• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Points of clarification about Casual Vs. Competitive that everyone needs to read(WOP)

Sliq

Smash Master
I don't think I'll ever go to a tournament, just because I feel video games like Smash were originally made for our entertainment, for fun, not to get worked up about your skills and winning tournaments. That's just how I feel anyway.
Nice unsupported opinion that is completely ********. No one cares.

It also saddens me, because I'm afraid one day I'll fight someone on wifi, I'll lose and that person will tell me what a loser I am because I can't wavedash or do all those special techniques and it will ruin my fun because I won't be able to play it for fun anymore because I'll know I'm crap.
If you are such a delicate flower, I'd suggest not ever going on the internet. And if you want to win, you have to be good. You can't have your cake and eat it too (because you have diabetes).

Yeah this is true. It's to the point that their emotions completely take over too. They will read something thinking you have it out for them and take things completely and totally out of context and get upset over it. One time I started a paragraph with "From my vantage point" which obviously means from my perspective and what not, but some guy read it as me being really high up looking down on him. It's kinda hard to try and communicate to someone who gets so riled up that he can't even read something without assuming I'm looking down on them or think they are ********.
That's why I basically call them ********, that way they don't embarrass themselves, making them actually look like a ******. See. I'm not a mean guy. I'm doing it for their sake.

I'm gonna play online and just see how many taunts I can get off in a match.
This sounds like the best idea I have ever heard.

Sliq's Ignorant Generalizations:
NO...NOT all casuals complain about EVERYTHING.
No ****. I never claimed that. I claimed a majority of casuals that post on SWF don't think highly of competitives and AT's. And if I did claim ALL casuals do this, then it was an obvious hyperbole.

Stop being a dicktard.
No.

You like to go on about your stupidass "Sliq Challenge"? Take my Money Challenge....find me ONE post of mine in which I complained about a competitive aspect/implementation of melee playing.
First off, I don't have access to all of your posts (you apparently opted to post all 2000 of your posts within a 1 month span, so your oldest posts aren't there, and those were the only ones worth looking at).

Secondly, I'm not going to waste my time looking through all of your posts. I had hoped to read the last page of your oldest posts from 2006, but they aren't there, just some ******** blubbering about characters in Brawl. BAWWWW GENO BAWWW BOMBERMAN.

Lastly, I challenge you to read through my posts and find ONE racist statement. If you can't, you'll be forced to recognize that jerks can not be racist. Oh wait, that would be ********.

The one catch is that you can't cheat by getting one of your casual-hating mod buddies like friggin Zealot or Gimpy to edit ANY of my posts in your favor.
Are you high? Gimpyfish HATES me, and me and AlphaZealot aren't BFF. He modded me in the Pound 3 thread, which, besides proving that I am an asshat, also proves he is a very good mod without any sort of biases. **** you for insinuating AlphaZealot is a bad mod. I agree with your assessment of Gimpyfish though. What a butt, that guy (j/k, me and Gimpyfish are like Mary Kate and Ashley, except we didn't solve straight to VHS mysteries when we were younger).

Believe it or not, most casuals on THIS site are like me. They play the game and understand the advanced techs. They DON'T claim to be experts at the game like you, Buzz, Hypnotist, and several others keep ignorantly repeating.
From my experience, you are vastly mistaken about the majority of casuals on this site.

Also, I never claimed to be an expert.

Only difference between them and me is that I dislike item usage for the same reason items are banned from tournies...in fact I've disliked items LONG before I knew of the competitive smash scene.
Actually, the only difference I see is the fact that you opted to not be a ******* and come up with an origianl name for your SWF account, as opposed to Mariomaster99 or Hylian_Kinght_LOZ.

I also hate playing on stages that can be as random and distracting as the items themselves (i.e. tourney-banned stages). So the only thing keeping me from being a competitive smasher is that I don't really have too much time or desire for tournies. I've got nothing to prove to the world by investing so much into playing a video game.
Apparently you have something to prove by investing so much time making a wall o text on a public forum on the INTERNET. Time well spent. (It should be noted that I never said that I spend my time much more wisely than other people.)

