), SHL, chain grabbing, etc.

Even better are the people that whine about ****, especially when it isn't broken. I Kirbycided all 4 of some guys stock AND made it back with Kirby's neutral b, and claimed Kirby was cheap and broken. Good times.

I have never encountered ANYONE that doesn't use AT'S and had an even remotely close match with them.

THE SLIQ CHALLENGE

I will challenge anyone to a $100 money match. We'll have to agree on the ruleset, but I would prefer something like a stock match, best 3 out of 5, advanced slob picks.

We can play with items, without items. We can play on all stages or MLG stages. I don't care.

However, I will not do any ridiculous **** like 99 stock Pichu dittos on Brinstar depths. Use some sense.

I will drive to you If you live within 100 miles of East Canton, OH; Cincinnati, OH, or Lexington, OH; simply post in this thread with your preferred ruleset, and I'll see if it is worth my time.

You are more than welcome to come to my place and play, or even designate a neutral place like a gamestore or lan center if you're afraid I'm like and internet predator or something (despite the fact that my picture is in my signature, as well as a gif of me getting dragged through the VLS hallway).

Then when I say, "I am better than you," you will ****ing know, as opposed to blubbering about how you are good because you can beat your friends and other local nubs.

NOTE: If you accept my challenge, I will be recording the matches, so people will see your embarrassing defeat.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
This post right here demonstrates your complete ignorance on the situation. Traveling smashers defeat non-traveling smashers 99.99% of the time. I travel. I know. Non-travelers don't travel, so how are they in any position to say otherwise? Traveling smashers play a wider variety of opponents and know more tricks than smashers who never travel. This is an indisputable fact. What you are basically stating is that you are offended that we dare suggest that there are people out there who are far better than you who actually do what it takes to get better as opposed to sitting at home and smashing with friends.

So, before you retort with "how big my ego is", care to offer proof that traveling does NOT make someone better? I DEFY YOU to find any such proof.
I never stated I was offended by anyone saying that. What is fact is that anyone can gain skill by playing, even if it is only just within a group of local friends or not, that is how many pros started out, so would you actually dare say to one of them they never got skill that way? Of course, to further improve someone would have to meet a larger array of opponents, but one does not need to travel to learn advanced techniques, which might I add can be practiced against even someone else who knows these same techniques. To say that traveling is the only way is clearly untrue and THAT is 99.99 percent true unlike your own fact, it cannot possibly that high.

Also I detect some form of undue anger from your post, do tone it down please and keep your cool so as to keep the tourney image clean as I would keep my mid-stance image I hold of the two as well. After all, I never said traveling doesn't make anyone better, I said it simply cannot translate into skill or how much of it can be gained concretely.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I am a better person OVERALL because I can beat someone at Smash Bros.

I do KNOW I am better then people who do not use advanced techniques AT Smash Bros.

Seasoned competitive players will almost ALWAYS beat casual players. This is an observation based off of my past experience of being a casual player and getting my *** handed to me by competitive people (Jiano 4 stocked me twice my very first tournament (Oct 2005)). I have since played many casuals at tournaments (GameJunkie in Cincinnati attracts a lot of casuals because they advertise their tournament to all of their customers), and I have wrecked them all.

My favorite part is their response to doing crazy things like up throw rest (some guy was flipping out about this), SHL, chain grabbing, etc.

Even better are the people that whine about ****, especially when it isn't broken. I Kirbycided all 4 of some guys stock AND made it back with Kirby's neutral b, and claimed Kirby was cheap and broken. Good times.

I have never encountered ANYONE that doesn't use AT'S and had an even remotely close match with them.

THE SLIQ CHALLENGE

I will challenge anyone to a $100 money match. We'll have to agree on the ruleset, but I would prefer something like a stock match, best 3 out of 5, advanced slob picks.

We can play with items, without items. We can play on all stages or MLG stages. I don't care.

However, I will not do any ridiculous **** like 99 stock Pichu dittos on Brinstar depths. Use some sense.

I will drive to you If you live within 100 miles of East Canton, OH; Cincinnati, OH, or Lexington, OH; simply post in this thread with your preferred ruleset, and I'll see if it is worth my time.

