• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Points of clarification about Casual Vs. Competitive that everyone needs to read(WOP)

Micahc

Smash Ace
That's because that's how the Devs designed it! If you kill yourself, you having fun! If you play competitively you're not having fun! They just want you to have fun, not to get good at the game or anything.!

Silly buzz :p

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
That's because that's how the Devs designed it! If you kill yourself, you having fun! If you play competitively you're not having fun! They just want you to have fun, not to get good at the game or anything.!

I'm gonna play online and just see how many taunts I can get off in a match.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
I call fake.

You cannot prove that. And by the way; WD was kept in by the dev team when it was found, they could have taken it out but they did not. Mistake? I think not.
Tell me why we can't have one on one matches in with anyone. Tell me why we can't pick items, or the stage. Tell me why we have to play time matches. Why is recovery auto sweet spoted, why are items easier to catch. Wake up and smell the java. Thank god the 60,000 of us will find some new ATs and become the new smash lords.

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277

Who said playing competitively wasn't fun? Who are you to say that competitors don't get a thrill out of playing against high-level people. What you would consider fun and what someone ELSE would consider fun is up to them....NOT YOU

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Hypnotist, why in the world would those issues say that the developers don't encourage competitive play? They give us customization for a reason. They still make neutral stages like Battlefield and Sakurai said himself that balancing the characters is a major issue. And the way the physics currently work, I think the game is going to be very balanced.

Also, the reason online play works like that is so that it is fair to all four brawlers, despite how unfair the scenarios will be.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Who said playing competitively wasn't fun? Who are you to say that competitors don't get a thrill out of playing against high-level people. What you would consider fun and what someone ELSE would consider fun is up to them....NOT YOU
I think your sacasm-ometer is broken.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Hypnotist, why in the world would those issues say that the developers don't encourage competitive play? They give us customization for a reason. They still make neutral stages like Battlefield and Sakurai said himself that balancing the characters is a major issue. And the way the physics currently work, I think the game is going to be very balanced.

Also, the reason online play works like that is so that it is fair to all four brawlers, despite how unfair the scenarios will be.
You said the reason youself. So it would be "fair" to all four brawlers. Why can't you do a one on one match? And why the hell isn't there a ranking system? Don't lie to youselves people. Sakurai doesn't want people getting "owned" online. Which is sad because we make up less than half of a percent of the smash population. Not to mention rooms would make EVERYONE happy. If the devlopers and Nintendo ENCOURAGED competiive play there would be a ranking system, and you'd be able to actually pick your rules. I don't see why I can't have a match with four people with my rules, and people who agree with my rules are my 3 opponenets. And I doubt Sakurai knows crap about balancing characters (at least to our standards). Mewtwo and Fox were not balanced. I bet Sakurai thought Link was good (hyperbole?).

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
The online not only is irrelevant, but is the result of Nintendo's policies, not Sakurai's decisions. Sakurai has no choice about it, so it doesn't say anything about his viewpoints on competitive play.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Why can't you do a one on one match? And why the hell isn't there a ranking system? Don't lie to youselves people. Sakurai doesn't want people getting "owned" online. Which is sad because we make up less than half of a percent of the smash population. Not to mention rooms would make EVERYONE happy. If the devlopers and Nintendo ENCOURAGED competiive play there would be a ranking system, and you'd be able to actually pick your rules. I don't see why I can't have a match with four people with my rules, and people who agree with my rules are my 3 opponenets.
This kills me. Sorry, but Brawl's crappy online interface isn't an isolated incident. Go play basically any other online Nintendo game and you'll run into the same problems and limitations. If you really think it has anything to do specifically with Brawl, you're crazy. It is the way it is because of Nintendo's archaic online philosophy, and has nothing to do with the company's stance on the competitive Super Smash Bros. scene. :psycho:

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I'm gonna start a play2lose clan.
I want to join that clan.

