• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
If you're not doing it perfect then it's not really an infinite and it's not really easy then is it. We really need an actual way to start this combo. Getting a footstool while holding a banana is near impossible to do on a decent player. I know Diddys and Sonics have a way of starting it.
Wait, so is it possible to do the uair footstool banana and then run and footstool them before then can shield?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I don't think there is enough time to go at them and start the actual infinite. Also, I know i wasn't doing it completely perfect in the vid, but you can't expect me to lol, I was just doing it to show it was possible. The banana tosses can't be used ever? Lame...
To end the infinite, it's best to use down toss instead of foward toss cause it's a little faster. Foward toss can work but the timing for it is strict.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for ignoring my question =P. But a good diddy is going to know enough about bananas not to get set up by them but you can always go for the mindgame I guess.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You know that bananas are gonna be thrown at you, but they hit you anyway, don't they? If the game was based on things that SHOULD happen, Matchups would be stupid and nobody would ever get hit. Nobody plays frame-perfect, there are always errors and now we can make a diddy error into a stock. It is absically just a better punishment for his **** ups instead of F-throw U-smash or a dair or whatever.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
You're spot on those points, and I can see what you're trying to say but in the case of naners I really don't think it's going to happen often. However I don't want to start a flame war so I'll just agree to disagree :D

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
I'm double posting because I want this to be read as a new post and not a continuation as the last topic.

Diddy has his new infinite of turning around glide tossing down turning around etcetc. couldn't pika do this as well with one of our glide tosses and proper spacing?

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
its the new infinite the diddys found. with a banana on each side of someone, they can glide toss back and forth and the opponent is stuck. there is a vid up somewhere

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Hm...it is incredibly difficult for the diddy to get anybody in that position (yes I know mindgames happen, so it can happen for the diddy) but I have never EVER been in a match where the diddy is in between 2 bananas in OUR control. If anything the AD as they land so they catch a banana. I don't think it is plausible for pikachu at all.

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
I am having problems with a really skilled DDD player who can read me out the wazoo( this is because he plays me everyday and he's also more skilled than I am). Anywho's whenever I try to get the initial grab he will either

A) Pivot Grab me, before I get the grab

B) Wait for me to try to and grab and then spot dodge then grab me

C) Laugh in my face let me get the chaingrab and then punish me for the rest of the match (I hate this one the most)

On top of that the fat ******* won't die :(

What should I do???

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
1st off, save your kill moves. If you are using u-smash and nair all the time they won't kill, especially because how fat he is. Don't be so predictable, switch it up. Don't always go for the CG, but if you have a punish, punish with a grab, there is no reason not to. Forcing the grab will get you killed. Unless I see vids I can't really help with anything else...

M15t3R E

Smash Master
He's a fat penguin and barely even capable of moving. Try approaching him with t-jolts and when you have the chance, juggle him with u-tilts or CG him to the edge of the stage. But mix your game up, and never make yourself seem too desperate to get the grab.

J4pu

Smash Champion
DDD = penguin
penguins= birds that live on ice
pikachu = electric type pokemon
electric is super effective against ice (i think due to its close relationship with water) and flying
no excuses, lvl up

lol at the infinite naner lock against D3, it looks so chaotic in that video

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, maybe we can't get it, i'll try to test it next week and maybe we can get something cool from it with this diddy inf as inspiration.

Make the penguin approach you. You have tjolts and they're great, double jump over his waddle dees if you need to try to get them over. He's going to try to punish your qac approaches with bair so try not to get in too close and bait it out and punish. As for him punishing your grabs, pivot grab yourself and don't be predictable, keep mixing it up, read spot dodges. Wait for them to end if he keeps spot dodging right as you try to get in and get the grab out of them. If he's spamming you with waddle dees and wont approach take the chance to jab the hell out of them and refresh your moves.

gallax

Smash Hero
a lot of beating ddd is not letting him rush u and get urself into a bad position. also, do not roll behind ddd. get used to shad'ing instead. u wanna get ddd in the air or behind him. in the air he can land with an inhale or bair or land. the best time to roll here is to roll behind when they inhale u.

mercy

Smash Apprentice
I have no idea what I'm supposed to do against a game and watch. His B-air beats everything pikachu has in the air, a full hop D-air is useless because he can just short hop U-air and blow me away. I can't even approach on the ground because of that table flipping **** and the fact that somehow his smash attacks have little to no ending lag and outrange all of pikachu's ground attacks (even F-smash). Camping is dumb cause of his bucket and monstrous approaches. Only thing I could do against him was pick Marth.

So Yea, if any of you guys have any effective strategies against him (with Pikachu), I'd appreciate it.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I have no idea what I'm supposed to do against a game and watch. His B-air beats everything pikachu has in the air, a full hop D-air is useless because he can just short hop U-air and blow me away. I can't even approach on the ground because of that table flipping **** and the fact that somehow his smash attacks have little to no ending lag and outrange all of pikachu's ground attacks (even F-smash). Camping is dumb cause of his bucket and monstrous approaches. Only thing I could do against him was pick Marth.

So Yea, if any of you guys have any effective strategies against him (with Pikachu), I'd appreciate it.
We did the G&W matchup recently:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=265088

Generally, I mostly rely on bait + punish. Pika doesn't have much that's guaranteed on G&W, so you definitely have to outplay your opponent..... punish all his mistakes, minimize your own, and use Pika's superior mobility to your advantage. Know when he'll lag and when it's better to just chalk it and run away, lol.

J4pu

Smash Champion
yeah, GW is annoying, just gotta play around and not commit to anything until you get him out of position
if GW is directly above you or above and facing towards you you have an advantage, his Fair is largely punishable and Dair can be beaten with a well spaced Uair as well as shield and OOS options when it isn't perfectly spaced.
SH AD crossover > Utilt is fairly good since GW has mediocre start-up on his moves, you should be able to get utilt off before he can do much and then it puts him in that spot above you.

Really though your mobility is your main advantage, bide your time until you can make use of it.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Updated the OP..... simplified the look, corrected a few links, and made minor changes to some of the answers.

The only question I wasn't too sure on was the one on the best secondaries for a Pika main...... I know Snake and MK are still the best options, but I'm hazy on the rest. So I just kept it the same and added Falco since, iirc, ESAM said Falco works out well for him MU-wise.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Updated the OP..... simplified the look, corrected a few links, and made minor changes to some of the answers.

The only question I wasn't too sure on was the one on the best secondaries for a Pika main...... I know Snake and MK are still the best options, but I'm hazy on the rest. So I just kept it the same and added Falco since, iirc, ESAM said Falco works out well for him MU-wise.
Sure, MK is a given. But I'll never succumb to his allure. For secondaries, it depends on your region. But Snake, MK, and Marth are all strong options as they cover most of Pikachu's weaknesses.

gallax

Smash Hero
what would ya'll think about having ddd as a pika secondary? i kinda like it. ddd beats snake and rob and supposedly has an adv against marth and wario.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
Haha nah I alt him. I guess he's easier to learn because I watch and get advice from Dekar all the time, my diddy still has a lot of work but I still win games with him. Pika is my mainn.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
D3 is good. It deals with wario, marth, snake, and the mother boys, while you go even with G&W and Diddy.

altairian

Smash Lord
stupid question, but just want to double check before I actually do this on purpose in a match:

every hit of our jab counts on the move decay list, yes?

Top Bottom