• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Platform Fighter Exploration Thread: Round 117: General RAAM

amageish

Smash Master
Vectorman's an interesting character to me. His design of being a bunch of spheres assembled into a robot-dude shape has always kind of lingered in my mind and I'm really curious how a modern Vectorman would end up looking - does he get cell-shaded cartoon-y look, a sharp-colours comic-book-y look, a shiny realistic look, etc? I'm definitely curious about it... If they made a SEGA Smash or a SEGA Party or what-have-you, I'd definitely want to see him make a comeback!

I'll end this day in ~24 hours if you want to get some last-minute thoughts/noms out!

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Vectorman's an interesting character to me. His design of being a bunch of spheres assembled into a robot-dude shape has always kind of lingered in my mind and I'm really curious how a modern Vectorman would end up looking - does he get cell-shaded cartoon-y look, a sharp-colours comic-book-y look, a shiny realistic look, etc? I'm definitely curious about it... If they made a SEGA Smash or a SEGA Party or what-have-you, I'd definitely want to see him make a comeback!

I'll end this day in ~24 hours if you want to get some last-minute thoughts/noms out!
That is a good question! Unfortunately Vectorman hasn't made any new appearances in three decades. So what kind of look he would have is up in the air. If he returned, I'd wager he'd probably have a realistic look but it could go in any direction. The closest we have is some alpha footage of Vectorman 3 which never came out. But even then this is a alpha, so it's not a finalized look.

BTW I'm gonna go on a little tangent here. yes Vectorman uses an actual gun in this demo which I don't like. He is supposed to have an orb cannon built into his arm and he doesn't use explosives, he is the explosive. So it looks like the devs for this game missed the point of Vectorman.

amageish

Smash Master
That is a good question! Unfortunately Vectorman hasn't made any new appearances in three decades. So what kind of look he would have is up in the air. If he returned, I'd wager he'd probably have a realistic look but it could go in any direction. The closest we have is some alpha footage of Vectorman 3 which never came out. But even then this is a alpha, so it's not a finalized look.

BTW I'm gonna go on a little tangent here. yes Vectorman uses an actual gun in this demo which I don't like. He is supposed to have an orb cannon built into his arm and he doesn't use explosives, he is the explosive. So it looks like the devs for this game missed the point of Vectorman.
Geez. Uh. I do not love that look! Way to take a colourful Genesis game character/concept and make it into another same-y grey-and-brown gun warfare game... I guess they deserve some credit for considering such a weird reboot before the Xbox/PS3-era where grey-and-brown gritty reboots were at their peak, but I also don't know if that's a trend you want to have predated lol.

This is a bit of a cliche take, but it sucks how much SEGA sits on their IPs nowadays. I love a lot of the games SEGA does greenlight, but it'd be nice if they used the full depths of their IPs... I'll even take more stuff like the Shining Force mobile game project; please just give us content!!!

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
This is a bit of a cliche take, but it sucks how much SEGA sits on their IPs nowadays. I love a lot of the games SEGA does greenlight, but it'd be nice if they used the full depths of their IPs... I'll even take more stuff like the Shining Force mobile game project; please just give us content!!!
Yeah I agree. While they have brought back some stuff like Streets of Rage in recent years they are still sleeping on Vectorman, Golden Axe, Ristar, Altered Beast, and others. They have such a rich library (In fact I'm going to say it, I think I prefer the Genesis' library over the SNES').

amageish

Smash Master
Day over! Here's the next set of characters ready for exploration.

Round 100: Azura - x115
Round 101: Kiryu Kazuma - x110
Round 102: Max (Shining Force) - x100
Round 103: Alphen and/or Shionne - x95
Round 104: Ahri - x90
Round 105: Stella (Spiritfarer) - x90
Round 106: BJ Blazkowicz - x85
Round 107: Rango (NASB) - x85
Round 108: Taliyah - x85

If anyone is wondering what happened with Ahri moving up slightly: I, uh, had her on twice on The Noms List and didn't catch it until now... Whoops!

