• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please explain what weakness meta has besides being light

ADHD

Smash Hero
I'm just trying to wonder. Bla bla bla

10fail

But seriously, I want to know. Lack of KO moves? Meta is too good at gimping, his Dsmash kills fine compared to other characters who have to wait until 150% damage. Shuttle loop is amazing at KOs too.

This is for the people who are in denial and saying that meta is a normal character. He may not be broken, but he lacks weaknesses, and dominates the character roster.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
I'm just trying to wonder. Bla bla bla

10fail

But seriously, I want to know. Lack of KO moves? Meta is too good at gimping, his Dsmash kills fine compared to other characters who have to wait until 150% damage. Shuttle loop is amazing at KOs too.

This is for the people who are in denial and saying that meta is a normal character.
Anyone who says that Meta is a normal character with balanced pros and cons has been playing against Meta Knight in the Kirby games, not Brawl.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Anyone who says that Meta is a normal character with balanced pros and cons has been playing against Meta Knight in the Kirby games, not Brawl.
Well prepare to meet those people, they should post soon :)

pumper

Smash Cadet
The thing that most people have trouble with is his pressure game. I 've had the game for about a month, in fighting games I usually pick the faster, less damage per hit character. I picked meta and I fell in love. Most of the players playing the smash bros series are used to the highest speed of a character being fox, sheik.
Its like meta is at least 2x faster than the fastest character. Some of that is because of his fluid nature in the air. This is my first smash bros game so I'm not a expert. Being light weight to me is a very bad advantage, I've been knocked out at 50 - 60% which is frustrating. Its forced me to tighten up on my defense.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
-He's not just light, he's featherweight.
-Every one of his specials renders him helpless after execution in the air making it easy to suicide if you don't know what you're doing.

He may not have many weaknesses, but being so light is a pretty glaring weakness.

ShaolinAce

Smash Ace
Being light is a really big weakness when you think long and hard about it. Also a good point of Helpess fall time after the b's. Everyone here must have suicided more than a few times by accident by not judging thier landings correctly. Upsmash from most characters are a MK's biggest fear.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
True, MK has very few weaknesses, but his lightweight is a large disadvantage. Thats one of the main reasons that Snake places higher than Mk in tournaments. Mk is not "powerful" and hes light. Snake is incredibly "powerful" and heavy. His defense is pretty good to help make up for his weight.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Lack of projectiles, and the fact that certain projectiles can cancel the tornado.

Sturgery

Smash Rookie
He's lightweight, like everyone has said, and he also has specials that could SD you if you don't use them well.

On a personal note, I think his Side B is a somewhat better recovery move.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
-Every one of his specials renders him helpless after execution in the air making it easy to suicide if you don't know what you're doing.

He may not have many weaknesses, but being so light is a pretty glaring weakness.
yea i got knocked out at lowest 35% -___- effin snake xD. but u could survive longer to %'s higher than 150 if u keep control right :\ its just metaknight is so supremely light like almost as light as jiggs :\ which isnt good in our favor...so takin ANY hit proves to be fatal towards all aspects of our battles :\. Plus all our B moves prove us to be immobile :\ so our timing can be an advantage and a disadvantage at the same time :\.

Meta Marth

Smash Apprentice
1. light weight
2. fall special
3. and i guess no projectile (we still seem todo fine without them)

while i don't think MK is the most balanced of characters, but his weaknesses can be exploited and taken care of by a smart/experienced player.

Lethe

Smash Cadet
his weakness is a bunch of tiny chinks in his armor (read: each of his moves is punishable in some way) which you learn about by playing vs him a lot. there's no one achilles heel other than his weight, but that goes for a lot of characters. what's a weakness g&w has that meta doesn't?

but if i had to point to something, i would say meta's one-dimensional playstyle is his weakness. his ATs are useless... literally the ONLY thing he can do in any matchup is get up close and apply pressure. granted, he has multiple ways of achieving this, but compare it with other characters who have projectiles, counter moves, special kill moves, traps, summons, chaingrabs, true combos...

