• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit General Match-Up Thread

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I was just reading the Project M Character Ranking topic by Overswarm and I noticed that Pit was in the D tier for usage. Even GnW had more usage then him. Why? If he is matching up favorably against the top tier characters people should catch on, but they don't.

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
I keep hearing the term "gimmick" being thrown around in terms of GnW's tactics and moves. I don't know if it's just me, but I tend to define a gimmicky techniques as moves that are easily exploitable, but have glaring weaknesses. On the contrary, I actually believe GnW's moveset and combo tree lend itself to being very safe for their potential reward returns.

GnW's moveset in general ARE pretty easily exploitable with a few exceptions. Hence why I keep saying that GnW really isn't good.

I'll just have to prove this at Zenith.

QraQ

Smash Ace
How d
GnW's moveset in general ARE pretty easily exploitable with a few exceptions. Hence why I keep saying that GnW really isn't good.

I'll just have to prove this at Zenith.
How would you prove it? lol
Kinda requires a general consensus imo. Playing against and beating him doesn't prove he's baaaaaaaaaad.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Yep. I mean, not to be rude or anything, but what top GnW's do you play? It's best to get practice from top players of a character to get a better feel of playing MU's.

Vixen

Premium
i played whoever were at apex.

who top players do you guys play, period? At least Stephen can play with Sethlon, but QraQ lives in the midwest where nobody good lives, for example. At least I get to go out of state, and I live in a top level state.

QraQ

Smash Ace
Yep. I mean, not to be rude or anything, but what top GnW's do you play? It's best to get practice from top players of a character to get a better feel of playing MU's.
I really don't play top level GnWs tbh. I just practice GnW a lot and think many of you are downplaying him too much. Project M has an evolving metagame. I could've very well found something that works well with GnW that you all don't know. I just don't like immediate pessimism from people who write off a character in a developing game. Based on what I've found, I think GnW has a lot of potential. I'm no novice to this game either even though I haven't been a known player of this community. I played melee competitively for over 9 years and even though I was never a top level player, that doesn't mean I don't understand the technical applications that characters possess; especially since this is a game where the metagame is still being created

P.S. I played with Sethlon back when he was a Roy main in the professional Houston melee community years ago. He may remember me as DeeV8 though lol =/

Vixen

Premium
You've played longer than me and you're notocably less refined a player.

That speaks loads.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk 2

BlinkIV

Avenger
Right, well I'm not downplaying GnW at all, I'm well aware of his potential and what he's able to do. Although it'd make more of a difference to play good and notable GnW's and see what you get from that, compared to friendlies, etc. Also, cool that you played Sethlon's Roy, it's really cool.

Vixen

Premium
Sorry for all the negativity, I just completely disagree and thing gnw is balls.

I'm flying out to NJ today. I hope you guys don't completely hate me for being fairly abrasive, and will cheer me on. <3

Vixen

Premium
i completely disagree, considering i played good gnws at apex.

i doubt people have developed radically different technology since then.

D

Deleted member

I don't think GAW is that good either but that's mostly because he's basically a worse Marth in a game where Marth isn't that good either. All non-movement methods of proactive interaction are fairly committal and his movement really isn't good enough to overcome the difference to play around that negative attribute.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i played whoever were at apex.

who top players do you guys play, period? At least Stephen can play with Sethlon, but QraQ lives in the midwest where nobody good lives, for example. At least I get to go out of state, and I live in a top level state.
lol
while this holds true for melee, this couldn't be further from the truth for PM. the midwest is considered one of the strongest regions in project m, being home to kirk, vro, metroid, kels, and myself, among many others.
I was just reading the Project M Character Ranking topic by Overswarm and I noticed that Pit was in the D tier for usage. Even GnW had more usage then him. Why? If he is matching up favorably against the top tier characters people should catch on, but they don't.
because more good players are using game and watch than pit? this isn't pokemon, characters aren't actually ranked by how popular they are. they're ranked by how good they are.

Vixen

Premium
You do have a point Strong Bad. I should reiterate and say that QraQ's scene specifically does not look particularly good based off what he's shown me.

Oracle

Smash Master
what good gnws have you played? dakpo and I (and I assume wobbles but i haven't seen him play) are the best of the best, by a fairly massive margin. Also at Apex the game had been out for about a month, so I doubt whomever you were playing had mastered the character.

Come to texas this summer. if you think its so free dakpo and I will gladly take your money in an exhibition match

QraQ

Smash Ace
what good gnws have you played? dakpo and I (and I assume wobbles but i haven't seen him play) are the best of the best, by a fairly massive margin. Also at Apex the game had been out for about a month, so I doubt whomever you were playing had mastered the character.

Come to texas this summer. if you think its so free dakpo and I will gladly take your money in an exhibition match
Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssssssss.
Oh and in case it wasn't obvious, I'll MM you too Mizuki. With GnW or whoever. I mean, if you really want to settle this regional piss match rofl.

