• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PlayStation

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Blue-Ray is going to be the new gig wether you like it or not.
That's what they said about Beta. It's waaaaaaay too imposble to say who's going to win at this stage when the race hasn't even started to gain momentum.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Beta was the new gig of it's time. You are thinking of Laser Discs. Beta was replaced with VHS after a long time which was replaced with DVDs. Most claim DVDs are irreplaceable, but given that the HD market is exploding, one format will become dominant sooner or later.

I wasn't a fan of Tekken as I am an MK fighter more than any other. But I'll concede that it had a good title then.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Beta was the new gig of it's time. You are thinking of Laser Discs. Beta was replaced with VHS after a long time which was replaced with DVDs.
Not quite. Beta came out in 1975 while VHS came out in 1976. Beta was most popular til 1983 of which afterwards declined with VHS taking the lead.

Regardless his just shows how wrong it is to claim one's won/is going to win at this stage.

Sandy

Smash Champion
That's what they said about Beta. It's waaaaaaay too imposble to say who's going to win at this stage when the race hasn't even started to gain momentum.
HD-DVD has both formats on either side of the disc. That's a winner in my book.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I think the HD-DVD/Blu-ray era is going to screw a lot of people over since it's going to be similar to buying videogames [with the compatibility issues and exclusive titles] and after a while one is going to win so people will be forced to convert.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Recap of the Day.

Ah the Playstation III. The next gen system that sucks your bank account dry with a high powered vaccum if you were gullible enough to buy it at full price. And even so, if you have money left over, you'll still have to purchase a game or two, another controller, and get an online service, thus you've spent a "pretty penny" on not even a good deal. With this being said, one might think to oneself that this piece of crap and it's maker care nothing about the consumer and his/her feelings.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Take it to the console debates. At least there we can contain fanboy bull****.

This is about if either is better or not. It's about discussion of it by people who have it or want it. If you don't like it, don't post, as Mic claimed in the console debate.

As for HD-DVD being both, that's not true at all. HD-DVD has a max storage of about 30gb with the Blu-Ray at 50. If Blu-Ray wins the format war, HD-DVDs would have to convert.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I think he meant HD-DVDs have the DVD on one side, and the HD-DVD on the other side, which is true.

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm not sure it's really time for an upgrade from DVDs, honestly.

We upgraded to DVDs because VHS wasn't making people happy anymore. At this point and time, the majority of the people are completely fine with a widescreen DVD showing of a movie. The people who truly want a HD experience are vastly outnumbered by people who don't really care to see the difference.

My point is that I have no idea who's going to win the format war, but I don't think it'll be decided for quite a while. I think the standard DVD will be around (and by this I mean dominant) for at least a few more years.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I'm not sure it's really time for an upgrade from DVDs, honestly.

We upgraded to DVDs because VHS wasn't making people happy anymore. At this point and time, the majority of the people are completely fine with a widescreen DVD showing of a movie. The people who truly want a HD experience are vastly outnumbered by people who don't really care to see the difference.

My point is that I have no idea who's going to win the format war, but I don't think it'll be decided for quite a while. I think the standard DVD will be around (and by this I mean dominant) for at least a few more years.
The format war won't ramp up until at earliest of February 2009. All televisions will be converted to HD signal and those that aren't will require a special converter. Until then I don't see it making much sense to even claim a champ.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Content Bump:

Today we got Rampart (which looks pretty sweet), Trailer 3 for Warhawk, Burnout Trailer, AND Calling All Cars.

Not a bad update all. I'll post a review of CAC.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Where can we see the trailers? I'm interested in Warhawk and Burnout. I wonder what they plan to do with Burnout now, I hope it doesn't wind up like Madden.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
The format war won't ramp up until at earliest of February 2009. All televisions will be converted to HD signal and those that aren't will require a special converter. Until then I don't see it making much sense to even claim a champ.
That's incorrect. In 2009, we are converting from analog to digital. My TV recieves digital, but it's still only 480i. So I guess it'll get pushed back even further than you thought.

Sensai

Smash Master
Chill said:
I can imagine that would be difficult after paying over 300 dollars for Twilight Princess.
Burn.

Has anyone seen all those Home images and videos and such? What do you (the Playstation crew) think about them?

As a Wii owner, I'm sincerely hoping that Nintendo does something like that (besides Animal Crossing).

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Home can either be a complete success and propel Sony way beyond ANYTHING any console could ever hope to accomplish OR it could be a complete failure, but since it is free, people would just hang out on it. The first means worldwide fame. The second means literally nothing in terms of hurting Sony. They offered a super ambitious program completely free; there is really no way anyone can complain with that.

