• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PlayStation

greenblob

Smash Lord
I'm surprised that Sony isn't trying to appeal to the 9-12 year olds. With that price tag, they'll be the only ones who'll be able to get it on the launch date.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The official PlayStation 3 site for North America has revealed that consumers forking out for a PlayStation 3 will have to pay extra if they want an HDMI cable - even if it is the top-end PS3 model they've bought. A FAQ on the site informs readers that, "[A] HDMI cable [is] not included. Additional equipment may be required to use the HDMI connector". The omission of the cable is a tad unusual, especially considering Sony's keenness to point out the lack of a HDMI connection on both Microsoft's Xbox 360 or Nintendo's Wii.

HDMI, or 'High-Definition Multimedia Interface' to give it its full name, is capable of transmitting a high-definition, uncompressed digital audio-video stream between your console and TV, and is widely considered to offer the best quality of picture and audio for devices of this type.

Neo M.J

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised that Sony isn't trying to appeal to the 9-12 year olds. With that price tag, they'll be the only ones who'll be able to get it on the launch date.
With games like GTA and God of war, I'm sure it does.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
The official PlayStation 3 site for North America has revealed that consumers forking out for a PlayStation 3 will have to pay extra if they want an HDMI cable - even if it is the top-end PS3 model they've bought. A FAQ on the site informs readers that, "[A] HDMI cable [is] not included. Additional equipment may be required to use the HDMI connector".
That's really bizarre.

Zink

Smash Champion
You'd think with pushing the whole hi def and Blu-ray thing they'd include everytung you need free. If you're paying $600 you don't expect to have to go out and buy a cable to get top performance.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Not if you're a consumer. But if they can sell the cables separately knowing full well that, at least with the initial stock, most people who get the premium PS3 will also buy the cables getting them even more money, they'll do it.

Doesn't surprise me a bit.

greenblob

Smash Lord
With games like GTA and God of war, I'm sure it does.
*Disturbing flashback: a little 10-year-old kid throwing a tantrum at a game store because his mom won't get him GTA*

Well, my point is, people who want those types of games are going to be 16-25ish and they'll have to pay for it themselves. Most 16-25-year-olds don't have that kind of money. But 9-12-year-olds are at the age where they start really developing an interest in video games and when their parents still buy things for them. Therefore, most of the PS3s that are sold at the launch date are going to be for 9-12-year-olds. Something similar happened with the XBox 360 release. I saw an increase of popularity for my 11-year-old neighbor after his mom got him a 360. None of my friends, even the big Halo fanatics, got the 360 due to financial reasons.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Do you really think parents are going to spend over a grand on a PS3 instead of the cheaper 360 or Wii? Paren'ts aren't all rich.

Neo M.J

Smash Apprentice
Many parents nowadays dont know how to control little dudes so they might buy it for them.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Sony's UK Webpage said:
London, Wednesday 6 September 2006 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced that it would revise the launch date of its PLAYSTATION® 3 computer entertainment system in the PAL territories of Europe, Russia, Middle East, Africa and Australasia from 17th November 2006, as previously announced to March 2007.
Apparently it's due to shortages in the blue diodes, a key piece of blu-ray players, which is probably why you can't buy standalone blu-ray players over here.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It means Nintendo could have a 4 month headstart on the PS3 in PAL teritories, assuming the Wii's released in November.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Do you really think parents are going to spend over a grand on a PS3 instead of the cheaper 360 or Wii? Paren'ts aren't all rich.
Well, I already have a few neighbors who are saying that they're going to get a PS3 for their birthday/when a relative comes for Thanksgiving/for Christmas/when it comes out, but maybe it's because there are a lot of rich people around where I live...
But anyway, I think they're going for the wrong target audience at the moment. No 16 to 25 year old is going to have the money to buy that thing and the addons it requires and the games all at once. Maybe that's why they're not really bothering to hype the launch with big-name launch titles?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
There are PLENTY of 16 to 25 year olds with the money to buy it. I 100% guaruntee they will sell out their initial stock, and it will be months and months before you will actually be able to buy one in a store. If you want one this year, expect to spend over 1000$ for it on eBay.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
If I was the same gamer I was 2 years ago, hell even a year ago, I'd buy it at launch.

Money is hardly an object to me when it comes to entertainment. Time, however, is more of an issue.