Program

Smash Apprentice
Metaknight is one of the slowest characters in the game. His attack speed may be through the roof, but he is incredibly slow in the air.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
I think the fact that most of his attacks only do minor damage and don't have the best KO power would be a weakness, but his quickness kind of nulls that.

His DI is meh, too. I main Marth and when I tried to control MK it felt more than weird.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
When you look at it, despite the several or even few weakness Meta may have, being a lightweight is a bigger issue then you may think. With buffed up attacks like Zelda's Din's fire, and long ranged attacks like Snake's upttilts, it's hard for a Meta to fight with power against him.

Here are some several other weaknesses I think Meta has

situational - believe it or not, but some of his moves (mainly the B specials) have a sort of way that if you miss or fail to do your plan, you will be punished. For example, I try to eat up all of Dedede's shield by tornadoing it, but the shield didn't break nor did he took damage, so he grabbed me as soon as it ended.

Projectiles - While Marth is a medium size character, Meta is small. So since he can't duck like Kirby, it's possible that projectile spam can screw or halt his approch. Well timed short hops and boomerange angles can hurt his approch, especially when it's by Snake's grenades.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
So what do we have so far?

-Extremely light and easy to KO
-Helpless after all specials
-Sluggish aerial momentum
-Weak KO power
-No projectiles
-Suffers against projectile spamming

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
Are you serious? Do you even play Marth? Marth suffers terribly against a camper.
If you know what you're doing, no he doesn't. Projectiles don't destroy marth anymore than they do any other character. In fact, Marth should have an easier time due to his rock solid approach. The only characters that can camp marth are characters that can pretty much camp the entire cast. This is not a legitimate weakness for Marth.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Union of Darkness - Not having a projectile isn't onsidered a weakness. DK doesn't have a projectile and he does fine in majority of his matchups

Noir - No. Meta Knight PLAYERS can be predictable

zaf

Smash Lord

His specials may render him useless in the air, but when mk glides after his upB and makes it to the ground there is NO LAG.

You shouldn't really say he is rendered useless after his specials because that will give people the false security that they can approach him after upB when in reality he is at an advantage still.

Lack of projectiles, and the fact that certain projectiles can cancel the tornado.
Mk doesn't need projectiles, he has the best if not second best approach in the game.

So what do we have so far?

-Extremely light and easy to KO
-Helpless after all specials
-Sluggish aerial momentum
-Weak KO power
-No projectiles
-Suffers against projectile spamming

Mk doesnt have weak ko power, wtf. Dsmash kills at like 80-90%. This is my main kill move, and i make sure not to use it to often so that it wont deteriorate. Also i have kill jigglypuff with my upB when she has had 30%. Mk can kill easily, dont give this fall information.

I will admit that he is really light and he can get ko'd easy.
Another problem i have, is that if someone shields my whole tornado, and i didnt move in hopes of getting through the shield i am screwed. So dont get over confident with the tornado.

A for projectiles, i always approach by the air slightly so that i can get my opponent when they are in the lag frames of their projectile. I never really suffer from them because mk can get in close really fast.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
His multi-hit aerial moves can be DI-ed out of, preventing them from launching.

The same can probably be said about Ftilt to some extent, although I'm not sure about tornado. I doubt it.

A very minor weakness, but still a weakness.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
lol meta knight's banned then

You shouldn't really say he is rendered useless after his specials because that will give people the false security that they can approach him after upB when in reality he is at an advantage still.

Mk doesnt have weak ko power, wtf. Dsmash kills at like 80-90%. This is my main kill move, and i make sure not to use it to often so that it wont deteriorate. Also i have kill jigglypuff with my upB when she has had 30%. Mk can kill easily, dont give this fall information.
Helpless. Helpless in the air.

