• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Platform Fighter Exploration Thread: Round 117: General RAAM

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'm not very enthusiastic for Pokemon in Smash anymore but Scizor would be a very cool choice. A bug/steel type that has a good mix of speed and attack and an arsenal of moves like Fury Cutter, Metal Claw, and X-Scissor. Sounds like a good time. He would also be another Gen 2 rep which just has Pichu who is a semi-clone and a joke character. I just have one question, what would be a good stage for him?

Now for noms, well Vectorman is locked in so I'll go with something wild.

B.J Blazkowicz (Wolfenstein) x5

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I'd be all in for having playable Pokemon representing unrepresented types. Bug-types feel very underrated from what I've seen (Hell, my friggin' username is derived from a Bug-type), and Scizor seems like a good choice out of all of them. I imagine him being a ZSS-type character with Little Mac-tier aggression, in all honesty.

Noms:
All in on Ahri.

amageish

Smash Master
I'm not very enthusiastic for Pokemon in Smash anymore but Scizor would be a very cool choice. A bug/steel type that has a good mix of speed and attack and an arsenal of moves like Fury Cutter, Metal Claw, and X-Scissor. Sounds like a good time. He would also be another Gen 2 rep which just has Pichu who is a semi-clone and a joke character. I just have one question, what would be a good stage for him?

Now for noms, well Vectorman is locked in so I'll go with something wild.

B.J Blazkowicz (Wolfenstein) x5
Sprout Tower is a great Gen Two choice, though personally... We have almost no representation of Pokemon spin-offs, so I'd probably take a new stage as a chance to have something from one of those...

Pokken Tournament has already been mentioned, though given how Tekken already has a stage... Idk how unique of a stage it would end up being.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is another pretty obvious choice, probably being a giant sprawling stage a la the Great Cave Offensive. So, y'know, a very popular stage everyone would love!

Otherwise... Maybe Rumble could make for an interesting stage? Featuring the weird polygonal Pokemon designs that sub-series uses as cameos...

And, y'know what? I'm actually going to do a music sampler, as I think Pokemon music is kind of understated in Smash. Pokemon has a lot of content, sure, but the music selection feels like it pulls from the same types of tracks from most of the games, when Pokemon has a lot more vibes then the standard aesthetics they go for for the mainline battle themes... Here's some fun songs not in Smash!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Scizor's final smash is easy thanks to Pokken

Honestly a lot of what it does in Pokken would be really cool to see and there'd be some more Johto music to come with it
Wow, that is a perfect Final Smash for Scizor. I bought Pokken years ago but barely had the chance to actually play it. I’ll have to check out some gameplay videos of Scizor in Pokken to get a good idea for a base for Smash.

Overall, I think Scizor would be a really cool addition to Smash and it’s probably in my top 5 favorite Bug types.

Pokémon Gold and Silver had my favorite soundtrack in the series and there are a lot of songs I’d love to see in Smash that never made it. My top two picks are Lance Battle and Ice Cave.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Well, seems like it's time to move on...

50-75 noms
Bubsy - x70
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Opa-Opa - x55
Jack Frost - x55
Chell - x52

26-50 noms
Ahri - x50
2B - x40
Azura - x40

Max (Shining Force) - x40
Jonesy - x37
Trauma Center Content - x32
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Stella (Spiritfarer) - x30
Jason Frudnick - x30
King Harkinian - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Daitoryo - x25
Taliyah - x25
Clockman (NASB) - x20
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Darkest Dungeon Content - x16
Alphen and/or Shionne - x15
Rango (NASB) - x15
Ezio - x15
Gunvolt - x15

5-10 noms
Pauline - x10
Lobotomy Corporation/Library of Ruina Content - x7
BJ Blazkowicz - x5
Jack (Final Fantasy Origin) - x5
Carl Johnson - x5
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Ahri - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3

Commander_Alph - x20
Schnee117 Schnee117 - x10
Perkilator Perkilator - x40
DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 - x10
GolisoPower GolisoPower - x10
Dan Quixote Dan Quixote - x25
amageish amageish - x15
Gengar84 Gengar84 - x15

Now, next up is Predator, who I initially assumed was being nominated for Multiversus, but it turns out that IP is actually under the control of Mickey Mouse. So... I guess we're making up a Disney Platform Fighter and imagining how Predator would play in it!

Welp, time to set the mood...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Well, seems like it's time to move on...