Vixen

Premium
I plan on coming, actually. :3

Also, there's nothing to settle. You live in a region where your best player is noticably worse than our unranked players. I'll be happy to take people's money. :3

The only thing holding me back is I don't know if I'll have enough vacation time after my Zenith trip.

QraQ

Smash Ace
I plan on coming, actually. :3

Also, there's nothing to settle. You live in a region where your best player is noticably worse than our unranked players. I'll be happy to take people's money. :3

The only thing holding me back is I don't know if I'll have enough vacation time after my Zenith trip.
You and this regional debate. Hopefully once I beat you it'll show you that your region doesn't necessarily dictate your skill level. I mean, if you have an open-mind at all considering what I heard from your rather close-minded view of GnW lulz.

But I tell you what, Ima use the money I get from you to light a fire in me. You should be glad that you're going to usher a better player into the scene.

Vixen

Premium
I'm going to beat you, for sure. I hope that makes you a better player.

@1 winged: I might not have enough vacation time for that.

Vixen

Premium
That was my mistake I already clarified. Calling loldaho out. Not mw.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk 2

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Does Pit have an abnormally good standing tech? Like for teching bananas
Also is his glide toss the farthest in the game? It's either 1st or 2nd with Luigi as 1st

BlinkIV

Avenger
He does have a pretty good standing tech, especially against bananas (Thanks, Disqo). Do you mean his AGT or regular Glide Toss? He seems to have a pretty useful AGT, especially combined with his glide. One cool thing I abuse against Diddy/Peach is: Grounded Glide > AGT Back/down > Air glide > Anythin.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
His glide toss, here's a video of stuff. Turn your sound up if you want to hear it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHcWCsLuAgc

His Aerials that AC in a SH are Up-air/Fair/Bair, His Aerials that can be jumped out of in a SH are only Fair (so it can be wavelanded, or use Nair after it, which is his only double aerial possible in a SH)

One thing the video doesn't show is AGT'ing Out of shield, and I don't mean glide tossing a banana you already have, but a banana near you while in shield can be AGT'd just like when in the video it shows pit throwing it off the ground after a Fair/Arrow.

So you can SH Arrow Diddy while instantly throwing his bananas off the ground, as well as after SH Fair.

Any tips on the Peach MU? Should I be able to and try out-camping her on PS2, and what if they ban PS2?

BlinkIV

Avenger
Nice find there, it seems like a pretty long glide toss, I want to say around..Falco/Diddy's glide toss range from Brawl.\

I've been experimenting with trying to do AGT OoS, it's really weird. What do you think would be more useful to escape a situation from Diddy? AGT OoS or Glide OoS > AGT? This seems like something really interesting to find out, to be honest.

Against Peach, I don't have experience against top Peaches, but from the ones I played and beat in tournament, just keep her in the air at all times if possible. U-Throw is an excellent tool, and abuse U-Air whenever they try to take an aerial approach, it works really well against Peach. Pit does have the tools to camp Peach out, try to catch a turnip if you can, and play the neutral game like you're fighting against Diddy. Stage-wise, PS2 is a good stage, although personally, for starter stages. I recommend BF, SV, PS2, FoD. For Counterpicks, I recommend either: Halberd, Dracula's Castle, Metal Cavern, Norfair, WarioWare.

Realistically, take her anywhere with a small ceiling, most of your kills against Peach (Or any floaty) will be off the top. (U-Air > Up-B is your best friend), same with U-Smash. That's just my current take on it.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Thanks I've never been able to Weak Up-air to Up-b, is the Weak up-air like at the very end of the move or something since it always bounces them up pretty high: do you got video of it? Am I suppose to being camping on pretty much all those stages or change my tactics for like Warioware and Metal cavern to abuse something specific? What stages do I ban vs Peach and then TLink/ROB

Well if you have a banana in your hand you can either Glide toss OOS or AGT, if the bananas beside you (even a pretty hefty distance away) you can still AGT it and choose to raise up or stay grounded like a glide toss but it's not a true Glide toss (at least I couldn't really tell, but I think it has to technically be a cancelled roll which I don't think is happening since you're JC'ing OOS to initiate the AGT)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9yZaBPp5ZF0#t=155s

Glide toss is definitely farther than AGT for Pit so Glide toss backwards is probably best for retreating from an incoming dash attack/grab/side-b grab/his own glide toss of a banana at you, or even if Diddys about to be coming down from an aerial at you but you have enough time (The momentum comes before the banana gets launched, so you're going to be relying on that for dodging the aerial more than the banana from stopping it in certain cases). If he had a worse Glide toss the AGT would be better: although like Diddy he has all around fast enough aerials to do I think all of his aerials after a SH AGT even with no momentum upward, so being offensive with adequate space can give you SH AGT Forward/Backward to Fair/Bair or SH AGT Downward while raising slightly upward to Dair.

Rarik

Smash Journeyman
Glide toss is when you interrupt/cancel your roll with an item throw/toss (It's a brawl tech). It keeps the momentum and throws the item. Aerial Glide Toss is just an air dodge instead of a roll. Anyone can do it, but since you need an item it's only really used when there's a Diddy/Peach/The Links

Top Bottom