• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit General Match-Up Thread

BlinkIV

Avenger
No way! Not even, dude. Sonic is such a fun MU to fight with Pit. Since 2.1, Pit wasn't really as solid as he was now, and Sonic was a fraudulent character.

So, I've played this MU a fair amount of times, mainly against Sethlon. So like, approaching can be a little hard at times, but for the most part, if you can bait Sonic to approach you, almost any of Pit's aerials will hit and you can combo off that for a good % lead, which is really helpful. Sonic doesn't really have trouble going in, or causing trouble for Pit. Off-stage as well, Pit still definitely has the advantage Vs Sonic. Imo, if Sonic gets you off-stage and goes for a gimp, Pit can get around that by mixing up recovery tools, and if Sonic goes for his Up-B "gimp" (The spring gimp), you can actually Up-B under it, and Pit's shield will beat it out.

So for the most part, you can just bait Sonic, sometimes camp him with arrows and force him to approach, space D-air's on his shield is really good, and can shield poke him majority of the time (Due to Sonic's shield not being that good), and if you space almost any aerial correctly, you can't get OoS grabbed either, since Sonic has very short grab range. So that's really easy for Pit to abuse in that MU. I don't think in any way that Sonic is Pit's worst MU.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
No way! Not even, dude. Sonic is such a fun MU to fight with Pit. Since 2.1, Pit wasn't really as solid as he was now, and Sonic was a fraudulent character.

So, I've played this MU a fair amount of times, mainly against Sethlon. So like, approaching can be a little hard at times, but for the most part, if you can bait Sonic to approach you, almost any of Pit's aerials will hit and you can combo off that for a good % lead, which is really helpful. Sonic doesn't really have trouble going in, or causing trouble for Pit. Off-stage as well, Pit still definitely has the advantage Vs Sonic. Imo, if Sonic gets you off-stage and goes for a gimp, Pit can get around that by mixing up recovery tools, and if Sonic goes for his Up-B "gimp" (The spring gimp), you can actually Up-B under it, and Pit's shield will beat it out.

So for the most part, you can just bait Sonic, sometimes camp him with arrows and force him to approach, space D-air's on his shield is really good, and can shield poke him majority of the time (Due to Sonic's shield not being that good), and if you space almost any aerial correctly, you can't get OoS grabbed either, since Sonic has very short grab range. So that's really easy for Pit to abuse in that MU. I don't think in any way that Sonic is Pit's worst MU.
I have nothing against Sethlon but I think his style is more Pit friendly. I've played and had some fun matches with good sonics. I went about even-ish with a sonic player from Texas and I was like...this is kinda fun. Then I played Wizzrobe....and the way he plays is nothing like any of the other sonic. Your options are limited to go for a time-out or you lose slowly...or get lucky somehow with an SD...but as far as out and out winning against Sonic it's like...not possible. Not if they are as good as Wizzrobe.

BlinkIV

Avenger
A sonic player from Texas? The only one's who are legit Sonic mains are Sethlon, and Problemo right now. But, I've seen Wizzrobe play, and I wouldn't really consider that good, as his whole game revolves around Down-B into Neutral-B (Blast to the past from 2.1), whereas Sethlon actually plays Sonic and does things, lol.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
A sonic player from Texas? The only one's who are legit Sonic mains are Sethlon, and Problemo right now. But, I've seen Wizzrobe play, and I wouldn't really consider that good, as his whole game revolves around Down-B into Neutral-B (Blast to the past from 2.1), whereas Sethlon actually plays Sonic and does things, lol.
Seeing someone play is not the same as playing them. The side-B is a bigger problem imo.... But to say that you wouldn't consider it good is kind of a foolish statement. If it is unstoppable minus a handful of people and someone takes the time to master it then...well gg's. It's like me arguing that Wobbles isn't good because all he did was wobble when wobbling was legal and that someone else who doesn't wobble is better with IC's....could I make the argument?...yeah? no? doesn't matter really because in the end...it's available for use and if someone doesn't use all their tools then of course they will seem easier to play against....and trust me when I say Sonic has some things that are pretty near wobbling up to like 70% on pit....it's not even a joke man. You haven't played against a sonic until you play Justin's.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Lmfao, dude. I never said it was unstoppable, but this argument on this Sonic MU is exactly this:

Aggro Sonic vs Pit (Sethlon) or any Sonic that has a campy "defensive" style.

