• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Play your main with tap jump off.

meepxzero

Smash Master
Ice climbers are better with tap jump off. You can do full jump aerials with up and a and not lose ur second jump and its easier to tilt your shield up when metagay tornados. Surprisingly if you tilt your shield all the way up u can shield the entire tornado, something all ice climbers never throught was possible ever.

**** mks now my ice babies! :chuckle:

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
thats interesting. didn't know you could shield the whole thing by tilting the shield..... need to try that.

and don't call me an ice baby. EVER!

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
and don't call me an ice baby. EVER!
Just wait until lain sees this topic...

Anyway, I've been using tap jump off for a while. I also use Falco in matches, so having it off allows me to do his DACUS easily. But in general, I have an easier time short-hopping stuff with any character using the Y button instead of tapping the joystick up, not to mention I can effectively use U-tilts with it off.

meepxzero

Smash Master
taking tap jump off makes a huge difference. I dunno if lain plays with it on or off... I really didnt notice the difference until i had it off on one of my older names on a wii and was like why the **** did i randomly jump when i tilted it all the way up XD.

I remember trying to tilt the shield up with tap jump on and i always got shield poked, but ever since i turned it off and tilted all the way up with shield up i never got poked anymore. Only time is when the shield got really small.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I use tap jump on, but I also use x/y when I have to preform ledge spikes or want nana/popo to jump without the other jumping or preforming the wrong aerial.
I also use x/y only with peach/yoshi and sheik.

Teh Future

Smash Master
Tap jump on is never a good idea unless you want to be able to upB out of shield. Even then its dumb and imo not worth it because you can't uptilt and you jump whenever you upair.

Barge

Tap jump on is never a good idea unless you want to be able to upB out of shield. Even then its dumb and imo not worth it because you can't uptilt and you jump whenever you upair.
Thats what the c-stick is for.

You can uptilt without jumping, its called lightly pushing it up =/

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I prefer tap jump on...

I'm already used to it, so if I want to do a full hop Uair, then I'll just press Up to jump for it...

Also, you can't take jump tap off and have no tag at the same time. And I plan on removing my tag soon for mindgames... since people have trouble telling popo and nana apart when I use the blue color. :p

lain

Smash Master
I use tap jump because I jump with both X for any character's initial jumps, and then I typically use UP on the analog stick to double jump/jumpalot.

it is possible to tilt your shield for maximum (or near maximum) effect with tap jump on. anther and i both do it.

plus i just can't ****ing stand no tap jump. :p

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I usually HATE tap jump, but I'll try playing with it off today. :x

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
indeed. only some chars need their tap jump on. MK is one of them heh. DDD and IC's are well.... not. any DDD with their tap jump on, is prolly someone who relies HEAVILY on chain grabs with all of their chars

Dev2000

Smash Lord
EXACTLY Frozenpopo
Do not call us Babies EVAR!!
Anyway thats pretty intresting nice found im gonna try it on some metaknight tonight :3

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
I don't play with tap jump on since I has really no purpose for ICs, UpB out of shield is usually a bad idea everytime.

I do play with tap jump just for the fun of it :3

lain

Smash Master
indeed. only some chars need their tap jump on. MK is one of them heh. DDD and IC's are well.... not. any DDD with their tap jump on, is prolly someone who relies HEAVILY on chain grabs with all of their chars
XDDDD

DDD needs it, but IC's don't.

scrab.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
The only reason why people should turn off Tap Jump is to use the character's uptilt more easily (for Pit, it's to keep you from jumping while arrow looping). Since the Ice Climber's Uptilt is fairly situational and can only be used when you aren't in movement or sliding from a previous run, it makes it to easy to predict for someone who is falling back to the ground making easy to avoid because the Uptilt hitbox is so small.

The only reason why people should turn on Tap Jump is to use an attack that can be used after a short out of shield right after blocking an attack, like Marth's Up B. Since the Ice Climbers don't have that either, there isn't a point on doing this either.

Though having Tap Jump makes Upairs come out quicker right after a jump if you aren't good at Csticking after pressing the jump button quickly, it doesn't really matter what control input you use...

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I think that we should all switch our A and B buttons to Grab, and our L button to A and our R button to B and our Z button to shield...

But on a serious note... yeah, neither control set-up is really better than the other. It's just all a matter of preference.

Barge

I think that we should all switch our A and B buttons to Grab, and our L button to A and our R button to B and our Z button to shield...

But on a serious note... yeah, neither control set-up is really better than the other. It's just all a matter of preference.
It only really matters for some characters, such as peach, yoshi, sheik etc.
Because most of their at's require tap jump off.

Lol, though I play peach with tap jump on, I use x/y when I need to float.

meepxzero

Smash Master
The only reason why people should turn off Tap Jump is to use the character's uptilt more easily (for Pit, it's to keep you from jumping while arrow looping). Since the Ice Climber's Uptilt is fairly situational and can only be used when you aren't in movement or sliding from a previous run, it makes it to easy to predict for someone who is falling back to the ground making easy to avoid because the Uptilt hitbox is so small.

The only reason why people should turn on Tap Jump is to use an attack that can be used after a short out of shield right after blocking an attack, like Marth's Up B. Since the Ice Climbers don't have that either, there isn't a point on doing this either.