50-75 noms
Bubsy - x70
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Opa-Opa - x55
Jack Frost - x55
Chell - x52

26-50 noms
Ahri - x50
2B - x40
Azura - x40

Max (Shining Force) - x40
Jonesy - x37
Trauma Center Content - x32
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Stella (Spiritfarer) - x30
Jason Frudnick - x30
King Harkinian - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Daitoryo - x25
Taliyah - x25
Clockman (NASB) - x20
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Darkest Dungeon Content - x16
Alphen and/or Shionne - x15
Rango (NASB) - x15
Ezio - x15
Gunvolt - x15

5-10 noms
Pauline - x10
Lobotomy Corporation/Library of Ruina Content - x7
BJ Blazkowicz - x5
Jack (Final Fantasy Origin) - x5
Carl Johnson - x5
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Ahri - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3

Commander_Alph - x20
Schnee117 Schnee117 - x10
Perkilator Perkilator - x40
DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 - x10
GolisoPower GolisoPower - x10
Dan Quixote Dan Quixote - x25
amageish amageish - x15
Gengar84 Gengar84 - x15

Now, next up is Predator, who I initially assumed was being nominated for Multiversus, but it turns out that IP is actually under the control of Mickey Mouse. So... I guess we're making up a Disney Platform Fighter and imagining how Predator would play in it!

Welp, time to set the mood...

Noms:
Alphen and Shionne x20

I’ve got some fun ideas for a Predator moveset that I’ll share tomorrow. I have everything written down on my PC and I’m on my phone right now.

For now I’ll just say that Predator has a ton of really cool weapons like his homing disc, shoulder blaster, spears, wrist blades, and nets that would all lend itself to a great platform fighter moveset. I think we can look at Mortal Kombat for some ideas for how it could translate to a Smashlike

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Heck yeah Predator is awesome. I'm a fan of the films, especially the first one with its memorable, over the top lines, the kills, the Predator itself, and Arnold Schwarzenegger in general. I thought they did Predator justice in Mortal Kombat X and I can picture a similar moveset for a platform fighter (Just without some of the gorier attacks and fatalities of course. I don't think Disney would be ok with Predator pulling out Mickey's spine). That said, he still has his plasma cannon and blades to work with. His stage would take place in the jungle with trees, rivers, hills, and holes to use as obstacles to give the stage verticality and some gimmicks.

BTW a Disney fighter sounds sick. Imagine Phineas and Ferb fighting the Hulk, Mulder and Scully from the X-Files, Jack Sparrow, Darth Vader and Goofy.

B.J Blazkowicz x10

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Predator in a Smash-like platform sounds weird and out of place...until I remembered Arya Stark was in MultiVersus lol. I think it'd sound difficult to actually balance a set for a character for a game that doesn't even exist as far as we know, but in all honesty, making the set is a much easier route. I imagine Predator to be a bait-and-punish character with a decent projectile game and good stage control.

Noms:
All in on Ahri

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
can i just check: when you say predator you mean the ones from the films called predator? sometimes fighting the aliens from alien?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
can i just check: when you say predator you mean the ones from the films called predator? sometimes fighting the aliens from alien?
Yes, that’s correct. Since it is owned by Disney, it would presumably appear in a Disney platform fighter.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The Smart Disc would be a great way to control the stage with it acting as a slower, more lingering projectile that can be guided around somewhat which can force opponents into net traps which deal minor damage and let Predator get an easy combo off.

In conjunction with the Plasma Caster which can fire a few shots in quick succession or be charged up for a more devastating attack, Predator would be all about forcing the foe into a situation where they're really vulnerable to more close up attacks.

A fun gimmick to take advantage of would be the self destruct feature in the wrist gauntlet. Predator pushes some buttons the gauntlet (and does the creepy laughter whilst it counts down) and activates a state where the gauntlet is counting down to the eventual explosion. This will deal high damage to both Predator and any foe caught in the blast so control of the stage is vital to Predator in order to take advantage of this with devastating consequences for failing to catch the opponent in the blast

Taunt wise the Predator can take the mask off and roar, holding the button keeps the mask off and doing it again puts it back on, it could also do Billy's Laugh and also do something akin to fiddling with the wrist gauntlet.