As for online, yeah, that has nothing to do with Sakurai or Smash in general. The online is gonna be ******** in Brawl because Nintendo demands that online be ******** in ALL their games. And before you say I'm bashing on Nintendo, that they could change and all that, I would like to point out that...crap who was it Reggie or Iwata-san, I cant remember, said "We are not going to change the friends code system because from our experiences people LIKE the friends codes" So yeah, onlines gay cus the higher ups at Nintendo think we like it like that.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
This kills me. Sorry, but Brawl's crappy online interface isn't an isolated incident. Go play basically any other online Nintendo game and you'll run into the same problems and limitations. If you really think it has anything to do specifically with Brawl, you're crazy. It is the way it is because of Nintendo's archaic online philosophy, and has nothing to do with the company's stance on the competitive Super Smash Bros. scene. :psycho:
Strikers has a ranking system. And Sakurai is the one giving out pity final smashes and making spectator mode garbage. I seriously doubt Nintendo said "Sorry Sakurai but they can't even choose the stage they are watching the match on".

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
It is a demo. You cannot jump to conclusions. They probably auto'd it so it looks smoother at the demo.
Probably? WTF? Yeah it's a demo, but we have to speculate. Quit being fan boys. The online sucks, and ikt can't all be Nintendos fault. Not being able to choose what characters I can watch in Spectator mode is Sakurai's fault. And remeber guys, Stikers has a ranking system, We better get rooms.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Am I the only competitive smasher who is grateful for the simplified techniques? By reducing the effort that goes into thing like edge-hogging, I can focus on other new techniques that require as much devotion/proficiency to execute.

Foe

Smash Journeyman
Probably? WTF? Yeah it's a demo, but we have to speculate. Quit being fan boys. The online sucks, and ikt can't all be Nintendos fault. Not being able to choose what characters I can watch in Spectator mode is Sakurai's fault. And remeber guys, Stikers has a ranking system, We better get rooms.
How am I being a fan boy? It's truth.

You say we have to speculate and I am. I am claiming they auto'd on purpose. Don't be such a whiner. Honestly, Spectator Mode will suck anyways, who cares what character you watch. Chances are you will be watching someone who is not that good. If you want to see good people and/or pros you can watch them on youtube.

PaperLink

Smash Journeyman
It's not that Sakurai is discouraging competitive play, he just isn't keeping it in mind. What (I think, I'm not him) he wants is to make a fun game that is easy to pick up, and then the competitive scene will be the ones who make it hard to master. There isn't a ranking system because the top people will probably cheaters, the items are picked on lottery (as are the stages), and he isn't doing any of this so that people won't get owned. The best competitive players probably will be at tourneys more than they will be online.

And, you've asked why you can't pick specifics and have them match you? Good question, but there are options on that menu as well. Just because the screen said two minute time brawl doesn't mean that' s the only way. Obviously this might not be true, but you can't judge that what he showed us is all there is.

PaperLink

Smash Journeyman
Oh and you can do one on ones.

All you need is their FC/Wii #.
Exactly. Most of the people you'll want to play one on one are on smashboards. If you just have random 1v1's you'll just kill noobs one at a time. Also, there are other people who will want no items, there's a large chance that more than one person will want no times.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm conflicted about this though because while I like playing with items (the sentence "why are they in melee and brawl if not meant to be used?" comes to mind.) but I understand why some people wouldn't want to play with them. It's all about preference really isn't it?

I don't think I'll ever go to a tournament, just because I feel video games like Smash were originally made for our entertainment, for fun, not to get worked up about your skills and winning tournaments. That's just how I feel anyway.

It also saddens me, because I'm afraid one day I'll fight someone on wifi, I'll lose and that person will tell me what a loser I am because I can't wavedash or do all those special techniques and it will ruin my fun because I won't be able to play it for fun anymore because I'll know I'm crap.

Does that make sense? :ohwell:

By the way is there anywhere I can find out about these wavedashing and special techniques?

Micahc

Smash Ace
And I thought I was bad at finding written sarcasm. :dizzy:

Del Money

Smash Champion
...and this thread is still open...oh well, on to the topics...

Wave-dashing:
Note to the pathetic casuals:
If someone find a way to beat you, how pathetic is it to look for excuses? Trying to nix out a tactic just because it wasn't in the manual...I guess that makes short-hopping "cheap" as well. Find a way to win of just shut up and stop complaining. Unlss they are manipulating the entire game in some way to hinder your ability to play, you basically aren't that good and should try to get better...DEAL WITH IT! Besides, just because wavedashing is the most recognized advanced tech, does NOT means it's the most useful.

