• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Platform Fighter Exploration Thread: Round 117: General RAAM

GolisoPower

Smash Master
A card-based fighter sounds like an interesting premise! It is kind of a surprise how we have so many JRPG characters and not someone repping that sub-genre...

Any thoughts on how they'd balance repping all of the different Fate/ series?
I guess F/GO in and of itself is practically Super Fate Brothers, taking characters from all Fate media and putting them into one big package while throwing in its own characters. You have the original Fate/Stay Night cast, you have the myriad Servants from Fate/EXTRA, you even have characters from light novels like Apocrypha and Zero!

So I think if we're getting Fate in Smash, it'd have to represent the entirety of Fate.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
any reason why?
I...just explained. F/GO is basically the Fate equivalent of Smash Bros and so if Mash was gonna be in Smash, it should have to take Spirits from all over the series, just like her game of origin. So we'd have, for example, a Spirit of Archer and Berserker from Stay night, some Spirits of BB and Nero from EXTRA, Spirits of Mordred, Karna and Gilles from the light novels, Spirits of Waver and Gray from the Lord El-Melloi Case Files, Spirits of Illya, Chloe and Miyu from Prisma Illya, and Spirits of First Hassan, Arash and Jeanne d'Arc Alter from FGO proper.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I...just explained. F/GO is basically the Fate equivalent of Smash Bros and so if Mash was gonna be in Smash, it should have to take Spirits from all over the series, just like her game of origin. So we'd have, for example, a Spirit of Archer and Berserker from Stay night, some Spirits of BB and Nero from EXTRA, Spirits of Mordred, Karna and Gilles from the light novels, Spirits of Waver and Gray from the Lord El-Melloi Case Files, Spirits of Illya, Chloe and Miyu from Prisma Illya, and Spirits of First Hassan, Arash and Jeanne d'Arc Alter from FGO proper.
alright so the two things didnt seem connected when i read it

amageish

Smash Master
Day over! Here's the noms...

50-75 noms
Kiryu Kazuma - x110
Azura - x105
Max (Shining Force) - x100
Ahri - x85
Alphen and/or Shionne - x85
Taliyah - x85
BJ Blazkowicz - x75
Jack Frost - x75

Bubsy - x70
Stella (Spiritfarer) - x70
Chell - x67
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
2B - x60
Opa-Opa - x55

26-50 noms
Rango (NASB) - x50
Jason Frudnick - x45
Jonesy - x37
Raziel (Soul Reaver) - x35
Trauma Center Content - x32
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
King Harkinian - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Carl Johnson - x25
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Daitoryo - x25
Clockman (NASB) - x20
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Spyro the Dragon - x18
Darkest Dungeon Content - x16
General RAAM - x15
Ezio - x15
Gunvolt - x15

5-10 noms
Pauline - x10
Lobotomy Corporation/Library of Ruina Content - x7
Jack (Final Fantasy Origin) - x5
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Ahri - x5
Tracer - x3

Next up on the block is another Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl discussion, this time rounding out the Avatar representation by adding a rep for the missing nation, the Fire Nation. And, when it comes to Fire Nation, who is a better representive then one of the most famous characters in the series, Zuk-

I mean, Rangi. Not a character from either Avatar TV series... a character inclusive to the Kyoshi novels (and also soon to be a character in the Avatar TTRPG).

coughs

Yeah, uh, this is a weird one. I also nominated it, so I will end this Round quickly as it is kind of a purposefully absurd pick on my end....

As we're talking about a book duology that currently has no official adaptations into other media, there isn't really any music to speak of... So here's a fanmade suite inspired by the first novel!

amageish

Smash Master
I legitimately have no clue what to be put my noms in yet. XD

Tell me more about this character, please. I like the design already~
Totally understandable haha. There's a lot of options, especially with all the random platform fighters being announced nowadays...

Sure! Rangi is a fire-bender who, at the beginning of the novel, serves as the Bodyguard of the definitely-the-real-avatar Yun, as well as a friend to the random-handmaiden-no-follow-up-questions-here Kyoshi. As the story continues, she becomes the bodyguard, fire-bending-teacher, and girlfriend of Kyoshi, being a serious straight-laced tradition-obsessed foil to Kyoshi's more rogue and manic approach to being the avatar.

Like the rest of Kyoshi's team avatar, her skills and unique fighting methods later become signature skills of the Kyoshi Warriors by the time of the original series. She is also one of the only fire-benders who can create coloured fire, alongside Zuko and Azula.

