• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please explain why Melee is so awesome

maelstrom99

Smash Apprentice
Melee is so awesome because I don't have to listen to some scrubby kids saying they're good at Smash, because they all get *****. =)

Geist

Smash Master
I don't agree with the fact that Brawl will improve with time, but if you search hard, you can find a really exciting match. On your end note, blowtoes, it IS possible to be really good at brawl. The ceiling is higher in Melee, but I still think that in brawl, the good player will always win. (OK, almost always)
Well, just like any game, it is possible to get good. I've seen some very good brawl players before, and know some of them too. But again, the problem with becoming better is the skill gap.

The gameplay in brawl is just waaaaay too restrictive towards the better player, because it's designed to be more of a leveled playing ground. Instead of having almost limitless potential like melee, players are stuck by the boundaries of the game, and get stuck on that very low cieling of Brawl's possible metagame. It's not that brawl's metagame hasn't developed, it's that it can't develop, unless something BIG is found like, canceling moves in mid animation.

link6616

Smash Cadet
I can't be bothered reading the topic...

But what made melee so awesome for me was that there always seems to be more to learn, and I can see that I still need to get better.

Also, its one of the few fighting games I can get other people to play (guilty gear and street fighter are kinda boring by yourself....)

CKaiser

Smash Apprentice
I vote for this thread to be closed on account of being pretty much done. All in favor say aye

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
If I was a mod you would both be sooooooo banned, get you melee hating faces outa here or I'll be forced to sick Mew2King on you.
that would b hilarious

but, both melee and brawl have things that make it bttr than the other
melee - wave dashing etc
brawl - bttr characters graphics and no more pichu !!!

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Wanna know why Melee is awesome? There's a small mouse with goggles and a backpack, a young dude with a small sword, a Doctor who throws pills for teh lulz, a crazy guy with a flaming sword and the definition of irony ( aka Mewtwo, since he sucks in melee, but is the best in Pokemon.)

Now you tell me, does brawl have any of these? I THINK NOT

Melee> Brawl. Case closed.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Has anyone else noticed that all the people who randomly make "brawl < melee" posts with absolutely no logical explanation behind them all have join dates after the Brawl smash dojo went up?

Yet more proof for why Melee is better than Brawl, most of the people who like brawl more aren't any good at melee.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Has anyone else noticed that all the people who randomly make "brawl < melee" posts with absolutely no logical explanation behind them all have join dates after the Brawl smash dojo went up?

Yet more proof for why Melee is better than Brawl, most of the people who like brawl more aren't any good at melee.
That is an incredibly brash statement...

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
No, it doesn't. In Melee, all my friends used the same top tier characters, in Brawl, the characters used: Lucas, TL, Mario, Ike, Pit, Wolf.
Your friends are stupid; Brawl is probably more unbalanced than Melee, but people are still hanging onto the new-release bull**** where nobody knew what the **** they were doing.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
That is an incredibly brash statement...
Well, every time I see someone make a pro-brawl comment on the melee boards, I look at their join date, and indeed almost all the brawl advocates have recent join dates. As for skill, of course, there's no way to know for sure, but the way these people also are often against tiers, the fact that pretty much the main reason to like melee over brawl is because of the possibilities in melee opened up through technical skill, and the fact that Smashboards tournaments are pretty much the only way to get good, I think my statement is pretty safe/accurate. So why don't you try suing me for being elitist on an internet forum? Actually, I'm not that good when compared to most melee tournament regulars.

i still dont know what the smash dojo is.
This is the Smash Bros Dojo

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion, the smash games should be about strategy, not randomly pressing a combination of buttons in order for your character to perform an attack faster and/or stronger than it was meant to be. (That was a mouthful) [\QUOTE]