It's a bit arrogant to say it won't sell to 16-25 year olds, because that's when kids are working to buy stuff for themselves. Case in point, I worked at a music store for only 3 months before I spent over $800 on something. When you have the money, rationalizing, at this age, is out the window.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
The reduction sucks. I was leaning towards buying one at launch just because I've never bought a console on day one before and it was something I wanted to do. The chances pre-ordering before the people who live on the internet are slim.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Sony had an odd showing at TGS. During the keynote nothing was really revealed. More came later on but details regarding certain things were left unsaid.

Anyways onto what was said (and some miscellenous stuff thrown in):

Kutagari went the entire keynote bascially saying nothing. Then afterward during a Q&A with the press he revealed that the 20g PS3 will come with an HDMI port. And because of complaints the 20g will see a price reduction from 60,000 yen($515) to 49,980($429)

Wether this will affect the US price remains to be seen.

Enchant Arms a previous 360 exclusive is coming to the PS3. A remake of Ninja Gaiden with additional scenes, characters,levels and updated visuals is coming to the PS3. This is not a sign of the Ninja Gaiden series coming to the PS3 but it's cool for people who like this sort of thing.

Another trailer for Afrika was shown. Still no idea what this game is.

Level 5, developers of the hit Dragon Quest VII are developing an RPG for the PS3 called White Knight Story. In this game you assume the role of a boy who can transform into a giant white knight. While some of your enemies are humans others are colossal creatures which require you to quickly turn into the knight or be crushed. To give you an idea of the scale one enemy carries an entire city in it's back. I'm not sure but I think it's an action RPG.

Lot's of cool Lair info, I suggest reading this: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/733/733921p1.html

There was more stuff like a in-game MGS trailer but if you want to see that you can find it yourself.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Yeah. Their first trailer was just a bunch of animals walking around and munching savanna grass. And then it says "Afrika." Powerful stuff.

And by powerful, I mean confusing and pointless.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
The Ninja Gaiden remake looks very nice, I still need to pick up Ninja Gaiden Black and play through that on my 360. It's nice to see Sony throwing the HDMI output onto the 20GB model (in Japan, atleast) as they're pushing 1080p so much. The price cut is weird... I mean... the system isn't even out yet and they're changing the price they said.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Ha, so price reduction and the HDMI include.

Take that fanboys.

Anyone else disturbed at how little the Yen is actually worth. I think it's almost 150 yen to the dollar. Terrible.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Price reduction in Japan only. Plus there are rumours of hardware problems.
Price reduction is Japan only, and the "hardware problems" you're referring to is developers saying the things overheat too much, right?

SuperMajinLink 287

Smash Lord
Only 100,000 in Japan? Ouch. What's with the US love lately? We're getting 400,000 launch day.:/
Has it ever occured to you that Japan has a fewer amount of people than the US? So I would think that the ratio of PS3's that the US is recieving is bigger in the US than Japan? Of course the US is gettin' more PS3's since the US obviously has a lot more people. Duh.

SuperMajinLink 287

Smash Lord
Ah, I see. That's why you're the Paragon of Excellence.
Yeah, real funny there buddy, you're quite the comedian. I actually pulled that title from FFXI after recieving all the AF RDM pieces and got the title paragon of redmage excellence. I liked the title a lot because I thought it sounded badass but I left out RDM and put the rest of it in as my user title.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Japan only got 80,000, not the 100,000 they were supposed to. No word on if our 400,000 has changed also.

I don't really care much. I wouldn't be able to justify the purchase for myself until next year, when some games that I actually care about will be released.

Zink

Smash Champion
I'm sad they cut 20,000 consoles off the total. Few enough of actual gamers got a PS3 in Japan. Where could those 20k be, though? Did they gloss over it because they knew it would be more bad publicity? Isn't it worse to make a late announcement than a previous one? Are they sending those 20k as a suprise shipment to Europe?

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
Japan only got 80,000, not the 100,000 they were supposed to. No word on if our 400,000 has changed also.

I don't really care much. I wouldn't be able to justify the purchase for myself until next year, when some games that I actually care about will be released.
Same here Fox.No reason to get one without any great games to play.It might be 2 years before I deside to get one(HDTV as well),until then,Wii FTW.:laugh:

Top Bottom