In terms of NASB... There is basically no reason not to put Zuko in over her, but she is easily the breakout star of the Kyoshi novels and would probably be a better rep of that era of Avatar then Kyoshi herself, as her moves are actually translatable to a fighting game context while Kyoshi's skillset is that she's very gifted at giant geography-altering bending techniques and not as good at smaller detailed bending... We probably can't have a character whose powers are "Breaking the entire stage in two" in the game...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I watched Avatar and Korra but I haven’t read the novels so I’m not familiar with Rangi. She does look pretty cool and seems really interesting based on what’s been shared so far.

amageish

Smash Master
Glad people seem into Rangi overall! The Kyoshi novels are generally worth reading, I think; they're both good on their own terms and are now being treated on equal footing with the two animated series in stuff like the TTRPG... If we do get a full-on Avatar fighter one day, I'd expect there to be at least a few fighters from it in the game...

Though it being treated akin to the animated series people now has resulted in some weird scenarios. Like, take a look at her page in this calendar!

Doesn't this... look like a threat? As the actual context of this quote is Rangi's confession to Kyoshi, telling her that "The Avatar can be reborn. But you can't, Kyoshi." as part of a "I am love with you; PLEASE DON'T GET YOURSELF KILLED, YOU STUPID IDIOT!!!!" speech. Which, y'know... Isn't conveyed by the image/quote choice!

Anyway, I'll give this day another 24 hours or so for anyone else wanting to put their noms in to do that...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Was this really necessary? If you don’t have anything constructive to say, don’t say anything at all. Just posting to say you don’t like the character is rude. You seem to do that quite often.
where did i say i didnt like her? theres a difference between not getting into something and out right disliking it. all i did was disagree and youre acting as if i told amageish to go **** themselves

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
where did i say i didnt like her? theres a difference between not getting into something and out right disliking it. all i did was disagree and youre acting as if i told amageish to go **** themselves
It’s just that you often make posts shutting down other peoples characters. Just saying you’re not interested in them doesn’t contribute anything to the conversation. Even if you’re not, try to word things in a way that doesn’t shut down discussion. The way you phrase your responses really gives me the impression that you basically are doing just that. It makes it difficult to want to engage in conversation if you’re always so dismissive of everyone else. I apologize if that’s not your intention but please try to be more considerate moving forward.

Here’s a suggestion, feel free to take it or leave it. If a character is currently being discussed you have no interest in, I would recommend doing one of two things. The first option is don’t post anything at all. The second is to say something like “I don’t really know much about this character so I don’t have much to contribute” and just post your nominations for your next character. Just try to be respectful and keep in mind that other people might be excited to talk about their characters. Short responses like “I’m not” and “Nope” just come off as rude.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Rangi seems cool but I don't know anything about her other than what has been posted here (Which is some really good stuff Amageish).

Noms: B.J Blazkowicz x10

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It’s just that you often make posts shutting down other peoples characters. Just saying you’re not interested in them doesn’t contribute anything to the conversation. Even if you’re not, try to word things in a way that doesn’t shut down discussion. The way you phrase your responses really gives me the impression that you basically are doing just that. It makes it difficult to want to engage in conversation if you’re always so dismissive of everyone else. I apologize if that’s not your intention but please try to be more considerate moving forward.

Here’s a suggestion, feel free to take it or leave it. If a character is currently being discussed you have no interest in, I would recommend doing one of two things. The first option is don’t post anything at all. The second is to say something like “I don’t really know much about this character so I don’t have much to contribute” and just post your nominations for your next character. Just try to be respectful and keep in mind that other people might be excited to talk about their characters. Short responses like “I’m not” and “Nope” just come off as rude.
I’m sorry what? Since when has saying that you’re not getting into a character or disagreeing that something sounds like a threat count as shutting down a conversation? If anything it could stimulate a conversation by asking follow up questions “what isn’t this character interest you?” or “why doesn’t that sound like a threat?” To answer that second cause it doesn’t even mention the word glass. That one’s a cultural thing. Or potentially just ignore it all together rather than just policing the place by basically saying “if you don’t agree with everyone else the shut your fat gob” you’re telling me to word things properly but the rest of your text dump makes it sound like you have a problem with me rather than what I said and made a huge assumption. If anything you’re trying to shut down the conversation cause you’re coming across as irate over someone who doesn’t like a character that you like. If you can’t have a conversation with someone over why they disagree with your opinions and ask questions like why do think that then perhaps you’re not actually wanting a conversation but rather an array of people agreeing with you. So excuse me for expressing the opinions that I’m not being sold on a character from little I’ve told about her by her fans who have just been saying how great she is or for coming from a country where all the threats are significantly more graphic.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m sorry what? Since when has saying that you’re not getting into a character or disagreeing that something sounds like a threat count as shutting down a conversation? If anything it could stimulate a conversation by asking follow up questions “what isn’t this character interest you?” or “why doesn’t that sound like a threat?” To answer that second cause it doesn’t even mention the word glass. That one’s a cultural thing. Or potentially just ignore it all together rather than just policing the place by basically saying “if you don’t agree with everyone else the shut your fat gob” you’re telling me to word things properly but the rest of your text dump makes it sound like you have a problem with me rather than what I said and made a huge assumption. If anything you’re trying to shut down the conversation cause you’re coming across as irate over someone who doesn’t like a character that you like. If you can’t have a conversation with someone over why they disagree with your opinions and ask questions like why do think that then perhaps you’re not actually wanting a conversation but rather an array of people agreeing with you. So excuse me for expressing the opinions that I’m not being sold on a character from little I’ve told about her by her fans who have just been saying how great she is or for coming from a country where all the threats are significantly more graphic.
Whatever, I tried explaining myself respectfully with you but if this is how you’re going to react, it’s not worth it. Let’s just agree to disagree and drop the conversation.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Whatever, I tried explaining myself respectfully with you but if this is how you’re going to react, it’s not worth it. Let’s just agree to disagree and drop the conversation.
did you actually read what I’d written? I will not agree to disagree with some person who decides I have a problem cause of an incredibly neutral statement