50-75 noms
Jack Frost - x75
Bubsy - x70
Chell - x67
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
2B - x60
Opa-Opa - x55

26-50 noms
Jonesy - x47
Jason Frudnick - x45
Raziel (Soul Reaver) - x35
Trauma Center Content - x32
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
King Harkinian - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Carl Johnson - x25
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Daitoryo - x25
Clockman (NASB) - x20
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Spyro the Dragon - x18
Darkest Dungeon Content - x16
General RAAM - x15
Ezio - x15
Gunvolt - x15

5-10 noms
Pauline - x10
Lobotomy Corporation/Library of Ruina Content - x7
Jack (Final Fantasy Origin) - x5
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Tracer - x3

Commander_Alph - x20
Dan Quixote Dan Quixote - x20
Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth - x20
Schnee117 Schnee117 - x10
DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 - x30
shinhed-echi shinhed-echi - x20
fogbadge fogbadge - x10
Gengar84 Gengar84 - x20

And, for Round 100, we return to the world of Fire Emblem with Fire Emblem Fates' Princess Azura! Just in time for the people buying Revelations in prepration for the eShop going down... I know the game is contentious, but it's hard to argue it won't be incomplete without one of the three routes being accessible to new players...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
oh that azura, alright i can contribute. also need to think of a new character to nom, ill be back later

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I know I said I was gonna post a full thing, but I actually made a thread for this a while back, so imma just quote it
Hi, I've been wanting to make this topic for a while.

It's...no secret that Corrin's garnered a lot of hate when he/she was revealed for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS / Wii U back in December 2015 as one of the last two DLC fighters. In turn, this caused a lot of hate towards Fire Emblem characters in Smash in general (especially when Byleth was the last character of Ultimate's Fighters Pass Vol. 1, but that's another story).

Bottom line; Corrin is, at the very least, mostly unique from other FE characters with their moveset. But I've been wondering something for a while...what if Azura, another important character in Fates, was the rep for that game instead of Corrin? Azura is currently a Spirit in Ultimate, but this topic is more of a what-if scenario where Azura chooses to dance on the battlefield.

Note: My inspiration came from an article Source Gaming posted back in 2016. A lot of what I say here is more or less word-for-word from the article.
  • A better representation of Fates: While one could say Corrin represents the game currently (as both characters are playable on all three sides), I believe he primarily represents himself, as all moves and animations are based on his Dragon Fang ability. Fates is currently the only game in the series to grant certain units the unique ability of Dragon Vein, which allows its user(s) to manipulate their environment. Corrin, despite having this ability in the game, does not incorporate it in his Smash moveset. Azura, being of royalty, is another Dragon Vein user in the game. For my moveset, she uses them as a secondary action for her specials, which I’ll touch upon later.
  • Lance user: As of now, the closest thing to a lance user is the side attacks Byleth uses. There are several sword wielders, but no true lance wielders. Azura would fill that niche while also representing spear fighters from FE generally.
  • Dancer: Or, in Azura's case, a Songstress, but the core function is more or less the same; primarily a support unit that invigorates adjacent units for extended actions. Dancers are genrally fragile speedsters who can dodge just fine, but could die in a second when sent too deep into enemy lines. Azura is one of the few dancers who can actually fight enemies.
To translate all of these factors into Smash would be fairly simple. Azura is a lightweight, she’s launched easily and her overall recovery is somewhat limited. However, she’s far from weak due to the range of her lance alone. What also helps is her ability to bend water, primarily for her specials; remember when I teased Dragon Vein earlier? She can even use it to manipulate the water she's already using to (like I said earlier) perform a secondary action in the middle of a special move. She’s also very fast, allowing her to easily escape an enemy's range if possible.
The one I did was inspired by Source Gaming, but I did deviate a little.

Intro: Azura appears from a circle of water, mimicking her battle intro animation from Fates

Stance/Idle 1: Her fighting stance from Fates
Idle 2: Azura’s pre-battle pose from Fates
Idle 3: Azura puts her left hand on her chest

Notable Palette Swaps:
  1. Azura (default)
  2. Phina (red/yellow)
  3. Sylvia (green/white)
  4. Ninian (turquoise)
  5. Tethys (red/black)
  6. Leanne (gold/white)
  7. Olivia (pink/white)
  8. “Mysterious lady” (purple)
Walk: Azura carefully walks forward
Dash: Taken from Fates
Damage: Taken from Fates
Jump: Similar to Palutena’s jump
Crouch: Similar to Palutena’s crouch

Normal Attacks
Jab: A horizontal slash (2%) followed up by a rising slash (3%) and finishes with an overhead slash (5%, OK knockback)
Forward+A: Azura slashes downward (7%, small knockback)
Down+A: Azura jabs along the ground (6%, small knockback), potentially tripping opponents
Up+A: Azura quickly slashes upwards, attacking opponents both in front of and above her (7%, small knockback)