Note to the pathetic competitives:
Are you THAT insecure about your own video game skills that you take offense to the word "glitch"? Personally, I think the word "exploit" sounds more offensive, but still, the constant b1tching over semantics is about as pointless and the constant citing of stupid definitions that can easily be interpreted differently by various readers. We all already know it wasn't intended to be the move that competitive smashers had evolved it into. The fact that some of you whine about it being taken out of Brawl and that the casuals all "got their way" is even more sickening. Apparently you must be insecure about your skills again because one measly technique is gone. If you really are as "skilled" as you think you are, you'll find a way to excel at Brawl anyways.

Sliq's Ignorant Generalizations:
NO...NOT all casuals complain about EVERYTHING. Stop being a dicktard. You like to go on about your stupidass "Sliq Challenge"? Take my Money Challenge....find me ONE post of mine in which I complained about a competitive aspect/implementation of melee playing. I know I have over 2,000 posts so I'll sweeten the incentive a little more. I send you a bank-certified check for $1000 (or PayPal if you have one) IF you can find me ONE post in which I, a CASUAL SMASHER, pissed and moaned about a competitive aspect/implementation of melee playing (item usage, wavedashing, camping, etc). The one catch is that you can't cheat by getting one of your casual-hating mod buddies like friggin Zealot or Gimpy to edit ANY of my posts in your favor.

Believe it or not, most casuals on THIS site are like me. They play the game and understand the advanced techs. They DON'T claim to be experts at the game like you, Buzz, Hypnotist, and several others keep ignorantly repeating. Only difference between them and me is that I dislike item usage for the same reason items are banned from tournies...in fact I've disliked items LONG before I knew of the competitive smash scene.

I also hate playing on stages that can be as random and distracting as the items themselves (i.e. tourney-banned stages). So the only thing keeping me from being a competitive smasher is that I don't really have too much time or desire for tournies. I've got nothing to prove to the world by investing so much into playing a video game.

And lastly, you were blabbing on about casuals smashers are delusional and need to "man-up" if they think they could ever beat a competitive smasher. There are SEVERAL competitive smashers that by a PRO-PLAYER'S EVALUTION would probably be considered sucky. In fact, there are competitives that consistently place low in legit tournies all the time.

You honestly want to tell me that no casual--or better yet, no casual like me (in which the only thing keep me from being labeled "competitive" is my lack of tourney experience) can beat a tourney-regular who consistently places low. You're a total bigot (and a ****ing ignorant one too) if you really think that just because someone regularly attends tournies, they're automatically "good" at smash. Hell, I'm willing to bet there's more low-placing competitives on this site than there are highly-placing ones...they just don't have the testicular fortitude to ****ing admit it. They'd rather hide behind the veil of being a tourney regular or basically just suck the ***** of all the well-respected smashers on this site (though it's pretty sad if internet reputation holds that much value in your life).

Bashing the Brawl Boards...Just Because They're Casuals
I like how a lot of you look down on the Brawl boards...as if anticipation over a new smash game is a terrible thing. It really shows how full of yourselves you really are. People want to look forward to a NEW addition to the franchise instead of discussing melee and tournies and knowing the names of all the pros by heart and religiously studying all their matches and YouTube videos like some starstruck teenie-bopper...and then you like to play the "serious business" card when a flame war breaks out in the character threads...but when a flame war breaks out in the melee threads then it's "justified. Stop being ****ing hypocrites. Apart from some Brawl board users getting absurdly worked up over speculating the roster (which they have NO control over whatsoever) that they start baselessly overspeculating/trolling and the occasional anti-advanced techs person, they are guilty of nothing other than harmless discussion.

So basically, competitives and casuals need to stop being douches. Both are guilty of it. Only reasons I'm attacking the competitives more is because this stupidass thread makes it seem like competitives are the victims on this site...which is horse****, considering that majority of the moderating team for this site are competitive smashers and because this thread itself as all been "let's rant about how much we hate casual smashers and make sarcastic remarks and posting unfunny images to try and look cool". I can't to see what responses I get to this...*cracks open a Sam Adams*

perpetual ownage

Smash Journeyman
...and this thread is still open...oh well, on to the topics...

Wave-dashing:
Note to the pathetic casuals:
If someone find a way to beat you, how pathetic is it to look for excuses? Trying to nix out a tactic just because it wasn't in the manual...I guess that makes short-hopping "cheap" as well. Find a way to win of just shut up and stop complaining. Unlss they are manipulating the entire game in some way to hinder your ability to play, you basically aren't that good and should try to get better...DEAL WITH IT! Besides, just because wavedashing is the most recognized advanced tech, does NOT means it's the most useful.