Sony basically found one of the safest business moves in a long time. However, had they made Home cost money they would have been even higher up if successful, but even farther down if failed. I guess the risk wasn't worth the reward.

Also,
[quote = linkw00t]700+ dollars for Ninja Gaiden Sigma? No thank you.[/quote]

**** like that won't be tolerated. I don't go into the Nintendo topic and state why I dislike Nintendo's business model and even if I did, it's be more substance than the bashing here. Fact is, if you don't like it, use the Console Debates, otherwise I'll use my mod powers to keep it in line. This is for Playstation 3 hardware discussion. At least give non-Nintendo gamers ONE safe topic, *******.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

Close-minded/less intelligent people tend to congregate either here or the Brawl Discussion boards.

It is the optimum place for random, unsupported by fact banter.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Well, at least we don't have people spamming console wars as much, that's an easy topic to pick at.

So..... do you think Sony will stick to their promise of keeping PS3 alive for 10 years or will they go longer or shorter? Personally I think they'll stick to their word. I hope Nintendo and MS are going to keep their consoles alive that long too, I hate searching for a console every 5 years especially since the price is increasing tremendously.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I blame it on the media. COnservative talkshows like Bill O'Reily and people like SImon Cowel make it seem like its cool and it'll make you successful if you belittle other people and tell them why they fail in various ways.

and judging by simon cowell and Mr. O'Reilly (no idea how to spell his name), it seems like bashing people is the way to get rich.

So don't think of flaming as a hate filled aggravation, think of it as an investment.

God, you mods suck like the PS3 sucks cash (nothing personal, just the $$$ talking). :D

Now on a serious note, I'm pissed because the guy who was going to room with me and has a PS3, while I have a Wii, decided to go to a different college. At least my room won't burn down from the sheer level of awesomeness.

Yeah, I'm really nervous that one of the mods is going to take that earlier comment seriously for some random reason so I'm going to cover my *** and say it was for the purposes of an example of a humorous and ******** conjecture.

*phew*

Though i have to say, we'll only be rid of flamers when pigs soar over the frozen wastelands of Hell.

Pey

Smash Apprentice
Well, at least we don't have people spamming console wars as much, that's an easy topic to pick at.

So..... do you think Sony will stick to their promise of keeping PS3 alive for 10 years or will they go longer or shorter? Personally I think they'll stick to their word. I hope Nintendo and MS are going to keep their consoles alive that long too, I hate searching for a console every 5 years especially since the price is increasing tremendously.

Well just look at the past, PS2 is still getting good games while PS3 gets a foothold (Manhunt 2) and PS1's last game was in 2003 as Fifa, so yeah I think the hardware itself will be entertaing for at least 10 years. Bottom line is PS is supported/fun for way longer than the other consoles (unless Zelda can last you a couple years).

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Bottom line is PS is supported/fun for way longer than the other consoles.
Just wanted to add for trivia's sake, that the Dreamcast is still having games made for it.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I know there are TONS of homebrew games, but I didn't know there were any official big name games out.

Also, I just bought Rampage: World Tour.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Apparently Sony just held their "Gamer's Day". I never heard of it before but I guess it's a day where they show games. :p

I'm still a little miffed over the death of the 20GB but I don't think I'll be able to hold out on the PS3 come years end. Everything that I was interesting in reading up on looked good. Ratchet and Clank is really, really ridiculously good looking. I can't resist posting a shot.

I didn't like Drake's Fortune when I first saw it but now it looks even more interesting than I first thought. Heavenly Sword on the other hand looks so boring. A trailer was shown showcasing various environments but you never see them during the playable areas. If I see another shot of a generic arena...

New Drake's Fortune trailer

More screens and info for Home and the awesomeness that is LBP was also shown.Character and level creation from LBP

Sadly, it's all so far away right now.

Sensai

Smash Master
The last NES game was made just a few months back (adding to trivia).

LittleBigPlanet looks frackin' sweet. Might be worth a PS3 just for that game (as I'm sure Bioshock will validate a 360 purchase).

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I personally believe the Blu-ray and HD-DVD formats will never catch on the same way DVDs did. The world is heading toward digital distribution. Downloads are where it's at. Why pay for physical media anymore?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Buzz I wouldn't count on media going completely digital. In EGM's future discussion issue [that's not the real name but they were mostly talking about stuff in the future] I read that some companies will keep using physical storage devices because people prefer it that way. I'll read that part again to see what they mean actually but I don't feel like searching through my stack of EGMs, although it's probably at the top.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Digital Distribution is about 10 - 20 years minimum from becoming the norm. For one thing, since you no longer have cds for massive files, Hard Drives will have to become quite large. Resistance: Fall of Man was 16 GB and the PS3 HD is about 44 or 45 (60 GB) making the max storage about 2 or 3 games since I think that was considered quite large (or maybe small). That includes no other games downloaded from the store, no other saves, music, movies, pictures, nothing but two to three games.