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Azura spins in the air once, slashing anyone in the vicinity (8%, small knockback)
Air Forward+A: Azura brings her lance down for a powerful slash (11% with a meteor effect, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Azura delivers a wide horizontal blow (10%, OK knockback)
Air Up+A: Azura delivers a rising slash (9%, OK knockback)
Air Down+A: Azura delivers a downward diagonal slash (11%, OK knockback)

Dash Attack: Azura delivers a diagonal cut while performing a Ballerina’s Jete (12%, OK knockback), which can launch foes above her
Edge Attack: Azura stabs the opponent with an overhead jab (7%, small knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Water bursts around Azura as she gets back up (6%, small knockback)

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: Azura launches foes in front of her with a rising slash (18%, medium knockback)
Up+A: Azura stabs upwards (16%, medium knockback) as two small pillars of water rise on both sides of her (11% each, OK knockback)
Down+A: Azura slashes diagonally downwards on both sides (14% each hit, OK knockback)

Grab Game
Grab: Azura snags the opponent in a circle of water
Pummel: Azura spins the water circle (1%)
Forwards+Throw: Azura stabs forwards (8%, OK knockback)
Down+Throw: Azura brings her lance down for a downward slash (9%, OK knockback)
Back+Throw: Azura tosses the opponent behind her with the water circle (6%, small knockback)
Up+Throw: Azura backflips while launching her opponent upwards (11%, OK knockback)

Special Moves
B : Inspiring Song; Azura sings for 3 seconds, healing 30% of her current damage when it is completed; this is divided up among her allies. If she is attacked or uses her Dragon Vein during the song, she won’t receive its benefits.
B + Forwards : Javelin Throw; Azura throws her lance like a javelin, which can also hit multiple opponents at once (15%, OK knockback). She is then limited to unarmed combat; all of her jabs, Smash attacks and aerial attacks are reduced to water-bending, which is faster but deals much less damage.
B + Up : Ballerina Twirl; Azura rises moderately high upwards as she twirls under a spiral of water (17%, OK knockback)
B + Down : Stream; Azura twirls once, pulling in opponents, and then raises her lance upwards; a huge stream of water then appears, launching opponents upwards (25%, medium knockback)

Final Smash: Dark Song; Azura raises two columns of water around herself (7%). Opponents are taken into a cutscene (based on the Opera House scene from Fates) where Azura sings her song as ripples go rapidly across the water (50%, devastating knockback)

Gimmick: Dragon Vein; Pressing B in the middle of a Special allows Azura to perform a secondary Special. She can perform any Dragon Vein attack during any Special, but she enters a helpless state when she does this midair.
  • Neutral Dragon Vein: Azura surrounds herself in a barrier of water that pushes opponents away (10%, OK knockback) and reflects projectiles
  • Side Dragon Vein: Azura calls back her lance, which twirls three times (5% each, small knockback) and instantly warps back to her
  • Up Dragon Vein: Azura is pushed up extremely high by water, dealing no damage
  • Down Dragon Vein: Azura pushes a stream of water (similar to the Gust Bellows) in front of her, pushing away opponents and dealing no damage

Taunts
1: “Take your final bow.” Azura mimics her pose in her official artwork
2: “Look me in the eyes.” Azura mimics her talking portrait from Fates
1+2: “I must not lose here.” Azura mimics her battle entrance animation from Fates

Winposes
1: “I’m so happy, I could sing.” Azura’s victory animation from Fates
2: “I had no choice.” Azura mimics her map sprite when dancing, putting her lance up to the camera
3: Azura dances while singing the victory theme

Applause: Azura looks down in disappointment
Icon: The Fire Emblem series icon
Boxing Ring Title: Lady of the Lake
Star K.O.: Azura screams in a near-singing voice
Victory Music: A snippet of “Lost in Thoughts All Alone” suited to Azura
Kirby Hat: Azura’s coif

Ideally, due to being more complex then Corrin, Azura would have to be released in March 2016 (along with Bayonetta).
Undoubtedly an iconic location from Fates, being featured in the game's intro. I was thinking this stage could be exclusive to the 3DS version at the time of Azura's launch, and then brought back for Ultimate.