Note to the pathetic competitives:
Are you THAT insecure about your own video game skills that you take offense to the word "glitch"? Personally, I think the word "exploit" sounds more offensive, but still, the constant b1tching over semantics is about as pointless and the constant citing of stupid definitions that can easily be interpreted differently by various readers. We all already know it wasn't intended to be the move that competitive smashers had evolved it into. The fact that some of you whine about it being taken out of Brawl and that the casuals all "got their way" is even more sickening. Apparently you must be insecure about your skills again because one measly technique is gone. If you really are as "skilled" as you think you are, you'll find a way to excel at Brawl anyways.

Sliq's Ignorant Generalizations:
NO...NOT all casuals complain about EVERYTHING. Stop being a dicktard. You like to go on about your stupidass "Sliq Challenge"? Take my Money Challenge....find me ONE post of mine in which I complained about a competitive aspect/implementation of melee playing. I know I have over 2,000 posts so I'll sweeten the incentive a little more. I send you a bank-certified check for $1000 (or PayPal if you have one) IF you can find me ONE post in which I, a CASUAL SMASHER, pissed and moaned about a competitive aspect/implementation of melee playing (item usage, wavedashing, camping, etc). The one catch is that you can't cheat by getting one of your casual-hating mod buddies like friggin Zealot or Gimpy to edit ANY of my posts in your favor.

Believe it or not, most casuals on THIS site are like me. They play the game and understand the advanced techs. They DON'T claim to be experts at the game like you, Buzz, Hypnotist, and several others keep ignorantly repeating. Only difference between them and me is that I dislike item usage for the same reason items are banned from tournies...in fact I've disliked items LONG before I knew of the competitive smash scene.

I also hate playing on stages that can be as random and distracting as the items themselves (i.e. tourney-banned stages). So the only thing keeping me from being a competitive smasher is that I don't really have too much time or desire for tournies. I've got nothing to prove to the world by investing so much into playing a video game.

And lastly, you were blabbing on about casuals smashers are delusional and need to "man-up" if they think they could ever beat a competitive smasher. There are SEVERAL competitive smashers that by a PRO-PLAYER'S EVALUTION would probably be considered sucky. In fact, there are competitives that consistently place low in legit tournies all the time.

You honestly want to tell me that no casual--or better yet, no casual like me (in which the only thing keep me from being labeled "competitive" is my lack of tourney experience) can beat a tourney-regular who consistently places low. You're a total bigot (and a ****ing ignorant one too) if you really think that just because someone regularly attends tournies, they're automatically "good" at smash. Hell, I'm willing to bet there's more low-placing competitives on this site than there are highly-placing ones...they just don't have the testicular fortitude to ****ing admit it. They'd rather hide behind the veil of being a tourney regular or basically just suck the ***** of all the well-respected smashers on this site (though it's pretty sad if internet reputation holds that much value in your life).

Bashing the Brawl Boards...Just Because They're Casuals
I like how a lot of you look down on the Brawl boards...as if anticipation over a new smash game is a terrible thing. It really shows how full of yourselves you really are. People want to look forward to a NEW addition to the franchise instead of discussing melee and tournies and knowing the names of all the pros by heart and religiously studying all their matches and YouTube videos like some starstruck teenie-bopper...and then you like to play the "serious business" card when a flame war breaks out in the character threads...but when a flame war breaks out in the melee threads then it's "justified. Stop being ****ing hypocrites. Apart from some Brawl board users getting absurdly worked up over speculating the roster (which they have NO control over whatsoever) that they start baselessly overspeculating/trolling and the occasional anti-advanced techs person, they are guilty of nothing other than harmless discussion.

