• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playstation Vita/VitaTV

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
The PSV really needs a better marketing campaign. The two times I saw an ad for it was in the new RE movie trailer and an ad for Taco Bell contest to win one. That Taco Bell ad was in the restaurant itself.

Also, I heard that 3G bundle has a catch. As listed in one of the comments of that article:

Not trying to put the vita or anybody down but inform. I read a fellow commenter's comment on ign who said that there is a catch where you have to actually activate the 3g with at&t and make an account blah blah blah THEN you get the free game and memory THROUGH mail like a rebate or something. The credibility of this? Idk but it would make sense on at&t's part to nab some peeps in.
As for AT&T rates, here is a response to the above comment about that:

Service Plan

The AT&T DataConnect Pass plans are month-to-month with no long term contract. All plans include complimentary AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot access in the United States. There are two plan choices:

1.250MB for $14.99, 30-day recurring, which starts at the date and time of purchase, with the ability to opt out at any given month.

2.3GB for $30.00, 30-day recurring opt out, which starts at the date and time of purchase
I dunno if the above comments are true or not, but some food for thought. (The AT&T one is more credible than the first comment.)

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
XD ATT&T signals suck where I live, but I'd get wifi anyways. Though I bought psp on launch, and the one thing I learned is to never get a launch Sony product, :[

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Lol, you're joking right? they can barely make a battery to support 3g, much less 4g...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Ok...and how often will you need to be using 4g? Having the option to turn off 4g would help. My android phone has the option and it works wonders.

:phone:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
There will most likely be an option much like how a 3DS has a switch to turn wireless communications on and off. I would find it hard to believe that Sony wouldn't have thought of something like that.

What I'm concerned about is how durable those analog sticks are. PSP's stick was TERRIBLE.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Ok...and how often will you need to be using 4g? Having the option to turn off 4g would help. My android phone has the option and it works wonders.

:phone:

Well by that, Handhelds don't need Internet anywhere. If they do, it'll be rarely. Also phone batteries have way better batteries than psvita. This is like comparing a turd to a golden egg.

Vita has ~5hours without 3G on. Imagine with 4G on?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
No, you don't understand what I'm saying. It's all about practicality, and I find it hard that most PSvita users will be playing about 5 hours straight without a charge, no matter where they are. You don't need your internet on the Vita to be on everywhere you go, whether it's on standby or on. If for example, I on a subway train ride that lasts me 30 minutes going there and back, I can turn on my 4g and play online with some people. If I want to even download something where there is no wifi hotspot, I can use my 4g. I don't need to have it on 24/7, because if I wanna check for updates, it only takes 5 minutes having the thing on to get all your notifications and messages. Software updates should be reserved for wifi given how big those usually are.

And the comparison to other handhelds is rather poor. Someone like me, who doesn't need his emails or facebook notifications the moment they arrive, doesn't need their 4g on. If I wanna do all of that, I can turn it on and check on my own leisure rather than having my phone get notifications every hour. If I wanna make a quick post here on my phone, I just turn on the 4g, come here, make my post, and turn it back off.

Again, it's all about practicality.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I was already annoyed that it wasn't "4g." Maybe next reiteration. Playing multiplayer anywhere would be nice.
I was very annoyed they were making it.

Although, to be fair, I'd rather have that than a PS3 because they're both the same except having a portable PS3 is yards and miles better for me and my lifestyle.

And in a year and a half, expect the ports to pour in. Count on it.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
No, you don't understand what I'm saying. It's all about practicality, and I find it hard that most PSvita users will be playing about 5 hours straight without a charge, no matter where they are. You don't need your internet on the Vita to be on everywhere you go, whether it's on standby or on. If for example, I on a subway train ride that lasts me 30 minutes going there and back, I can turn on my 4g and play online with some people. If I want to even download something where there is no wifi hotspot, I can use my 4g. I don't need to have it on 24/7, because if I wanna check for updates, it only takes 5 minutes having the thing on to get all your notifications and messages. Software updates should be reserved for wifi given how big those usually are.

And the comparison to other handhelds is rather poor. Someone like me, who doesn't need his emails or facebook notifications the moment they arrive, doesn't need their 4g on. If I wanna do all of that, I can turn it on and check on my own leisure rather than having my phone get notifications every hour. If I wanna make a quick post here on my phone, I just turn on the 4g, come here, make my post, and turn it back off.

Again, it's all about practicality.

Yes, but the vita's battery is crap/going to be crap when used for anything, solely for how high maintenance the device is. You can not compare this to a phone, lol.

Even worse if it has a charge count :/

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Woooow, really Sony? What a way to say f to the u to people who actually buy your products. Not me, but hey, I'm not really a Sony type of person. Their most recent products never really caught my attention with their selection of games.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
No offense, but if you take a step back...it's not like the 360 or today's PS3 models have backwards compatibility. We don't know if the WiiU will support GC. Even before all of that...SNES didn't play NES, N64 didn't play SNES. GC didn't play N64. Really, backwards compatibility started via the PS2, carried onto the PS3 in a limited variety.