Layout: A fairly simple layout. There is a big boat in the center, two small boats on the left and right, respectively, and two wooden platforms in between the boats. Various observing boats are sometimes seen moving in the background and foreground, and an audience can faintly be seen in the rafters. Confetti rains down whe the match starts, and sometimes water droplets flood the background while the match progresses.

Gimmicks and Hazards: After about 10 seconds, the lights will dim and the water will glow. More specifically, certain areas beneath the boats glow and a geyser of water appears wherever a glowing spot is. Each geyser jettisons the boats at either a high distance or medium distance. Any fighters launched into the geysers would be slowed down as they pass through, slowly moving up with the current before being shot back out. If a fighter jumps into the water, they slowly rise up until being stopped by a boat. The geysers dissipate after 8-10 seconds, and the cycle repeats every 30 seconds or so.

Music: I should note that, due to this stage being 3DS-only in 4, Opera House would only have two songs, which I'll highlight. I'll also list the places where each song plays between each version of 4.
  1. Lost in Thoughts All Alone
    • Opera House
    • Coliseum
    • Castle Siege
    • Smash Run
  2. Lost in Thoughts All Alone (JP)
    • Coliseum
    • Castle Siege
  3. Justice RIP (Storm)*
    • Opera House
    • Coliseum
    • Smash Run
  4. Misery in Hand
    • Coliseum
  5. Alight (Storm)
    • Coliseum
  6. Dusk Falls (Fire)
    • Castle Siege
    • Smash Run
  7. Condemnation
    • Castle Siege
  8. A Dark Fall (Fire)
    • Castle Siege
  9. Past Below (Flow)
    • Coliseum
    • Castle Siege
  10. Road Taken (Roar)
    • Coliseum
    • Castle Siege
    • Smash Run
  11. End of All (Below)
    • Coliseum
    • Castle Siege
*I was thinking the remix could be in the style of PAII's remix

Battlefield/Ω Form: The Ω Form is the stage where Azura performs her song in Fates. The Battlefield Form platforms are based on the boats in the regular stage.

Alright, now I'm about to get into Ultimate-specific content
:azura:: ~Youuu are oooceans’s grey waaaaaves…~
:ultpit:: Whoa…that’s some great singing! What’s your name?
:azura:: Oh, hello there. My name is Azura. I’m a songstress from far away.
:ultpit:: A songstress? So you defeat people by singing?
:azura:: Actually, my singing is meant for helping people, and only when needed. But I can be one with the water in many different ways, which I can then use in conjunction with my Dragon Vein.
:ultpit:: Whooaaa, that’s so cool!
:azura:: I’m glad you think so, but…I personally consider it a burden. One that makes me want to groan with increasing discomfort.
:ultpit:: Huh? Why?
:azura:: I’d rather not talk about it. All I can say is, I hope I don’t hurt you too much even in a friendly fight.
(fights characters to vocal songs)
Round 1: :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultrobin: (horde battle) on Battlefield Opera House (Fire Emblem Theme)
Round 2: :ultdk::ultdiddy: on Kongo Falls (DK Rap)
Round 3: :ultsonic: on :greenhill: (Live & Learn)
Round 4: :ultmario: (Color 8), :ultpeach: (Color 6) and :ultbowser: (free-for-all) on New Donk City Hall (Break Free (Lead the Way))
Round 5: :ultinkling:x4 (Colors 1, 3, 5 and 7) (free-for-all) on Moray Towers (Bomb Rush Blush)
Round 6: :azura: (Color 8) on Opera House (Lost in Thoughts All Alone (JP))
Final Round: Master Hand (& Crazy Hand on 7.0 or higher) on Opera House Ω (End of All (Below))
Credits: Lost in Thoughts All Alone (JP)
  1. Moblin (Color 2 x4)
  2. Marin (Color 7)
  3. Krystal (Color 8)
  4. Gyarados (default)
  5. Meloetta (Aria Forme) (Color 3)
  6. Caeda (default)
  7. Minerva (Color 5)
  8. Pegasus Sisters (Colors 7, 3 and 1)
  9. Ninian (Color 4)
  10. Ephraim (Color 5)
  11. Hinoka (Color 7)
  12. Sakura (Fire Emblem (Color 7)
  13. Garon (Color 8)
  14. Tsubasa Oribe (Color 2)
  15. Ingrid (Color 6)
  16. Chaos (Color 8)
  17. Blue Pikmin (Color 4)
  18. Cid (Color 6)
  19. Barbara the Bat (Color 8)
  20. Eddy (default)
  21. I-Tetrimino (Color 4)
I don't think Azura would've mitigated hate by any means, since she'd still be another FE character, but I wanted to peep into what would be if Azura was fated for Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
as both a songstress and a spear wielder shed certainly be something new for the roster. and if you were looking for a second character to rep fates specifically shed be an ideal choice as she has a large roll in all story paths and is one of the few characters you get in all paths. however even if there werent so many FE characters id still find it hard to get excited about her as she has no personality. which is very much in keeping with the trend of marth, corrin, robin and byleth. as standout as shed be on the roster as a whole not just among her fellow FE characters i just cant get enthusiastic about a character that bores me. still better a character that bores than one i hate.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I don't care about Fire Emblem and the others have already stated what I was curious about.

