• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Platinum Competitive Discussion. *SPOILERS*

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
As with anyone who has already read all the spoilers should know, Platinum has some new features that can change competitive play, but for those who do not wish to know these spoilers, I will spam the little post bit that you can see when you hover the mouse over the thread title so that one has an unability to see it. And if you're reading it from the thread title and wondering if I'll get to the point before you click on this blah blah blah, yada yada yada.

OK moving on, as we should all already know(because you clicked this with the acknowledgement of spoilers), new formes, level up moves for certain pokemon(Caterpie), and move tutors have been introduced into the metagame. This thread is for discussion on how it will change it. A link to move tutors is right here: Spoiler.
Some new pokemon/move combos can drastically affect which tier they're in i.e. Slaking with sucker punch.
Others improve the usefulness of a Pokemon already OU. i.e. Tentacruel with Rapid Spin + Knock Off.
Caterpie and other bug types get bug bite via level up so that expands their physical game.
Skymin has 127 speed, 120 sp. atk, serene grace, and air slash so it's going to ubers.
I do realize real Pokemon battling websites(smogon) should be handling this, but I'm wondering what we can come up with.

A_man13

Smash Master
I can tell that the meta game is gonna get shook up.
I noticed a ton of special sweepers gained earth power as a substitute to EQ, tons of pokes get outrage, electric and steel gets magnet rise, Flying and fire get heat wave, rattata can learn endevor directly,etc.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Hey guys! I'm posting in this thread to be cool.

And also because I don't even know what jiggs8 was talking about in the OP. Could somebody explain, please?

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
This is going to be really big. We have to actually debate each and every new "viable" tier for Pokemon. It'll be troublesome, but at least some weaker people are getting a boost. We'll see a lot more different Movesets and Pokemon come around Platinum. The moves that can be taught are, for the most part, good. I can't wait for a new meta-game..I think it needs it to be honest.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Caterpie
can learn something besides Tackle and String Shot
?!?!

...Okay, who divided by zero?

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Yeah, things are big now.
Rhyperior can learn AQUA TAIL! He also got Ice Punch as an upgrade to Ice Fang..maybe we might be able to bring Garchomp back if a lot of people are like this. . .or, maybe their should be a tier place for Pokemon known as "Soft-banned". Garchomp would fit well in that, and Wobbufet.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
We need a new meta-game, so I really appreciate what they did with the move tutors. Sure, some Pokemon got the flop, but I am postitive we're going to see different kinds of Pokemon. I really like what they did with Platinum. They went over the top and just put in a lot of features that actually make it worth Re-buying. I can't wait for the Battle Factory/Frontier/etc.
Click!

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Hay guys! I'm gonna post in spoiler just like everyone else so I can be popular! On a more serious note, I think that elemental punching Weavile will break the game. The tiers, they are gonna be a changin'. I'm pretty sure there aren't going to be any stat changes, just moveset. Any new items we should be worried about?

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Magnet rising, Outraging Bastiodon!!11!!!
Finally. He's just got to put the fighting reducing berry on now!
Ahem...*cough*
-Outraging CursePert For the win?
-Outraging Torterra
-Aqua Tailing Rhyperior/Gliscor
-Seed Bombing Donphan!?
I could go on and on. Platinum is epic. It is by far going to be the best Pokemon to date.

@ORLy:
Yeah. I don't want Weavile banned as well though..he replaced my Garchomp and I don't want another replacement. I think we have to only put Pokemon into "Uber" if they absolutely have to be. If it's a 50/50 decision(or very close to it), just make a "Soft-Ban" tier for Pokemon like I said.

The Postman

Smash Rookie
Hay guys! I'm gonna post in spoiler just like everyone else so I can be popular! On a more serious note, I think that elemental punching Weavile will break the game. The tiers, they are gonna be a changin'. I'm pretty sure there aren't going to be any stat changes, just moveset. Any new items we should be worried about?
What is Weavile gonna do?
It still gets walled by the metagame...

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Naw the alternate Rotom forms are probably going to be BL, with a slight chance of OU.

Weavile+SD+Massive coverage=Stronger than Garchomp. It's not as durable, but hey... we have items for that. In d/p, Weavile didn't have that much coverage.

@ jigglyppuff8: Aw, are you serious? I would actually be happy if my favorite Pokemon became broken...

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
Forme Rotom isn't exactly Spiritomb. Forme Rotom does not have no weaknesses(Double negative lol), lacks a "recovery" move(Spiritomb has Pain Split), and it doesn't get many more moves than it did in DP. Giving Forme Rotom that much potential isn't going to happen any time soon.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Now presenting the Widecroak!!

Toxicroak @ Wide Lens
Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/6 Hp
Jolly Nature
-Stone Edge
-Gunk Shot
-Cross Chop
-Suker Punch

STAB Gunk Shots hurt.

Wow, the metagame is going to be flipped right 'round. I need to find more uses for my froggy.

EDIT: HOLY ****MONKEYS RAMPARDOS GOT SOME ELEMENTAL PUNCHES! IN YOUR FACE, GYARA, CHOMP AND MENCE!

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Now presenting the Widecroak!!

Toxicroak @ Wide Lens
Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/6 Hp
Jolly Nature
-Stone Edge
-Gunk Shot
-Cross Chop
-Suker Punch

STAB Gunk Shots hurt.

Wow, the metagame is going to be flipped right 'round. I need to find more uses for my froggy.

EDIT: HOLY ****MONKEYS RAMPARDOS GOT SOME ELEMENTAL PUNCHES! IN YOUR FACE, GYARA, CHOMP AND MENCE!
I don't know much about damage calculations and stuff (i know what STAB is) and HOLY CRAP, I might consider crogunk this time
yay rampardos got elemental punches
*bad idea* maybe they should make elemental headbutts?

Top Bottom