You are more than welcome to come to my place and play, or even designate a neutral place like a gamestore or lan center if you're afraid I'm like and internet predator or something (despite the fact that my picture is in my signature, as well as a gif of me getting dragged through the VLS hallway).

Then when I say, "I am better than you," you will ****ing know, as opposed to blubbering about how you are good because you can beat your friends and other local nubs.

NOTE: If you accept my challenge, I will be recording the matches, so people will see your embarrassing defeat.
Dude this sounded awfully, just, ugh god awful defensive and high mighty off you, seriously dude. No one here has said they being casual, have just a good a chance at defeating anyone that uses advanced techniques. What WAS said however was that a person who plays casually CAN beat someone with advanced techniques, this in itself is true and just simply an impossibility for it to not be, they may not be able to beat everyone, but they can beat some. Calm down a bit, dude, wait till Brawl comes out when it's more convenient with Wi-Fi. You said it yourself "Seasoned competitive players will almost ALWAYS beat casual players."

With that almost always, you opened the way for anyone, even me to be able to say "Hey that could be me" and that's just something I know you don't want happening, seeing from your post how you highly revere your skills. Mendoksei...see folks that is the kind of thing I'm talking about, from years and years of building power and skill people just start getting into like, these Smash steroid rages and ****, it hurts my mind's ears, gosh...

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I never stated I was offended by anyone saying that. What is fact is that anyone can gain skill by playing, even if it is only just within a group of local friends or not, that is how many pros started out, so would you actually dare say to one of them they never got skill that way? Of course, to further improve someone would have to meet a larger array of opponents, but one does not need to travel to learn advanced techniques, which might I add can be practiced against even someone else who knows these same techniques. To say that traveling is the only way is clearly untrue and THAT is 99.99 percent true unlike your own fact, it cannot possibly that high.

Also I detect some form of undue anger from your post, do tone it down please and keep your cool so as to keep the tourney image clean as I would keep my mid-stance image I hold of the two as well. After all, I never said traveling doesn't make anyone better, I said it simply cannot translate into skill or how much of it can be gained concretely.
You CAN gain skill without traveling but there's a limit to how good you can get by playing just your circle of friends. For example, if they only play like Fox, Falco, Falcon, and Sheik then how the heck are you going to learn how to play against Mario or Samus without traveling somewhere?

It's possible to sit down and learn advanced techniques on your own but that hardly matters. You can have the best technical skill in the world but that hardly matters if you haven't traveled to get the experience necessary to be good. Technical players almost ALWAYS lose to smart players.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
You CAN gain skill without traveling but there's a limit to how good you can get by playing just your circle of friends. For example, if they only play like Fox, Falco, Falcon, and Sheik then how the heck are you going to learn how to play against Mario or Samus without traveling somewhere?

It's possible to sit down and learn advanced techniques on your own but that hardly matters. You can have the best technical skill in the world but that hardly matters if you haven't traveled to get the experience necessary to be good. Technical players almost ALWAYS lose to smart players.
The counter to your argument is quite simple. Make your friend play other characters and you yourself play other characters. But I do see your point, two people can only grow so much from playing one another in the end, so you'll definitely want to find new ones in the end and traveling to Smash is indeed a means to that. Regardless of that fact however, traveling is not the one and ONLY way to become "truly good", it is not a true, concrete measure of how good a player is because there ARE other ways to attain such skill. For example now forthcoming, Wi-Fi for Brawl, this will certainly reduce that limit on those who can't travel have and give them more room for improvement, people such as me. To what extent however remains to be seen, but I remain relatively positive about it.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
The counter to your argument is quite simple. Make your friend play other characters and you yourself play other characters.
So if you want to learn how to play against Marth you just tell your friend to be Marth? No way lol
Learning how to fight a character means playing someone who's REALLY GOOD with that character. Telling your friend to just pick Marth when he doesn't even use him is like going to Training Mode.

Simple example of why:

Going back to the Marth example, one crucial thing about playing Marth is knowing how to get around his edgeguarding. The only way you can really figure that out is by playing a Marth that knows what he's doing.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
You're missing the point of his post.