Melee has plenty of strategy, if you're new to the advanced techs and have not implimented them into your playing style, it is pressing random buttons, but once you've put them into your game, it becomes your own strategy

game set

Smash Apprentice
the game has an amazing balance of the usefulness of your mind game and tech game, so you can play and win or lose however the **** you want. The amount of options makes the game feel like an extension of your mind, i no longer have to think when i play, in fact i play much much better by simply looking and the screen and subconsciously moving my fingers.

this just isn't so in brawl, it lost the balance of mind and tech that made me play melee. From character to character you have to change how you think to play, for some characters you can play with as much mind as a computer, but as long as you know a simple tech your ability to win is unproportionately increased. On the other hand, some characters like can be played like melee. but they are alot slower. after playing this game for awhile i began to think that someone had purposely tried to sabotage the competitive scene. the only reason i bought a wii was so i could play brawl online, but i've sold both my wii and brawl disc because i would much rather play melee than have a few nice things like a crappy online service. im not saying brawl is necesarily a worse game than melee, only that imo its a worse competitive game.

i could keep going on if anybody cares but right now im going to go play melee

ps. in metroid starfox zelda mario games and ect. have you ever seen the characters trip???? wtf are they tripping over anyway? randomness has no place in any competitive game. pm me if you disagree

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
I don't agree with the fact that Brawl will improve with time, but if you search hard, you can find a really exciting match. On your end note, blowtoes, it IS possible to be really good at brawl. The ceiling is higher in Melee, but I still think that in brawl, the good player will always win. (OK, almost always)
that's the point, you have to search HARD to find good brawl match, while countless good Melee matches are just right there in front of you

JJR.O.B.

Smash Ace
Melee is such a fun game to play even if you lose all the time (like me). What makes it fun is the speed and strategy involved in it. Once you get really good at it you dont even have to think anymore.

Parker1006

Smash Journeyman
I feel that Melee is better than Brawl because of the amount of options you have during competitive combat. In Brawl, it seems like competitive playstyles all break down into camping and abusing the one safe and/or broken tactic that a particular character has (i.e. DDD's chaingrab). Characters that must be played aggressively (like Ganon or Captain Falcon) easily get crippled by the metagame of Brawl. Realistically, characters like Pit and Olimar should be winning Brawl tournaments left and right. All they theretically have to do is spam a projectile until the damage is high enough to close in for a finishing blow. In Melee, you can camp, be aggressive, combo, mindgame, and play defensively. Tech skill is important but not nessecarily needed if you are a smart enough player. In Melee, matchups are only part of the equation of who wins. Mewtwo sucks majorly, but if the person playing Mewtwo is better than a Fox player, the Mewtwo player will win. In brawl, Jigglypuff is horrible. The best Jigglypuff in the world will probably lose consistantly to a decent Snake player. I am a perfect example of this. At my second brawl tourney, I placed second because I used Metaknight. I only used Metaknight maybe twice before that tourney. A win shouldn't be so heavily decided by the game's natural counter matchups. Skill should be the main factor. Also, there are basically no combos in Brawl, so camping beats out everything.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Read this and watch this.

The first is mine, the second is not.

The thing is, some people think that Melee just had a whole load of cheap techniques that made it competitive. But the thing is, any monkey who knows how to press 'R' can escape a combo in Brawl. How does that make it more competitive?

In Melee it required things like DI, wiggling, and thinking. I played Brawl for three months and realized we were all getting seriously gypped.

I play Melee because it stimulates me mentally and I enjoy it because the game is difficult. Playing Brawl is like playing timed chess against a narcoleptic opponent--it's just downright ********.

Sorry if I'm a little blunt, I'm just annoyed that Nintendo thought they could bribe us with eye candy and take away what made the games great.

I would play Smash 64 before I'd play Brawl (I actually love Smash 64. Brawl on the other hand I'm selling pretty soon).

Edit: I forgot, there are some combos which don't just take monkeys pressing 'R'. They're the stupid ones, like the release grab.

Wuss

Smash Champion

I think you mean "brawl>melee"

might wanna fix that...

and dazwa, I lol'd at tents pun, too good.

Top Bottom