• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PlayStation

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Good for you.

This is why I said you are off base:

Quote from gamespot dude said:An HD-DVD format doesn't force me to buy a whole new player to view movies, or rebuy all the movies I currently own. Blu-ray does.

I said: That doesn't make sense they have HD players and disk.

Mic said: Maybe HD players can read DVD and you don't have to rebuy old movies.

I said: That's probaby what he meant. Except the last part still doesn't make sense as BR players read DVDs.

You said: It will still be the same qaulity as regular DVD.

I said: That applies to both formats. Backwards compatibility just means you only have to rebuy movies you want.

You said: Why would I buy a new player to play DVDs?

You wouldn't. You would buy one if you wanted HD content. HD disc do not play in HD when they are in a normal DVD player. Hence the need for an HD player. If you want the HD content you have to buy an HD or BR player.

Whichever format you choose to support good luck(as I said before I won't be supporting either unless I see something I really want). But to do so you have to buy the format. Simply buying an HDTV does not give you the content contained in either HD or BR disks.

Zink

Smash Champion
For a new HD format you need an HD TV anyway. Also, I was under the impression an HD-DVD could play at HD quality on a regular DVD player?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Same post for both topics.

So I went to gamestop yesterday to buy some stuff. Out of curiosity I asked the salesdude when they would be expecting pre-orders for the PS3 and Wii. He said that at this time they've been told by both companies that there will be no preodering. He said this is subject to change but for now they are being told not to offer preorders so as to avoid dissapointing customers.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Heh, just thinking about some vid on youtube showing lines at E3 for the PS3 and Wii. Why can I imagine something similar again if preorders aren't taken?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
lol for a second there I thought you were going to say "same post for both topics".

Well, if it ends up that no one wants the PS3 pre-orders wouldn't make a difference.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
The PS3 will almost definitely sell out its immediate launch stock, just because it's Sony and people are going to buy it. Sure, LESS people will likely eventually end up with the system while it's 500/600$, but there are definitely enough people who want it at launch who will be able to pay for it for their initial stock to sell out.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Chill said:
lol for a second there I thought you were going to say "same post for both topics".
I must confess, I was tempted. :p

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Right now, we are nearly 10 months with the 360 and I am QUITE compelled to buy one (Dead Rising looks awesome). However, I am fighting that urge to give the PS3 and Wii time to come out.

Good luck Zink, it'll be hell in that line I am sure.

Zink

Smash Champion
Don't worry guys, I'll put up a huge post 1:00 AM. :laugh:

Does anyone wonder about why there are exactly 7 players who can play? Wouldn't 8 make a lot more sense?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
It's not really 7 player. Well, there's the ability for it to do that, but if I remember correctly, you can synch up to 7 bluetooth devices to it at once. The controllers also use bluetooth.

And Crimson, the Dead Rising demo available on Live is awesome.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
The cordless dualshock is the controller. I would have at least liked to have tried the "batarang/boomerang/bananaphone" to see what it felt like.

Rabiteman

Smash Cadet
A little over here, a little over there, and maybe
Okay, first off I'd like to say that I'm probably going to mix something up or be very mistaken on something (too many Ds, Vs, Hs, 1080s), so correct me if I'm wrong.

Now...Holy Cripes! $500/600!?!? $60-80 for a GAME!?!? How much are these controllers gonna cost!? Sony...is completely mad.:psycho: I wouldn't even spend that much money on a console even if I could afford it (sorry, FF).

I dunno, from what I read about those chip thingies it sounds like they could screw up pretty easy.

Stealing Nintendo's tech and saying it was theirs is unbelievably low. Plus it seemed pretty dang downgraded.

7 controllers? Uhhh...you'd need a really big tv and a lot of money for that anyways.

So this beast can play DVDs, HD DVDs, and do ten-thousand other things that you can already do with some other thing in your household, and not to mention play games.
But, jeez, and here I thought you bought consoles to play videogames.:ohwell:

All in all, this thing is way too expensive for poor little me. Maybe if they made one that could just play games I'd buy it...or if they switched all that fancy stuff and made it double as a barbecue like in that picture way back in the post. Hahaha,:laugh: And beside, I'll go for cheap, innovating fun over expensive, fancy crap any day. Nintendo Wii RULES!

