• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PlayStation

Zink

Smash Champion
Just saw the LittleBigPlanet thing... nice :) Some of the demo things were odd though, the people kept getting stuck.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Playstation 3 is hitting Europe come next Friday. What does that mean for us? New Firmware! We will also be getting the upgraded PSN, with the rumored downloading in background, as well as buddy stuff, and all kinds of cool features. This is the big update we've been waiting for.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Chill, here's the update you should get a PS3 for:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/773/773672p1.html
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/772/772947p1.html

The version 1.6 update will enable BACKGROUND DOWNLOADING. Finally, we can do other stuff while downloading software. Also, the second article is of the new Folding@Home software that will be added to the PS3. You'd heard of this as the stuff that cures diseases using your PC (I have it and it's great) well this will make use of the massive Cell processor. Also in the update is the revamped Keyboard (no longer text message style) and a scaling browser based on your video out settings. Finally, PSP is getting a BIG make over with this as well in that your PS3 can connect to a wireless point (even with the 20GB) and your PSP can access that.

MK2 better be extra in this update!

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Some of those features are quite nice. And it's good to know Sony isn't forgetting about 20GB owners. Which reaffirms my decision to buy the 20GB.

However, DMC4 was recently announced to be mulit-platform. While I've never played a DMC game before and don't care where it goes I realize this can affect games I do care about. Not a single game I want has gone to another console mostly due to them being first party games so the PS3 is still a viable game console for me.

But not every game I want is first party. I do worry that instead of releasing games on both platforms they'll release soley on the 360. The 360 has several RPGs releasing this year but given the sales of these games I don't know if I can expect to see this continue.

I figured that if I had a Wii which is doing great in sales it would have plenty of games I want released on it. Except that doesn't seem to be true. I like te Wii for a lot of things but game selection is not one of them. There's only one game I want this year for sure and one game I might want.

This year is important for Sony and more so for me. I'm going to stick with my decision to wait till the end of the year. I'm still pretty sure the PS3 is the one I'm going to choose but things can change. I really didn't want 3 consoles this gen but it looks like that's what I may need to buy to get what I want.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I agree. I definitely didn't want 3 consoles again (I bought a PS2 at launch and then got an XBox and a GCN, the XBox broke after 6 months, but that was probably my fault).

DMC was from the former Sony CEO. Game Informer had an interview with the new aggressive CEO that even addressed losing exclusives like that and GTA4. He plans to make that change, while establishing the Sony name.

As I said in another topic, I waited about a month for a PS3 to be available at my Gamestop, the whole time there were stacks of Wiis that I just didn't want. There isn't much appeal in the long run there. 360 would have been my only other choice, what with it's HD DVD drive and HD support overall, but I stuck with the PS3 for the franchises (Silent Hill 5 will be on it, as will God of War 3, Shadows of the Collossus, and the potiential sequel to Katamari). Every other big title that I'd want is available on PS3 or PC.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I'm feeling that I'll eventually get a PS3. Eventually. I really want to play the God of War games (I'm a sucker for Greek mythology), LittleBigPlanet shows promise, Lair is from the guys who did the Rogue Squadron games on GameCube (Which were awesome, sans foot missions in #3) and looks awesomely epic, I want to play Calling All Cars! really bad, as I love simple/addicting games like that, and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune had me interested from its first trailer when it did have a name, can't wait to see more about that game. But yeah. It'll be awhile. I already regret getting a Wii so early (Um, Zelda was fun, and ExciteTruck was cool for two days... but where are the new good games?), wish I would've just invested that money into more 360 stuff.

I would really like one of the HD disc formats to just disappear so I can start buying HD movies, too. Wal-Mart has the 360 HD-DVD drive for $130, but I'd be pretty unhappy if I bought that for $130 and it wasn't being supported in a year. Same with a PS3, I'd be unhappy if I bought it and started buying HD movies for it and then HD-DVD picks up steam and blows it out of the water. Right now Blu-Ray is doing something like 3 times better sales wise than HD-DVD, but I'll continue to just watch on the side lines.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I already regret getting a Wii so early (Um, Zelda was fun, and ExciteTruck was cool for two days... but where are the new good games?), wish I would've just invested that money into more 360 stuff.
I felt the same way. Those are the exact games I have and I haven't bought a game since launch. I rented a few titles but didn't hang on to them for too long. And while this has nothing to do with Nintendo, I'm fairly certain that Sega has lost the ability to make a good game.