And lastly, you were blabbing on about casuals smashers are delusional and need to "man-up" if they think they could ever beat a competitive smasher. There are SEVERAL competitive smashers that by a PRO-PLAYER'S EVALUTION would probably be considered sucky. In fact, there are competitives that consistently place low in legit tournies all the time.
No, there aren't. Almost any veteran competitive player will beat either a newer competitive player, or a casual. It's about experience, not about a label.

You honestly want to tell me that no casual--or better yet, no casual like me (in which the only thing keep me from being labeled "competitive" is my lack of tourney experience) can beat a tourney-regular who consistently places low. You're a total bigot (and a ****ing ignorant one too) if you really think that just because someone regularly attends tournies, they're automatically "good" at smash.
That experience is what separates you from the seasoned competitive. No veteran competitive player that frequently attends tournaments consistently places low. The more they attend tournaments, the better they get. Just because they don't go from last place to winning money doesn't mean they aren't progressing. This progression is what separates you.

Experience is what separates casuals from competitives. It wouldn't be that outrageous for a casual to beat someone new to the competitive scene. But a seasoned veteran will win, even if there placement at tournaments is mediocre when compared to those who are placing consistently and winning money.

Hell, I'm willing to bet there's more low-placing competitives on this site than there are highly-placing ones...they just don't have the testicular fortitude to ****ing admit it. They'd rather hide behind the veil of being a tourney regular or basically just suck the ***** of all the well-respected smashers on this site (though it's pretty sad if internet reputation holds that much value in your life).
This is probably the most ******** thing I've ever read. First off, you need to determine what is high placing and what isn't. For example, if the top 50% is high placing, and the bottom 50% is low placing, then THEY ARE EQUAL. Seriously, what a ****ing weak argument. Everyone's definition of high placing will be different.

Bashing the Brawl Boards...Just Because They're Casuals
I like how a lot of you look down on the Brawl boards...as if anticipation over a new smash game is a terrible thing. It really shows how full of yourselves you really are. People want to look forward to a NEW addition to the franchise instead of discussing melee and tournies and knowing the names of all the pros by heart and religiously studying all their matches and YouTube videos like some starstruck teenie-bopper...and then you like to play the "serious business" card when a flame war breaks out in the character threads...but when a flame war breaks out in the melee threads then it's "justified. Stop being ****ing hypocrites. Apart from some Brawl board users getting absurdly worked up over speculating the roster (which they have NO control over whatsoever) that they start baselessly overspeculating/trolling and the occasional anti-advanced techs person, they are guilty of nothing other than harmless discussion.
tl;dr

Jerk off bawwwws about people being mean in the Brawl boards on a message boards on the INTERNET.

So basically, competitives and casuals need to stop being douches. Both are guilty of it. Only reasons I'm attacking the competitives more is because this stupidass thread makes it seem like competitives are the victims on this site...which is horse****, considering that majority of the moderating team for this site are competitive smashers and because this thread itself as all been "let's rant about how much we hate casual smashers and make sarcastic remarks and posting unfunny images to try and look cool". I can't to see what responses I get to this...*cracks open a Sam Adams*
tl;dr

More bawwwwing.

Del Money

Smash Champion
See, the fact that it even has online is the only thing I care about. I play Xbox LIVE a lot, and Brawl's online seems fine to me. I guess I'm just tolerant. Not to say the online is great, but It does its job. If it is laggy, well, that's a problem for later, but right now we don't have any info saying whether it's laggy or not.
True, but I believe the lagged would be more controlled and fluctuate a lot less than say Smash 64 on Kaillera.

Nice unsupported opinion that is completely ********. No one cares.
Kinda like the notion that Smash Bros should be "serious business" is completely ********. Oh and for the record, no one cares.

If you are such a delicate flower, I'd suggest not ever going on the internet. And if you want to win, you have to be good. You can't have your cake and eat it too (because you have diabetes).
Here that, kids? Take note...only way to get respect in life is to be a pro-level smash player.