So basically, competitives and casuals need to stop being douches. Both are guilty of it. Only reasons I'm attacking the competitives more is because this stupidass thread makes it seem like competitives are the victims on this site...which is horse****, considering that majority of the moderating team for this site are competitive smashers and because this thread itself as all been "let's rant about how much we hate casual smashers and make sarcastic remarks and posting unfunny images to try and look cool". I can't to see what responses I get to this...*cracks open a Sam Adams*
You seem to be full of anger and hatred. Not just towards competitives who have never done anything to hurt you but just in general. And why did you call Alpha Zealot and Gimpyfish ****ers? They have never done anything wrong or injust to you ever. Also, competitives hardly ever complain about the lack of wavedashing. Most have gotten over it. If anyone complains about it, it's usually me. No-one has ever said speculating is dumb or wrong. Just over-speculation. If you could find an example of competitives hating on casuals for speculating, then please show me where. Get over your arrogance, pride and your elitist casual attitude.

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace
Brawl is shaping itself for the casual gamer, but still fits the needs of competitive ones.
The mechanics are changed and everything is a little bit easier.

Do you think that the casual gamer can take over the competitive scene, or is that literally a contridiction?

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Brawl is shaping itself for the casual gamer, but still fits the needs of competitive ones.
The mechanics are changed and everything is a little bit easier.

Do you think that the casual gamer can take over the competitive scene, or is that literally a contridiction?
That would be a contradiction, because as soon as the 'casual' players take over the scene, they'd be 'competitive'!

But if by 'casual', you mean 'I have no idea what competitive rules are or why they exist WHAT NO ITEMS? must flame', then no. By 'casual', I hope you mean 'I don't go to tournaments often/at all but I'm interested in reaching that level of play for Brawl', then we'll see.

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace
That would be a contradiction, because as soon as the 'casual' players take over the scene, they'd be 'competitive'!

But if by 'casual', you mean 'I have no idea what competitive rules are or why they exist WHAT NO ITEMS? must flame', then no. By 'casual', I hope you mean 'I don't go to tournaments often/at all but I'm interested in reaching that level of play for Brawl', then we'll see.
Yes, I do mean that.

What I'm talking about, is if you look at the gameplay of brawl, it is a lot more balanced for both characters.

It's not like, supermegafastcomboinguberpwnage.

It's perfect for anybody to pick up and play, and it'll reshape the competitive scene, you bet.

BTW, tournaments have been given more options because of Online Fuctionality.
So Brawl has tons of oppurtunities.

:)

Del Money

Smash Champion
You seem to be full of anger and hatred. Not just towards competitives who have never done anything to hurt you but just in general.
HAHAHAHAHAHHA...wow that's funny....funny that you probably ignored like 90% of my post and only picked out something that offends you. Go back and read the bull**** generalizations in this thread....automatically lumping me into an item-using, wavedash-hating, self-praising smasher. I do NONE of those things, but apparently all the competitives in this ****ing thread know me better than I know myself...ya know, since I don't go to tournies and such...

And why did you call Alpha Zealot and Gimpyfish ****ers? They have never done anything wrong or injust to you ever.
Remind me again when I said that?

Also, competitives hardly ever complain about the lack of wavedashing. Most have gotten over it.
That's a lie. Otherwise there wouldn't still be ******** anti-casual posts like..."der dem stoopid cashooals r haveeng a feeld day beecuz thairs no wayvedasheeng in teh brawlzorz...and dey theenk dat da playeeng feeld wil now be eeven and dey mite bee ayble to win beecuz of dat but dey cant beet us cuz dey iz stoopid cashooal noobzorz".

If you could find an example of competitives hating on casuals for speculating, then please show me where.
"Show Me Your News" podcast says "howdy friggin doody"...

Get over your arrogance, pride and your elitist casual attitude.
ELITIST CASUAL ATTITUDE HAHAHAHA...thats a good one. Because I claim to be good at Melee, right? Because I accuse everyone in the Brawl boards of being noobs, right? Because I look down on someone for their lack of skill in a friggin video game, right? Because I have a forum signature to show off how good I think I am at who I main, right? WRONG. If I suck at a game, I admit it. If I'm good at a game, I'm humble about it. There's nothing for me to gain for lying to myself and making excuses for why I lose just as there's nothing for me to gain by winning and announcing it to everyone on da interwebz for "eRespect". If I suck, then I suck, but I DON'T need some asshat competitive player telling me I suck without any ****ing proof except for these stupid imaginary guidelines for being a respected smasher of SWF that you guys have pulled out of the blue. It's like if you have a low post count, if you're not a tourney regular, or if you frequent the Brawl section, then you're automatically one of the forum b!tches. It's like competitive players on this site get erect every time they talk down to casual players.