Don't tell anyone but I saw some Wiis on ebay and entertained the thought of selling mine. But just for a second I swear!

Gah, it's hard to be patient. The Wii hasn't satisfied me and the 360 and PS3 have some really good looking games coming out this year.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Don't be a ******. Who cares how many they sell? I don't, I got mine. **** the rest of gamers as long as I get the games I want.

Also, I finally got the system update. Folding@Home is so cool on the PS3 because you can circle the planet and such, see cities which feature the PS3s in. It's pretty cool overall.

The new keyboard is so freakin' easy to type with. Haven't tried the whole downloading in background yet.

Cashed: Calling All Cars is tagged for April with the MK2 (in HD and multiplayer) MK2 is $5, not sure how much CAC will be.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Oh gee sorry for having a perfectly valid opinion. I wasn't aware that finding something amusing which has to do with the topic at hand was so thoroughly frowned upon.

Anyways, is Home as good as it seems?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The fact is you did it, just to rile up people to argue. That's called being an *******. Add to the fact you do it about a console, and that's called being an ******* with no life. How does it affect you that they don't sell that many? It doesn't. It doesn't affect me if they sell millions either. So why care?

Home isn't out yet, it's still in beta.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
You know CK, you seem to have a pretty strong opinion about people pointing out that the PS3 isn't so great. Maybe YOU should take a step back, because reacting like that? Just kinda makes you seem a tad hypocritical, imo.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Actually, I posted it because I found it enjoyable and I thought other people on this forum with a similar view on Sony that I have would also find it enjoyable. I didn't post it to rile up an argument, but it's convenient for you to say that I did because look what's happening now: we're arguing. What's more is that you've made me look like the guilty party. Once again, CK, Well played. You've structured your rebuttal in such a way that if I try to defend myself in any way, I look like the idiot. You know what? I put it to you that you did it just to rile up an argument because like I said, we're arguing now. That's being an *******.

Also, I care because for the past 5 years, I've been given **** by Sony and MS fans over being a Nintendo fanboy without having much of a backup argument. However, now that the PS3 doesn't look like it's doing too well in Australia and all around the world, I actually have something to throw back in their faces. That's why I care.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I lost interest by now. You guys take me WAY to ****ing serious on here. If you think I care that much about a toy, beyond playing it, you crack me up.

Chill, tell me when you get your PS3 so I can beat you in MK2.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Story

So the 20GB is gone now at least in the US. I think it was a combination of shipping fewer 20GB to retail and a lack of information on the two models. Obviously people can't buy something that's not in stores. And I think the general attitude may have been "it cost less, something must be wrong with it".

Even Sony was cutting down the numbers they should have kept it for those still interested. A lot of people said the 20GB looked better too.

"We'll continue to monitor demand for the 20GB model, from a consumer and retailer perspective...which will be factored into any future Euro launch plans," a Sony Computer Entertainment Europe spokesperson told GameSpot UK.
Because of the above quote I have a feeling the 20GB will resurface or a HDD-less PS3 will release. Or not.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The 60 Gb was out selling the 20 GB 10:1. The reason I bought the 60 was because of the space, the Wifi, and the two extra ports. This is decent news really because now they will be more focused on the 60s production.

Also, tomorrow MK2 ONLINE!

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Why would anybody want to be stuck with a crippled console when they could pay $100 more and get the full version? Same for the Core 360. Neither of those make sense to me.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Because the $500 wasn't crippled. For the extra $100 you got Wi-fi, Card slots and 40GB of extra space. If you didn't need those there was really no reason to buy it.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Sadly, most people wanted all that extra stuff. The Wifi Adaptor was like $50 if you just wanted that.

Today in the store was MK2 Arcade, LittleBigPlanet Trailer, and Spider-Man 3 Trailer.

MK2 was freaking hard back in the day, and this is just as difficult. I am having a hell of a time doing fatalities on the off chances I get to the "Finish Him" screen.

LittleBigPlanet Trailer is the one posted earlier in HD. It's a really cool game that I can't wait to get into. Spider-Man 3, you've all seen.

Calling All Cars and Super Rub-A-Dub will be out next Thursday. Fortunately I get paid Monday. Also, Sony has explained a little more of what Home will do to get money. Since it's free (like Second Life) and will be persistent, they will have to add in game retailers, promotions and advertisers. Companies that want to make use of Home, can set up an in-game booth with demos and such. Content can be downloaded interactively. Finally, they are working on models that will enable gamers who want to sell stuff, to connect to people who want to buy stuff (think Ebay).