Noms:
All in on Kiryu Kazuma

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Alright, I'll share my idea I had for a Predator moveset I came up with in 2010 lol. This was originally created as an idea for a Brawl modded moveset so not everything will necessarily carry over to a new game, especially if is just a platform fighter and not a Smash game but it should be fun to share regardless.

Special Traits / Other:
Predator would have Snake’s entrance, where he uncloaks himself.

Much like ROB or Wario, Predator can build up, store, and use energy for certain attacks. This energy is automatically built up over time, like ROB’s, at a rate of 1 unit of energy per second, and it is capped at 50 units of energy.

One of Predator’s taunts can cloak himself, much like the cloaking device from SSBM. This will eat up the energy that you have been saving at a rate of 5 energy per second until either it’s depleted, or you use this taunt again to deactivate it.

In terms of speed and power, Predator should play similarly to Ganondorf.

Predator should be able to wall cling.

Weak Attacks:

A Combo
Predator attacks with his wrist blades. Wolf’s Neutral A combo could work fine.

Forward Tilt

Predator takes a swing with his wrist blades. Wolf’s Forward Tilt works fine for this.

Up Tilt
Predator fires a burst of plasma from his shoulder cannon diagonally up, much like the CoN Naruto PSA’s kunai attack. This should be no more powerful than Samus’ uncharged Neutral B attack, and it doesn’t have to cost any energy.

Down Tilt
Predator quickly slashes in front of him and then in back of him. Basically Wolf’s Down Smash as a ducking attack.

Dash Attack
Predator slashes with his wrist blades. Marth’s Running A could work fine.

Smash Attacks:

Forward Smash — Combi Stick
Predator thrusts his spear forward, similar to Marth’s Neutral B.

Up Smash — Combi Stick
Predator thrusts his spear upward, just like Marth’s Up Smash.

Down Smash — Net Gun

Predator shoots a net forward. If an enemy is hit with this attack, he is grounded, like with Donkey Kong’s Forward B. The longer you charge this attack, the further the net travels and the longer it keeps the enemy grounded.

Specials:

Neutral B — Plasma Caster
Cost: Variable.
Predator fires a plasma blast from his shoulder cannon in a straight line. If Predator has fully stored up his energy, this is equivalent to Samus’ fully charged Neutral B, and it would cost 25 energy. With 25 energy, this is equivalent to Samus’ half-charged Neutral B, and it would cost 10 energy. With under 25 energy, this attack is like Samus’ uncharged Neutral B, with a little less lag time between each shot. It would deplete your energy by 3, but could still be used at 0 energy.

Forward B — Chakram / Smart Disc
Cost: 10 energy.
Predator throws his disc in a given direction. The disc should behave like Toon Link’s boomerang, in that it comes back to him. The difference would be that it doesn’t bounce off of its target. It keeps going until it reaches its max distance, and then comes back to you. The more energy you have when you use this attack, the stronger and faster it is.

Up B — Super Jump
Predator jumps upward. The distance is determined by how much energy he has stored up. This also hurts the enemy depending on how much energy he has. With max energy, this could be a fairly powerful attack. This could cost 10 energy to use, but only if you are at max energy.
In the air:

Down B — Medicomp
Cost: All of Predator’s energy.
Predator busts out his first-aid kit, and injects himself with a needle. This uses up all of Predator’s stored energy, and heals him by a percentage equal to the amount of energy used. This should take a second to start up, and could have some ending lag like Jigglypuff’s rest.

Grabs:

Grab
Predator grabs the enemy by the neck, much like Ganondorf’s Forward B.

Pummel
Predator squeezes his grip on the enemy’s neck.

Forward Throw
Predator throws his enemy forward, then immediately fires some plasma blasts at him from his shoulder cannon, much like Mewtwo’s forward throw.

Back Throw
Predator throws his enemy behind him. Donkey Kong’s Back Throw could work fine.

Up Throw
Ganondorf’s Up Throw would work fine.

Down Throw
Predator slams his enemy into the ground, like Donkey Kong’s Down Throw.

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral A
Predator electrocutes his surroundings, much like Mewtwo’s Neutral Aerial A.

Forward A
Predator takes a swing with his wrist blades. Ganondorf’s Aerial Forward A would work fine.

Back A
Predator swings behind him with his wrist blades. Ganondorf’s Aerial Back A should suffice.

Up A

Predator slashes above him with his wrist blades. Wolf’s Aerial Up A works fine.

