• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please explain why Melee is so awesome

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
Melee is awesome because it is more rewarding. Us Melee players all love the excitement that we get while having good matches against someone who is equal or better in skill. Not only is it exciting to play, but to watch great matches as well.

As said before, Melee is fun whether you win or lose, but it also gives the greatest, most rewarding feeling to you if you win.

Edit: Also, some of our favorite and best characters have been nerfed in Brawl horribly, which doesn't help.

okiyama

Smash Ace
A slow game does not mean it has more mindgames or more strategy. It just means your mind doesn't have to be as sharp to have strategy. It's a lot easier to put a lot of thought into a move of chess because you get all the time in the world to think about it. But if a little hawk is having a seizure and shooting you with lasers every 2 seconds and then running towards you all at the same time, it's not like there's less thought in it, it's just faster thought. Losts of beggining players think that Brawl has more strategy just because they don't have the thinking speed to make melee have strategy, so they miss out on the complexity of the game.
The fact that an entire guide has been made for how a single character can dodge a single move (marth vs falco's short hop laser) shows how much thought must be put into each move even if your opponent is just jumping around and spamming an attack. In brawl for a situation like this there is usually one simple solution (IE Wolf spamming? Powershield. Getting chaingrabbed? Drop your controller.) but for a spamming Falco tehre are so many different situations to think about that you need to know exactly what to do and more importantl when to do it.

Summary
Slow=/=Strategy
Slow=Slower thinking for your strategy
Speed just enable for strategies to be mroe complex and in depth and more, faster thinking to have to go into it.

That was a doozy, hope someone reads it and gains insight.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
I like Brawl................If I'm drunk and playing with brawl lovers and telling them how much it sucks.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
nintendo put in brawl to make melee look better... then they will sell melee over the virtual console for profit.
but people still brought brawl...

so brawls existance was probally caused by the plan of... $+melee$+future of melee$

and they will probally add chars to melee

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
A slow game does not mean it has more mindgames or more strategy. It just means your mind doesn't have to be as sharp to have strategy. It's a lot easier to put a lot of thought into a move of chess because you get all the time in the world to think about it. But if a little hawk is having a seizure and shooting you with lasers every 2 seconds and then running towards you all at the same time, it's not like there's less thought in it, it's just faster thought.

this qoute is straight win.

Vctrx

Smash Cadet
people who don't suck at melee usually like it better. To me (and maybe a lot of people) melee is like chess on roids. It's your head against theirs and every decision can be made in a second. You never know what can happen and the fight can turn around in a snap leaving you satisfied whether you won or not. With brawl it's just...no. I'm not going to explain because everyone already knows.

woah^^^^^^^^exactly. Forget my post.

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
If "randomly pressing buttons to make attacks stronger than they used to be" is what won Melee, then what seperates, say, me from PC Chris? PC would probably 4-stock me and come out of the match with less damage than when it started. However, we can both shffl. We can both wavedash. We both L-cancel all our aerials. We both use all these techniques in matches fluently, and we would both use them against each other in this theoretical match.

By your logic, PC and I should be even, since we both have about even technical skill.

So clearly, there's a flaw in your argument. Assuming your premise that "Melee is all about technical skill" is true leads to an absurd conclusion, therefore it must be false.

In case you haven't already figured it out, the factor that seperates PC from me is what you're calling strategy, not technical skill. The very same strategy you say is more prominent in Brawl than in Melee.

It's not! In fact, all having so-called advanced techniques in Melee did was increase the number of options you had at an arbitrary moment in a match.

Wavedashing, for instance, was something you could use to force a reaction (wavedancing with characters like Luigi), to counter an action (wavedash away from a dash attack and smashing to counter it with Samus or Y-Link) or to combo (waveshines with the space animals or wavedashing out of shield to techchase with Shiek).

I can't seem to form a coherent essay on this right now, so I'm going to leave it at this. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I won't flame you, and I'll explain whatever you want.

EDIT: Watch some matches of Aniki. While he is a bit of an extreme example, he demonstrates that strategy is not only present, but is the primary factor of a player's skill in Melee.

BOOM, epic win sir

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Lol, tc is one of those ignorant people that think the core of Melee revolved around wavedashing and l-canceling. Sure those made the game quicker, but the lack of them wouldn't change Melee's superiority at all.