That's why I basically call them ********, that way they don't embarrass themselves, making them actually look like a ******. See. I'm not a mean guy. I'm doing it for their sake.
If by "their sake", you mean "your amusement" then by all means good sir you are correct.

new waffle for a new page IMO is needed
I got a better idea...

Sliq

Smash Master
Kinda like the notion that Smash Bros should be "serious business" is completely ********. Oh and for the record, no one cares.
I never claimed Smash Bros. should be serious business. Also, I don't really consider fun serious business. I generally consider it the opposite, but sometimes I make my serious face when I have fun, just because. It looks kind of like this:

T_T

Here that, kids? Take note...only way to get respect in life is to be a pro-level smash player.
Wow, just wow. If you get offended by something someone says anonymously over the internet, then you really shouldn't go on the internet. I fail to see how being a whiny ***** who gives a **** about what someone, whom you don't know, says about you through the internet has anything to do with your ability in a video game.

If you cry yourself to sleep because someone was mean to you over the internet, you're better off just killing yourself.

If by "their sake", you mean "your amusement" then by all means good sir you are correct.
See, you do get me. Willickers!

Del Money

Smash Champion
Secondly, I'm not going to waste my time looking through all of your posts. I had hoped to read the last page of your oldest posts from 2006, but they aren't there, just some ******** blubbering about characters in Brawl. BAWWWW GENO BAWWW BOMBERMAN.
OH NOEZ...ANTICIPATION OF BRAWL...CALLZORZ IN TEH NATIONAL GUARD!!!!
Lastly, I challenge you to read through my posts and find ONE racist statement. If you can't, you'll be forced to recognize that jerks can not be racist. Oh wait, that would be ********.
Maybe, but I never accused you of being a racist. Whereas you generalized and accused me of being an item-loving, advanced-tech-hating, self-praising smasher. Why you kept insisting I'm something I'm not is beyond me...insecure much? And for the record, you can't assume some is a casual player just because they post is the Brawl section...THAT'S ********.

Are you high?
High on life, beeyatch!

**** you for insinuating AlphaZealot is a bad mod.
First off, that wouldn't work....I like it too rough for most people (assuming that's the F-word of course). And second, I never insinuated Zealot was a bad mod. I insinuated he'd probably help your sorry *** swindle $1000 out of my pocket (assuming you cared for the bet) since he's pro-competitive/anti-casual...just like you.

From my experience, you are vastly mistaken about the majority of casuals on this site.
Then why haven't the "majority" of them retorted in the manner you predicted they would in this thread. It's pretty much only me in here and I've already proven I don't fit any of the criteria you love to label "casuals" under.

Actually, the only difference I see is the fact that you opted to not be a ******* and come up with an origianl name for your SWF account, as opposed to Mariomaster99 or Hylian_Kinght_LOZ.
Should user name really make a difference?

Apparently you have something to prove by investing so much time making a wall o text on a public forum on the INTERNET. Time well spent. (It should be noted that I never said that I spend my time much more wisely than other people.)
Not really. Actually, I had insomnia all of yesterday night up through the morning...I've always advised not to work out before going to sleep and now I see why. What better way to kill time that ****ing around on SWF?

No, there aren't. Almost any veteran competitive player will beat either a newer competitive player, or a casual. It's about experience, not about a label.

That experience is what separates you from the seasoned competitive. No veteran competitive player that frequently attends tournaments consistently places low. The more they attend tournaments, the better they get. Just because they don't go from last place to winning money doesn't mean they aren't progressing. This progression is what separates you.

Experience is what separates casuals from competitives. It wouldn't be that outrageous for a casual to beat someone new to the competitive scene. But a seasoned veteran will win, even if there placement at tournaments is mediocre when compared to those who are placing consistently and winning money.
I never said anything about a "seasoned" veteran. I meant a veteran who hides under the veil of being a tourney regulars, goes to a ****ton of tournies, and yet never improves. Why may they never improve? Because they could still go to tournies regularly, but be too arrogant to take other's advice and think they're are better than they really are and make lame excuses for placing low. This fits the definition of "scrub" so I guess it's not limited to just casuals now, is it?

This is probably the most ******** thing I've ever read.
ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?!?!