Down A

Predator stomps down, spiking his enemy. Basically Ganondorf’s Aerial Down A.

Final Smash:

Self Destruct
Predator activates his self-destruct sequence. After maybe five seconds, Predator blows up and instantly KO’s any enemies within a rather large radius. This move also kills Predator. During the countdown, Predator should be impervious to all attacks, and he can have unlimited energy. If possible, during the countdown, we can hear Predator laughing maniacally as well as the bleeps from the timer.

amageish

Smash Master
So, I don't think I've seen a Predator film before? I honestly don't know how I've missed the series entirely, but... thinking about it, I just can't think of a time I saw any of them...

should we move this thread to the platform fighter general?
That'd make sense... How does one move an already-made-thread? Do you just contact the mods to ask them to do it?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So, I don't think I've seen a Predator film before? I honestly don't know how I've missed the series entirely, but... thinking about it, I just can't think of a time I saw any of them...

That'd make sense... How does one move an already-made-thread? Do you just contact the mods to ask them to do it?
I’d definitely recommend at least the first two movies. The first movie with Arnold is more of a survival horror style where you don’t actually see much of the Predator itself until towards the end of the movie but it’s great. The second with Danny Glover is more of a straight action movie where you see a lot more of the creature. The movie Predators that came many years later was a lot of fun as well and was another pure action movie. I’ve actually never seen the most recent movie but I’ve been meaning to.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I honestly saw it so long ago that I only remember stuff from Robot Chicken and the Cyber-Ninjas from Mortal Kombat who are inspired by the Predator.

...Kill satellite I do remember, though, as an ability. Final Smash option?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I honestly saw it so long ago that I only remember stuff from Robot Chicken and the Cyber-Ninjas from Mortal Kombat who are inspired by the Predator.

...Kill satellite I do remember, though, as an ability. Final Smash option?
Predator also inspired Fulgore from Killer Instinct. Metroid and Contra also drew inspiration from both Alien and Predator. Metroid was a bit more inspired by Alien but Contra definitely took major inspiration from both.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Predator also inspired Fulgore from Killer Instinct. Metroid and Contra also drew inspiration from both Alien and Predator. Metroid was a bit more inspired by Alien but Contra definitely took major inspiration from both.
Ah, so that's where the Kill Sat move came from. I'm surprised I didn't notice it before. Though I guess Fulgore doesn't take much from Predator in comparison to the Cyber Ninjas.

That said, a Final Smash that KO's you is pretty interesting and different.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Ah, so that's where the Kill Sat move came from. I'm surprised I didn't notice it before. Though I guess Fulgore doesn't take much from Predator in comparison to the Cyber Ninjas.

That said, a Final Smash that KO's you is pretty interesting and different.
Thanks 😊. As far as Fulgore goes, I always though he looked similar to Predator but never knew if he was directly inspired until I watched a video from the KI artist (who also made the Battletoads and modern DK). He was painting a picture of Glacius while talking about all the inspirations for various characters in KI.

amageish

Smash Master
I’d definitely recommend at least the first two movies. The first movie with Arnold is more of a survival horror style where you don’t actually see much of the Predator itself until towards the end of the movie but it’s great. The second with Danny Glover is more of a straight action movie where you see a lot more of the creature. The movie Predators that came many years later was a lot of fun as well and was another pure action movie. I’ve actually never seen the most recent movie but I’ve been meaning to.
Interesting variety! Sounds like a similar evolution of genre to what happened with the Alien franchise (which I have seen the first two films of), which explains why they've had so much crossover media...

Which, according to google, is also owned by Disney now! My goodness; Disney owns so many things... So, do you think they'd play into the Alien vs Predator thing for a reveal trailer, or do we go silly and have, like, Predator fighting Stitch from Lilo and Stitch or Predator trying to take over Space Mountain at Disneyland?

well if nothing else theyd know who to contact
Good point!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Interesting variety! Sounds like a similar evolution of genre to what happened with the Alien franchise (which I have seen the first two films of), which explains why they've had so much crossover media...

Which, according to google, is also owned by Disney now! My goodness; Disney owns so many things... So, do you think they'd play into the Alien vs Predator thing for a reveal trailer, or do we go silly and have, like, Predator fighting Stitch from Lilo and Stitch or Predator trying to take over Space Mountain at Disneyland?