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
did you actually read what I’d written? I will not agree to disagree with some person who decides I have a problem cause of an incredibly neutral statement
Yes I did. All I was trying to say in the first place is to try to stop and consider how what you say might make people feel before you post. I wasn’t trying to attack you or anything, just trying to bring to your attention that your phrasing can be hurtful sometimes. I’m sure you didn’t intend any disrespect which is why I just tried to bring that to your attention respectfully.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yes I did. All I was trying to say in the first place is to try to stop and consider how what you say might make people feel before you post. I wasn’t trying to attack you or anything, just trying to bring to your attention that your phrasing can be hurtful sometimes. I’m sure you didn’t intend any disrespect which is why I just tried to bring that to your attention respectfully.
respeatfully? You told me if you don’t have anything nice to say then don’t say anything at all a phrase used to mean stop being a prat. And here’s the thing I did consider what I was saying and came to the conclusion who on earth would be upset from me simply disagreeing with them. So from where I’m sitting it looks like you’re policing me for having a different opinion. How could anyone be hurt by that

Gengar84

Smash Hero
respeatfully? You told me if you don’t have anything nice to say then don’t say anything at all a phrase used to mean stop being a prat. And here’s the thing I did consider what I was saying and came to the conclusion who on earth would be upset from me simply disagreeing with them. So from where I’m sitting it looks like you’re policing me for having a different opinion. How could anyone be hurt by that
Alright, let me ask you a question then. What compelled you to respond telling amageish that you’re not interested in their character? What meaningful point did that contribute to the conversation? This isn’t just a one time occurrence. You have done this with almost every character discussed lately.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Alright, let me ask you a question then. What compelled you to respond telling amageish that you’re not interested in their character? What meaningful point did that contribute to the conversation? This isn’t just a one time occurrence. You have done this with almost every character discussed lately.
a little thing called voicing an opinion you know the entire purpose of an Internet forum? I even gave you some examples of how the conversation could have gone. Do you not think it’s possible to have a civilised conversation with differing opinions? What would it have contributed to the conversation is I just agreed with everything. All I did was disagree with the notion that everyone in the thread was getting into the character? Why is that a problem? I told you how it could have turned into conversation but you didn’t seem to register that fact. In short if The response was why not to what I said I probably would have said that I would need more details to be sold on a character perhaps giving people a chance to go into more detail. I could have easily done so you just didn’t give it a chance

Gengar84

Smash Hero
a little thing called voicing an opinion you know the entire purpose of an Internet forum? I even gave you some examples of how the conversation could have gone. Do you not think it’s possible to have a civilised conversation with differing opinions? What would it have contributed to the conversation is I just agreed with everything. All I did was disagree with the notion that everyone in the thread was getting into the character? Why is that a problem? I told you how it could have turned into conversation but you didn’t seem to register that fact. In short if The response was why not to what I said I probably would have said that I would need more details to be sold on a character perhaps giving people a chance to go into more detail. I could have easily done so you just didn’t give it a chance
Okay, I’ll concede that fact that it theoretically could have led to some kind of discussion. I don’t have any issue with people having different opinions online. I certainly haven’t liked every character brought up so far either. I’m sorry if it seems like I’m attacking you personally, I’m just a bit agitated right now. Maybe it would be a good idea to offer some talking points yourself instead of just saying you don’t care about a character. Asking a question always helps kick things off.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Okay, I’ll concede that fact that it theoretically could have led to some kind of discussion. I don’t have any issue with people having different opinions online. I certainly haven’t liked every character brought up so far either. I’m sorry if it seems like I’m attacking you personally, I’m just a bit agitated right now. Maybe it would be a good idea to offer some talking points yourself instead of just saying you don’t care about a character. Asking a question always helps kick things off.
right ok then. Tell me why this character is so compelling? What kind of story arch does she have? What are motivations?

