• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu Social Thread

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
This was in Brawl too, if you QA'ed to the ground you could do any aerial. In Brawl the only thing you could get from it was the second hit of Dair, in P:M I think you can get think you can get a tiny/small part of some other moves, jumping is typically better though.
I know. I think you could also get one hit of fair in brawl too. I know you can get nair and dair in PM, so you can probably get fair in as well.

Jiggle4Life

Smash Ace
I use tap jump most of the time but I'll also use x and l to wavedash out of it.

Also just wanted to say this: pika can still do an aerial when you qa from the ground to the left or right and then down, since there's a bit of time when he's in the air. I don't think it's useful at all though.
By the way you don't have to jump before you wave dash out of qac your already in the air so you can just press l/r not sure if it makes a difference tho

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
I use tap jump most of the time but I'll also use x and l to wavedash out of it.

Also just wanted to say this: pika can still do an aerial when you qa from the ground to the left or right and then down, since there's a bit of time when he's in the air. I don't think it's useful at all though.
You can get the first hitbox or two out of his upair out, which will pop them up for a followup. You can also throw out a bair and even though a hitbox won't come out, you'll land during the autocancel window and will only get 5(?) frames of landing lag IIRC. This can be useful for if you want to act quickly out of your QAC, but don't want to jump out of it. Aerials out of QAC are far from useless.

You can see Anther do an upair out of a QAC at 6:57 in a ditto against Axe

Scatz

Smash Champion
So Pika players, have anyone ever tried to use wavelanding after upB? I think it seems to be really good for spacing or being able to follow up with smash attacks across the stage.

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah. QA right to the opponent then waveland back is always nice to make them whiff an attack and punish with F-smash. It also helps for positioning and helps get into close range with shields and grabs

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
I play Pikachu in Melee and I wanna start using him in PM. What are the new tricks that are in PM that aren't in Melee that I should learn? I know quick attack cancelling is one of them.

Also, who are some PM Pikas to watch?

Last edited:

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
I play Pikachu in Melee and I wanna start using him in PM. What are the new tricks that are in PM that aren't in Melee that I should learn? I know quick attack cancelling is one of them.

Also, who are some PM Pikas to watch?
His up-throw is different from Melee because of something with Brawl's engine made things weird, but apparently the PMBR is working on fixing it. His bair is like 64 one and much more useful now. You can now b-reverse moves, so b-reversed thunders and jolts are in the mix. You can even jump offstage and b-reverse a thunder to create a wall of lightning down the screen. Besides all that, it's basically just Melee Pikachu, but with some minor buffs to his aerials.

As for PM Pikachus to watch, watch Anther and Axe.

JakieWinks

Smash Apprentice
What are the new tricks that are in PM that aren't in Melee that I should learn?
Like you said quick attack cancelling (QaC) is the biggest and most important thing. Learning how to be fluent in moving with qac's (QaCing into more QaCs, wavedashing out of qac, using grounded aerials out if qac, ect), you'll be really good and it leads to some serious mind games. Focus mainly on that, but bair is a kill move, utilt and uair still juggle, and usmash is still godly. Mess around for awhile, you'll fall in love with pika.

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
Anyone know a good use for dash attack or is it just unusable?
When somebody is offstage, but a little bit over the ledge and you don't really have a move that you can get out quick enough, you can dash attack to poke them a little bit further offstage. Overall, the move is pretty butt

$$$ammy

Smash Rookie
Was the skype group ever made? If so, can someone add me? my username is caillouxu

If it wasn't made, i'd love to start it

Needsmorespin

Smash Cadet
as someone just starting to pick up Pikachu (wanted to for awhile, Axe's top 8 performance finally convinced me), any beginners advice?

CitizenSnips5

Smash Rookie
Yep, of course it's an extremely niche situation. :p

Dash Attack was never good ever, was it? Like even in 64
I have a real problem with Dash Attack and was looking for some insight actually. My roommates and I have all been playing smash since 64, and we play some serious casuals in Brawl almost every night. One of them always wins as Falco no matter what it seems, he uses a lot of jabs to U-smash and we usually get stuck in them. I've always mained Pikachu since 64.