Pretty amazing next few months for Sony, but I really can't wait to see what will come from them by Christmas.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
For anyone even remotely considering getting one, wait until September. That will be the PS3s biggest month, plus by then MANY great titles will be out. Chill this is for you.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

Old. But still hilarious.

And Crimson King, why wait 'til September? What are you expecting? I've been wondering whether or not to pick one up, but I can't justify the purchase with the only game out that looks interesting being RFoM. I'm not a huge fan of FPSs, you see.

[Edit:]

Those arrows are clearly directed at Frank Fly.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Sensai, I'm in the same boat. Halo is the only FPS I like so while I might possibly try out RfoM I would never buy a PS3 for it.

He probably said to wait because Gamespot had an article titled "PS3 in for a big September". It listed many of the games the PS3 will get this year (and really I didn't realize how much quality stuff there is to look forward to). The only thing is all of the games listed won't be released in September. They will be released before, during and after.

If your not so much into FPS and are more into advenutre or action games like me, this year looks like it won't dissapoint.

IGN has a sweet hands on update with Lair. There are some slight camera issues but everything looks good. In the video "On the ground" you can see how easily you can switch between flight and on ground combat. The levels are huge and the water affects look amazing.

Read

See

Watch

The graphics aren't where they can be and it shows in some areas but according to the interview this is the Alpha build.

Obligatory picture:

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Lmao. That controller is even worse than the 360's (which looks alot better in good lighting conditions, I must admit).

Anyways, I thought the PS3 would look alot better than the X360, but in all honesty I think it almost looks worse. It's gonna cost a fricken arm and leg with all that crap in it. Seriously, I get game systems for playing games, not for everything else.

I already have a place to put my SD cards.

I can already play DVDs in like five different areas in my home.

I already have plenty of music-playing devices.

I can video-chat on MSN Messenger... for free.

I already have unlimited internet access on the nine computers in our house. And Web-TV sucks anyway.

For gods sake I'm not paying an extra $100 for features I don't want.

Please, Nintendo, let the Revolution not be ********. Please.
This guy is brillant. Sony is ******** for adding the same useless crap every year. We don't need DVD and MP3 players, we already have that stuff. They just want to make money with that useless crap.

Sensai

Smash Master
Y'know, they can't really be adding the same stuff over and over...

And I'm not sure what you mean. They threw in things that they thought would make the system more desirable.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
What I meant was September/October is when we get Warhawk, Lair (summer game), Heavy Rain, The Darkness, Silent Hill 5, Assassin's Creed, GTA 4, Home, MGS 4, DMC 4, and some other game I am forgetting. Also, there are rumblings that there will be a price drop this summer as well. Your best bet is to wait until then but I am loving living off the PSN games that are out and Resistance is pretty awesome. Also, LittleBigPlanet demo will be out around then as well. Chill, I don't read IGN or Gamestop much, I just find the info based on release dates, but that's pretty cool that there is a united wait for the fall. The console isn't even a year old, give it time to generate exclusives. The PS2 had ****ty launch titles with the best being like Summoner (Which I hated). At least this time you get a great game like Resistance out of it.

Also, Blu-Ray is pretty much the future of media content. HD will become the standard within 2 years (it has to if you look online) and Blu Ray is widely accepted in publishing houses.

As for Frank Fly's, I don't bother. People will always bash what they can't afford for something they can. When XBox came out against the GCN, people bashed it because it wasn't Nintendo. Fanboyism doesn't bother me other than it's pretty stupid and short-sighted. But if you have to validate your purchase by blasting a multi-billion dollar company, well you have a pretty sad life. I like Nintendo, I just am refusing to buy a Wii until they step up in a business sense. But that is a whole different rant.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Whoa whoa whoa there. Heavy Rain doesn't come out till late 2008! If GameSpot says otherwise, they're wrong, I've read dev interviews that say they game is scheduled to come out late 2008.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Y'know, they can't really be adding the same stuff over and over...

And I'm not sure what you mean. They threw in things that they thought would make the system more desirable.
But at what cost? Look at how desirable PS3 is for it's price. Not very imo. That price would probably be cheaper if they didn't waste time and space for stuff like playing MP3s. I was going to say DVDs but that's what blu-ray does and it's supposedly going to be used in games.