As for noms, well B.J is locked down and anyone is on the table. So uh, I guess I'll go with:
Ed, Edd n Eddy x30

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I noticed that I didn’t get any points for the past two characters despite participating in the discussion and asking questions. Hopefully I didn’t do anything wrong to upset anyone.

As far as Azura goes, I think she’s a really unique and cool choice. I was a bit disappointed by Fates but Azura as a character brings a lot to Smash that it is lacking. We don’t have a dedicated polearm user and very few water element users. Azura’s dances could also be interesting.

amageish

Smash Master
I noticed that I didn’t get any points for the past two characters despite participating in the discussion and asking questions. Hopefully I didn’t do anything wrong to upset anyone.

As far as Azura goes, I think she’s a really unique and cool choice. I was a bit disappointed by Fates but Azura as a character brings a lot to Smash that it is lacking. We don’t have a dedicated polearm user and very few water element users. Azura’s dances could also be interesting.
Oh, you've done nothing wrong or anything! I just must have missed your post last day... I added your noms into the last post!

Anyway, yeah, Azura's an interesting character in terms of her moveset potential... Dancing spear-fighter with waterbending is definitely a unique moveset! Fates doesn't use her potential to its fullest, but there's definitely potential in a spin-off helping flesh her out a little bit...

The thing that always confused me about Smash's FE content is the stages largely being so... disconnected from FE. We got Garreg Mach, Arena Ferox, and... uh... some generic fantasy stuff with some FE "vibes"? It'd be cool to see an actual location from Fates represented, be it the Opera House like Perkilator pitched or somewhere else.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Anyway, yeah, Azura's an interesting character in terms of her moveset potential... Dancing spear-fighter with waterbending is definitely a unique moveset! Fates doesn't use her potential to its fullest, but there's definitely potential in a spin-off helping flesh her out a little bit...
well she had a decent moveset in warriors. although i really dont remember any of the water powers

The thing that always confused me about Smash's FE content is the stages largely being so... disconnected from FE. We got Garreg Mach, Arena Ferox, and... uh... some generic fantasy stuff with some FE "vibes"? It'd be cool to see an actual location from Fates represented, be it the Opera House like Perkilator pitched or somewhere else.
perhaps sakurai's love for FE only extends to the characters? i suppose its cause castle siege and colosseum are based on recurring scenes rather than specific locations. though in in my experience FE locations are pretty generic anyway

amageish

Smash Master
well she had a decent moveset in warriors. although i really dont remember any of the water powers
Her moveset was pretty good in that! Surprisingly unique for FEW especially.

Her water stuff does turn up in FEW, though primarily just as effects on her dancing moves as a recreation of the water-bending she does in the Opera House scene.

perhaps sakurai's love for FE only extends to the characters? i suppose its cause castle siege and colosseum are based on recurring scenes rather than specific locations. though in in my experience FE locations are pretty generic anyway
I think it's probably just that they feel like it's better to represent recurrent motifs of FE locations then their locations directly; I just prefer actual named locations from the games personally.

amageish

Smash Master
Day over...

50-75 noms
Jack Frost - x75
Bubsy - x70
Chell - x67
2B - x60
Opa-Opa - x55

26-50 noms
Jonesy - x47
Jason Frudnick - x45
Ed, Edd, n Eddy- x30
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
King Harkinian - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Carl Johnson - x25
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Daitoryo - x25
Clockman (NASB) - x20
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Spyro the Dragon - x18
General RAAM - x15
Ezio - x15
Gunvolt - x15

5-10 noms
Pauline - x10
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Tracer - x3

Commander_Alph - x20
Dan Quixote Dan Quixote - x20
Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth - x20
Schnee117 Schnee117 - x10
DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 - x30
shinhed-echi shinhed-echi - x20
fogbadge fogbadge - x35
Gengar84 Gengar84 - x25
Perkilator Perkilator - x45

Next up is Kazuma Kiryu, the iconic character from Yakuza and/or Super Monkey Ball! We're covering a decent amount of SEGA this week, so it may be fun to think about how a SEGA platform fighter could work...