So, with that being said, I already know what Sonic can do on Pit, and Pit can do exactly the same thing on Sonic, this MU isn't his worst, I can guarantee that. But there's also difference in me not playing Justin's Sonic, and you not playing against Alex' Sonic. But until you play Alex, and until I play Justin. There won't any solid sayings about Sonic Vs Pit without there being solid proof of how different style Pits play against different style Sonics, and which comes out being the best.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Lmfao, dude. I never said it was unstoppable, but this argument on this Sonic MU is exactly this:

Aggro Sonic vs Pit (Sethlon) or any Sonic that has a campy "defensive" style.

So, with that being said, I already know what Sonic can do on Pit, and Pit can do exactly the same thing on Sonic, this MU isn't his worst, I can guarantee that. But there's also difference in me not playing Justin's Sonic, and you not playing against Alex' Sonic. But until you play Alex, and until I play Justin. There won't any solid sayings about Sonic Vs Pit without there being solid proof of how different style Pits play against different style Sonics, and which comes out being the best.
I've not played Alex's sonic but I've played that style of Sonic...if that makes sense. I've played 4 sonic's so far. The only one that consistently is near impossible to beat is Wizzrobe's style. Think of the way Armada had success vs Mango's style of Puff...but Hbox's style of puff his peach simply couldn't beat.

It's the same thing with Sonic. Anyone who's willing to give pit a chance as sonic is probably going to regret it when they get Uair juggled to death.

but yeah, we'll see how things turn out...I'm not interested in talking about the Sonic MU because I think the ultimate evolution of this particular MU is not very fun. If both players want to win...it'll be defensive on both fronts...and it will resemble brawl to an extent. Pit camping the ledge/platform camping and running away, with sonic spin-camping or whatever it's called and....it's just homo. Trust me man ;).

Anyways I might need to take another look at some MU's I've played alot lately. ZSS and Lucas for example.

BlinkIV

Avenger
I know exactly how the brawl MU is played, lol. I was a Brawl player to, I know this stuff. To be honest, ZSS seems like one of Pit's worst MU's, this is just mere speculation though.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I know exactly how the brawl MU is played, lol. I was a Brawl player to, I know this stuff. To be honest, ZSS seems like one of Pit's worst MU's, this is just mere speculation though.
Well the first 2 ZSS's I played were good but aggro and aggro ZSS can do well but once she gets in a pit combo it's usually like. alot of percent or death. I have some matches against ZSS who is very campy...like super defensive campy and I'll upload them sometime between today/tomorrow. It's alright...I mean if ZSS plays that way I still think pit can out play her defensively but it's alot closer than a straight up fight.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Yeah, I've played a few aggro's ZSS' as well, but I'm talking overall game, approach-wise, off-stage style, that stuff. To see who does that better, and who has the edge in those aspects.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Yeah, I've played a few aggro's ZSS' as well, but I'm talking overall game, approach-wise, off-stage style, that stuff. To see who does that better, and who has the edge in those aspects.
I'll record and upload the matches then. and you can tell me what you think.

Oracle

Smash Master
Lol archangel. If you're losing to wizzrobe's down b camping using a character that has an aimable projectile, learning a matchup is going to be the least of your worries

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Lol archangel. If you're losing to wizzrobe's down b camping using a character that has an aimable projectile, learning a matchup is going to be the least of your worries
Are you some kind of idiot?...or did you just not read carefully? I even said side-B is more of an issue that Down-B when it comes to this stun-slide...it's hard as hell to do...but if you are lucky enough one day you'll get hit by it. I call it sonic spin-ball combo :).