First off, you need to determine what is high placing and what isn't. For example, if the top 50% is high placing, and the bottom 50% is low placing, then THEY ARE EQUAL. Seriously, what a ****ing weak argument. Everyone's definition of high placing will be different.
Are you even listening to yourself? 50% and 50%? Holy ****...so basically you're saying that NO ONE can possibly PLACE LAST in a TOURNAMENT....dear Lord.

bawwwws....More bawwwwing.
HAHAHAHHHAHAA...YOU USE "BAWWWWING"? HAHAHAHAHAH...omg how humorously pathetic. LMAO....I needed that good laugh for the day.

If you cry yourself to sleep because someone was mean to you over the internet, you're better off just killing yourself.
And if you honestly believe anyone without a mental disorder actually does, then you're better off just killing yourself.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Sometimes I like to imagine that Smash Boards is an NBA forum where all the superstars of the league come to post about basketball. Besides the NBA players, many other basketball enthusiasts and former college or high-school ball players come to post. Everyone loves basketball and enjoys discussing the ins and outs of the game.

Then some fifteen year old kids storm onto the scene and start sputtering about how true basketball players play H-O-R-S-E, and how dribbling isn't really an important aspect of the game because they ALWAYS win without it.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Sometimes I like to imagine that Smash Boards is an NBA forum where all the superstars of the league come to post about basketball. Besides the NBA players, many other basketball enthusiasts and former college or high-school ball players come to post. Everyone loves basketball and enjoys discussing the ins and outs of the game.

Then some fifteen year old kids storm onto the scene and start sputtering about how true basketball players play H-O-R-S-E, and how dribbling isn't really an important aspect of the game because they ALWAYS win without it.
Personally, I would've preferred a rugby or football analog...but that works too.

Saor Gael

Smash Apprentice
I have never met a casual smasher who had more technical skill than a competitive smasher. And how is being better different than being more skilled? I can see someone being better than someone who is more technical, but skill = winning. It doesn't matter how you get there. Winning makes you more skillful.
I mean they think they are superior people. The thing is that being good at a video game does not equal being a superior human being.

There's always going to be those people. The humble, and the not humble. Get over it?

I play soccer at a very high competitive level. One kid on my team got invited to play on a Brazilian soccer team and train to be on a pro team. This kid is the nicest and quietest kid. You would not think of him to be some big star. Then there is some other kid who locally is good, but otherwise isn't that good. He hasn't been recognized by any state-level squads like most of my team. He though, thinks he is the best. He is top 3 on my team, but our bench warmers get more attention.

What I am trying to say: That's life. And the people who are humble have respect for being humble. The people who say they are the best do not and are not liked. Karma goes around.

And the people winning 10,000$ in a smash tourney who say you suck and they are better are most likely are right. Maybe you don't suck, but to what they do, you suck. I used to play casual, and I like competitive better. Before everyone makes claims about competitive players and how they act and how it's not right: Look in the **** mirror. We have all played casual and sometimes still do. Most of you cannot wavedash. Take a walk in our shoes and then start making claims.
Thank you for pointing out the obvious that had nothing to do with what I was saying.

They can be as obnoxious as they like. They also must reap the results; as in, everyone despises them. I was merely pointing out that the behaviour of some is a major cause of the competitive/casual rift. :lick:

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Not to be off-topic, but has anyone else noticed how many /v/irgins are present on Smashboards? Is no sector of the internet sacred? Is there no place where we are safe from the corrupting grasp of Anonymous?

who8therice

Smash Cadet
I never said anything about a "seasoned" veteran. I meant a newbie who hides under the veil of being a tourney regulars, goes to a ****ton of tournies, and yet never improves.
fixed:)

first, seasoned=veteran

second, no veteran won't improve. Veteran means they have gone to many tournaments in the past and are used to the tournament scene. If they continue going to tourneys, and are fighting at a higher level than just your friends or family, and learning the mindgrames to go with the tech, they will improve. Unless they don't care about any of it, in which they would never have gone to other tournaments in the first place, and a 1 time tourney goer is not a veteran. There really is no "veteran" that fits your description: "...hides under the veil of being a tourney regulars, goes to a ****ton of tournies, and yet never improves."