Too bad developers don't have the time to make use of all of that space, that's why Xbox is getting so many games from PS3, because in order for them [the developers] to make money they have to spend more time on the PS3 version. Also the number of PS3s sold isn't that high so if a company needs to sell 500k games to make a profit and only 1 million PS3s were sold they'd have to hope that half of the PS3 owners buy that game.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Well, good thing I didn't get a PSP last weekend like I planned to (I sold my DS Friday and was about to go get it) because as of tomorrow PS1 titles from the store can be played on the PS3. Hmm Syphon Filter for $5, Jet Moto, Crash, TM better come soon!

I'll post a review of Super Rub-A-Dub too.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
PS1 games playable is nice. I was kind of afraid they wouldn't do it. They'll probably get a lot more people downloading them now. Requirng you to own both a PSP and a PS3 was pretty dumb.

Ratchet and Clank preivew

I thought this was worth sharing. The following quote was taken from the story.

"Cronk and Zephyr are pretty old, decrepit, kind of falling apart, and always at odds with one another on whose hardware is best," Design Director Brian Allgeier tells us as he describes two new robots you'll meet in Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, which jumps and shoots its way to the PlayStation 3 this fall. "Cronk's got Blu-ray technology, Zephyr's got some online abilities...it's a long story."

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Wow, that's a nice nerd jab by the R&C crew. They haven't done stuff like that in gaming in... well I can't remember it ever happening so very cool.

Chill said:
Requirng you to own both a PSP and a PS3 was pretty dumb.
Dumb or intelligent? Before I got the PS3 and realized the PS1 titles on it were both really good ones (more coming) AND cheap, I was excited and even was able to justify the purchase of a PSP from that. Add to the fact of some really good games coming out and I was **** close to buying this. I even sold my DS last week, with the intention of buying a PSP with the money. Thankfully, at the advice of my girlfriend, I postponed the purchase and we got out surprise firmware update. Never one to disappoint, Sony addressed the complaints by the over-zealous fans. Some fans who were on their PS3 at Midnight, got the update, saw the compatibility to the PS1 games, and bought out the store (not a bad haul for Sony making 5.99 per title on games 10 years old) and realize the firmware was for NEXT week or even May's update. The PSP requires both the game and encrypting codes to play PS1 titles; the PS3 doesn't need to code. So they were left with useless titles and feared having to repurchase. Sony calmed them by claiming they would not need to make another purchase and it will be patched for them.

Sadly, there will be no augmentations to classic PS1 titles. They are exactly as they were on the PS1. This kills my chances of Online Twisted Metal until they re-release Black, but at the same time, excites me that I can play the great PS1 titles on my PS3 without digging up my PS1. Not too bad.

I was gonna have my review of Calling All Cars and Super Rub-A-Dub today, but both were delayed, the latter without explanation; the former never had an official release date.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Hey hey Crimson, PS2 had a great title launch, and that game was TekkenTagTournament, arguably the best Tekken game hands down, that was more than enough for me to buy a PS2 on launch, excellent graphics, top notch perfect arcade gameplay, and a good for setting up torunaments to boot. Also, this year, when MGS4 comes out, I'm all on the PS3 like a virus, seriously, I really still cannot believe people who are still complaining about the pricing on the system, I'm guessing everybody here is 14 yrs old and doesn't have a job.

I have bills and insurances to pay, rent to pay, buying food to put in my fridge. college to pay for, not to mention other misc things and stuff and I can still afford the PS3. To me complaining still about the price that's just unbelievable man, if you have a decent job, within a year you if you just saved up, should've been able to have bought a PS3 already.

Blue-Ray is going to be the new gig wether you like it or not, having a PS3 will help in this manner.

Again, as I've said before in the console wars topic, I buy the system for their games, kind of like how I will now buy an XBox 360 just for Super Street Fighter II : HD Remix alone, completely re-animated sprites by Udon Comics with new ending and illustrations...being a SF player, that's too good to be true.

It's all about the games, Lair looks pretty **** cool at this moment, however I'm waiting for the big guns like MGS4, FFXIII, and Tekken6. I'm also looking forward to Gran Turismo, whenever that comes out, on the PS3 that will make me wet my pants, and is the best racing simulator game to date.

To me, give the PS3 some time, within 2 years, that's when you can really start to guess where a system stands out. We need to quit bashing the PS3, that system isn't even a year old yet.

Top Bottom