• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PKAY FIAH! ~ Ness MU Discussion [INDEX PAGE + Various Discussions]

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Snake is the most inappropriately made smash character every. None of his moves make sense at all. I'm going to stick my leg up and it will damage you. That's like half his moves.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
And a psycic kid hitting you with sparks makes any more sense?
It makes sense that those sparks do damage.

I mean comparing Ness's and Snake's hitboxes, it seems Snake is the psychic. Plus he doesn't play anything like he does in his games...

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
By the way, any ideas on how my list should be improved? Like the order of characters, how its formatted, or something more that should be added to it? Some input would be appreciated.
Include headers in slightly larger font for each character by name. Put shortened forms TL, GnW/GaW/G&W/GW, ZSS, Zamus in the appropriate places (but especially TL and Zamus since it sucks that another character's name is a substring).

Order the characters either by tier placement (by the most recent production of the SBR), sorting within tier according to Ness' matchup against each; or sorted purely by Ness' matchup ratio.

Someone should invite the Snakes. I think I would suck at it (at least right now), so it's not me.

btw AvariceX, what did Ally do to try to kill you? o_O

xoxokev

Smash Lord
Link to the start of Snake re-discussion has been added:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6393604&postcount=1466

By the way, any ideas on how my list should be improved? Like the order of characters, how its formatted, or something more that should be added to it? Some input would be appreciated.
i would really appreciate it if someone would write summaries for each character... not me tho lol

(just saying)

including "what to do:" and "what not to do:" as well as "stage bans:" and "stage counterpicks:" :lick:

and also a link to this (or quote) on the first post

Meian

Smash Cadet

I mean comparing Ness's and Snake's hitboxes, it seems Snake is the psychic. Plus he doesn't play anything like he does in his games...
In Snake's defense, Ness doesn't do nearly any of the moves he does outside of PK Flash from his games.

i would really appreciate it if someone would write summaries for each character... not me tho lol

(just saying)

including "what to do:" and "what not to do:" as well as "stage bans:" and "stage counterpicks:" :lick:

Yea, I also agree with this was trying to say that in my previous post =x

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord

And a knee to the gut then a haymaker wouldn't hurt, that should do damage. Snakes hitboxes are stupid i agree, but that is sakurai's fault.

Ness doesn't play like in his game either, he uses paula's moves for pity sakes, the only thing ness uses that are his are the bat, yo-yo, and PK flash. Every thing else is made up.

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace

(just saying)

In the second post of this topic, Pk Nintendo does link to the list, but I suppose its not really obvious enough for people to notice.

As for match-up summaries, I'm not sure if I'm confident enough to do those. A few of those discussions were either too short or there was little to no input from the other mains though some of those makes some good points. A template would be good though. I could go through each of the discussions and take the important points, but it would obviously take a good while.

Also when the characters are done we could do discussions for stage counterpicks for clarification.

mydadsacop123

Smash Apprentice
Grab release snake on the edge when he falls dtilt and stop his 2nd jump. Then spike his upb
I do this to good snake players all the time and it works pretty well

_clinton

Smash Master
And a knee to the gut then a haymaker wouldn't hurt, that should do damage. Snakes hitboxes are stupid i agree, but that is sakurai's fault.

Ness doesn't play like in his game either, he uses paula's moves for pity sakes, the only thing ness uses that are his are the bat, yo-yo, and PK flash. Every thing else is made up.
Ness' power is psychokinesis and he is very high as far as power goes...the idea of PK Fire and so on isn't that off track...

neomadgic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
neomagic249
Next to Marth, I think Snake is Ness hardest matchup. You have to approach Snakes since he can grenade camp you and it is extremely hard to approach because his tilts reach really far. Also, Snake could kill at us at around 120ish% while it'll take us a good 140-150% to get him unless we can get a spike off. Which, in my mind, is easier said than done. PKT doesn't really work that well against snake to juggle him, because he can punish you with DownB when he's above you.

The only advantage Ness has on Snake is aerials. If you can get snake in the air, you can wreak havoc. Snake doesn't have that many options when you are juggling him with attacks. Heck, he only have 2 options: Airdodge, or bair. You could easily force him to do one of these options by simply jumping at him (short hop), then work from there.

I think the matchup is 65-35 snake.

Cacti

Smash Journeyman
I'd also say somewhere around 60-40 Snake. This is a pretty hard matchup for Ness. Snake dominates the ground, so you'll have to get him off the stage or in the air to edgeguard/juggle. I'd approach with a wall of fairs and bairs.

Also, Nair goes through Snake's usmash :)

_clinton

Smash Master
After Snake, want to do D3?
We have D3...the D3 boards have D3...lets work on the ones we don't have...how about Pokemon Trainer? I disagree with their board...