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Kiryu Kazuma is the main character of the Yakuza series, starring in 8 games and acting as a stand in for the Japan only samurai based games as well. He has an extensive history across the series and the story is fantastic, I implore everyone to do themselves a favour and play the Yakuza series.

Kiryu himself is surprisingly a nice enough guy until you make the mistake of picking a fight with him, that'll get you beaten into a hospital bed with a bicycle, a street sign, a car door, a baseball bat, a cone or just about anything he can get his hands on.

He doesn't need to rely on random items dotted about the streets of Kamurocho however, his fists are more than capable of doing the talking. This is the guy who has fought off two Tigers at once and sent both flying with a single kick and a single punch. He's casually sidestepped rockets as he beat 100 Tojo clan soldiers up. He's equal to a man who fist fought a monster bear moments after waking up from a snowmobile crash. He's punched a frenzied Shark even.

Kiryu is pretty wild in what he's been able to accomplish. And all of this is without killing anyone... Somehow.

Kiryu fights like a bare knuckled brawler. He punches hard, he kicks hard, he throws and he's pretty fast so he can combo you. He can also counter you easily with the famous Tiger Drop which sends the for flying off.

Kiryu's defining mechanic beyond combos, unique item usage and the Tiger Drop is in his Heat Mode however. Heat is gained either upon the consumption of certain items or hitting the opponent a lot, it is lost with every hit he takes however.

What does Heat do? Heat lets Kiryu unleash some truly powerful techniques. He isn't just slowly slamming a street sign into you, he's smashing it over your head with enough force to bounce you up into the air from the force you hit the ground with. He's grabbing you and instead of a basic throw he does this

Not dead by the way

Kiryu is a force to be reckoned with, there are several Heat Action compilations out there showing how crazy some of his moves can get.

Noms:
All on General RAAM

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So from what I can tell, Yakuza, at least the ones prior to Like A Dragon, looks an awful lot like a combination of Tekken and Streets of Rage in a few senses. Would his moveset aside from a Heat gimmick be as complex as Kazuya's or would it be more simple in comparison, if we were going to replicate the control scheme of 3d beat-em-up Yakuza?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
kazuma? hmm is he the one who hits people with bikes?

ok that probably doesnt narrow it down in video games

noms to the crow from death's door

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
So from what I can tell, Yakuza, at least the ones prior to Like A Dragon, looks an awful lot like a combination of Tekken and Streets of Rage in a few senses. Would his moveset aside from a Heat gimmick be as complex as Kazuya's or would it be more simple in comparison, if we were going to replicate the control scheme of 3d beat-em-up Yakuza?
Yakuza's controls are relatively simple
You have Lights, Heavies/Heat Action, Quicksteps and Grabs/Pickups as well as the lock on button which isn't particularly relevant to a fighting game.
0 and Kiwami have stance changing but that's largely irrelevant because it all comes together in his signature Dragon of Dojima style.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I don't know much about Yakuza other than it's a beat-em-up which is straight up my alley. I do have the Remastered Collection on PS4, I just haven't gotten the chance to play it yet.

Noms: Ed Edd n Eddy x30

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ve never played a Yakuza game but I was really tempted at one point because one of the main characters is voiced by Crispin Freeman, who has always been one of my favorite voice actors. I don’t have much personally to add but I’m really enjoying the suggestions put forth so far.

amageish

Smash Master
Let's end the day then...