and don’t forget to spoiler box your answers

Gengar84

Smash Hero
right ok then. Tell me why this character is so compelling? What kind of story arch does she have? What are motivations?

and don’t forget to spoiler box your answers
Unfortunately, I personally don’t know anything about Rangi other than what amageish has shared with us. I’ve seen the Avatar cartoon but this character is from the novels, which I’ve never read. Those are all great questions though and just what I was talking about for inspiring conversation. I’m interested to hear more as well when amageish gets back.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Let's call this good enough and end the day now...

50-75 noms
Azura - x110
Kiryu Kazuma - x110
Max (Shining Force) - x100
Ahri - x85
Alphen and/or Shionne - x85
BJ Blazkowicz - x85
Taliyah - x85

Stella (Spiritfarer) - x80
Jack Frost - x75
Rango (NASB) - x75
Bubsy - x70
Chell - x67
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
2B - x60
Opa-Opa - x55

26-50 noms
Jason Frudnick - x45
Jonesy - x37
Raziel (Soul Reaver) - x35
Trauma Center Content - x32
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
King Harkinian - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Carl Johnson - x25
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Daitoryo - x25
Clockman (NASB) - x20
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Spyro the Dragon - x18
Darkest Dungeon Content - x16
General RAAM - x15
Ezio - x15
Gunvolt - x15

5-10 noms
Pauline - x10
Lobotomy Corporation/Library of Ruina Content - x7
Jack (Final Fantasy Origin) - x5
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Ahri - x5
Tracer - x3

Commander_Alph - x20
Dan Quixote Dan Quixote - x20
Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth - x20
fogbadge fogbadge - x10
cashregister9 cashregister9 - x10
Schnee117 Schnee117 - x10

For White Frost and others who may still be deciding who to nominate, I'll just keep adding nominations into your pile until they're used!

I'm also going to stop nominating things myself for a bit, as I tend to end up posting a lot here anyway and don't need to, like, reward myself for it lol.

Next up is the SEGA classic, Vectorman. Another one of SEGA's classic-but-long-dormant IPs...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I just want to start off by saying that I’ve always thought Vectorman had a really cool and unique design. Despite never owning a Genesis, I was always interested in the character and played a bit of his game over a neighbor’s house as a kid. From what I remember, he has a really unique skill set that would really lend itself to a game like Smash. Since I don’t really remember specifics, would anyone mind elaborating on how Vectorman would play in Smash?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
It's now time to discuss the orb chad. I was one of the people nominating him so I'll tell you all about him.

Vectorman is a being made out of orbs. The story goes is that in the Vectorman universe, humanity has polluted the Earth to the point where everyone jumped ship to another planet and they built robots to clean up the planet. But then one of the robots attaches itself to a nuclear warhead, goes insane, and enslaves all the other robots. Vectorman, who was on a mission in space during this whole event, comes back and vows to bring an end to the tyrant's reign.

Vectorman's main mechanic is his orb cannon which he can shoot in 8 directions with. But what would make him really stand out are his power ups. He can turn into a rhino, tank, among other things and even a bomb. So he would basically be a shapeshifting Mega Man.

He also has some bangers too:

I would highly recommend trying out his games. They are available on multiple Genesis collections and they are some of my favorite Genesis games. They are run n gun games as you probably guessed.

Edit: I just realized amageish amageish already posted a lot of the music. Forgot about that.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Vectorman is easily top3 Sega characters for me.

Can't add much to what it's already been said, but I like him as a character and how the game works.

The soundtrack does a great job in providing a gritty-futuristic atmosphere.
It's one of my inspirational games.

In the second one, I really like how his double jump causes damage with the shoe thrusters.

Also there's a bunch of items that work as multipliers for damage (and i think score).
But yeah overall he's super unique, has great design, and love how he's got an attitude despite being a robot.

I was sad he didn't make it to SEGA Heroes or Racing Transformed, but hopefully next big Sega crossover includes him.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Vectorman is a being made out of orbs. The story goes is that in the Vectorman universe, humanity has polluted the Earth to the point where everyone jumped ship to another planet and they built robots to clean up the planet. But then one of the robots attaches itself to a nuclear warhead, goes insane, and enslaves all the other robots.
hang on, is wall-e a homage?

Top Bottom