Anyways the aim-able projectile naturally goes over sonic's head once he is in motion...Which means you got to hit him dead on while he's moving and he can cancel, go upward...etc at any point in time so shooting him constantly is actually much more of a hassle than you might realize. Assuming you play against a sonic that is aware of what they can do to pit. If you aren't then by all means feel free to enjoy it. I did ;).

on another note the ZSS campfest is uploaded. I'll post it in the video thread.

Oracle

Smash Master
for some wifi random who has no tournament experience you sure do act entitled. You should go accomplish something noteworthy first, then when you talk down to people, at least it'll make sense. And btw, a combo video where you don't end half the combos doesn't count as noteworthy.

As for your comments, I fail to see what you're even saying wizzrobe does. All I see him do is camp in place with down b, which pit should have no trouble with, and all you've said in response to that is "side b is hard for me to deal with". What exactly are you having trouble with?

BlinkIV

Avenger
Shots have been fired. But to be fair, he's got a point about this. I mean, I'm not sure if you consider Wizzrobe better than Sethlon, but it's like I said earlier, you shouldn't be having trouble against someone who's game relies around Down-B and Side-B, even though that says a lot. I play Sethlon majority of the time, and another Sonic player here in Texas, Problemo, and there's not much trouble I have to see in the MU. Maybe you're just getting outplayed by Wizz?

BlinkIV

Avenger
Hey man, just tossing out the idea, I'm seriously wondering how this MU is so bad for Pit, I doubt it 100%, sorry Archangel, lol.

Trust me on this, it would be MUCH more believable if this were 2.1 Vs 2.1 Sonic. I just don't get it. Somethings just don't make sense anymore. Like this for example.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
foolishness...
I imagine this must be what it was like trying to explain the Fox MU to Link player who hadn't yet seen waveshine back in 05....frustration...I'm wondering why you believe that the apex videos that you saw is what Wizzrobe is limited to. What makes you think that all you've seen so far is all that Wizz's sonic is capable of and....I could be wrong but neither of you has played him right? Don't know him? or have ever said more than a few forum words to him....am I right? People like you once scoffed at how Hbox was limited to Bair camping...and he went on to become the #1 player for a time....so really you should probably

Now as for match-up inexperience I've played sonic. I've was about even-ish or I got the better of the matches every time because basic sonic stuff doesn't beat pit. Therefore if Sethlon(I like him btw since his roy days.) hasn't figured it out then...well enjoy your success against him. Continue to feel he's the best sonic/player in the world....truth is we won't know until all of these regional dominant players start to meet up...

As for you 1-wing..... There is no need to go all girly mouth about me because I suggested that your boy crush might not no something that Wizzrobe does. I like Sethlon and I respect him as a player but you....you are a man of 2 faces and 0 balls... Until that day or I can afford to get out there myself shut the **** up and take my balls out of your mouth....If you really want to play me pay my way out there and I'll play you then I'll beat you, then I'll leave. Not everyone is fortunate enough to run all over creation playing a video game. Dickface..

Oracle

Smash Master

Wizzrobe's **** must hurt from you riding it so hard. You still haven't actually explained why you think sonic beats pit, which is hilarious. I don't even play pit, i just came in here to call you out on being an arrogant douche. That last paragraph is priceless...lmao

As far as sonic experience goes, Xeven's tournament matches with the highest nationally placing Sonic player hold a bit more weight than wifi friendlies with wizzrobe, so i'm inclined to believe him a bit more than you lol. Not to say that your opinion is worthless, although it is a little hard to ascertain when you choose to vent your buttmad instead of actually discussing.

PB&J

Smash Hero
Lol @ this thread.

I feel like some people think they know what they are talking about and its funny.

Im not going to argue which person is better. I think results stands for itself.

People saying that Zss is a bad match up for Pit needs to play some better Pits,but i didnt come here to argue.

