• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PlayStation

Tedius Zanarukando

Smash Apprentice
I certainly prefer the PlayStation 3 over the Xbox 360 and especially the Wii (although it is the most successful). The PlayStation 3 will be getting Final Fantasy XIII, which I am most anticipating. I despise the Wii, because I am not anticipating Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Sony's aparently decided Rumble isn't last Gen afterall. Funny how their attitude's changed since they settled their lawsuit. Anyway...

The new SIXAXIS design will feature a more advanced form of haptic feedback referred to as "Touch Sense," which will provide for more distinct sensations in different parts of the pad, as opposed to just the handles. Examples given of the more advanced vibration effects include reproducing the "fast jolt and forces caused by a shot," and, in games such as Colin Mcrae DiRT, not only will you be able to feel the difference between varying road surfaces, but you'll even be able to feel the subtle differences between accelerating/decelerating and changing gears.
I really don't expect there to be much diference between Rumble and "touch sense" unless they add a really powerful motor, though they did mention something about costs being similar, so I dunno.

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=...ew+SIXAXIS+to+feature+"Touch+Sense"

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
If the rumble is extra, I'm not getting it. I've been turning off rumble for years, and I never even missed it once with the PS3. Sure, some people like, but I can't use it anyway.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Easily the best of show went to Sony. They dropped the price of the PSP, announced some awesome games. Wow. Just wow.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
What's a PSP?
I'm kidding

I completely forgot about that. I planned to get one but after a while the urge just left me. I think Sony needs to promote PSP more, the only good game coming out that I know of is that God of War =/ PSPs in different colours would be nice as well [red please].

If I was rich enough I'd buy a PS3 I go right ahead because there quite a few good games to look forward to like MGS4, Warhawk, FFXIII and GTA IV. I just wish the higher ups at Sony would stop being so arrogant so that I could actually respect them.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
There will be two new colors for the PSP, white and Ice Silver bother with package deals. With the Ice Silver you get $200 for a PSP, Daxter, Family Guy Freakin Sweet Collection, and a 1gb memory stick.

Also, as part of the new PSP design you can now take an output cable, connect it to your TV and play PSP games, movies, whatever on TV. Really awesome feature.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
There will be two new colors for the PSP, white and Ice Silver bother with package deals. With the Ice Silver you get $200 for a PSP, Daxter, Family Guy Freakin Sweet Collection, and a 1gb memory stick.

Also, as part of the new PSP design you can now take an output cable, connect it to your TV and play PSP games, movies, whatever on TV. Really awesome feature.
That's something I would like. I'm one of those people who bought the GB connector for the Gamecube. I wish there was some way to connect it to the Wii.

That's a pretty good deal on the PSP. Does anyone have any comparison pics between the new and old versions? I read it was slimmer but that doesn't really help me much.

I definately think Sony had the best E3 presentation. Microsofts wasn't terrible there just wasn't any suprises. That's one of the best things about E3 is getting surpised like we did with the Brawl announcement last year.

Nintendo's wasn't bad either just incredibly unnapealing to me personally. Am I the only person who felt like they experienced Deja Vu?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
MS had Halo 3, no point in even attempting to out do that. Nintendo just messed up badly by having a lack of good stuff.

Chill, you may want to not buy the 80GB PS3 even if it comes with Motorstorm since it doesn't have an emotion engine for PS1 and PS2 playback.

Infamous! I forgot about this one. Along with MGS4, I think Cashed and I said "holy ****" more in that than anything else.

EDIT: PSP buyers, that Entertainment Bundle (Ice Silver, mem stick, Daxter, and Family Guy) ships in September with the Star Wars: Battlefront Renegade pack (White PSP with Vaders face on it and Battlefront) ships in December. Both are $200 for the packs.

Also, you MIGHT not be able to run homebrew on these new PSPs, at least not for a while. The version 1.0 that runs unsigned codes could be blocked with the new PSP making homebrew impossible. Of course, with this new model, I can see the PSP dropping even lower.

Sensai

Smash Master
E3 always inspires me to look past my clearly biased Nintendo self. This year especially, as I'm feeling they're all but abandoning the 'hardcore' (or the 'real', IMO) gamers.

I'm not really sure why I started off with that introductory paragraph, as this has almost nothing to do with that at all...

Do any of you gents have a PSP? I've been thinking about getting one for the sole purpose of running PS1 games and getting in on that kick arse homebrew scene.

Still not terribly interested in a PS3, as shooters don't really appeal to me. Assassin's Creed looks fantastic, but I could (and probably will) be getting a 360...FFXIII and MGS4 look excellent, though. Might have to consider...

Ok, now I understand what that paragraph was for.

Red Exodus

Smash Master

What? No red? At least the bundle is worth it as far as I know. I'd love to play PSP games on my TV, I remember playing Dead to Rights a while ago and it almost made we want to buy a PSP.