MK does have weak KO power when compared to other characters. And d-smash may be his main KO move, but only if used sparingly. MK has to conserve his KO moves or they become ineffective, more so than stronger characters like DDD or DK.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Zaf, and many others, please look at this

This is a summery as to what Overswarm spoke in terms of Meta Knight

Metaknight has a good aerial game, and while his ground game is fairly limited in comparison as far as variety is concerned, it too is effective. Metaknight's aerials all have little to no landing lag out of a short hop; he can even short hop double aerial at times.

His B moves are incredibly good as well, especially the tornado. It is very difficult to DI out of it, but DIing down (double stick works well) seems to sometimes work. Floaty characters work even better. The tornado goes stale quickly, so it cannot be spammed for utmost effectiveness. It can also be interrupted by a plethora of moves.

His biggest issue seems to be getting KOs, but this can be remedied by using his up+b aggressively or by simply d-smashing out of shield at opportune moments. Most good MK players don't seem to have a big problem with getting a KO, and I would expect this trend to continue.

Characters with strong vertical KO moves seem to fare well offensively against Metaknight due to his light size; high priority attacks also give MK trouble. While MK has no projectile, projectile spam doesn't work as well as against other non-projectile characters due to MK's speed.

MK also, due to the length of most of his approaching attacks, can become vulnerable if he misses. This includes his B moves. The Metaknight player, through good spacing, can nearly completely erase this disadvantage.

Metaknight's small size and speed make him difficult to approach and nigh impossible to combo effectively, so powerful throws are a wonderful way to KO him.

All in all, MK seems to have more strengths than weaknesses, and is only held back by the player controlling him.
Now, getting a KO may not seem like a big issue, but it's only because you are a decent to really good Meta player. some of his moves have poor knockback, like his Upsmash or uair. As also mention, projectile spam can and will screw Meta Knight over if he's not careful. As even more, Meta will be punish if he fails to connect a move/his objective.

zaf

Smash Lord
This is a summery as to what Overswarm spoke in terms of Meta Knight

Now, getting a KO may not seem like a big issue, but it's only because you are a decent to really good Meta player. some of his moves have poor knockback, like his Upsmash or uair. As also mention, projectile spam can and will screw Meta Knight over if he's not careful. As even more, Meta will be punish if he fails to connect a move/his objective.
yea i ve read a lot on mk, and ive seen this before.
I never really get punished out of my b moves because i space really well.
ko-ing never really is something i have a problem with. If i made my kill moves stale, i just egde guard, seeing as mk can fly edge guarding really isnt a problem for me.

I dont use mk's u-smash, it doesnt do much damage or knockback. I really only use it when i am under someone. The u-tilt however i use, in what i like to call my zaf-combo, which is one that i havent seen yet in any videos.

its basically dash attack > u-tilt > bair > upB

i tend to do it at lower %;'s since there is little knockback. dont say you all do this, because i havent seen it yet.

His u-air can be used to combo really well, sometimes after a u-tilt you can spam uair and get like 5 -6 good hits in.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Overall he is pretty much tied with Snake as the best in the game.

He has no serious weaknesses that can be exploited and he has great match-ups overall. He has some small weaknesses here and there, but nothing that really hurts his overall gameplay.

He is a broken character.

Deal with it.

GodotAA

Smash Ace
i Think you have to deal with it more then us

you seem pretty tight about how good metaknight is.

go bother the snake forums

EDIT: lulz i realized how mean i just sounded.

'sup rockin :D

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You are an imbecile. Don't flame me for no reason. It makes you like an a$$.

Why would I be tight?

I didn't say it was bad that he was broken. It's a fighting game. There will always be broken characters.

People seem to think having one or two small weaknesses is a big deal and it isn't. That's all I was getting at.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I would say Meta's biggest weakness is that opposing players study every nook and cranny of Metaknight so that they can beat you. Chances are, you're opponent knows more about Mk than you know about their character.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Overall he is pretty much tied with Snake as the best in the game.

He has no serious weaknesses that can be exploited and he has great match-ups overall. He has some small weaknesses here and there, but nothing that really hurts his overall gameplay.

He is a broken character.

Deal with it.

Agreed to the fullest extent. I like it. :)

Top Bottom