No matter how hard I try I can't ever not use dash attack when dashing towards opponents. I'm never trying to, I'm usually going for a jump to Nair (which usually I'll over shoot and go sailing over them), or I try using F-tilt, but similarly I always end up F-smashing instead. I can't seem to ever find the sweet spot on the stick that lets me tilt. I've tried letting go of the control stick to avoid dash attack, but then I just awkwardly slide towards my opponent and am instantly punished with jabs.

Anyways, if anyone has any ideas It'd be much appreciated, I've seem countless videos of ESAM and Axe playing and wish I could be at a 10th of that technical level haha

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
@ Needsmorespin Needsmorespin I'd recommend getting used to how small Pika's general range is and how you use your speed and movement mix-ups to compensate. Footsies is a lot more dynamic and has less room for error, but Pika's advantage here is that he can throw out moves relatively quickly, so learn how to use your faster attacks first. Nair, Uair, and tilts should be prioritized first. Learn to control quick attack angles before trying to QAC, it gives you a much more solid base. And once you get comfortable, don't be afraid to chase your opponents offstage to guarantee your kills, since Pika can usually attack first and still make it back to the stage.

@ C CitizenSnips5 Are you shorthopping those Nairs? I think dashed SHFFL Nair should hit most opponents even if they're crouching, unless you space it so that the apex of your jump is above them or they're short like Kirby. And yeah, trying to F-tilt after getting used to a dash jump aerial can be tough, but slowing down your pressure on the control stick is just going to be something you muscle memorize, so I guess F-tilt on sandbags/CPUs until you get it.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I recently picked up Pikachu as my official secondary. I've watched enough Axe and Anther to have a general idea on how to play him and during friendlies at Wavedash Wednesday last week I've been doing pretty good with him.

I'm most likely going to do a Samus hitbox thread, but I don't mind extending that to Pikachu since I don't think 3.5 will be coming out until after Big House 4. I know most of his data was transferred over from Melee but it doesn't hurt to have it in the PM boards. We still have a good month and a half to use this frame data until something might possibly be changed (not sure what it would be for Pikachu though).

Last edited:

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I'm getting tired of just relying on intuition for stage data, so I'm considering making an easy reference document. But I'm not sure this doesn't already exist somewhere; does it? If not, here's a preview:

Edges are blast zones, dark area is off-camera.

Critique/suggestions on the format is encouraged. I'm already thinking a sleeker font is necessary.

Jiggle4Life

Smash Ace
I'm getting tired of just relying on intuition for stage data, so I'm considering making an easy reference document. But I'm not sure this doesn't already exist somewhere; does it? If not, here's a preview:

Edges are blast zones, dark area is off-camera.

Critique/suggestions on the format is encouraged. I'm already thinking a sleeker font is necessary.
That would be so helpful... Wow go for it

MissFushi

Smash Rookie
I love me some Pikachu. I hope they never take him from Smash (and they never will).

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I think I've decided on a final format,

[collapse=Battlefield]
[collapse=Absolute]

[/collapse]
[collapse=Relative]

[/collapse]
[/collapse]

Question now is, should I post this stuff here as a trade secret, or in the Statistics thread, or make a new thread in General Discussion?

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
I think I've decided on a final format,

[collapse=Battlefield]
[collapse=Absolute]

[/collapse]
[collapse=Relative]

[/collapse]
[/collapse]

Question now is, should I post this stuff here as a trade secret, or in the Statistics thread, or make a new thread in General Discussion?
Where did you get this data and how? I have been thinking about this and thought it would be really helpful...

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Is there any thread that gives basic info on how to use brawl box? I have tried to figure it out myself, but that isn't working out to well...

Edit: Also, what is the unit you are using? Training room blocks? Some arbitrary unit that is easily comparable to knockback?

Last edited:

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I dunno I figured it out myself. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube though; they might be helpful.
The units are simply the units BrawlBox uses, which, I haven't checked, but I assume are the same units used throughout the game's stats (in addition to frames).

Top Bottom