Only real disagreement from me. Of course, you and everyone else will ignore this due to me being new...:ohwell:

perpetual ownage

Smash Journeyman
Give sliq your $1000 dollars now Del Money. If you are dumb enough to offer it, then just give it to him. What legit points about anything are you even trying to make?

Sliq

Smash Master
I'd be more inclined to respond to Del Money, but now that I'm no longer at work I don't need to kill time, so I'm going to go to something productive (i.e. poop).

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Maybe, but I never accused you of being a racist. Whereas you generalized and accused me of being an item-loving, advanced-tech-hating, self-praising smasher. Why you kept insisting I'm something I'm not is beyond me...insecure much? And for the record, you can't assume some is a casual player just because they post is the Brawl section...THAT'S ********.

First off, that wouldn't work....I like it too rough for most people (assuming that's the F-word of course). And second, I never insinuated Zealot was a bad mod. I insinuated he'd probably help your sorry *** swindle $1000 out of my pocket (assuming you cared for the bet) since he's pro-competitive/anti-casual...just like you.

This is the comment that made me reply... AZ isn't anti-casual. What's anti-casual about telling people that they have certain facts wrong? He's probably one of the more knowledgeable people in the smash competitive scene right now. You're basically saying all competitive players are anti-casual, that's generalizing. If you feel like all competitive players think that all casuals play on temple all items very high then you're wrong. It's about as accurate as all casuals thinking that competitive players only play fox dittos on FD with no items.

Then why haven't the "majority" of them retorted in the manner you predicted they would in this thread. It's pretty much only me in here and I've already proven I don't fit any of the criteria you love to label "casuals" under.

They have, this thread has a lot of pages already. Plus all the other threads similar to it.

Should user name really make a difference?

Um... that was his point...

Not really. Actually, I had insomnia all of yesterday night up through the morning...I've always advised not to work out before going to sleep and now I see why. What better way to kill time that ****ing around on SWF?

That's what I'm doing + avoiding homework. In fact any competitive player that posts here probably does that (I'm looking at you Buzz, MookieRah, Hypnotist, Sliq)

I never said anything about a "seasoned" veteran. I meant a veteran who hides under the veil of being a tourney regulars, goes to a ****ton of tournies, and yet never improves. Why may they never improve? Because they could still go to tournies regularly, but be too arrogant to take other's advice and think they're are better than they really are and make lame excuses for placing low. This fits the definition of "scrub" so I guess it's not limited to just casuals now, is it?

Are you even listening to yourself? 50% and 50%? Holy ****...so basically you're saying that NO ONE can possibly PLACE LAST in a TOURNAMENT....dear Lord.

In tournaments with double elimination 25% of the players place last, 25% place second to last. I'm saying last as in getting eliminated without winning a single match and second to last being eliminated in winners bracket then winning in losers braket then losing. Pools depends on how many pools you have and how many people advance from each pool. The percentage of players who make it to brackets is less than 50%..
Responses in blue.

And if any assumptions come up about the casual scene it's because not much is known about it and it doesn't have a standard set of rules. I encountered some players who only played on FD with the Red Shell on very low and only picked Fox, ALL THE TIME. All that's known about it is that the people who usually attack the competitive scene think they are the best in the world, items add skill to the game (they don't srry, well they do, but it's similar to the skill to beat three lvl 9 cpus on a team), and play only on gay stages.

I think that problem that started this whole thing was that there is no set level of skill for casuals (people who don't go to tournaments), but there is for competitives (people who do go to tournaments...).

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
See, the fact that it even has online is the only thing I care about. I play Xbox LIVE a lot, and Brawl's online seems fine to me. I guess I'm just tolerant. Not to say the online is great, but It does its job. If it is laggy, well, that's a problem for later, but right now we don't have any info saying whether it's laggy or not.
So your just settling, you deserve better. The online sucks.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
It amazes me how this discussion goes nowhere. Casuals attack competitives. Competitives smack casuals logically. Casuals change argument to "you play how you want; I play how I want".