Sony by far had the best conference this year. Major props to them. Makes me want a PS3.
I missed everything other than that 1 minute of Brawl where Reggie gave us the release date. Hopefully I can find more footage on youtube or something. I also bought those GB cables for the GC. I feel like an *** since I only used it twice for 2 player FF Crystal Chronicles, speaking of which, the sequel looks kick ***.

E3 always inspires me to look past my clearly biased Nintendo self. This year especially, as I'm feeling they're all but abandoning the 'hardcore' (or the 'real', IMO) gamers.

I'm not really sure why I started off with that introductory paragraph, as this has almost nothing to do with that at all...

Do any of you gents have a PSP? I've been thinking about getting one for the sole purpose of running PS1 games and getting in on that kick arse homebrew scene.

Still not terribly interested in a PS3, as shooters don't really appeal to me. Assassin's Creed looks fantastic, but I could (and probably will) be getting a 360...FFXIII and MGS4 look excellent, though. Might have to consider...

Ok, now I understand what that paragraph was for.
If Nintendo plans to abandon their hardcore crowd they might as well use their money as baby wipes, I'll be really pissed if they just forget about they people that kept their heads above water last gen.

Nopers, no PSP here. You can help a guy out by buying one for him though, he has no problem with that. [hint: he is me]

I completely forgot about Assassin's Creed, does it even have a release date and is it still for 360 as well? I'd be into FFXIII if I was into FF, for some unknown reason I always find myself buying FFs that don't matter like FFCC and FFTA [GBA]. I think I'm becoming a MGS fan. I bored Subsistence from a friend and I'm going to have a hard time putting it down and giving it back. If anything will make me buy a PS3 it'll be MGS4.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Yes, Assassin's Creed is still for the 360. Microsoft had a 5+ minute demo during their conference, which looked completely amazing. Everyone should watch it, IGN has it under their Assassin's Creed videos.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I only remember a few details from an unofficial PS3 launch magazine I got a while back, I want to be hyped for it but I just can't shake the feeling of Prince of Persia: Next Gen. I think I'm just being paranoid. Help?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
You won't get any help from me because those were my exact thoughts when I first saw it. I haven't seen the new trailer so that might change.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Ubisoft made Prince of Persia's new trilogy. They used what made that game great and made it into the Assassin's Creed saga.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
The PS3 price drop isn't going to stick around guys, so if you're looking to take advantage of that $500 price, get to it. Sony has stopped production of the 60GB model and once they're gone from store shelves, they're moving on to only the 80GB model.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Honestly, this has got to be one of the dumbest moves in gaming. With the removal of the US backwards compatibility for the EU's version, the PS3 now has limited Backwards compatibility.

I'm glad I grabbed mine when I did. They will make substantially more on the new model of PS3s and can even have a second "price drop."

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
I think I'm just gonna wait until Playstation 4 is out.. and buy a PS3... :p

At this point in time honestly I am not interested in PS3 or Wii to be honest... Wii has nothing but first party titles, and I can't stand that, as good as the titles may be. PS3 is constantly messing with itself and hasn't shown much of a clear direction up until now... so I think I'll use the wait-and-see method of approach.

At any rate, enough roommates on my floor will have next gen consoles for me to bum off of anyway. :D

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I was thinking the same thing when I heard it CK. But it's pretty funny because I remember one of the higher-ups bashing MS for the same thing, he said something along the lines of "We don't settle for sorta backwards compatible, we are giving you 100% backwards compatibility." That was pretty a big "you suck" to MS.

I thought that statement was completely unnecessary and it became part of the reason I disliked Sony [I would buy their products, but I wouldn't be proud I did it]. Don't get me wrong, I don't want any company to fail but when one of them gets arrogant I withdraw my support. This is why I found it so funny when Sony found themselves in the same position as MS soon after they bashed them.

If Sony was more humble I'd feel sorry for them but right now they are getting what they deserve. At least they have a decent line-up of games.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
A company has ZERO reason to be humble and millions of dollars of reasons to be arrogant. Investors won't say "Hey, they a great company. They just sit back and ..." The fact that we are talking about Sony is enough to be great to them because they are getting coverage. With coverage comes exposure. It's stupid they dropped the price, but to say you are ashamed to buy a product is equally stupid. It's a business, somehow they know what they are doing.

McCloud, if I were you and I was even remotely interested in a PS3, get one now. The 60GB one is at a really good price of $500 and there are quite a few good games out now and a ton of great games coming out with in the next 6 months to keep you full.

Sensai

Smash Master
Tri-tri-tri-TRIPLE POST!!!!

And I disagree about the 'no reason to be humble' thing. You're right when you say that any publicity is good publicity (i.e., even though we're talking about their arrogance, we're still talking about them), but good publicity is better publicity.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
A company has ZERO reason to be humble and millions of dollars of reasons to be arrogant. Investors won't say "Hey, they a great company. They just sit back and ..."
Yeah, but if consumers get annoyed enough with a company that they decide not to buy its products, investors won't like that much either, will they?

