• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pocket Monsters Inc. (The General Spriting Thread)

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion

Ehh it didn't turn out as well as I hoped. I can't put my finger on it though. Any suggestions for improvement?
Hey Riddle, sorry I didn't get back to you earlier on this. Yeah, legs look a bit awkwardly attached but it's still a hell of a lot better than I (or most of us) could do so good job. :)

----------

Double truant and double slow start would suck lol. Slaking and Regigigas would need their own tier of misery and failure.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Apparently, I updated my Bulbasaur revamp at some point and never posted it here.

ORIGINAL:

NEW:

Changed:
- Bulbasaur's real colors, rather than neon-ish ones picked by hand
- Eyes and mouth similar to those from Bulbasaur's concept art/current sprites
- More of a revamp and less of a mere recolor

Just figured I'd post it here while I was thinking about it.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I should've noticed just to steal it
Oh well, POST 25,000, YOU WILL BE MINE

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
As of today I decided to try out spriting again, and because normal recolors are easy as hell yet splicing is still a little too challenging for me (at least for the most part), I decided to start with revamps/devamps.

And with that, here's Annoying's two week old request. The one on the left is what the pose would look like if it were used for Gold, and the one on the left if it were used for Silver (yes, there really is that big of a difference just from the two games). I hope you like it. :D

HGSS Scizor devamp:

And here's the original for reference:

And for revamps I thought that I might just go down the complete Silver line, so first is...

Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, and Venusaur! :D

Tell me what you think. :)

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Yeah, I can do that for ya. :) Venusaur is a ***** to revamp and took a lot out of my patience though, so I probably won't do it until tomorrow...sorry. :\

EDIT: I just realized that this came up on a new page, so I just thought I'd say I finished Ivysaur and Venusaur and added them to my last post, for those who already saw the Bulbasaur revamp. :)

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Nice.

Also, you got the 10000th post. Good job. :)

-Terywj
I saw this post on the next page (I have 40 per page) and literally thought "Gah, who stole the 10,000th post? I didn't even realize we were that close."

Then I went back a page and realized that you were talking to me. XD Didn't even realize I got the 10,000th post.

As of today I decided to try out spriting again, and because normal recolors are easy as hell yet splicing is still a little too challenging for me (at least for the most part), I decided to start with revamps/devamps.

And with that, here's Annoying's two week old request. The one on the left is what the pose would look like if it were used for Gold, and the one on the left if it were used for Silver (yes, there really is that big of a difference just from the two games). I hope you like it. :D

HGSS Scizor devamp:

And here's the original for reference:

And for revamps I thought that I might just go down the complete Silver line, so first is...

Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, and Venusaur! :D

Tell me what you think. :)
All of these look great! I looked at the Ivysaur revamp and thought the face looked a little weird, then I looked at the original and realized that the face is SUPPOSED to be that weird. I never noticed how odd his face is before.

There are some lighter outlines on Bulbasaur and Ivysaur that bug me a little bit, but otherwise they're great. Venusaur, quite simply, looks amazing. It looks like an official sprite from 4th gen.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I think the lighter outline is intended. I think one example used was an old Togetic sprite.

Unless you're not talking about that.

Scizor looks awesome, though the lighter one is odd. Never noticed a difference between Gold and Silver.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I think the lighter outline is intended. I think one example used was an old Togetic sprite.

Unless you're not talking about that.

Scizor looks awesome, though the lighter one is odd. Never noticed a difference between Gold and Silver.
I worded that badly. I meant that the outline looks like it could be shaded a little more in some areas -- like, maybe adding some more black to it. Outline shading is really annoying, though; I've found that the best way to do anything is to just shade it as best as you can, see how that turns out, and try to tweak it.

They all look great nevertheless, though -- that's the only thing that I can find to fix.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Did I do something wrong? Not seeing this on the pending requests list...
Um... >_>

Formerly a sprite shop, we are now an open forum for sprites. Feel free to post any and all of your sprite work here! You may also feel free to request sprites; however, since this is not a formal shop anymore, whether or not your request gets completed is determined by whether or not someone decides to do it.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Thanks for the compliments everyone. :) And yeah, I'm finding that outlining is the hardest thing to figure out. I was led to believe that black was really only supposed to be used for shadows, and that the two colored, dark shades used for outlining should be used in most other situations. I didn't really see a lot of spots for Bulbasaur and Ivysaur (although mainly Bulbasaur) to carry a strong shadow though, so I left black outlining off them for the most part. This is probably why I found Venusaur to be the biggest pain as well. Its leaves and flowers don't carry a 'main' outline (I consider the main outline to be the color that isn't used for the shading process, but also isn't the black outline...anyone who sprites Pokemon probably knows what I'm talking about), and I had to use a lot of black because of this. And it annoyed me at the time. >.< I guess my thought process was wrong though, so I'll probably go back and fix up the Bulbasaur and Ivysaur sprites for personal gain later.

Also, @Terywj: The Houndoom sprite is actually taking a lot longer than I thought...I'm using its Gold sprite (the one that shoots flames), and I'm trying to rescratch the flame to look more modern while also basing Houndoom's shading off of the light that the flame is supposed to emit. That, along with the fact that the sprite is kinda complicated to shade properly to begin with, is making this much more challenging than I originally thought...sorry. :\ It should be done by no later than Thursday though; with tomorrow being the expectation.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Actually, not one Pokemon sprite has black in it. What appears to be black is actually (R,G,B: 16,16,16), a very dark grey.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Actually I just did some further research. All 4th Gen default Pokemon sprites have RGB16 instead of black, but some of the animated ones (as seen in your sig) do have black. Black was present in 1st and 2nd gen, but has been mostly absent since 3rd Gen. I do not know the validity of those animation sprites or why they have black but the default sprites do not. It could be due to a file translation error, either during or after extraction.

Just remember, no default modern Pokemon sprites have black in them.

Oh, and Murkrow is blue, save its 2nd Gen sprite :p

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Ahh. I was thinking about the 2nd gen sprite. I happened to be playing Silver on the VisualBoy. XD

Yeah default sprites is more accurate, since there are black shinies.

-Terywj

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
~Request~

Can I get a shiny Rayquaza mixed with a Raikou? I don't really have a preference on which is the base or whatever, if anyone decides to take this up they can surprise me.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
A bit of a strange
~REQUEST~

Combination of

and Venasaur. Preferably with mostly Venasaur's palette. You might want to re-size Balrog.

I suck at splicing.

Top Bottom