• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Plateauing in Smash

Laijin

Smash Hero
V-13 is does not break the game. Its not like she has an overwhelming advantage on all characters. Most characters once inside pretty much destroy her, especially characters like Noel(who has a dead even match up against her).
There are some obvious underpowered and overpowered characters, but overall the balance is more so there than in Melee.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I thought order sol didn't start winning any tourneys until Accent Core where he is mid to at worst lowish mid tier instead of bottom. Am I wrong?

But yeah melee isn't that balanced. I wouldn't say a game like third strike would be any more balanced but that isn't saying much. haha

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
My plateau is about a mile underground. I play all low/bottom tier characters in Brawl. I can't practice in melee cause there is no one to practice against. the nearest tourney is about a 3 hour drive if I'm lucky, 6 hours if not. I also don't have reliable transportation and I'm getting too old for the smash scene... *sigh* looks like it's off to the no skill mmo farm for me...

PS- DoA4, SC4, BB, GG, SSBM, SSBB, MvC2. fighting games are good.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Only plateau that matters is the sinister tournament plateau.

You know that plateau that makes you get reallly nervous in tourneys and get 3 stocked by people you go even with in friendlies.

Thats the **** that I've been stuck on for 3 years.

Whats even more dumb is that its not even rational to get nervous over a video game lololol.

JFox

Smash Hero
I know I´m not from this region, but i stumbled upon this thread and was quite intruiged by the OP. I havent read all of these posts, so forgive me if I am reitterating what has already been said by another member of the community.

My experience with smash is that we all plateau regardless of how hard we may try to improve. There are just certain people that have it, and others dont. You rarely ever see someone who has been in the game for years all of a sudden rise to the top, but you do often see a person come from what seems like out of no where all of a sudden progressing quickly to a peak. I dont wanna say that they immediately become pro, but it takes very little time, and they usually go from nobody to somebody pretty quick (less than 2 years lets say). We usually refer to these people as prodigies, and we´ve have a ton of them. Chillin, PC, m2k, mango, Cactuar, Scar, Jman, Armada, Hbox, shiz, colbol, etc etc. Nowadays it seems like all of the vets are replaced by young kids whos learning curve is amazing, and their natural talent seems unfairly strong. Most of them think and play quite fast, have amazing reaction time, think extremely well under pressure, etc.

Ive often said that Smash at its highest level, like many sports and competetive games, is really a either you have it or you dont kinda deal. If you´ve always found that your progression was slow and steady, chances are you´re probably never gonna make it to the top. Its a sad but true phenomenon about competition.

So to answer the question in the OP, I feel that you really cant do much to greatly improve. However, there are things you can do to make a pretty significant difference. Im going to use myself as an example.

When I was a Fox main, I found that I simply didnt have the raw talent in my fingers to control Fox the way people like Colbol or Jman are able to control him. Fox is like a ball of chaos that only a small number of talented individuals are fast enough to control, and I was not one of them. I found that my success came only when I out-thought my opponent greatly. I made numerous mistakes every game (regardless of how much tech skill practice i put in) which gave my opponent tons of openings to put on big punishes (and we all know that most of the cast can punish fox pretty hard given the chance)

I decided to change my main to peach just for fun, cuz I was bored of fox. I completely dropped him all together, and just started messing around with peach. I found that some of my tech skill practice transfered over so that I was able to move quite fast with Peach because I had practiced so much with Fox. This was amazing to me because I was always a ´slower´ player. I found that with more control I was able to be a stronger competitor. In addition, I simply found that maining a new character gave me all kinds of new insight into melee.

So I find that using new characters is one of the best ways to grow as a player mentally. Often times u find that you are actually better suited to play a character other than your main, and that your skills shine through when you try other characters. I personally find it very hard to pick up a new character unless I completely devote myself to that character for quite some time (slow learner i guess, mostly tech skill problems =/ )

So if you ever find yourself plateau-ing, and you are determined to improve, try picking up a new character. You may move your plateau up a notch or two. But remember that most of the time this stuff is kinda set in stone, so dont be too surprised that you dont just shoot up to the top just cuz u start making good headway. In the end you will certainly have grown as a player, but there will most likely be new prodigies popping up all the time, so you may end up back to where you were, lol.

:)

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Only plateau that matters is the sinister tournament plateau.

You know that plateau that makes you get reallly nervous in tourneys and get 3 stocked by people you go even with in friendlies.

Thats the **** that I've been stuck on for 3 years.

Whats even more dumb is that its not even rational to get nervous over a video game lololol.
That's happened to me once before at one of my first tourneys, and yeah, it sucked.

I wouldn't say I'm in a plateau, more or less, I'm just too lazy to try and improve :crazy:

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
I agree with Jfox

Playing different characters will help you learn the matchups better too. Youll find their limitations in movement etc. I'd start with your worst match-up.

GodMeowMix

Smash Ace
Something that really bugs me about people's mentality is their love and hope for a game. Anytime I'm at a tournament they talk about how Brawl is such a B.S. game and how we should all be playing Melee. While its understandable that Melee may be a more competitive game than Brawl, its no where near as understandable as your attitude towards the game YOU CHOOSE to play. Negativity affects your game play so much more than you really think it does, if you have no love for your character or no hope for what you believe in then you're obviously not going to progress as fast as some other people.

I honestly believe that why the younger community succeeds far quicker than the older community is because their open minded mentality, they look up to the older communities set examples and try to better it. Positivity really works wonders in my opinion and its something we really need to see in this community if we want to really strive to get better and positivity really applies to almost anything you do.

When I look at fine examples I honestly look at Dashizwiz, even though he is a Melee player the way he thinks is really aspiring and probably why his style of play is so far different from other players of his caliber. It really encourages mid level players like me to try and better themselves and seek that high risk yet rewarding play style that people wish they could obtain (doesn't apply to everyone, who knows it may only apply to me.)

Top Bottom