Micahc

Smash Ace
It amazes me how this discussion goes nowhere. Casuals attack competitives. Competitives smack casuals logically. Casuals change argument to "you play how you want; I play how I want".
But they insult us anyway!

I've decided to call myself a "competative scrub" because even though I have never attended a tournament I play with ATs and tourney legal stages. Where does that place me in this decidedly 2 sided debate?

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
What is with casual players trying to persuade expert players on this board? And if they're not tournament material, why do they care so much about changing the rules?

I just don't understand the mentality here. They enter the #1 resource for the competitive Smash player criticizing everything this community is built on and expect a warm welcome. It's just moronic.

Adi

Smash Lord
The problem is that they are trying to revolutionaize a system of which the foundations they are clearly ignorant of.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well yeah, because this is how it's supposed to be from the beginning. Anyway, i think you tend to generalize; not all competitives are super logical and calm, and not all casuals start these stupid arguments.

I still love you. Bye!

shinypaper

Smash Rookie
It's only considered unfair if only one person is able to do those techs.
My brother doesn't use them. I do. We play with the 4 stock no item rules.
He doesn't complain that I use them, I don't make him use them.

As for the whole "Items are in the game, so they are meant to be used" - you can turn them OFF. Enough said.

Play the game you want to play it. Don't whine when you lose, and dont brag when you win.

PaperLink

Smash Journeyman
So your just settling, you deserve better. The online sucks.
Meh. It's okay. give or take.

You make it seem like nothing casuals ever say has any value. Most of them just whine about the tourneys (which are fine by me), but some of us have made valid points.

Also, it's kinda weird that the thread has turned into several mini-arguements, no?

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
I played a few hours of 1v1 today with Joe Bushman (pro level smasher, one of the top Ganon players in the country) today, and was (as usual) destroyed the entire time. I like to consider myself fairly good at this game, I play a decent Fox/Falco and a decent Ganon, and I know just about every trick in the book, but seriously. The technical ability, speed, mindgames, and knowledge of match ups of a seasoned tourney vet are untouchable by a player like myself. I think that all the scrubs who whine around here just need to get a good beating from a great Smasher before they can begin to grasp what this place is really about. They really have no idea how good someone can be at Smash Bros. :laugh:

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I had that experience once. He wasn't a big name pro but he was good, he completely owned me and my friends with different characters on different stages. It was a great experience and it made me glad to be a part of this community [sometimes].

Why can't we just shut up and play the game like a real community?

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I played a few hours of 1v1 today with Joe Bushman (pro level smasher, one of the top Ganon players in the country) today, and was (as usual) destroyed the entire time. I like to consider myself fairly good at this game, I play a decent Fox/Falco and a decent Ganon, and I know just about every trick in the book, but seriously. The technical ability, speed, mindgames, and knowledge of match ups of a seasoned tourney vet are untouchable by a player like myself. I think that all the scrubs who whine around here just need to get a good beating from a great Smasher before they can begin to grasp what this place is really about. They really have no idea how good someone can be at Smash Bros. :laugh:
Hey, it's how I learned to humble myself. It is a scary though to think that I can 4-stock tons of people, I can be 4-stocked by tons of people, and even higher players can 4-stock them! The skill tower is huge. Casual smashers have NO IDEA.

Tobi-

Smash Ace
I had that experience once. He wasn't a big name pro but he was good, he completely owned me and my friends with different characters on different stages. It was a great experience and it made me glad to be a part of this community [sometimes].

Because someone who thought they were good can't accept defeat, so they complain. However, when Brawl comes out they will probably just be ignored, or told advice.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Meh. It's okay. give or take.

You make it seem like nothing casuals ever say has any value. Most of them just whine about the tourneys (which are fine by me), but some of us have made valid points.

Also, it's kinda weird that the thread has turned into several mini-arguements, no?
No, it's not ok, it's medicore. If even!

I said most casuals are misinformed, I know there are cool ones like you.