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
They didn't really "steal" Nintendo's tech. They basically just put an accelerometer in the controller, like what you would find in Kirby: Tilt N' Tumble. The controller itself knows which way it's being held and how it's being moved, but the console has no idea where you're actually holding the controller, while the Wii does.

And the PS3 plays Blu-Ray movies, not HD DVD. Microsoft is the one pushing HD DVD.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Nintendo's also leaning on the HD side with the suposed HD addon.

Rabiteman

Smash Cadet
A little over here, a little over there, and maybe
Ah, I see...But like I said I was bound to get something wrong. I was looking at the PS3 and its backwards compatability (I'm still trying to play them later FFs and Kingdom Hearts) but the price just totally beat me down. Hmmm, I still think I'd rather have have it double as a barbecue though.:grin:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
In Australia Sony's told outlets to stop taking preorders and remove all advertising

So much for that "Worldwise release" then. :/

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
I just feel Sony has run out of steam. Sure, playing a DVD on your PS2 was the shizzy when it first came out, or listening to you ipod on the X-box sounded like a rad idea at first, but they are starting to drift off from what made PS2 so good. Quality games, and a good library. No one is gonna care if they can fit everything unto once cd. I love the feel of using more than one disk to beat the game. Makes me feel like I beat something worthwhile. The distractions with all these non-video game attachments, the price of the system itself, and the Wii60, is gonna make Playstation Fail.

See this is where they fail, they try to find new consumers by adding new gizmos like DVD players, and Blu Ray. While Nintendo and Microsoft, add new game styles, and old school things like Live Arcade and Virtual Console. Sony won't do terrible, in fact they won't do bad either, I just think they're reign in sales will disappear.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
A new 4 minute trailer of MGS4: http://gamevideos.com/video/id/5233

Sony revealed that they will have 27 games playable at TGS.

Capcom
- Devil May Cry 4

Koei
- Fatal Inertia
- Blade Storm: Hundred Years War
- Mahjong Taikai

Konami
- Coded Arms: Assault

Sony
- The Eye of Judgement
- Warhawk
- Gran Turismo-Serie
- Genji
- Everybody's Golf 5
- Formula 1
- Heavenly Sword
- MotorStorm
- Lair
- Resistance Fall of Man

Bandai Namco
- Gundam
- Ridge Racer 7

From Software
- Armored Core 4

Ongakukan
- Railfan

In addition 35 games will appear in video form only. It's also worth noting that the list of playable games only contains 19 titles so more will be announced or shown as "suprises".

Personally I can't wait to see if the rumors about Lair are true. Another look at Heavenly Sword will be cool too.

Eaode

Smash Champion
If I ever have the chance to get a PS3, I will do so only for Assassin's Creed. God **** it I wish it weren't PS3 exclusive, It looks so ****ing awesome.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Okay guys. You all knew it was coming, but Assassin's Creed is no longer PS3 exclusive. Coming to PS3, 360 and PC the same day. Thought I'd tell all you guys that keep track of exclusives to watch (me).

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Tekken 6, VF:5, and FFXIII are still PS3 exclusive though..and those games are more than enough to make me want to get a PS3...oh yes, MGS:4 as well. I cannot simply wait anymore.

smashman90

Smash Lord
Do you guys think that they might drop the price of the Ps3? I mean, do they actually expect people to buy it when it comes out? I mean it costs 500-600 dollars for pete's sakes! That seems a little too high for the average person and I bet alot of people are gonna wait until the price for that console drops.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
PS3 is going to be great, thanks to the titles it has. Its just a pity its launch price is so high, as a result I'm going to have to wait for a massive price drop. But its going to be a hell of a console... when it sits next to my Wii I'll be so close to achieving Nirvana lol.

MGS4, DMC4, FF-XIII, FF-VS XIII, and of course Heavy Rain... I want all those games, and I will have them... when I eventually get a PS3 lol.

primusfan

Smash Ace
Yeah, there's no way i'm getting one at launch. I'm gonna have to wait a while (years) to get mine. Especially since i'm getting a Wii this year.

Top Bottom