If you all hate casual players so much for your lame reasons that the majority of casual on THIS site don;t even fit then do yourself a favor and ask your admin Scav to start perma-banning all non-tournies goers...how's that for a late ****ing Christmas present?

perpetual ownage

Smash Journeyman
I didn't ignore any of your post. you called Alpha Zealot a ****er quote "The one catch is that you can't cheat by getting one of your casual-hating mod buddies like friggin Zealot or Gimpy to edit ANY of my posts in your favor." You claim that my response was a lie while everything you have said is a lie. you said read the full post and I did. You are full of hate, anger, spite and more. I can clearly see it in your posts. You don't have any place in this thread and stop acting like you own and run SWF. I don't hate casuals at all nor do I think their way of playing is wrong.

Del Money

Smash Champion
you called Alpha Zealot a ****er quote "The one catch is that you can't cheat by getting one of your casual-hating mod buddies like friggin Zealot or Gimpy to edit ANY of my posts in your favor."
I fail to see how that's calling him a "****er". If you really want me to call him one, all you gotta do is ask...
You claim that my response was a lie while everything you have said is a lie.
Read the first 60 pages of this thread first before you tell me I'm a liar.
You are full of hate, anger, spite and more. I can clearly see it in your posts.
HAHAHAHAHHA...I might have to sig this...
You don't have any place in this thread and stop acting like you own and run SWF.
I really don't know where you're drawing that conclusion from.
I don't hate casuals at all nor do I think their way of playing is wrong.
Funny, I never said anything about "way of playing". Why are you assuming ALL casuals have a way of playing that is different than competitive players. If really you read my post you would know that I specifically said the only thing keeping me from being labeled as "competitive" is my lack of tourney participation. And that there are SEVERAL casuals that fit my description as well so it's not like I'm an anomaly. It's things like that which made me think you really weren't paying attention at all, but I'll take your word for it...anything to get you off my case about me having anger issues, dear Lord. Anyways, It's good to know you are not full of "hate, anger, spite, and more" towards casuals. If only you could speak for the others in this thread...

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
The way i see it and I hope this clarifies things is that there are two main aspects of player skill in melee, those being metagame (mingames) and technical skill. before I even start I want to say Mingames = technical. One is not superior to the other. You can't play if you can't move your character and you will always lose if you are as predictable as a computer.
1) Technical
Technical skill is the ability to move your character in whatever way possible. If you are the technical then you can punish your opponent for their mistakes. Technical is basically execution. Further more if you are technical you have more options in a certain situation.

2) Mindgames
This is the mental aspect of the game. This is your ability to predict the opponents moves, and react to them accordingly, thus sending a signal to your fingers to do what your mind has planned.

3) Mindgames + Technical = success
I am not saying that if you are not technical you can't play, but you have more options to use if you are. Say you don't use C- stick. The options that you have now are all according to the physics of the game. You can't jump backwards and do a forward aerial attack. This is a good technique for evading your opponent while setting up a wall between them. By not using c- stick you are limiting yourself to certain number of moves and ways to punish someone. If you can use advanced techniques you have a lot more options under your belt to use if an opponent makes a stupid mistake. To finish this section off I'm going to use fox as an example. A technical fox has tons of options under his belt to properly punish an opponent. (shine spiking; up throw , up air; crouch canceled Up smashes; infinite shinning, etc.) If you can't wavedash or even jump out of shine you just took out ton of things that you could use to punish your opponent. Really with fox without being technical you have only and up-throw to up air, up smashes, and a couple of other very limiting punishments. Fox is top tier only if you've "unlocked" his moves.

4) Items: It has been stated already but might as well add this. Items add luck to the game and thus make the winner not the player with the most skill, simply the one with the most luck.

5) Stages: Certain stages are banned because they add a lot of unfairness to the game. They give certain characters (top tier) andadvantage over others. Like hyrule temple for example. Fox could simply spam lasers and run away the entire match, and there are only a few characters that could do something about it. (falco, shiek, cpt. falcon, may be pikachu, and ness) Therefore that stage was banned. similar things happened to other stages, that way all characters could have a fighting chance. The stages left are the most fair to all characters and make the match more fun in my opinion.