Del Money

Smash Champion
fixed:)

first, seasoned=veteran

second, no veteran won't improve. Veteran means they have gone to many tournaments in the past and are used to the tournament scene. If they continue going to tourneys, and are fighting at a higher level than just your friends or family, and learning the mindgrames to go with the tech, they will improve. Unless they don't care about any of it, in which they would never have gone to other tournaments in the first place, and a 1 time tourney goer is not a veteran. There really is no "veteran" that fits your description: "...hides under the veil of being a tourney regulars, goes to a ****ton of tournies, and yet never improves."

Only real disagreement from me. Of course, you and everyone else will ignore this due to me being new...:ohwell:
That's not always the case. Some people may just be on a really low end of the learning curve. Not everyone that is a tourney-regular tournies improves at the same rate (by definition of learning curve). Some people may have to practice a lot longer than others...this applies to pretty much anything competitive.

Give sliq your $1000 dollars now Del Money. If you are dumb enough to offer it, then just give it to him. What legit points about anything are you even trying to make?
Either you're dumb as hell or you're seriously trying to piss me off. Obviously, the point of that bet was to show how ignorant Sliq is by generalizing ALL casuals into a ******** group of melee-gameplay whiners. He wouldn't be able to prove me wrong because contrary to his (and many others' in this threads) ignorant "criteria of a casual", I just provided a counter-example. I've repeated that like 5 times and if you're that stupid that you can't interpret words and sentences with your ****ing eyes then I recommend staying the hell away from a computer.

You're basically saying all competitive players are anti-casual, that's generalizing.
No, I meant that all the competitives on this thread that keep lumping all casuals in one biased, stereotypical category are obviously anti-casual. They're the ones obviously generalizing and causing a stupid division in the smash community just to house their inflated egos.

They have, this thread has a lot of pages already. Plus all the other threads similar to it.
True this thread has a lot of pages. I can count the number of casuals that have "come in here whining about melee-gameplay" on one hand. There's about 80-something pages of proof of that. So what does that tell you?

Um... that was his point...
No. His point was that most casuals can be spotted my melee-related user names (i.e. FoxAllstar69 or something). Sadly, this is somewhat true.

In tournaments with double elimination 25% of the players place last, 25% place second to last. I'm saying last as in getting eliminated without winning a single match and second to last being eliminated in winners bracket then winning in losers braket then losing. Pools depends on how many pools you have and how many people advance from each pool. The percentage of players who make it to brackets is less than 50%..
But obviously, within that group of 50% there are obviously people who lost on their first match or one of their first few matches, hence the bottom-dwellers I was talking about earlier. Like I said before with the learning curve, it could take a certain player X number of tournies before they get good enough to reach the bracket. While another player it could take X+Y number of tournies.

And if any assumptions come up about the casual scene it's because not much is known about it and it doesn't have a standard set of rules.
That's still no excuse. While many casuals play are aspect of the game (items, all stages, coin-mode--LOL), other like myself enjoy playing competitively in a casual environment. I get much more fun out of playing with no items on neutral stages in 4/5-stock matches against friends, than I ever could playing in those "competitively-frowned-upon" situations. And yet, people still want to be ignorant and make bull**** generalizations based on the fact that I don't travel to tournies...gee that makes a dickload of sense.

Too bad my argument, along with fliyingfilipino's and Gilgamesh's was that you're generalizing casuals into a stupid group and yet there's 3 counterexamples staring you in the face within the last 2 pages of this thread. Thanks for proving your ignorance.

What is with casual players trying to persuade expert players on this board? And if they're not tournament material, why do they care so much about changing the rules?
Funny, I don't recall any casual in this thread wanting to change any rules....and if so, there was maybe 1 or 2 like 50+ pages back that I purposely ignored. Another generalization....what a shocker...

I just don't understand the mentality here. They enter the #1 resource for the competitive Smash player criticizing everything this community is built on and expect a warm welcome. It's just moronic.
Read above response...

It's only considered unfair if only one person is able to do those techs.
You see this? This is what I am NOT. Although maybe I'm wrong because Buzz, Sliq, and The Hypnotist say otherwise. Apparently, they know me better than I do...

Probably the most intelligent post on this page.

