• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Play with Honor , Make Brawl Fun - With Some Thoughts from Mew2King

Cha0tic NiGhTmArE

Smash Journeyman
Lakeway(at least 30 minuites from anywhere), TX
You didn't. But you jumped into a conversation that was originally about banning D3's infinite (among other things). See, this is why people shouldn't read just one part of an argument and assume they know everything that came before it.

You seem reasonable and intelligent enough. Had you read what came before the post you replied to, you would've gotten the greater picture.
i have a better idea that the backroom allready did with MK..Ban certain things like that for a tournement or 2, see how things go and then the backroom votes..its the fairest its going to get.. i beleieve something should be done about a few things like D3 chaingrabs and Camping, so Experimental testing should happen in my Opinion.And for the guy up at the top talking about Elitism.. its always going to be that way in a tourney.ITS A TOURNAMENT FOR GOD SAKE! your playing to be the best there..your never going to change that no matter how many bans you make

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
You didn't. But you jumped into a conversation that was originally about banning D3's infinite (among other things). See, this is why people shouldn't read just one part of an argument and assume they know everything that came before it.

You seem reasonable and intelligent enough. Had you read what came before the post you replied to, you would've gotten the greater picture.
I'm sorry. I was just pointing out flawed parts of an argument in hopes that the discussion could be refined. I wasn't really taking a side, so I guess I should stay out of it.

Cha0tic NiGhTmArE

Smash Journeyman
Lakeway(at least 30 minuites from anywhere), TX
I'm sorry. I was just pointing out flawed parts of an argument in hopes that the discussion could be refined. I wasn't really taking a side, so I guess I should stay out of it.
yeah see thats how digussion should be people catching themselves when they might be taking sides.just stick the topic,acknowledge what hes saying, and just say what you dont agree with not that you dont agree

Tomkraven

Smash Journeyman

In fair place the one out of topic is you. Have you read the thread title? its about honor in smashing, theres no point in getting deeper in topics like : banning infinites or metagame development.

You dont need to apologize, you have the right to say whatever you want.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
Nah, that's not really true. You're misinterpeting things.

Many tournament players "play to win" because they find that more fun than just casual play. Why else would you play to win if it was less fun? It's not like we are actually making a living off this game, it's not a job that we HAVE to do or else. Perhaps the top couple of people in each area who can go to tournaments, collect their $, and leave - those people might stay in it just for the money. But everyone else - they're in it because competitive play is fun, more so than casual play. The fight for the W is quite enjoyable, and not really something you can replicate outside of a setting with money on the line or prizes at stake.
lol sorry this response to a post 2 pages back, but i haven't been on the whole day and really wanted to rebuke this.

first, i think you should read the WHOLE post, not just quoting 1 sentence and criticize it. if you read the whole post, you would see that i have also said: it is very possible to have fun while playing competitively, and many people, myself included, do. However, if you are really upset about people using their so-called "gay" tactics to try to win, then maybe competitive brawl isn't for you.
seriously guys, grow up. the world isn't "fair" or "honorable". competitions aren't "fair" or "honorable", and there is nothing you can do to change it. of course, you can still abide by your "standards" of fair play, however, don't expect your opponent to return the curtesy, especially when you are in a tourney and where winning counts.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
In fair place the one out of topic is you. Have you read the thread title? its about honor in smashing, theres no point in getting deeper in topics like : banning infinites or metagame development.
You obviously did not read what I said. Someone went off-topic. I replied to them, because it was still connected to the topic.

He replied and I replied again. Then someone jumped into the conversation having not read the 1st part of our discussion and assumed he knew everything after reading only one post and replying to it.

I never said he was off topic and was wrong for being off topic. I said he was wrong for jumping into the middle of a discussion between two people and assuming he had all the fact when he didn't.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Caution: extraneously long post. I apologize

IrArby: fox could waveshine infinate Link, and peach I believe, because he could reverse the direction he was shining them. Learn2melee =P
Why would anyone do that seeing as it does only 4-3% per shine. Its very difficult and the results don't really do much for you. Its much more useful to shine someone across the stage and try to edgeguard them. Learn2melee yourself where stage postioning and edgeguarding matter. spamming doesn't work here so much.