If I main sheik and my buddy mains Marth, I could arguably get amazing at beating Marth. However, if you want to learn to play a Mario, and "make" (as you said) your buddy play Mario, he's not going to be good for a long time if ever, because he wants to main Marth.

By traveling, you play against people skilled enough (or who, at the bare minimum, play enough hours) to want to meet other Smashers and play. So when you practice against someone's mained Mario, it is completely different.

Does that make sense? Was having trouble getting that out.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
So if you want to learn how to play against Marth you just tell your friend to be Marth? No way lol
Learning how to fight a character means playing someone who's REALLY GOOD with that character. Telling your friend to just pick Marth when he doesn't even use him is like going to Training Mode.

Simple example of why:

Going back to the Marth example, one crucial thing about playing Marth is knowing how to get around his edgeguarding. The only way you can really figure that out is by playing a Marth that knows what he's doing.
Yes, but how will your friend get good with said Marth? Practicing against you with a character -you- are extremely good with.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Yes, but how will your friend get good with said Marth? Practicing against you with a character -you- are extremely good with.
Except then he only learns one thing: How to fight against YOU. That does NOT make him a good player and it will never make him a good player.

This is exactly why circle of friends smashers aren't as good as those who travel. They learn how to fight each other and that's it. They aren't exposed to any new things.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
So you're saying that it is just as easy to get "extremely good" with every character (so you understand the intricacies of the matchups) as it is to travel around your city and play other smashers?

....?

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
You're missing the point of his post.

If I main sheik and my buddy mains Marth, I could arguably get amazing at beating Marth. However, if you want to learn to play a Mario, and "make" (as you said) your buddy play Mario, he's not going to be good for a long time if ever, because he wants to main Marth.

By traveling, you play against people skilled enough (or who, at the bare minimum, play enough hours) to want to meet other Smashers and play. So when you practice against someone's mained Mario, it is completely different.

Does that make sense? Was having trouble getting that out.
You should check out one of Alpha Zealot's articles on some widely recognized Smashers, one of those written in there in fact is rather good with quite a number of characters, it is entirely doable even if one wants to main another character. What I'm trying to say is, if he wants to main Marth but practices on my mained Marth with Mario, he's eventually over time going to get good with Mario to the point that my mained Marth will have some at the very least some halfway decent knowledge about Mario. That is not to say however that other people play other Mario's different, there is however a common factor for all, all Marths can edge guard well, and this should be learned by all Marth's at some point or another, the same can be applied for Mario mains and Mario's strengths.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Competitives are saying they are better, which is obviously, true in nearly all cases. But they also talk down upon casuals and tell them how they fail for playing with items and cetain stages, and that they play the "wrong" way.

Casuals are saying that they play how they want, but use the fox on FD stereotype.

So what is the real problem here?

From what I see the whole forum is just elitist complaining about casuals' playing style. Obviously a competitive player is better than a casual and can beat them, but what is the need to attack them in every thread? I don't play casually, but I feel the need to defend them as they are constantly attacked for no reason. People keep saying that casuals are saying how much better they are than competitive players and sh*t talking, but I have yet to see this at all.

The traveling issue is more of dedication to the game, than skill. I never traveled, but then again that's because I live in the middle of a city with over 3 million people and have a large group of Smash players that live within a 20 minute drive. Traveling and playing with more and more and more people that are good obviously makes you better, but if you have an alternative, then you can still be good without traveling.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
So you're saying that it is just as easy to get "extremely good" with every character (so you understand the intricacies of the matchups) as it is to travel around your city and play other smashers?

....?
Nope, the two are quite different. But learning the intricacies of all the matchups IS one step forward.

Sliq

Smash Master
No one here has said they being casual, have just a good a chance at defeating anyone that uses advanced techniques..
False. I see countless posts of people roughly stating, "I could compete with pros if insert change of ruleset here." Plenty of people have stated that if competitives didn't use gliches, didn't ban items, didn't ban certain stages that they could and would win.

What WAS said however was that a person who plays casually CAN beat someone with advanced techniques, this in itself is true and just simply an impossibility for it to not be, they may not be able to beat everyone, but they can beat some.
The odds of a casual beating a seasoned vet is so small that it is basically negligible. Just like a penny. Sure, a penny is money, but when you have $50 bucks on you, that penny is negligible, and you toss it on the ground, leave it in the tip jar (or leave a penny take a penny tray), or give it to the Salvation Army in a bucket by a guy with a bell.