50-75 noms
Jack Frost - x75
Chell - x73
Bubsy - x70
2B - x60
Ed, Edd, n Eddy- x60
Opa-Opa - x55

26-50 noms
Jonesy - x47
Kage Maru (Virtua Fighter) - x45
Jason Frudnick - x45
Crow (Death's Door)
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
King Harkinian - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Carl Johnson - x25
Chun-Li - x25
General RAAM - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Daitoryo - x25
Clockman (NASB) - x20
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Spyro the Dragon - x18
Ezio - x15
Gunvolt - x15

5-10 noms
Pauline - x10
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Tracer - x3

Commander_Alph - x20
Dan Quixote - x20
White Frost - x20
Schnee117 - x35
shinhed-echi - x20
Gengar84 - x25
Golisopower - x15

We continue our SEGA discussions with Max, the protagonist of the first Shining Force game. Actually, this week has included a tactics game character, a SEGA character, and now a SEGA tactics game character... Funny that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Max is not your typical swordsman. At least, it's notable he doesn't have access to some of the normal strongest weapons, but has access to a few special ones for story purposes. Even as a Hero, his weapon selection is limited. Same with Armor in general.

What makes him different is that he has very little magic to begin with, namely Egress(which teleports you and your team out of battle to recuperate) and in the remake, Supernova(basically your typical Fire though it's more akin to Pikachu's Thunder than what Robin or Luminary(I'm using this term to make it clear since I'll be using the word Hero a lot) is available. It's pretty much like Bolt other than the animations.

• Egress: There's no real way to add the team aspect without it being broken. Even if you were in a team battle. Being a normal teleport move works, but it could have a bit more range, with some cool down as well to prevent spamming(even if on the ground). Getting hit in the air for more than 30% could reactivate its usage, perhaps.
  • Supernova easily can work with having multiple levels, similar to what Luminary does in terms of charging. An MP meter isn't needed, but it could have its own meter similar to Robin's instead.
As for weapons, you have things like the Short Sword, Middle Sword, Long Sword, Steel Sword, Broad Sword, Katana, Doom Blade, Sword of Darkness, Sword of Light, and Chaos Breaker. The last 8 are similar enough or at least long enough to provide easy weapon options. There's also, from the remake, the Dwarfbuster, Mermanbuster, and Soulbuster. You could have those instead of the last three swords(which are plausible to work with the Final Smash).

Various weapons throughout the series can cast spells, which can plausible for filling out the moveset. They (in the first game) are Bolt 2, Desoul 1, Freeze 3, Blaze 2, Blaze 3, "Steals MP"(not an actual regular spell, but it's unlikely to be workable in here that easily. Definitely not against Luminary), Bolt 1, the Cursed Status(this could do things like having him attack but take a bit of damage similar to Pichu). In addition, his critical hit sound effect can work well for a fully charged Smash attack.

(And yes, I wrote this on a whim. XD)

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Shining Force is a really interesting IP in that unfortunate category of SEGA IPs that SEGA just... doesn't include in many crossovers. Hopefully the mobile game ends up changing that, one way or another.

As someone who has only played the first game, how connected or unconnected is the entries from each other? Is it like FE with most entires being standalone?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
As someone who has only played the first game, how connected or unconnected is the entries from each other? Is it like FE with most entires being standalone?
ive got a couple of follow ups if that is the case: do the stories have a lot of recurring themes like FF and FE?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I've heard of Shining Force, though I haven't played it since I really struggle to get into older RPGs like it. What would the stage be?

Noms: Ed, Edd n Eddy x5

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Shining Force is a really interesting IP in that unfortunate category of SEGA IPs that SEGA just... doesn't include in many crossovers. Hopefully the mobile game ends up changing that, one way or another.

Some games do connect in an overall story, but for the most part, they're fairly separated, but still the same universe. Shining Force NEO apparently is a different universe, while most of the others are the same one. Shining Soul is a sub-series of Action RPG's unrelated to either outside of references. Max actually returns in Shining Force III, as the trilogy is loosely connected via a few characters overall. The one last universe is only via one game, the remake of Shining Force 1, as it's never referenced again, but introduces major new characters. It's possible it's connected to Shining Soul? Hard to say. All 3 GBA games(SF1 remake, Shining Soul, Shining Soul II) could be related in some way. But eh.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Some games do connect in an overall story, but for the most part, they're fairly separated, but still the same universe. Shining Force NEO apparently is a different universe, while most of the others are the same one. Shining Soul is a sub-series of Action RPG's unrelated to either outside of references. Max actually returns in Shining Force III, as the trilogy is loosely connected via a few characters overall. The one last universe is only via one game, the remake of Shining Force 1, as it's never referenced again, but introduces major new characters. It's possible it's connected to Shining Soul? Hard to say. All 3 GBA games(SF1 remake, Shining Soul, Shining Soul II) could be related in some way. But eh.
sort of like xenoblade?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Top Bottom