• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing to Your Mafia Win Condition, Go For The Sole Win?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I wanted to discuss something about how people play mafia and how they view playing to their win condition, etc. Should you always aim for "first place" or is it ok to split the win with other factions?

In my opinion everyone should play so they receive their win and their win alone. They should not be fighitng for second place, they should do the best to achieve the best victory possible. More on this in the examples below.

There are two good examples of this I can cite. The first would be any game with a Jester. I actually think the Jester isn't too bad of a role and can be balanced well. Generally however everyone seems to really dislike the role, but I think it's because of how they perceive the role. When the possibility of a Jester is prevelant, even when people acknowledge the possibility of the Jester, people will still lynch him anyway. Why? Because the players say they can get him out of the way and the game continues. But why would any player knowingly lynch him to make him win the game? If you suspect someone is a Jester, then work on getting him night killed. The role is broken because of how everyone else in the game works with the role, but if the role was treated as it should be imo, it wouldn't be a problem.

The other is a bit less of an example, but comes from MXC Mafia. This occurs towards the end of the game when it's 1 scum v 1 green v 2 blue. Obviously the green team can not win on their own only having one player left, but the blue team is perfectly capable of winning the game on their own. What happened though? The blue team went along with the green team's plan fully knowingly that they would at least share the win with green. The blue team didn't make any effort to win the game on their own. The game did end on a shared win between green and blue, but in my opinion it's not as good of a win for the blue team compared to if they had won it on their own.

Thoughts on this?

M.K

Level 55
Wouldn't a Green lynch in MXC Mafia ended the game with a draw after the blue night kill, leaving Blue 1, Scum 1?

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
If town/mafia suspect a person is a Jester why would they nightkill him?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Wouldn't a Green lynch in MXC Mafia ended the game with a draw after the blue night kill, leaving Blue 1, Scum 1?
If scum had been lynched it would have been 2 blue vs 1 green so it would have been a sole blue win.

If town/mafia suspect a person is a Jester why would they nightkill him?
Well it's in the Jester's best action to try and be lynched, and not night killed. He has to act like a person that shouldn't be night killed. If a Jester is brought to end game, then he loses that way as well so if they really suspect someone is a Jester then I suppose they should aim for that.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
A Green lynch would have ended in a scum win- 1 blue vs 1 scum = scum wins.

A Scum lynch would have been a Blue win.

A Blue lynch leads to a guaranteed Scum lynch next turn, but a tie game.

They went with the latter choice.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Um... the problem is, anti-town factions like the mafia and SK will be quite glad to lynch the jester, why waste a NK on someone that you can join up with in LYLO/MYLO? As not every game even has a vig, this means that town's best option IS in fact to lynch the jester. (Which is another reason this role is completely ********.)

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
^Yeah, that.

If it's strongly suggested that a player is a Jester you basically have to sacrifice a Day to remove a guy who has been playing in such a way that he wants to be lynched. A Jester, imo, is just a free nightkill target for scum; a Jester also does an amazing job at allowing mafia to blend in and once the Day is over Town probably feels like they wasted an entire Day trying to pick up reads on a guy who wants to be read.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I expected a draw tbh.

The reason that happened was that gheb was on late and had a ridiculous misread (seriously, there was no possible way that you could not know that praxis was scum).

Though, by the time he got on, the only way to go for the win was to convince praxis to self-hammer (and don't give me any BS about it being against his wincon, he had already lost at that point because he was revealed, all that surviving that day did for him was prolong the game), however he should've attempted it. So should've riddle tbh.

But independent of that, he and riddle had to be first to the punch to actually get the sole win.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
you should do what you can to secure your win condition

if that means joint winning because it gives you a better chance to win

do it

a W is a W

if the MOD didnt want that to be a possibility, they would have designed around it.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
A win is a win.

But the rules didn't actually SAY we both won when that happened, otherwise I would've just pushed a win together from the beginning.

So it's sole win vs. draw as far as the endgame players were concerned.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
imo it should be work to make your side win and others lose
Then it's up to the mod to prevent it. I don't like joint wins either.

:059:
Agreed. Joint wins do suck, but as a mod, if that is the mods belief then the mod should as has been said, design the game such that joint wins are not possible.

As for jesters, as I said I would expand on them before, not only are they dumb because they are one of the "side win independents" that I loathe, but they provide a reason beyond the many that already exists for people to have to hesitate lynching someone who has been playing very poorly or blatantly scummy. Just having to acknowledge the thought that "oh **** he might be scummy as balls but he could be a jester and lynching him could make us lose" creates a horrendously WIFOM situation that scum can use to their advantage and just overall prevents bad play from being punished as much as it should. As if figuring out dumb vs. scum wasn't hard enough, the possibility of jesters makes it dumb/scum/jester which is just a whole new order of awful.

So yeah please, to anyone reading this, please do mafia players everywhere a favor (or maybe just me at least XP) and never use the jester role in a serious setup that you want to be balanced and entertaining.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I still think the jester is an interesting role that does have some space to use. providing players play the role appropriately and not straight up lynch someone they think might be a jester, etc

also thinking about modifying the the role a little. iv yet to see a jester not win so like, it needs to be modified.

im thinking about making them in love with a player with a certain role, so if that person dies, the jester commits suicide and loses, but if the jester dies the person he was in love with doesn't commit suicide. also he wouldnt know the name of the player he's in love with, just the role

its a step in the right direction but not perfect yet

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
that wouldnt balance jester at all actually

if anyone could do it, it would be xiivi

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Actually, if someone just claimed Jester at the start of D1, I'd lynch them. Which means they can win extremely easily.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
god if you want a jester type role that's balanced

mime [can roleblock] x2
goonx2
vigx1
watcherx1
vanillax6

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
i still think jester is a fun and legit role if its played correctly.
justers are probably just as legitimate as Rogues. XD

I'm kinda glad that I didn't make a joint win with a sk and mafia member on my Tournament Sleepover game. However...I wasn't sure how the hell I even got that result...XD

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
or

2 mafia jesters
7 town

town wins when jesters are majority
This.

This is brilliant.

EDIT: However, you'd need to adjust the win conditions. Town has to win when the numbers are EVEN.

Otherwise, 2 mafia jesters vs 2 town = mafia jester votes for himself, scummate votes for him as well, stalemate.

Also, mafia cannot have a NK ability, or they'll kill themselves.

But then you need a rule to prevent people from deliberately getting No Lynches. Say- a mafia member will die if a No Lynch happens, so town has to actively lynch to avoid getting No Lynch.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
The way I imagined 7 Town v 2 Maf jesters to run was that Jesters can NK but can't NK themselves. Town wins if the game becomes 2 town v 2 jesters or 1v1. Jesters only win if they are both lynched. Obviously the jesters can choose to not NK.

It like playing reverse mafia basically. Instead of it being pro your wincon to avoid being lynched in all situations (barring jester in a normal mafia game), it becomes pro your wincon to BE lynched regardless of alignment.

Strange but certainly very, very interesting. I'd love to try it here and I'll certainly be trying that setup IRL at some point.

EDIT: on second thought allowing the jesters to choose to not NK might be too OP for the jesters. This will require mathing out but don't feel like thinking about it atm lol

Top Bottom