Next to Marth, I think Snake is Ness hardest matchup. You have to approach Snakes since he can grenade camp you and it is extremely hard to approach because his tilts reach really far. Also, Snake could kill at us at around 120ish% while it'll take us a good 140-150% to get him unless we can get a spike off. Which, in my mind, is easier said than done. PKT doesn't really work that well against snake to juggle him, because he can punish you with DownB when he's above you.
I think G&W is harder than Snake...
Proper use of PKT,PKF, and Magnet all have an effect on Snake's nade play to a point...
Also Bthrows kill range on Snake is about 89-155% w/o factoring in DI on FD...

Anyway...Do note that a grab release does end in an Utilt at high %...so this is another match where the kill grab is both ways...

The only advantage Ness has on Snake is aerials. If you can get snake in the air, you can wreak havoc. Snake doesn't have that many options when you are juggling him with attacks. Heck, he only have 2 options: Airdodge, or bair. You could easily force him to do one of these options by simply jumping at him (short hop), then work from there.
While Ness may beat Snake in the air due to his mobility and maybe air attack speed as well (let me check on this) do remember that Snake's Bair and Uair have more kill power than Ness' (For example Ness' Bair kills Mario at 110% on FD...well Snake's does it at 97%...and for the Uair...Ness is 122...Snake is 109), his Fair...it doesn't matter if you get hit by the spike or the "sour spot" you don't want to get hit by it...oh and the last hit on his Nair and Dair chain is like an 80% kill move or so...

I think the matchup is 65-35 snake.
If I was to give any numbers...
I'm thinking 6-4...however I don't sway toward 65-35 (I may be the other way) but yeah...Snake has the plus if anything

_clinton

Smash Master
Oh and about DACUS...the fact that Snake's is so great makes me think he might beat Ness at mobility as well...Anyway...anyone feel like listing which moves Snake has that won't kill?

Also PKNintendo...please put a number next to Lucario...

Bartolon

Smash Lord
The grenade camping can be a pain. Approaching through air can be good but I think th grenades interfere with arials like (fair,nair) Maybe PK fire through air or something? I don't know a good strategy against snake, but ness dominates his air game by far imo. Grabbing can be hard, because of the grenades and tilts.

60-40 or 65-35 for snake.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
Oh and about DACUS...the fact that Snake's is so great makes me think he might beat Ness at mobility as well...Anyway...anyone feel like listing which moves Snake has that won't kill?

Also PKNintendo...please put a number next to Lucario...
UpB... and maybe dtilt?

Morningstar

Smash Journeyman
Tilts > bat.

Watch out for dthrow tech chase. Approach with Fair. Fair-jab is good at low percent. Block Snake's jab after the first hit because the rest won't always connect. A good combo my friend uses against me is PK Fire-down throw and he can sometimes follow with a Fair. Snake is also really easy to spike out of his recovery. If you can't spike him, try the bair. Just keep your kill moves fresh. (bair, uair, bthrow, fsmash) Roll over mines or use PK Fire to diffuse them. Grenades and Nikita missiles can also stop your PK Thunder whilst recovering.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Snake dropping a box on Ness' recovery for the lulz.
That's pretty situational. Someone using Snake tried this on me before but failed doing so. :laugh: Anyway, I don't really know how to deal with Snake. You've got offensive ones and then campy ones. I'd like to say this is 60:40, Snake. I mean I don't truly find Snake all that hard, just time consuming. I suppose it's because I've been coming across some Snake mains lately, but not losing too horribly.

@ PKNintendo: I went with 60:40, Lucario's favor vs Ness. But after playing Dawei's Lucario, my opinion has changed about that ratio. Also, I see a lot of ratios that I think should be changed.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I went with 60:40, Lucario's favor vs Ness. But after playing Dawei's Lucario, my opinion has changed about that ratio.
:laugh: See, this is exactly why people shouldn't use matchup ratios.

Regardless of whether or not you rely on some mysterious number that indicates you have the advantage, if the person is better than you, you will lose.

Conversely, if said mysterious number calls the matchup impossible, and you are better than your opponent, you will win. A lot of times people post things like "Well, I thought it was 75:25, but after playing X, I'm not sure..." It's like they're proving that matchup ratios are meaningless but not realizing it. One ratio can't account for every single player of that character in the world... Some you can handle with ease, while others will simply be better players. 'Tis a fact of life Smash.

smash64

Smash Champion
since i 2nd play snake and my friend that i always play plays snake too i pretty much know the match up so im guessing its all about how much eperience you have agaisnt the character your playing

Top Bottom