Ray Maguire said:
We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even [if] it didn't have games.
Ray Maguire said:
Consider the US with its massive land and cheap people. Then you look at the UK - a little island where rent and rates are at an absolute premium, and the cost of people is a lot more.
I'm sorry, but insulting your costumers does not make for good publicity, no matter how you spin it.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Consider the US with its massive land and cheap people. Then you look at the UK - a little island where rent and rates are at an absolute premium, and the cost of people is a lot more.
What does this quote even mean? At first it sounds like an insult when he says the US has "cheap people" but look at how he used the word people in the second sentence. Regardless of his intention my response is the same.

I've never really cared about anything these guys say. One of the problems that people had with Nintendos conference this year was with all the video reels they had. They were basically saying "look how great we are and incase you forgot here's another video to remind you". Some responded by saying 'Nintendo's getting arrogant again'.

I don't really see why anyone should care. Are you going to enjoy your Wii any less if Nintendo was being arrogant? I doubt it.

Let's not kid ourselves few people are truly boycotting the PS3 because of anything Sony says. They just don't want to pay for a high priced console.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
What does this quote even mean? At first it sounds like an insult when he says the US has "cheap people" but look at how he used the word people in the second sentence. Regardless of his intention my response is the same.

I've never really cared about anything these guys say. One of the problems that people had with Nintendos conference this year was with all the video reels they had. They were basically saying "look how great we are and incase you forgot here's another video to remind you". Some responded by saying 'Nintendo's getting arrogant again'.

I don't really see why anyone should care. Are you going to enjoy your Wii any less if Nintendo was being arrogant? I doubt it.

Let's not kid ourselves few people are truly boycotting the PS3 because of anything Sony says. They just don't want to pay for a high priced console.
You know, that's all true, but I don't know what it has to do with what I said.

It's never a good marketing strategy to insult your customers. I'll admit it's arguable whether the second quote is insulting, because it's hard to tell what he's saying, but the first one I gave is absolutely insulting the intelligence of Sony's most loyal customers. That's just really freaking dumb.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I knew that would happen if I used that quote. My post wasn't aimed at you in particular but rather just joining in the conversation about "stuff Sony says".

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Sony also has denied bringing rumble to the Sixaxis. Oh well.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
There is a price drop, but just for the outdated model, wasn't it?

Oh, and the drops just for America.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
They're phasing out the 60GB so they can release the 80GB, which is cheaper for them to manufacture (uses emulation software instead of the emotion engine chip to play PS2 and PS1 games). It's still a drop, even if it's only for awhile.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Wow, 4 demos in about 3 weeks. So far we've gotten GRAW2, The Darkness (fun demo), diRt, and NCAA 08. Heavenly Sword came out at some point along with the 5 part Anime series explaining the origins of the Heavenly Sword.

I guess Sony is ramping up for the next few months of releases. September until like February 2008 is filled with at least 3 games I want, per month. Good thing I just got a raise.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I almost thought Cashed was Toecutter, I was like "since when did Toecutter become a mod?" Then I saw the name and took a closer look at the avatar, silly me.

Did Sony put any good games online yet? Like Warhawk for example? That one has me interested in the online section [what do you call it again? PSN? PSO? I can't remember] as well as in the PS3 as on a whole.

Haze [FPS] sounds good, I think Free Radical is making it, either them or Edios. They're the same guys who made the Timesplitter series until EA started developing it. I have no idea when it's coming out but it looks like it's worth checking out.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
PSN has a few good games out now, but nothing console buying worthy. Calling All Cars is the best by far. flOw is a great "chill out" game. Also, they have 12-14 PS1 titles available for downloading for about 5 bucks. If you have a PSP, you can download these games to your PSP and play on the road. Most recently added was Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Nucleus is a fun game, but it gets a bit stale (I just played the demo). Super Rubba Dub is a hella cute game of rubber duckies, that if you have a girlfriend or are a girl, you'll find adorable (This is why I had to buy it). Mortal Kombat 2, the best in the series in my opinion, is a BLAST online. Combat is fast paced, and there is zero lag for me. They have many puzzle games, but the best one is Blast Factor. You are in a small cell and you have to shoot bacteria. The gun is controlled by the right stick. Keep in mind that ALL PSN games are at most $9.99. The lowest is about $2.99. Really, for that price, you can't lose with these games.

Finally, the bigger games are coming out quite soon. The games I mean are Pain (You throw a person around and cause mayhem), High Velocity Bowling (Bowling with the SixAxis), Socom, EchoChrome, and Warhawk. All of these are must buys for me. Warhawk, I'll get in the store because it comes with a bluetooth mic.

th0rn

Smash Lord
gta4 looks like a pretty cool game. I just hope gta4 brings something new to the game instead of the same old type of missions.

EDIT: sorry about the sig =/

Top Bottom