Good point!
I think those are all great ideas for an intro trailer. We have seen Alien Vs. Predator often enough that it might be more interesting to see other matchups. I’d personally go with Predator Vs. Boba Fett for his trailer and Alien Vs. Venom for Alien’s (assuming they work things out with Sony for Venom).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
personally i think the predator being in a hypothetical disney smash would be a terrible waste. never mind the clash of tones but disney has so many great characters and all my favourite movies are theres so many characters whod be way more fun to play as. forget the monster from one of arnie's macho romps

Gengar84

Smash Hero
personally i think the predator being in a hypothetical disney smash would be a terrible waste. never mind the clash of tones but disney has so many great characters and all my favourite movies are theres so many characters whod be way more fun to play as. forget the monster from one of arnie's macho romps
Mother always told me that if you don’t have anything nice to say then don’t say anything at all.

In all seriousness though, I don’t really think Alien or Predator are that out of place when compared to Marvel and Star Wars, both of which are now Disney properties. Disney is a lot more these days than family friendly animated movies and I think there’s plenty of room for variety.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Mother always told me that if you don’t have anything nice to say then don’t say anything at all.
my mother always said watch what you say or someone will punch you in the face. probably a scottish thing

In all seriousness though, I don’t really think Alien or Predator are that out of place when compared to Marvel and Star Wars, both of which are now Disney properties. Disney is a lot more these days than family friendly animated movies and I think there’s plenty of room for variety.
yeah but i wouldnt want marvel in either and id rather star wars just vanished from reality. disney may be a lot of things but the best things are those animated movies

and darkwing duck

Gengar84

Smash Hero
my mother always said watch what you say or someone will punch you in the face. probably a scottish thing

yeah but i wouldnt want marvel in either and id rather star wars just vanished from reality. disney may be a lot of things but the best things are those animated movies

and darkwing duck
Either way, the Disney fighter part was more a byproduct of my wanting to talk about Predator. It just so happens that Disney owns the rights to Predator so it basically defaulted to being a Disney platform fighter. I honestly didn’t even realize that when I nominated it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Disney isn't just animated stuff now. It's fine to have an Animated-based game as well, but the general crossovers should be including a good variety of their franchises, including ones they acquired. Also, a lot of the animated movies had some extremely dark villains(Frollo was barely toned down for the movie too) as is. Many of their adaptions have a lot of mature stuff being handled. Not everything is like Mickey Mouse(completely unique) either. That, and we have darker designs like Epic Mickey, as well as stuff like Kingdom Hearts which is clearly not as lighthearted as the classic shorts.

Seems normal to me at this point. At most, toning aspects down makes sense. You don't need to have blood and gore, etc. No need for swearing. And so on.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Disney isn't just animated stuff now. It's fine to have an Animated-based game as well, but the general crossovers should be including a good variety of their franchises, including ones they acquired. Also, a lot of the animated movies had some extremely dark villains(Frollo was barely toned down for the movie too) as is. Many of their adaptions have a lot of mature stuff being handled. Not everything is like Mickey Mouse(completely unique) either. That, and we have darker designs like Epic Mickey, as well as stuff like Kingdom Hearts which is clearly not as lighthearted as the classic shorts.

Seems normal to me at this point. At most, toning aspects down makes sense. You don't need to have blood and gore, etc. No need for swearing. And so on.
its got nothing to do with tone I just don’t like them

Gengar84

Smash Hero

So we probably won’t be getting any reference to the “one ugly mother…” quote. I think Predator can be toned down pretty easily. Nothing in its kit really requires gore at all. It would basically be the same situation as Scorpion and Sub-Zero in Injustice.

amageish

Smash Master
Let's be honest: Disney owns too many things for a Disney platform fighter to please everyone. This hypothetical game could have a roster of 100 characters and it still wouldn't have covered every unique IP they own that has grossed over a million dollars. They would have to draw the line somewhere and it's possible they'd just ignore Marvel, LucasFilms, or 20th Century Fox in general (at least for the base roster) just to make it so that the roster has some semblance of internal logic.

That said, if Disney did give their developers time to make a 100+ character roster, Predator is super famous! Totally worth being in the game and arguably one of the most notable movie monster characters Disney has ended up owning, as a lot of the famous horror creatures are under Warner Bros or Lionsgate.

Anyway, this isn't really the point of this thread anyway: It's meant to be discussing how a character would work, not if it's likely they will work or should work.

Top Bottom