The only other two backwards compatibility "consoles" is the 3DS.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
No offense, but if you take a step back...it's not like the 360 or today's PS3 models have backwards compatibility. We don't know if the WiiU will support GC. Even before all of that...SNES didn't play NES, N64 didn't play SNES. GC didn't play N64. Really, backwards compatibility started via the PS2, carried onto the PS3 in a limited variety.

Yeah but almost all of the PS Vita news has been negative lately except for the one announcement that it'll come with a 4gb card (or was it 8?) and a free game (which only happened because it wasn't selling well in Japan).

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
At the beginning of the console's life cycle, to aid in adoption of the new console, Backward Compatibility is almost required.

How else are you going to draw customers? New software? Nope - just spent money on the new hardware.

It's been proven true for the Gameboy line starting with the GBC as well as the handheld market. It helped push units for the DS because it could play GBA games.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings

All 360s have BC built-in. IIRC, they can play about 50% of the original Xbox games. (The few good ones and some other stuff.) =/

BC is a big part of a console IMO.

At the beginning of the console's life cycle, to aid in adoption of the new console, Backward Compatibility is almost required.

How else are you going to draw customers? New software? Nope - just spent money on the new hardware.

It's been proven true for the Gameboy line starting with the GBC as well as the handheld market. It helped push units for the DS because it could play GBA games.
QFT. I sometimes play GBA games on my DSL.

And I'm willing to bet that we'll see a price drop for the PSV by the end of this year cause I don't see the PSV selling that well in NA when it's out on the 22nd. Maybe 30-40k for the first month, then things will start to damper off.

It's funny how the PSV can't play PSP games. :laugh:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think it's a bad move to not even offer discounts, but for people crying about no backwards compatibility are either new gamers, or seem to have forgotten how a lot of consoles worked in the past. That's all I'm saying. Not happy about this either, personally.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I think it's a bad move to not even offer discounts, but for people crying about no backwards compatibility are either new gamers, or seem to have forgotten how a lot of consoles worked in the past. That's all I'm saying. Not happy about this either, personally.
It was only a minor discount. IIRC, 5%/$5 cheaper than physical media. I'll stick with physical games so I can let friends borrow them and re-sell them etc.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You give me Game Boy Color and I give you Nes to Snes to N64 to GC. Sega Genesis to Saturn to Dreamcast.

Come on Zio, that's why I said, "A LOT of consoles."

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
GBC is not NEW and pri sure YOUNG GAMERS wouldn't even remember it.

That was the point I was trying to make.

I'm betting GBC started the whole thing, and it should be an industry standard now.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I know it's not "new", but that's why I reiterate my statement, "seem to have forgotten how a lot of consoles worked in the past" with GBC being the only exception.

I do agree that backwards compatibility should be a standard to a certain extent. I know for a fact that the emulation chip early PS3s had were a big reason why the thing was so expensive. I'd be content with newer consoles having backwards compatibility to one generation, but I don't expect two or three.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I just tried out the vita on gamestop yesterday. And holy crap, is it bigger than the original psp.

They had the uncharted demo but it was only movements and controls. No fighting or anything. When I reached the start screen, I had to touch either the front or back, then selected to play the game by touching the screen again. When I stared playing, I've used the analog sticks and whatever. I halfly used the touch screen on order to climb and stuff.

I didn't use the back part at all, lol. So it could be useless. But I need to check it out more often.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I just tried out the vita on gamestop yesterday. And holy crap, is it bigger than the original psp.

They had the uncharted demo but it was only movements and controls. No fighting or anything. When I reached the start screen, I had to touch either the front or back, then selected to play the game by touching the screen again. When I stared playing, I've used the analog sticks and whatever. I halfly used the touch screen on order to climb and stuff.

I didn't use the back part at all, lol. So it could be useless. But I need to check it out more often.
I'm pretty sure it's the same demo which I played here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13973840&postcount=343

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Yeah, it was uncharted: golden abyss.

To tell you what, I feel like this is going to be great for my sister since she loves playstation. :D
If they're gonna have a call of duty game coming soon, I would buy it.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Ugh, these are pretty bad IMO. =/
Whaaat, that last one was amazing.

It looks like their focusing the Vita to be about their online infrastructure. I never even considered the 3G, but that's kinda cool... portable online gaming.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
But I don't think you can truly use the 3G for gaming right? The speeds are too slow, and your limit is about 256 mb per month.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Which is why it's fairly baffling to think why Sony would include 3G.

4G is becoming an industry standard, for one, and only a matter of time before it sweeps the nation if it hasn't yet.

They did this to "Upgrade" the new iteration to 4G, I bet. Make their money now while they still can.

Top Bottom