One more thing:

Please stop Judging people from watching there vids and stop jumping on bandwagons when a certain amount people say things about players..peace

BlinkIV

Avenger
You just became my hero for that, PB&J. But real though, I do agree on ZSS looking like a bad MU for Pit, I haven't played against Frozen or any good ZSS that's dominating right now, but I've played against Oracle's, Sethlon's, and Disqo's, and everytime I go Pit against that MU, it's always troublesome, no matter what way I approach it, so I'm definitely inclined to believe that it's a bad MU for Pit.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
You just became my hero for that, PB&J. But real though, I do agree on ZSS looking like a bad MU for Pit, I haven't played against Frozen or any good ZSS that's dominating right now, but I've played against Oracle's, Sethlon's, and Disqo's, and everytime I go Pit against that MU, it's always troublesome, no matter what way I approach it, so I'm definitely inclined to believe that it's a bad MU for Pit.
so far the hardest thing about that MU for me is...just not getting frustrated when ZSS starts moving everywhere....but I get into aggro mode sometimes so it's my fault. I think ZSS being campy delays the inevitable but...if you make to many mistakes she can beat you.

BlinkIV

Avenger
I don't think campy ZSS makes a difference, tbh. She has the tools to deal with Pit's tools, she can shut down his air game with her moves, Pit can have a hard time recovering most of the time against ZSS. Example being: If Pit recovers high, the ZSS can just Up-B, and bring Pit down to the ground (or off-stage) and get a free jab reset combo. Or if Pit goes low, a ZSS can time D-Smash, and then whatever she wants from there. If you get D-Smashed off-stage while you're in glide, it's almost 90% impossible to recover, unless you retain all 3 jumps and BARELY sweetspot the ledge.

Even onstage though, ZSS can deal with Pit rather easily imo. It's not un-winnable by any means, but I feel any Pit would have to heavily outplay a ZSS to do work.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
shoot her with your arrows, That's my solution so far if they are far enough away from me. ZSS is dangerous for Pit in the air and on the ground but Pit's combo game on ZSS is alot easier.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Yeah, that's what I plan to do. What other MU to discuss. How about Mario.
Mario....Mario...I'm inclined to feel this match-up is close to even...but I'm not sure overall who to swing it in favor of if I have to. Somedays I say pit....other days mario...but alot of it has to do with stages.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I don't know, I haven't played any notable Mario's.
I've had issues with Mario since 2.1 and I honestly feel alot of it was me. 2.5 pit feels like he can do better vs Mario but...the cape. If not for the cape I think pit would destroy Mario overall but that DAMN CAPE!

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Archangel. Do you actually, like.....play this game? Cuz...like....wow.
I like the fact that you are like...so late to the party that your post has no place in this thread. You have nothing to offer at all so why even bother?

In anycase....I need notes on a few of pit's MU's because I haven't played them on a high/great level yet. those being Pit vs Squirtle, Pikachu, and Charizard.

Also, should I go in depth into pit vs Mario. I could write a novel on it but....i don't know...it's one of those things....I guess I could write out what I know so far if anyone is interested.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I'm interested in what you think.
k...

intro info stuff:

IMO this Match-up could be anywhere between 55-45 Mario to 60-40 Pit...so I have it at even-ish for now.

Major deciding factor in this Match-up so far is Stage selection. Anything with a wall and Mario is suddenly on your level of recovery(higher in some cases considering he can survive longer on YS/WW for example).

The best stages to pick in my experience so far(depending on rules of course) Battlefield, Halberd, Kongo Jungle, Skyworld, and Smashville because there is no wall to up-b tech for Mario. Following those would be Pokemon Stadium 1, DL64, and Rumble Falls. Although they have walled sides they aren't as long or as easy to wall jump with up-B and they also have plenty of room for you to play like a ***. Stages to avoid would be Dracula's Castle, Yoshi's Story, Yoshi's island, Warioware, Green Hill Zone, and Fountain of Dreams. The Stages I didn't mention seem good for both characters. Those stages being Final Destination, Norfair, Skyloft, Metal Cavern, Castle Siege, Pokemon Stadium 2, and Delfino Plaza. In conclusion...the stages lists will decide the fate of this MU in the end but for now I'm sticking with evenish....