Of course, to further improve someone would have to meet a larger array of opponents, but one does not need to travel to learn advanced techniques, which might I add can be practiced against even someone else who knows these same techniques. To say that traveling is the only way is clearly untrue and THAT is 99.99 percent true unlike your own fact, it cannot possibly that high.
False. Mindgames > Tech Skill

You can practice tech skill all you want, but your lack of experience will shine through when someone experienced plays you. They will seem to be psychic, knowing what you'll do, knowing where you'll tech, etc. Veterans are better at seeing and recognizing patterns and punishing said patterns.

Therefore, you can grow accustomed to how your buddy plays, but when you play someone who has played people like your buddy, and hundreds more, you will lose.

To further illustrate my point, here is a graph:

As you can see, you can develop your skills by not traveling. But if you compare it to the other bar, you will realize you are silly.

Calm down a bit, dude, wait till Brawl comes out when it's more convenient with Wi-Fi..

With that almost always, you opened the way for anyone, even me to be able to say "Hey that could be me" and that's just something I know you don't want happening, seeing from your post how you highly revere your skills.
Why wouldn't I want people to accept my challenge? Why would I put 100$ out there if I didn't want to play people who think, "Hey, I could win that money!"

But they won't.

Mendoksei...see folks that is the kind of thing I'm talking about, from years and years of building power and skill people just start getting into like, these Smash steroid rages and ****, it hurts my mind's ears, gosh...

Edit: I spelled casual wrong in my graph. -_-;

Nintendude

Smash Hero
You should check out one of Alpha Zealot's articles on some widely recognized Smashers, one of those written in there in fact is rather good with quite a number of characters, it is entirely doable even if one wants to main another character. What I'm trying to say is, if he wants to main Marth but practices on my mained Marth with Mario, he's eventually over time going to get good with Mario to the point that my mained Marth will have some at the very least some halfway decent knowledge about Mario. That is not to say however that other people play other Mario's different, there is however a common factor for all, all Marths can edge guard well, and this should be learned by all Marth's at some point or another, the same can be applied for Mario mains and Mario's strengths.
You mean someone like Azen? The reason why Azen is a 26 character wonder is because his circle of friends (H2YL) were some of the best players in the country at one point (and some still are). You know how that happened? They all traveled extensively (and I think they hosted tournaments themselves too) and still do.

With the Marth vs. Mario thing:
You say he's going to eventually get good with Mario. This is FALSE. His Mario will get good at fighting YOU. Once again, that doesn't make his Mario good.

The only knowledge you will gain, besides some basics on fighting Mario (like simply edgeguarding him), is how to fight a Mario that knows how to fight against you. It just goes in circles.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
Except then he only learns one thing: How to fight against YOU. That does NOT make him a good player and it will never make him a good player.

This is exactly why circle of friends smashers aren't as good as those who travel. They learn how to fight each other and that's it. They aren't exposed to any new things.
It might not make him necessarily good, but it will make him better, and no matter how little; that is the point which makes my "Traveling is not a concrete decider of "truly good" or not". There are other, while not as effective, ways to become "truly good", of course "truly good" depending on the perception of who says "truly good"

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
You mean someone like Azen? The reason why Azen is a 26 character wonder is because his circle of friends (H2YL) were some of the best players in the country at one point (and some still are). You know how that happened? They all traveled extensively (and I think they hosted tournaments themselves too) and still do.

With the Marth vs. Mario thing:
You say he's going to eventually get good with Mario. This is FALSE. His Mario will get good at fighting YOU. Once again, that doesn't make his Mario good.

The only knowledge you will gain, besides some basics on fighting Mario (like simply edgeguarding him), is how to fight a Mario that knows how to fight against you. It just goes in circles.
Plus the knowledge on how not only to fight me, but a Marth, and that is my point. Basically you're saying, what decides someone's skill and how good they are, is how much money and time they have and can afford to use in order to get better, and NOT their capacity as an individual who can learn.

Top Bottom