6) Competitive vs Casual: A competitive player is player that wants to get better while having fun, and a casual player is only a player that wants to play for fun and not get better. There is nothing wrong with either of these because not everyone wants to get better at smash. If you are a player that shuns and excludes other players from your group because they want to get better by using advanced techniques then you are not only limiting their progress and fun, but also your own. You will never get past a certain point if you limit yourself. Finally using advanced techniques is fun. It looks awesome makes your character seems much faster, and opens up a whole new level of the game. No top player will say they regret using advanced moves.

If there is something else that needs clarification let me know.
BTW there are a lot of great threads under the melee discussion section in the official everything thread under the 2.0 section, that say all that i just said and probably explain it better than I ever could.

And seriously chill out It's only a game and you shouldn't come on the boards to make enemies. just state your point without flaming others.
-crunch out

Del Money

Smash Champion
@AlphaZealot
The "friggin" part wasn't meant as an attack...it was more of frustration towards Sliq's narrow-mindedness. And plus I was more or less giving an example of competitive smashers who visited this thread and posts in a pro-competitive, anti-casual (or at least anti-the_common_misinterpretation_of_casual_on_this_site) manner. I'm not accusing you of inappropriately editing people's posts either, but with a $1000 bet like that, I have to announce the "no cheating" rule. Basically, there is no post I ever made complaining about anything being "cheap" or about items supposedly being the way the game is meant to be played. And most casuals on this site are similar...so Sliq is basically full of ****.

@CaptainCrunch
You're post was adequate enough and was more or less the same view I shared. It was more or less, the very things I had posted here like a month ago until I realized no one wants to listen to reason. Once again, a stupid division between competitive and casuals players of something so petty as a video game is pathetic. This a forum dedicated to one video game franchise and one video game franchise only. This isn't Gamefaqs or NSider or any of those others. This site also favors competitive smashers over casual smashers, seeing as majority of the site administration are competitive smashers and the fact that the best smashers in the world are frequent visitors of these boards.

That being said, if ANYONE is drawing the line of division and instigating a division between competitives and casuals on this site, it's the competitive gamers. So what if you see some people on this site complaining about stuff they think is "cheap". Hell, in a thread I made here about my combo video (which I never claimed to be good, for the record), a casual came in and said something about cheapness and glitches and hacks and how they supposed are done in all tournament videos that he's watched...and yes I damm well set him straight to that he wouldn't post something so ignorant...so it's not like I'm denying that there are people like that on this forum. But realistically, how many one them came to this thread? And now, how many competitive came to this thread and accusing casuals of being whiners and complainers? If the supposed "mindset" of the casual population is so common on these boards then why am I, and like 3 or 4 others, pretty much the only casuals in this thread?

Basically, this whole debate is pointless. This thread is pointless. And both casuals and competitives alike need to stop thinking they have something to prove to each other. It's a video game for Christ's sake.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
this topic is the reason why everyone including me thinks smashboards is stupid

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
I still have a lack of understanding of why people are drawing lines between casuals and competitive. The difference is not that big and you both play smash for fun. Competitive players don't play smash because they want to get money. Actually you are never guaranteed money and you could be making a lot more money doing other things. Most people enter tourneys because they want the biggest possible challenge and want to have the most intense matches possible. The only way to really make matches intense is to put something on the line, be it pride, or money.(crew battles, tourneys) I pretty much had brought smash to my school and play with casual players all the time. I got them past the whole c- stick is cheap thing and advanced techniques by helping them out and explaining things to them. That adv techs. are cheap is just a defensive act they take to not make themselves feel as bad or diminish your skill. It's just a misunderstanding. Don't draw lines because we both play the same game and can easily get along.

PaperLink

Smash Journeyman
Look, the online, it's mainly Nintendo's fault. But you'd be lying to youself (or you don't play games online much) if you really liked the online in Brawl.
See, the fact that it even has online is the only thing I care about. I play Xbox LIVE a lot, and Brawl's online seems fine to me. I guess I'm just tolerant. Not to say the online is great, but It does its job. If it is laggy, well, that's a problem for later, but right now we don't have any info saying whether it's laggy or not.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
Its common sense that the farther the other person you are playing against is the more lag there will be. The game mechanics were also prob changed so the game wouldn't be as speed oriented like melee. Playing with nearby friends or even with people in neighboring states should be no problem, but playing overseas might cause some lag.

Top Bottom