Next, these massive games will have to go to your hard drive and, surprisingly, Broadband is not in everyone's home yet. A lot of people have it, but not everyone, thereby isolating SOMEONE and making this market strategy not feasible.

I love digital distribution, and can't wait until it IS the norm, but until then, I see it as a long ways away.

Also, FYI, Warhawk will be available for download AND purchase with the BD version having a ton of extras + an official blu-tooth mic.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Yeah, I read about what happened to Warhawk in that edition of EGM. Personally I think it's great, once you live in America or Japan. But outside those regions it becomes a pain the in *** to get online and the price of decent broadband is shocking [like $150 USD a month for 512K I think].

There's nothing the developed countries can do sadly, taxes are the main reason for the ubar [cool typo ftw!] high prices. I guess I'll just move to America when I get older, that way digital distribution will sound a lot better.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Gametap has an excellent idea for digital subscription, it downloads only portions of the game, but it creates some slow-down later on.

Warhawk's concept is REALLY cool. Basically it's a PSN game (no single player at all, as far as I am aware) with the BD version being the uber Collector's Edition.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Warhawk looked like crap when it was first shown. The environments were bland and empty and the guy couldn't even land the plane on this huge platform.

I watched a video for online play awhile ago,if I remember right it had 32 players, it was completely different from what we first saw. The game was fast, the levels were huge and way more detailed, and it actually controlled well. I think I read there's a beta beginning the 25th of this month.

This digg page has more videos than the first link I gave. It even organizes them into a different section for each game. Click

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Awesome!

Last week Firmware Version 1.8 came out and gave us some freakin' awesome updates.

1. Upscaling - Like top end DVD players, the PS3 now can upscale DVDs, PS1, AND PS2 titles to 1080p. Sure it won't look as good as true HD movies and games, but it's a really cool thing.

2. Global Remote Access with the PSP - With Firmware Version 3.5 on the PSP, you can now access your PS3 at home with an WiFi hotspot. Stuck in class? You can turn your PS3 on, start a game downloading, and even being Folding, all while away. Really cool feature that shows the PS3 and PSP integration finally being used.

I just got an HD TV today and it REALLY makes the experience so awesome. Even the store looks amazing in HD.

I don't think that this is an appropriate area to ask this question but...I have been thinking about the possibilty of a PS3 purchase,but I tend to sway more towards the 360 because of the game selection(I like Phantasy Star Universe alot).

Is there a good variety of games that are going to be released near holiday season?I really need to figure out what system I should purchase(Even though i'm slighly persuaded towards the 360,even still I generally like all systems,and dislike Fanboy-ism),so I came here to see if I can be suaded towards Sony's behalf.

I already have my Wii,and I wanted something along the lines of a more moderated game system rather than inovation design(The Wii is fun,but i've been gaming since I was 2 years old.Can't live without my good old pad.).

So...anything?Thanks in advance. ; )

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Go for whatever suits your taste. I know what you're thinking "wow chill thanks for the help." -_-

Think of it like this, what games do you want and what games do you really want?

I was in the same boat as you but I've thought about it a lot and I decided that when it comes down to it I'm more interested in the games coming to the PS3 than the ones coming to the 360. I do want to play Banjo3 but if I had to choose between that and LBP I know which I'd pick. Here's a few games that have a decent amount of coverage that you can look into.

Warhawk,Folklore, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Lair, Heavenly Sword,Ratchet and Clank and SOCOM.

Those are some of the games releasing this year in some form. Next year should see the release of Final fantasy, White Knight Story, Tekken and Metal Gear.

In addtion there's the PSN with games like Calling all Cars and additional features like Home.

Aside from Phantasy Star you didn't really mention anything specific you like so I tried to cover as many genres as I could.

----------------
Anways, I was posting because of this game I just found out about. It's a MMO that will be released on both the PS3 and PC. I don't really like MMOs as they are all kind of "samey", ie, Final Fantasy, Everquest, Guild Wars, World of Warcraft and Lord of the Rings.

The Angency: Video and Info

There's not much to go on now but if it turns out well it could be something different and fun on in the MMO genre.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I signed up for the Agency Beta. Cross your fingers I get it and can post some info!

Also, Go! Puzzle came out today. $5.99 for 3 mini-games? Yes, please!

Top Bottom