I love how tc also states that Brawl has strategy. Listen buddy, speed does not=no strategy. Brawl on the other hand has minimal tech skill and strategy. I'm not going to refute my claims, they already have been in this topic by Pye, I just wanted to join in :p

N64

Smash Champion
let this thread die. the op has stated he isn't coming back to this thread, so now this has just become an excuse for melee fanatics to stroke their melee epeens.

and regardless of your stance on the issue, at least try to be productive and respectful with your posts. It's a lot to ask (and probably foolish to ask anyhow) on an internet forum, but as much as I hate seeing incivility on the side I oppose, I can't stand seeing it on the side I support. You're not going to convince someone to change their opinion by saying "lol you're a stupid noob" so act like you actually care about convincing them instead of using it as an excuse to put yourself on a pedestal.

not directed at anyone in particular, I was just in general disapointed at the progression of this thread.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
The "brawl is slow, so therefore is has more strategy and mindgames" is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard, if anything. If a game is slow, it's easier to react when something happens (like if your opponent suddenly runs towards you, well if he runs slow, youll have loads of time to react) and therefore you won't have to know what they where going to do (and predicting your opponent is what mindgames is)

I've said this before, but i wasnt sure wether it was in this thread or not so i said it again lol

Lol, tc is one of those ignorant people that think the core of Melee revolved around wavedashing and l-canceling. Sure those made the game quicker, but the lack of them wouldn't change Melee's superiority at all.
Actually if there was no l canceling it'd limit your approaching options since your arial approaches would be to laggy to be safe (or combo from, and therfore worthless). And the lack of WDing would limit your options in terms of movement. But with that said, if all arials automatically l canceled (just had less lag, in other words) or if l canceling was really easy it wouldn't change anything.
So the fact that L canceling makes the game more technically demanding to play is insignificant to the depth of melee (this is probably what you where saying tho), but the options it gives you does. Same could be said for wavedashing.

Corigames

Smash Hero
In my opinion, the smash games should be about strategy, not randomly pressing a combination of buttons in order for your character to perform an attack faster and/or stronger than it was meant to be.
This is why I play Melee, this is avoided.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I'm going to try and explain partially why Melee has a lot of strategy. There's a lot of factors to the mental part of Smash so my simplified explanation won't cover everything.

Super Smash Bros Brawl is a game of prediction. You use a few quick moves and throw some projectiles to watch how your opponent reacts. Once you get to crucial moments, it becomes a game of rock, paper, scissors. The person who successfully predicts right lands a hit that deals a good 10-25% damage and sends the opponent closer to the ledge, but it usually stops there...

Because of Brawl's "get out of everything" nature, the defender who was hit easily gets back on the ground and back into a good situation unless they are knocked off the ledge where the opponent has a chance to keep racking up damage.

In Melee, after the person lands the initial hit, the "winner" takes the offense while the person being hit takes the "defense" and it becomes another game of rock/paper/scissors with a double or nothing reward. If the offense successfully reads the defendant, he can continue his combo and get an even bigger advantage, while if the defendant out smarts the offense, he gets a chance to gain resume his footing in the match.

Because of this, Melee is more of a game of momentum, where one player is in the zone, and the other player is trying to get out asap. Melee however has more options than "landing a hit" and "missing a hit". The offense has the route of either playing it safe and follow the opponent but wait before striking, or they can dash towards the airborne opponent and try to string a stronger and more rewarding combo. Even though that sounds better, it can leave yourself open and you risk losing your momentum allowing your opponent to dodge and hit you instead.

In Brawl, players still tried to go for combos when it first came up, but players realized that the odds of the offense continuing the string was very minimal and missing it allowed the defendant to immediately take the offensive position. Also, the reward for going all out wasn't great either. Because of all these factors, players decided that it's best to camp and play defensively where you do not have to worry about mistakes as much.

shounenkel

Smash Journeyman
okayokay melee is too good guyss...(brawl is a okay game i guess it have its good and bad thing's) but yeah melee is better....If you like strategy, Melee is equal or better than Brawl.
If you like pressing lots of buttons, Melee is better than Brawl.
If you like speed, Melee is better than Brawl.
If you like sex, Melee is better than Brawl. BUT yeah MELEEE is toooooooo goood ^^

Top Bottom