The skill tower is huge. Casual smashers have NO IDEA.
Another generalization...what a shocker...

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I'm a humble 'casual' player (I've been to one tournament, didn't get owned, however that's beside the point), and I have zero problem with tournament rules, zero problem with advanced techs, and zero problem with lack of items. My only problem, in the defense of the other humble 'casual' players here, is that we generally get lumped in with the flaming ignoramuses that cause most of the annoyances here.

Yes, you may be a 'pro', and you probably are better than me, but that doesn't mean my opinion isn't worth sh*t just because I haven't beaten any big names, and I don't 'suxxorz ****** gg lol' because I don't consider myself 'competitive'. I'm working on it. I came to SWF to learn how to get better to play at that level (well, I first came to argue with an idiot). A few people here *cough* give you 'pros' a really bad name though (luckily, it's just a few). Like Red Exodus said, it would be a lot better if we all just got along as a community, because that's what we're here for. I mean no harm with anything I've just said, and if I get some sort of ignorant response back, it only shows how much damage has been done by arguments like this.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
It's kinda hard to not lump the different smashers into groups, you have competitive tourney goers, competitives who don't/can't go to tourneys [like me], casuals who play with no items, competitives who screw play with items on banned stages in friendlies and a bunch of other variations.

Not every variation is considered/brought up in these arguments so you get that generalization effect. The only way to avoid being offended by these generalizations is if you think of them loosely, i.e. casual, neutral, competitive labels to cover which aspect you lean more to.

I'll stop here for now, someone is burning some stuff and it's completely screwing me up.

perpetual ownage

Smash Journeyman
I'm a humble 'casual' player (I've been to one tournament, didn't get owned, however that's beside the point), and I have zero problem with tournament rules, zero problem with advanced techs, and zero problem with lack of items. My only problem, in the defense of the other humble 'casual' players here, is that we generally get lumped in with the flaming ignoramuses that cause most of the annoyances here.

Yes, you may be a 'pro', and you probably are better than me, but that doesn't mean my opinion isn't worth sh*t just because I haven't beaten any big names, and I don't 'suxxorz ****** gg lol' because I don't consider myself 'competitive'. I'm working on it. I came to SWF to learn how to get better to play at that level (well, I first came to argue with an idiot). A few people here *cough* give you 'pros' a really bad name though (luckily, it's just a few). Like Red Exodus said, it would be a lot better if we all just got along as a community, because that's what we're here for. I mean no harm with anything I've just said, and if I get some sort of ignorant response back, it only shows how much damage has been done by arguments like this.
I also would like to get along with casuals. Casual players are people too and we as a community have no reason to flame and fight with each other.

Del Money

Smash Champion
It's kinda hard to not lump the different smashers into groups, you have competitive tourney goers, competitives who don't/can't go to tourneys [like me], casuals who play with no items, competitives who screw play with items on banned stages in friendlies and a bunch of other variations.

Not every variation is considered/brought up in these arguments so you get that generalization effect. The only way to avoid being offended by these generalizations is if you think of them loosely, i.e. casual, neutral, competitive labels to cover which aspect you lean more to.

I'll stop here for now, someone is burning some stuff and it's completely screwing me up.
More or less. There's gray areas in-between casual and competitive. Therefore making one cut and dry division between the two is senseless. I'm more or less on the same boat as you...being unable to go to tournies primarily because of where I live and the time/money restriction I have due to several other responsibilities, activities, and expenses. It wasn't until recently that I met another smasher with a similar attitude towards the game as me on these boards that actually lives in NH as well. We're making plans for a bit of tourney-hopping in the Massachusetts area this summer.

I also would like to get along with casuals. Casual players are people too and we as a community have no reason to flame and fight with each other.
I pretty much shared the same view as flyinfilipino. I guess he was slightly more credible because he had actually gone to one tourney before and didn't do as bad as most people here would predict a casual would do on their first tourney. Regardless, I apologize for flaming/arguing with you. I do however want to sig that quote you made about me being full of hate, spite, anger, and malice because that really made me laugh.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Del money why are you ranting?

You aren't casual.

You are a competitive casual.

Top Bottom