Mario vs Pit

As soon as the Brawl announcers says go! the first thing Mario and Pit will do is press Neutral B so I'll get this out of the way. First things first is the camping war, in my experience you lose on anything mid-small size stages and you win on large-giant sized stages. Pit likes it big, no shock there. The reason why actually comes down to Mario having the superior reflecting tool. Pit's Mirror is good, damn good but not nearly as good as Mario's cape. B-sticking with Neutral-B and using Mario's cape it allows him to get into offensive and passive position fairly easily. You can leave your shield out for days but on mid-smaller stages Mario has enough time to get to you and punish your end lag or even worse. He can humiliate you by using the cape on your mirror like it doesn't exist damaging you and turning you around so he can give you a prostate exam. Of course on a larger stage you have enough time to play this projectile/reflecting game while remaining relatively safe from punishment. This will be a very very gay match if pit and mario both are committed to dominating the projectile game and not offensively minded.

The only chances you have in this area on a small stage is to get above doc and try to rain arrows down on him in the hopes that he will start high jumping since his fireball will only go as high as he jumps. from there you can fly in under him knock him higher up in the air and keep him there or, if you are feeling froggy you can bull rush Mario and try to keep on top of him so he doesn't have room to spam. Both Mario and Pit have a Clank-able projectile. Meaning you can Nair through Mario's Fireballs like they are candy and Mario can do the same thing to your arrows but I wouldn't recommend it as an initial approach for either. The main reason being there is a good chance the fireball or arrow could angle the hitbox in which case you get hit and put into bad a position. However with more experience and in the MU I would suggest Nair walling through Mario's Neut-B because the reward(another Nair and/or double fair which can lead to potential death if you edgeguard well) is great enough.

All projectiles aside The Match-up can be easy with Pit if you remember the 3 most important things in this Match.
1.Spacing
2.Spacing
3.SPACING!

Pit's aerials are fast and most of the time if Mario goes for one at the same time you do then you will beat him out(especially the Fair). I've also found a home for Reverse Bair combos especially on the extended combos that might not make it in time before the cape. Should the cape turn you around you will get your standard Bair attack on mario which means you may have a chance to then continue combo'ing or edgeguarding Mario depending on which hitbox he gets hit with. Pit's Jabs have an interesting function to remember, 2nd hit pulls opponents in, 3rd hit knocks them slightly out, Pit's tilts can also auto-cancel after the 2nd jab, Meaning you can A-A-Ftilt, Utilt, or Downtilt for some interesting mix ups and Combo starters/kill setups.

Some aerials if done right can be shielded without you getting destroyed but be careful. Mario is capable of punishing bad habits and just plain dumb approaches especially Out of shield. Mario's combos rival the best of them now and he can combo you into aerial or grounded finish(fair or Fsmash). So if you are hit/grabbed by a good Mario it's important that you know the Combo DI and the correct throw DI to avoid a painful finish to your stock or massive %. Often you'll be in a position where you'll have to pick the lesser of 2 evil outcomes though. For example DI'ing the Dthrow away from Mario might put you on a platform or in position to be tech-chased at low%, but that is nothing compared to DI'ing wrong and getting 40%-death. So...my personal advise for overcoming this MU is safety first. save the Flashy combos for fast-fallers and bulky characters.

Getting Mario above you is your ideal position(no homo). Uair, Usmash, arrows and well timed Up-B are pretty much doom for a Mario who lingers above you. As long as you can keep a good read on him you should be able to follow him with Uairs and switch to a Nair or Fair at higher %'s to lead him off stage.

This is what I got so far. Anything to add?

Top Bottom