Moving on, there is a $hit ton of evidence to support the metagame won't increase or at least that its not currently increasing since, as I said, their are plenty of people hacking the game to increase its competitive potential. Its not that no one isn't trying to make it better but they don't have much to work with. (Yuna's thread deja vu) As far as developing new stuff I made numerous posts in Yuna's thread.
AT all deal with canceling stuff into other stuff using the ground, platforms, jumping, and the edge. You can argue about using walls and other chars but they affect it to a lesser degree. Theres only so many buttons to hit before or after those things. ATs can also cancel movements into attacks (running upsmash), vice versa (auto-canceled aerials), attacks into other attacks (boost smashing), and movments into other movements( nothing important here really that I can think of). Throw in shields and grabs and you've covered all the bases for potential actions.
Unless people want to start experimenting with the pause button I think we've pretty thoroughly canvassed all of those combinations. I'm not saying we neccisarily need new AT to advance the metagame merely new applications of existing techniques attacks w/e. Thats been pretty lacking so far aswell.

What people are trying to say by playing honorably is more along the line of Fairly. By that I mean, playing the game while disregarding those aspects at you disposal that would make the game less fair or less based on a matchup of your skill vs. thiers. Granted this is impossible. A completely fair matchup is impossible but thats what the tournament rule set strives for. Thats why we don't have items and certain stages. Slight advantages and disadvantages are good for depth as long as they can be countered managably. The honor issue comes into play because there are certain aspects that are to difficult to regulate and make rules on even though they can heavily impact one players advantage over the other. People won't play honorably if they're playing to win. I know its difficult but rules have to be made. Throw a few guys out of tournaments for questionable planking and very few people after will want to go near that level of planking. The scene will be better for it.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Iarby--you said that he couldn't use Waveshine to infinite people. ("Wow No one can infinite any char using Fox's waveshine without a wall.") I pointed out that he could. Whether or not it was useful is unimportant to the debate--a technically skilled player could infinate those characters and end it with an upsmash whenever they wanted. So don't be rude because I called you on it, just be correct in the future.

"Moving on, there is a $hit ton of evidence to support the metagame won't increase or at least that its not currently increasing since, as I said, their are plenty of people hacking the game to increase its competitive potential." That isn't evidence. That's simply because people want melee, and are changing brawl to make it closer. That has to do with wanting a more "competative" (in the viablity sense) game, nothing to do with metagame.

"I'm not saying we neccisarily need new AT to advance the metagame merely new applications of existing techniques attacks w/e. Thats been pretty lacking so far aswell."
Have any prove of that? The way I see it, people's learning how to get through the nado is advancing the metagame. People getting around planking, learning how to do more with grabs than just throwing, autocancelling aerials; all of these are making advances to the metagame--the problem is that they don't make the game like melee. Also, I know that G&W's metagame has changed, due to people getting around his b-air/ d-throw, so yeah, I'd be interested in seeing prove that the metagame isn't developing.

Regarding honor and competitiveness, I can't make it clear enough that if you don't like planking, go to/organize tournies yourself where it's banned. If people go, and find it better, they get more people. In this way it will be obvious that the competative scene prefers your ruleset, and you may be listened to. Until then though, no offense, you are sounding exactly like sirlin's definition of scrub.

Zatman

Smash Rookie
I highly believe in honor, but i can't say that this so called "honorless playing-style" is too bad either. I personally don't spam, camp or even edgehog, but that maybe the reason why i keep losing....Anyway, it is true that I get annoyed if opponent uses "honorless" methods to win, but all i need to do I find way to break opponents defense and stop that with my own hands. Easy isn't it? *sarcasm*

I also think that if you see your opponent to use "honorless" tactics first, it is ok for you to use them also. Of course in 3-stock match you don't have time to think that because if you lose stock because your opponent uses edgehogging it may be too late.