Though having Tap Jump makes Upairs come out quicker right after a jump if you aren't good at Csticking after pressing the jump button quickly, it doesn't really matter what control input you use...
did this guy miss the fact you can shield mks entire tornado with ice babies now? With tap jump off its a lot easier to do that because tilting ur shield up you have to be really sensitive with getting the max height of ur shield. If you go too high ull automatically jump and get stuck in the gaynado.

True fact i use x for grabbing instead of z and yah i dont mess up cging ever and if i do its cuz i sand bag because im winning by a lot. :psycho:

KRDsonic

Smash Master
It only really matters for some characters, such as peach, yoshi, sheik etc.
Because most of their at's require tap jump off.

Lol, though I play peach with tap jump on, I use x/y when I need to float.
Sheik doesn't need jump tap off for anything o.O I use normal controls for her because she doesn't need anything else.

Peach doesn't need it either, I think. Unless there's an AT I don't know about with her (and there probably is)

But yeah, Yoshi and ZSS need jump tap off to keep from using their 2nd jump when they use Up B. Those are the only two characters I know of that actually need it off. I think for every other character, it's just preference.

Teh Future

Smash Master
Did people really not know about tilting your shield up when being whorenado'd?

Obviously Im pro because Ive been doing that for a while lol.

I guess tap jump really is a preference thing, since it is obvious that more than a few very good players use it.

Id still argue it is easier to play with it off though lol.

Also with Yoshi, a lot of Yoshi players are actually using tap jump on now, because it allows them to wavedash like 12903120812x easier since they have to input both jumps + an aerial inhumanly fast

Barge

Sheik doesn't need jump tap off for anything o.O I use normal controls for her because she doesn't need anything else.

Peach doesn't need it either, I think. Unless there's an AT I don't know about with her (and there probably is)

But yeah, Yoshi and ZSS need jump tap off to keep from using their 2nd jump when they use Up B. Those are the only two characters I know of that actually need it off. I think for every other character, it's just preference.
Peach, I don't see how you can float and dair at the same time whilst floating with tap jump, which is why I use x/y for her.

Sheik has the cool ledge jump thingy that you can only do without tap jump. o_o

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Peach, I don't see how you can float and dair at the same time whilst floating with tap jump, which is why I use x/y for her.

Sheik has the cool ledge jump thingy that you can only do without tap jump. o_o
How can't you float and use Dair with jump tap on? Just jump, press down whenever you wanna float, and hold down and press A...

And Sheik doesn't need jump tap off to do any of her ledge techniques... I'm assuming you're talking about dropping off the edge, then using her Up B, to grab again, jump tap has no involvement in that at all...

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
did this guy miss the fact you can shield mks entire tornado with ice babies now? With tap jump off its a lot easier to do that because tilting ur shield up you have to be really sensitive with getting the max height of ur shield. If you go too high ull automatically jump and get stuck in the gaynado.

True fact i use x for grabbing instead of z and yah i dont mess up cging ever and if i do its cuz i sand bag because im winning by a lot. :psycho:
That isn't true about the tilting shield upward being the way on how to block a full Mach Tornado. A Full shield with any character (larger characters have a worse problem) will block a full tornado so tilting the shield isn't needed at all. If you are referring to a decayed shield , by tilting your shield upward, you risk having it shield break if it doesn't shield poke, which would only do a few percentage points, since directing the shield that way makes the shield have a more likely chance of enduring more hits from the mach tornado and since a decayed shield can't endure a full tornado, shield breaking is a lot more likely. It's better to take a few damage from the shield poke with a decayed shield rather than try to risk something that may break your shield and give them a free Dsmash just to get a small chance of blocking the whole thing. Since the Ice Climbers need their shield to be as full as possible since their defensive game relies mostly on the shield because rolling and spotdodging makes nana vulnerable, blocking the whole tornado with a shield just to prevent a few percent would give you trouble on blocking future attacks from MK while he is aggressively rushing at you.
Also, don't call us Ice Babies -_-

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
no tap jump sucks, it only takes away control options, which I find annoying... just get better at tilting your control stick so you don't jump.

D

Deleted member

no tap jump sucks, it only takes away control options, which I find annoying... just get better at tilting your control stick so you don't jump.
Takes away control options? So does changing the extra jump and shield buttons, but that doesn't make it a bad idea... Oh wait, changing the extra buttons doesn't make them not do anything, and if you leave TJ on, and depend solely on it, you can change both jump buttons to something else.
So TJ has more potential, only because it doesn't need a button, freeing up options to customize your controller setup.
But... I've gotten used to having it off, I find it kind of annoying, I'd never use TJ and change the jump buttons to something else, that'd be very hard for me to get used to.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Again, it doesn't matter if you have tap jump on or off because it doesn't help the Ice Climbers in any way. Tap jump is for those who can do a fast attack OoS to counter a blocked attack, something Ice Climbers don't have, while no tap jump is for those who want to utilize their uptilt (our uptilt, to be honest, sucks because it is too easy to dodge or get around even though it has insane priority because of the fact that you have to be standing still to do uptilt and because of the Ice Climber's uptilt range, it is very hard to land).

In the end, it is just preference but no matter what, none of the control changes on Tap Jump are better or worse.

Top Bottom