Honor is quite difficult term for me because my game-mates value kills over wins(because I always win) and "stealing" others kill is honorless (if i do it) and if I win and get most kills I am coward and kill-stealer. We play 10-stock matches btw. And if they win(yes i use plural) they are kings....Can you understand my pain?
We are 17-old for god's sake, and we play just for fun :mad: !!
(^ maybe off-topic... sorry, I just had to yell that out loud somewhere.)

aeghrur

Smash Champion
I highly believe in honor, but i can't say that this so called "honorless playing-style" is too bad either. I personally don't spam, camp or even edgehog, but that maybe the reason why i keep losing....Anyway, it is true that I get annoyed if opponent uses "honorless" methods to win, but all i need to do I find way to break opponents defense and stop that with my own hands. Easy isn't it? *sarcasm*
I don't... understand...
Wait, so your oppoents use "honorsless tactics" and you don't even EDGEHOG? Lol, no wonder you lose. But I don't understand the *sarcasm* at the end. =/

I also think that if you see your opponent to use "honorless" tactics first, it is ok for you to use them also. Of course in 3-stock match you don't have time to think that because if you lose stock because your opponent uses edgehogging it may be too late.
Wait, what? Edge-hogging is only to make sure you get the kill or gimp and your opponent doesn't grab the ledge so falls to his/her doom. Why would that make it too late for you? I mean, you can still come back from a gimp... and you can CERTAINLY come back from a simple kill/10-20% disadvantage.

Honor is quite difficult term for me because my game-mates value kills over wins(because I always win) and "stealing" others kill is honorless (if i do it) and if I win and get most kills I am coward and kill-stealer. We play 10-stock matches btw. And if they win(yes i use plural) they are kings....Can you understand my pain?
We are 17-old for god's sake, and we play just for fun :mad: !!
(^ maybe off-topic... sorry, I just had to yell that out loud somewhere.)
Didn't you just say you used "honor: and you always lost because you didn't use "honorless" tactics? Your a coward and kill-stealer? Wtf, lol, tell your friends to suck it up and play a game. 10-stock match? Wow... wow... okay... loss of credibility right there. Kings? Lmao, no, they're not kings, they won at a game, okay? That's not being a king. And play for fun? only for fun? Lmao. Time to scrub, scrub, scrub.

:093:

IrArby

Smash Ace
St. Viers: Point taken. An amazing Fox could technically waveshine infinte Link/Peach. Still the more relevant point remains that its not a broken infinite. It doesn't accomplish much at all and how broken and unfair the attack/technique w/e is what counts here. Fox's waveshine infinite on Link and Peach isn't broken thus not even close to ban worthy. The fact that its in SuperDoodleMan's vid of almost impossible stuff should be proof enough that its a ridiculously difficult tech to do consitently so drop it.

To your second point it would seem that you're creating a dichotomy between a well-developed/developing metagame and competitiveness as if the two don't go hand in hand. Uh yea they do.
Also, if all people wanted was Melee than they'd just play Melee. They want more from Brawl or they wouldn't work at it. Auto-canceling aerials has been around for a while now (honestly its far from game breaking since the nearly non-existent shieldstun will let you grab/jab people after an aeiral regardless). Getting around planking is only working against certain chars using certain chars. Ofcourse the metagame won't go completely stagnant.

Lastly, this thread is designed to discuss those issues regarding playing with honor and what to do about players who don't bla bla bla so sorry if I voiced my ideas here. Oh wait thats the point. Discussion, listening to other people's ideas is supposed to be done here. No need for me to set up experimental tournys we can talk about it here. Honestly, I'm not pushing for a play honorably kinda thing. Theres reasons we banned certain things its to keep play reasonably fair. Competition and inherent imbalances between chars are good. Blatant one-sidedness has been and will be banned in the future. Planking with some chars falls under this category. All I said is ban planking. M2K said the same thing. Are you calling him a scrub too?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why is this thread even alive? Alive is an illusion when it comes to Competitive fighting games.

When was the last time you saw someone "play with honor" in a major finals match?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Iarby:

re: first point--kkz, subject dropped ^_^

re second point--They do not go hand in hand. Even if Brawl weren't done developing it's metgame (remember, I simply saying that we can't determine one way or the other, so please tone down the hostility), that doesn't mean it makes the game more "competative." You bashed my example of metagame development (Auto-cancelled aerials), but that just proves my point--that discovery advanced the metagame ]without making the game more competative. Although ideally the two are related, that isn't neccessarily the case.

re: your last paragraph--Was that directed at me? If so, it was a petty exercise in sarcastic rhetoric that fails because I never said nor implied that your opinions didn't belong here.

IrArby

Smash Ace
St. Vers: As with the first point, relavancy is the key. Fox's infinite is possible and auto-canceled aerials do advance the metagame. You gave that to me as an example of advancing the metagame however it doesn't really (not bashing merely refuting). Yes I proved an irrelevant point but you also proved my point saying "ideally the two are related". Truly, autocanceled aerials aren't a huge impact to advancing the metagame and thus it doesn't yeild anything more in depth or competitive. The two correspond proportionally. When the metagame isn't being well developed (as side note I earlier said a well-developed metagame not a insignificant increase to the metagame) the competitivness doesn't grow either. When metagame increase is small (auto-canceled aeirals) competitve potential increase is also small. They go hand in hand.

Lastly, to an extent, your eariler post was stating that I should organize or go to tourneys using my ideas in their ruleset. Sort of a "If you want it to happen do it yourself." My opinions on planking "may be listened to" under these conditions alone, or so your post implied. I merely pointed out that this was the purpose of this thread and my saying lets ban planking by no means makes me a scrub.

Not trying to come off hostile here its just personally very easy to get worked up in a debate about something we all care about. Also, I purposefully spelled your name wrong since you have yet to spell my correctly. Childish? Yes. Stupidly satisfying? Yes again.

IrArby

Smash Ace
To clarify its I r Arby. Sorta like I r baboon if anyone remembers that show. I am Arby but IrArby looks cooler. Now you know dat.

z5kaento5z

Smash Cadet
If all your opponent does is ledgestall, walk over to the other side of the stage, set your controller down, and get everyone in the room to laugh at your opponent. He will stop ledgestalling. Believe Me.
Lasers and gyro say hi.
Yes, I'm late.

Very late.

NeoCrono

Smash Ace
The only reason teams in professional sports don't stall or try cheap tactics is because THEY DON'T WORK in pro sports. The reason fouling doesn't happen until the end of the game is because players can't play if they foul more than a certain number of times. The reason they don't stall is because there is a shot clock, and because the other team will steal it eventually and get an easy score.

Cheap tactics don't work in sports. If they did, they would be used. Anyone remember the defensive hockey player that faceguarded the opposing goalie? It worked somewhat, until it was BANNED. That's right, they made a a rule against it because it hurt the game. SBR needs to step up and do the same for Brawl if it's such a huge problem. Players shouldn't have to choose between playing with honor and playing to win.
They used to work, and your right about them banning them. Lowest scoring NBA game before the shot clock was 18 to 19 lol.

Bluebottel

Smash Cadet
Why is this thread even alive? Alive is an illusion when it comes to Competitive fighting games.

When was the last time you saw someone "play with honor" in a major finals match?
What pages are your comments on Yuna? I want to see the **** unfolding from the beginning >]

Oh and btw... i ask myself that everytime i see this thread.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
What pages are your comments on Yuna? I want to see the **** unfolding from the beginning >]

Oh and btw... i ask myself that everytime i see this thread.
I posted my first posts in this thread very early on in its lifespan. That's all I remember, really.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I really don't care about honor in this competition. My problem with Planking is that it abuses the time rule. Whether it's too good or not doesn't matter imo - it's cheating either way.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Wow, this topic does not need to be alive still. No one is convincing anyone at this point, it's just post spam.

Top Bottom